Daily Telegraph - Celtic to be awarded Premiership title with no league expansion as SPFL negotiate coronavirus crisis

The worst tainted title ever. Sporting integrity in the bin.

How do we as a support react to this. How do we boycott this corrupt SPFL?

I hope we as a club investigate up.every opportunity and avenue and shine torchlights in every crevice to see if we can vacate this corrupt cable at the earliest opportunity possible.

We should now say that the titles won during the war should go to our official count and fuk the dissenters
A boycott is the answer. No away tickets would sink half the league.

A club and support with zero decency. Where else is talking about football and awarding titles?

The next time we're a few points ahead in March, though, let's call for the League title to be given. Apparently that can happen.

Last edited:
Douglas Park didn’t get to where he is today without a fight, it’s time he transferred that to the Rangers and get right in about all of these mentally challenged loving bastards.

Okay, I've repeated this post from another thread but it is appropriate here, and will be more relevant as the days unfold:

From a personal point of view, I really don't give a shit if they get gifted the title now and I really don't want it for ourselves. The trophies now are death trophies. The silverware and medals will have metaphoric black ribbons on them. Who in their right mind wants death trophies and medals.
Celtic will be recognised as Scottish champions, Aberdeen will be awarded the country’s spare Europa League place, there will be no expansion of the SPFL Premiership, but the winter break would be axed, for next season at least, according to soundings taken by Telegraph Sport.
The SPFL has yet to resolve the many issues created by the truncation of its league schedules because of the Covid-19 lockdown and, as always, there are contending points of view amongst clubs, but a desperate need for income is now driving the agenda for many.
Hearts have already flagged a 50% wage reduction for staff and players, while Dundee United have placed almost all staff and players on furlough. This week, Celtic too placed some staff on furlough and promised to top up salaries after administration of the Government’s contribution of 80% of monthly income up to a limit of £2500.
Even had the campaign been proceeding normally, this would be the stage where cash flow is thinnest but, given the state of uncertainty about how and when next season will begin, most clubs badly need the money which is allotted according to final placings in the league tables. Nor can they afford to have their prospect of season ticket sales hindered by debates about league reconstruction.
Revenue from final placings would normally be distributed in May but that cannot be done for as long as the 2019-20 season is kept in abeyance, so there is a strong motive for those unaffected by title races and relegation struggles to move for the league campaign to be declared to be finished. That view has been reinforced by the decision of the Belgian Pro League to stop their competition now, with Club Brugge recognised as champions by virtue of their 15-point lead over KAA Gent, although Uefa still want national leagues to attempt to play to a finish – behind closed doors, if necessary – in July or even August.
The closed doors option has been ruled out unofficially in Scotland because, even in the event of lockdown being eased, it would require the co-operation of emergency services who are likely still to be overstretched or exhausted. There are differences between the views of the UK and Scottish governments about how long the lockdown is likely to be in place, with the Holyrood administration less inclined to contemplate a shortened quarantine.
As far as possible, clubs want to get on with selling season tickets for a set-up as close to the norm as possible, which is a barrier to those proposing league of three divisions with 14 in each. Another difficulty presented by any proposal for a truncated campaign is that those who paid for 2019-20 season tickets will not have had full value for their outlay.
One solution is to expand the scope of next season’s offers to include Scottish Cup and League Cup ties, or to issue vouchers for holders to bring along a guest for free for the equivalent of the missed games. That outcome would be beneficial for clubs with spare capacity at their grounds and would generate greater catering and merchandising revenues, but would be difficult for the likes of Celtic and Rangers, the bulk of whose spectators are season ticket holders, although they could be offered free or discounted tickets for European matches.
This season’s Scottish Cup semi-finals and semi-finals have been postponed indefinitely but could be played before December to yield a 2020 winner. The two Hampden semis– Hearts vs Hibs and Celtic vs Aberdeen – are money-spinning occasions which the contending clubs want to be played. Traditionally, the competition provides a European place for the winner or beaten finalist but, if the tournament is deferred, an entry to the Europa League would become available to the next available SPFL club – in this case Aberdeen, who are fourth in the table.

The fact that three of the four semi-finalists are SPFL clubs plus the likelihood that Hearts, even if relegated, would not be involved before the fourth round of the 2020-21 Scottish Cup - to be played next January - clears the way for a deferred finale to this season’s tournament to be played before the end of the year.
The extra fixtures would, however, add to congestion which will be created if next season starts later than the first week in August, meaning that the winter break would almost certainly have to be cancelled. Much to-and-fro will occur over the next few weeks but, barring a near-miraculous early end to the Covid-19 shutdown, the chance of a fulfilled SPFL schedule is remote.
The possibility of a wartime-style season – in which the title would have unofficial status – is adamantly opposed by most clubs sounded by Telegraph Sport. “There were no TV deals and large-scale commercial contracts during the war,” said one source. “It’s just not going to happen.”

