Hugh Dallas

ThorntonMM

Anyone neutral watching the re-run of the 2002 Scottish cup final last night on BBC Scotland channel must be utterly baffled by the past rhetoric from Timmy that Hugh Dallas was a Referee with a bias towards Rangers.

His performance in that cup final would have made Kevin Clancy blush. He was Celtic's 12th man throughout the game.

For instance Chris Sutton should have been booked for a shocking body check on Cannigia which saw the Ranger having to leave the field of play (not to return to the action) Dallas didn't even speak to Sutton and Celtic exploited the ten man advantage and scored the opening goal.

Add to that moments later the blatant forearm from John Hartson into the face of Craig Moore should have saw him shown a straight red card. Again Dallas took no action.
There was many other instances but the denial of the stonewall penalty when Lovenkrands was blatantly shoved in the box by Mjallby seconds before he got the winner was absolute cowardice from Dallas.

Thankfully justice was done and LovelyPants gave us a dreamed deserved winner but it should never be forgotten how poor Dallas was that day.

Incidentally shortly after this match Dallas applied for the Celtic General Manager. He was unsuccessful in his application.

Edited

Last edited:
Anyone neutral watching the re-run of the 2002 Scottish cup final last night on BBC Scotland channel must be utterly baffled by the past rhetoric from Timmy that Hugh Dallas was a Referee with a bias towards Rangers.

His performance in that cup final would have made Kevin Clancy blush. He was Celtic's 12th man throughout the game.

For instance Chris Sutton should have been booked for a shocking body check on Cannigia which saw the Ranger having to leave the field of play (not to return to the action) Dallas didn't even speak to Sutton and Celtic exploited the ten man advantage and scored the opening goal.

Add to that moments later the blatant forearm from John Hartson into the face of Craig Moore should have saw him shown a straight red card. Again Dallas took no action.
There was many other instances but the denial of the stonewall penalty when Lovenkrands was blatantly shoved in the box by Mjallby seconds before he got the winner was absolute cowardice from Dallas.

Thankfully justice was done and LovelyPants gave us a dreamed deserved winner but it should never be forgotten how poor Dallas was that day.

Incidentally a few years after this match when he had hung up his whistle. Dallas applied for the Celtic chief executive job. He was unsuccessful in his application and the job went to ex commentator Jock Brown.

Add to that Balde was already on a yellow, when he scored and removed his shirt. Second yellow = off......but what did the bold Hugh do ?. His usual, ignored it.

Incidentally a few years after this match when he had hung up his whistle. Dallas applied for the Celtic chief executive job. He was unsuccessful in his application and the job went to ex commentator Jock Brown.
LovelyPants? Is that a typo/autocorrect or a name he was called that I missed?

Add to that Balde was already on a yellow, when he scored and removed his shirt. Second yellow = off......but what did the bold Hugh do ?. His usual, ignored it.

Did Barry get booked when he took his top off?

I never noticed.

That last bit can't be right. Jock Brown was in that job at Parkhead in the late 90s, well before this Cup final.

Spot on about the decisions in the game though.

Re: that last paragraph. The timelines don't add up as Jock Brown became their General Manager and subsequently left all while Dallas was still refereeing. So unless Dallas applied to be their General Manager whilst still refereeing (which I'm not ruling out btw) then it doesn't marry up

Jock Brown was at them from 97 to 99 before that game.
On the game Balde should have been sent off for removing his shirt, a second booking.

Dallas was the best referee of his time in Scotland, apparently. The unfortunate aspect of that statement is that it says more about his colleagues rather than his own abilities.

He was the first of the demonstrative refs up here where signals were made to highlight his own self importance. This has been carried on by Thomson, Collum etc etc.

I don’t think Dallas was biased for either team. He was simply a referee that made mistakes against both sides. Only one group of supporters made his life a living hell though.

The mentally challengeds default is that every referee is a cheating hun. Even Collum, Clancy etc who are known RCs / Filth supporters.

Look at Beaton as well. He single handedly cost us 5 points this season and was responsible for quite possibly the worst display of cheating any of us have ever seen in our game against Hibs a couple of years ago. Yet because he never sent off Morelos in a game that he also never sent off Brown and denied us a stonewall penalty, he has been tarred some sort of pro-Rangers bigot.

