How many Rangers players have scored straight from a corner?

When I met Robert Prytz a few years ago he told me he'd done it against Celtic at the piggery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure coop did it against packie at the piggery only for a foul to be given for packie for jumping into one of them, about 30 seconds later we were 2-0 down , McClair round about 86/87 I think or have I dreamt that

Orjan Persson did it in my first ever Gers game v Stirling in 1967.

Persson scored against Raith Rovers, not Stirling. Rangers beat Raith Rovers 10-2

Walters definitely scored in an old firm new year game at Ibrox.
I don’t remember the McCann goal.

Orjan Persson did it more than once.
5 nil home game v Stirling 1968, not sure about the other one, possibly the away game away to Stirling that same season.
Others I can remember
Ted McMinn at Dumbarton
Walters and Prytz v them.

My memory isn’t the best but was Walters not even an inswinger? Taken from Govan stand side right footed into the broomloan??

Persson scored against Raith Rovers, not Stirling. Rangers beat Raith Rovers 10-2
I was at both games and I often get confused with the two of them. Both games were won convincingly Was only young at the time and still young now :)

Strong wind and he tried it every corner kick at the broomloan end so when it happened the crowd was actually expecting it.

Strong wind and he tried it every corner kick at the broomloan end so when it happened the crowd was actually expecting it.
My memory was it was at the Rangers end, he took the corner from the east enclosure.
The Stirling game was played in wet and windy conditions

My memory isn’t the best but was Walters not even an inswinger? Taken from Govan stand side right footed into the broomloan??

Correct. At that time I sat in the Govan front (red section) so it was just in front of me.
Made even better by the fact that Andy Wanker was warming up and giving Walters verbals as he placed the ball on the arc.
The look on Wankers face as the ball went in was priceless.
Walters sprinted down the touchline celebrating and we spent the next 5 minutes tearing Wanker apart

My memory was it was at the Rangers end, he took the corner from the east enclosure.
you are correct it went in off the back post, there was a caption of it in the Sunday mail the next day with the white line from the corner spot to the back post and into the net.

I was at the game v clydebank am sure it was a few years later coop scored directly from a corner two games running

He took it from the Broomloan end at the Govan side.

He hit it with his right foot,from the right corner flag.

Think we scored straight from a corner up at Tannadice in advocaat era. Must have been McCann or Gio.

Took it with the outside of his right foot
This is the first I've heard this version adamski,watched it from the East Enclosure and always assumed it was a cross gone wrong,or right in this case.Haven't read or learned anything different in the intervening years but I'm guessing you have.

you are correct it went in off the back post, there was a caption of it in the Sunday mail the next day with the white line from the corner spot to the back post and into the goal. Sorry if any Confusion I’m talking about Örjan Persons goal.

Davie Cooper has done it at least twice I think
Against Clydebank and pretty sure against Morton as well
Obviously both were about 30 odd years ago, so memory not 100%
The Morton game, I’d swear Tommy McLean did this in the same game but it was disallowed.
Then again, I have the same memory problems as you have.

He took it from the Broomloan end at the Govan side.

He hit it with his right foot,from the right corner flag.
He scored a hatrick that day, in a previous post about Orjan Persson a photo was posted of his goal direct from the corner. I'm sure it was from the Rangers end and that was my memory standing in the enclosure at the game.

Back