“There were no TV deals and large-scale commercial contracts during the war,” said one source. “It’s just not going to happen.”

There’s the motivation for everything right there.

Like Reply

Okay, I've repeated this post from another thread but it is appropriate here, and will be more relevant as the days unfold:

From a personal point of view, I really don't give a shit if they get gifted the title now and I really don't want it for ourselves. The trophies now are death trophies. The silverware and medals will have metaphoric black ribbons on them. Who in their right mind wants death trophies and medals.
The 19th Century Terrorists.

Aw well at least they can't do the quadruple treble eh or are they handing that to them aswell ?

This really does add the gloss to how tainted their 9air is, unbelievable

Much more important stuff going on in the world so honestly I don't even really care at this minute what the fuk the spfl do.

Can't say I'm even arsed about this any more.

I know we've been saying it for years but this one actually will have an asterisk against it in the record books. If they even attempt to celebrate it they'll just get laughed at.

Celtic will be recognised as Scottish champions, Aberdeen will be awarded the country’s spare Europa League place, there will be no expansion of the SPFL Premiership, but the winter break would be axed, for next season at least, according to soundings taken by Telegraph Sport.
The SPFL has yet to resolve the many issues created by the truncation of its league schedules because of the Covid-19 lockdown and, as always, there are contending points of view amongst clubs, but a desperate need for income is now driving the agenda for many.
Hearts have already flagged a 50% wage reduction for staff and players, while Dundee United have placed almost all staff and players on furlough. This week, Celtic too placed some staff on furlough and promised to top up salaries after administration of the Government’s contribution of 80% of monthly income up to a limit of £2500.
Even had the campaign been proceeding normally, this would be the stage where cash flow is thinnest but, given the state of uncertainty about how and when next season will begin, most clubs badly need the money which is allotted according to final placings in the league tables. Nor can they afford to have their prospect of season ticket sales hindered by debates about league reconstruction.
Revenue from final placings would normally be distributed in May but that cannot be done for as long as the 2019-20 season is kept in abeyance, so there is a strong motive for those unaffected by title races and relegation struggles to move for the league campaign to be declared to be finished. That view has been reinforced by the decision of the Belgian Pro League to stop their competition now, with Club Brugge recognised as champions by virtue of their 15-point lead over KAA Gent, although Uefa still want national leagues to attempt to play to a finish – behind closed doors, if necessary – in July or even August.
The closed doors option has been ruled out unofficially in Scotland because, even in the event of lockdown being eased, it would require the co-operation of emergency services who are likely still to be overstretched or exhausted. There are differences between the views of the UK and Scottish governments about how long the lockdown is likely to be in place, with the Holyrood administration less inclined to contemplate a shortened quarantine.
As far as possible, clubs want to get on with selling season tickets for a set-up as close to the norm as possible, which is a barrier to those proposing league of three divisions with 14 in each. Another difficulty presented by any proposal for a truncated campaign is that those who paid for 2019-20 season tickets will not have had full value for their outlay.
One solution is to expand the scope of next season’s offers to include Scottish Cup and League Cup ties, or to issue vouchers for holders to bring along a guest for free for the equivalent of the missed games. That outcome would be beneficial for clubs with spare capacity at their grounds and would generate greater catering and merchandising revenues, but would be difficult for the likes of Celtic and Rangers, the bulk of whose spectators are season ticket holders, although they could be offered free or discounted tickets for European matches.
This season’s Scottish Cup semi-finals and semi-finals have been postponed indefinitely but could be played before December to yield a 2020 winner. The two Hampden semis– Hearts vs Hibs and Celtic vs Aberdeen – are money-spinning occasions which the contending clubs want to be played. Traditionally, the competition provides a European place for the winner or beaten finalist but, if the tournament is deferred, an entry to the Europa League would become available to the next available SPFL club – in this case Aberdeen, who are fourth in the table.

The fact that three of the four semi-finalists are SPFL clubs plus the likelihood that Hearts, even if relegated, would not be involved before the fourth round of the 2020-21 Scottish Cup - to be played next January - clears the way for a deferred finale to this season’s tournament to be played before the end of the year.
The extra fixtures would, however, add to congestion which will be created if next season starts later than the first week in August, meaning that the winter break would almost certainly have to be cancelled. Much to-and-fro will occur over the next few weeks but, barring a near-miraculous early end to the Covid-19 shutdown, the chance of a fulfilled SPFL schedule is remote.
The possibility of a wartime-style season – in which the title would have unofficial status – is adamantly opposed by most clubs sounded by Telegraph Sport. “There were no TV deals and large-scale commercial contracts during the war,” said one source. “It’s just not going to happen.”
Last paragraph doesn't make sense!
No tv deals etc during the war - so what!
However if they insist on counting this season our wartime titles should be added to the 54;)

if it did happen (and it looks a bit like clickbait) I would want a statement from us sticking the knife in and bringing up their "regard" for human life, the amount of ex-players they've had begging for the trophy and for what? to get some bragging rights in a sport when thousands of people around the world are dying

wouldn't expect it to happen (the statement) but it would be nice if we showed some baws for once

Douglas Park's first job as chairman. Him v the SPFL.

giphy.webp
"Let's fuckin av it!!!!" :D

Can't say I'm even arsed about this any more.

I know we've been saying it for years but this one actually will have an asterisk against it in the record books. If they even attempt to celebrate it they'll just get laughed at.
Oh they'll celebrate it alright. Maybe this will be the moment that everyone else finally gets to see them in their true light.

More propaganda for them to be awarded the league, Roddy Forsyth knows F all
Apart from what side his bread is buttered!!!!!
Remember this is the chunt who went on 5Live and said the Famine Song, that contained 9 different words, was a whole song (verses and choruses) sung by our supporters against all Irish Immigrants. Very strange fella

wishfull thinking mate, i doubt very much Rangers have any allies,
no one likes us and we don't care, i wouldnt trust any of these clubs in our league to stand firm with us
I get that mate, I was thinking at least Hearts would have justifiable reason to side with us if it was only Celtic being awarded the title but relegation stands as it is now.
Laughable.

Last paragraph doesn't make sense!
No tv deals etc during the war - so what!
However if they insist on counting this season our wartime titles should be added to the 54;)

Yes that was my thought. What do no TV deals have to do with anything? I can see it has financial implications if games are not played because the season is truncated and fewer games are played, games which the TV companies have payed for. However it has no implications with regard to who are champions.

Last edited:
Yes that was my thought. What do no TV deals have to do with anything? I can see it has financial implications if games are not played because the season is truncated and fewer games are played, games which the TV companies have payed for. However it has no implications with regard towho are champions.

It's an odd argument. It's basically suggesting that TV is demanding a Champion now otherwise there will be legal implications. Why does TV want a curtailed season?

I would have thought they would be keen for it to continue with 2 Old Firm games to be played.

mentally challenged paper writing for mentally challengeds the club better have lawyers on speed dial and good ones this time not the same kunts who fcuked up with the fat man.

No league expansion, does that mean no promotion or Hearts relegated?

If Rangers were currently 10 points clear, the media narrative would be about how the filths quest for 10 was still going to be intact as this season would be struck from the record books.

From referees to the boardroom at Hampden, our entire game is run for the benefit of one club.

They're just getting it out there to get us used to it and see our club's reaction in my opinion. It's probably the right thing to call a halt to the season and start afresh next season if possible, it's just it makes more sense to write the season off. They can't extend the league as SKY/BT want 4 old firm games at least. If there's no European football that's going to hurt them a lot more than us having a chance of reaching the Champions league and given their wage bill.

Death trophies ?? Tainted title yes but ffs get a grip...

No league expansion, does that mean no promotion or Hearts relegated?

It sounds like they will follow Belgium and shite it to make a call on relegation just now.

They will just settle the league and award them the title so they can distribute money based on standings. Essentially the rest of the league get their scraps from the mentally challenged table.

The filth will be handed over £3m for a title they haven’t won whilst the rest of the league below Motherwell revel in their pennies they get.

The relegation issue can be kicked down the road for now.

Corrupt shower of scum.

I’m glad.

They can award themselves wherever they want.

Everyone will know for all time that an * needs attached to their awarded not earned title

"huv yeez goat a fucking story to print?"

"naw"

"fucking invent one then"

The SPFL are ready to call UEFA’s bluff by sticking to their guns and declaring Celtic as Premiership champs.

League bosses have reacted with ‘anger and bemusement’ to threats from Nyon to complete the domestic season - or else.

Confusion reigns after UEFA warned the smaller nations their clubs’ participation in the Champions League and Europa League next season is in jeopardy if they call their titles prematurely on the back of the Covid-19 crisis.

President Aleksander Ceferin repeated the threat on German television yesterday, even going as far as saying matches could be played behind closed doors.

UEFA maintain league campaigns can still be finished in July and August, even as Ceferin conceded it will be mid-May at the earliest before they can plan further.

He was prompted to speak out after the Belgian league management board became the first in Europe to recommend scrapping the season by awarding its title to Club Brugge, currently 15 points ahead of Gent.

It’s understood several smaller nations are ready to throw the problem straight back at UEFA by demanding interest free loans to cover their costs until football emerges from the coronavirus pandemic.

However, that is not a stance the SPFL are willing to adopt as they forge on with plans to call the season as soon as their legal advice allows, handing Celtic the title and relegating Hearts.

One source said: “UEFA are in panic mode and they’re probably the only organisation in Europe that believes this coronavirus pandemic will be over in a month and they can start planning for the weeks beyond it.

“They’ve been spooked by the Belgians because they know the financial implications from broadcasters for the big five countries if their league seasons aren’t played to a conclusion.

“UEFA’s threat to prevent clubs from smaller nations competing in their tournaments next season is farcical. The big five apart, who else are they going to invite? Teams from Belarus?

“There will be a queue of national associations taking action at the Court of Arbitration of Sport if UEFA ever follow through. They don’t know if they are coming or going.”

(Image: JEAN-CHRISTOPHE BOTT/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock)
The SPFL wants to call the domestic leagues as soon as possible and distribute the prize money on which many clubs will rely to see them through the summer.

However, they are also anxious to avoid extending the current domestic campaign towards the autumn as it would impact on their new five year sponsorship agreement with Sky.

It’s understood BT Sport, who will exit Scottish football at the end of the season, would be due a financial clawback if the Premiership season is ended with eight games still to play.

However, the Sky deal is more lucrative and there are fears the contract could not be fulfilled if the new season didn’t formally kick off until October or November, perhaps even in an abridged format.

The SPFL source added: “There’s an implication of the payback to broadcasters. We’d only be moving the problem from one season to the next if we continued to play the current campaign beyond the summer.”

Ceferin again rounded on the Belgians and insisted the only solution is for domestic leagues to pick up where they left off once the coronavirus crisis is over, even if it’s in front of empty stands.

He said: “The Belgians and the federations that could consider doing the same are risking participation in next year’s competition.

“Football is not the same thing without fans, but it is certainly better to play football without fans and get it back on television, rather than nothing.

“This is what people want, a little positive energy at home.

“It will probably happen in July or August. We can’t play in September or October.”

There is going to be the mother of all legal cases on this one.

All because the poet's clambered over the dead to scream "gies title, gies fucking title or else!"

From 2012 to March 2015 we were in the hands of scum, we never stood a chance of getting out of this league, now our club has to start looking to the long term, we can not stay in this cesspit for any length of time, I still think when this is all over, well known clubs in England will go to the wall, with the amount of debt, they have, it may well be by invite only but we need out of this league.

So legal action from us and Hearts, though to be honest I’ve more faith in Hearts to take it further than us.

The fly in the ointment here is the stance from UEFA. If they stick to their guns the threat of no European income could yet be a stumbling block to their vile plan.

They get the title this year it’s tainted so much it’s a joke not worth the paper it’s written on

it will spur us on to win it next time !

Just more speculative shite from the press.

Remember, they have nothing to fill their sports pages with. So as soon as Belgium announced what they were doing its queue up a story time.

Then when England announce what they are doing, it will be another one.

Italy...

Spain....

Germany....

The fact that the SPFL even sound like they have a semblance of a plan should be more than enough to realise the article is just more crap.
SPFL...Plan..he he he
Unlikely

If this goes ahead we as fans must stop going to opposition matches. We need them to know this before they vote to do this.

So legal action from us and Hearts, though to be honest I’ve more faith in Hearts to take it further than us.

The fly in the ointment here is the stance from UEFA. If they stick to their guns the threat of no European income could yet be a stumbling block to their vile plan.

UEFAs main concern with what Belgium done is that it encourages one of the big boys to do the same.

The filth will get their place in the CL once all of this blows over. In the grand scheme of things UEFA don’t give a fûck about Scottish football and will leave the SPFL to it. All they care about is money generated from the bigger leagues and their clubs.

If that's the way the SPFL want to play it fine, if we get a 2nd wave of the virus next winter and the league is stopped with Rangers in first place even on goal difference then we'll automatically be crowned champions no if's or buts about it. If they want to open up Pandora's box then they live with the consequences.

On a side note this is what Hearts get for jumping on the bandwagon in 2012 and allowing the yahoos to completely take over Scottish football. Had any other club in the league been top it would have been void but they wanted to side with the yahoos back then and will now enjoy playing Alloa in front of 800 fans in winter for it.

Rangers would be potentially giving up Champions League football next season if this happens.

If the club bent over and took it, I'd be done.
We all agree it's sickening but if the rats that run our game have a get out clause in the rules we will have no comeback legally and they seem to think they have.

Disgusting.

Back