Last edited:

His performance in that cup final would have made Kevin Clancy blush. He was Celtic's 12th man throughout the game. How ever the amount of fouls committed by big ammo must have went into double figures !

However the number of fouls committed by big Ammo must have been in double figures ! Also Ricksen committed a fair number before being booked and Craig Moore should have seen red for cynical foul on fatson so all in all it was a decent performance from Dallas and please try to take the tinted glasses off and enjoy the victory and class played we had on show that day

I don’t think Dallas was biased for either team. He was simply a referee that made mistakes against both sides. Only one group of supporters made his life a living hell though.

The mentally challengeds default is that every referee is a cheating hun. Even Collum, Beaton etc who are known RCs / Filth supporters.

Look at Beaton. He single handedly cost us 5 points this season and was responsible for quite possibly the worst display of cheating any of us have ever seen in our game against Hibs a couple of years ago. Yet because he never sent off Morelos in a game that he also never sent off Brown and denied us a stonewall penalty, he has been tarred some sort of pro-Rangers bigot.
Beaton is NOT one of them. He is a shite ref who bends over backwards to prove he isn’t seen as a bluenose just like Madden !

The mentally challengeds default is that every referee is a cheating hun. Even Collum, Beaton etc who are known RCs / Filth supporters.

Look at Beaton. He single handedly cost us 5 points this season and was responsible for quite possibly the worst display of cheating any of us have ever seen in our game against Hibs a couple of years ago. Yet because he never sent off Morelos in a game that he also never sent off Brown and denied us a stonewall penalty, he has been tarred some sort of pro-Rangers bigot.
Fake content, argument falls down when making stuff up..sadly, you were doing well too.

Beaton is NOT one of them. He is a shite ref who bends over backwards to prove he isn’t seen as a bluenose just like Madden !

I’m well aware he isn’t one of them. He still allows his decision making to be skewed based on pressure therefore he’s a cheat.

He might not be a mentally challenged cheat, but he is still a cheat.

Reactions: Gee
dallas performance in the 2nd half of the 3-0 win at the piggery was every bit as bad as clancy, thomson or beaton.

He cheated numerous times, shat sending off their prick of a keeper, riseth shouldve walked earlier etc

Some of the decisions and what people got away with in that game were mental, also thought Moore was lucky to stay on the park with a knee high challenge on Hartson. Although Hartson should have been sent packing long before it.

As for your final point, Jock Brown was in that job in the 90's. I think you're getting a bit mixed up there.

That last bit can't be right. Jock Brown was in that job at Parkhead in the late 90s, well before this Cup final.

Spot on about the decisions in the game though.
It was on the front page of the Sunday Mail.

Last edited:
I don't think he did, but I'm unsure if that was in the laws of the game in 2002!

the laws were clear, remove your top and booked. However Barry tested the nerve of Dallas, as Balde who had already been booked removed his top when he scored, Dallas shat sending him off. When barry scored he was also already on a yellow but removed his top anyway

Hartson should have been shown a straight red for his studs up challenge, which the replay showed Dallas 2 meters away looking straight at it, he bottled it.

Clever girl.

maxresdefault.jpg

He might be a shite ref,cheat,shitebag or whatever but Beaton is not an RC or Celtic supporter.

Re: that last paragraph. The timelines don't add up as Jock Brown became their General Manager and subsequently left all while Dallas was still refereeing. So unless Dallas applied to be their General Manager whilst still refereeing (which I'm not ruling out btw) then it doesn't marry up
He applied for the position of Celtic General manager shortly after he retired from being a grade one Referee.
Screenshot202004060940231586162486.jpg

He might be a shite ref,cheat,shitebag or whatever but Beaton is not an RC or Celtic supporter.

I didn’t say he was. Perhaps the structure of my post has made it look like that is what I meant.

I was referring to Clancy and Collum with that statement.

With Beaton i was merely pointing out that he is a cheat.

the laws were clear, remove your top and booked. However Barry tested the nerve of Dallas, as Balde who had already been booked removed his top when he scored, Dallas shat sending him off. When barry scored he was also already on a yellow but removed his top anyway

Ferguson wasn’t booked in the final and the law only came into place in 2004.

Some of the decisions and what people got away with in that game were mental, also thought Moore was lucky to stay on the park with a knee high challenge on Hartson. Although Hartson should have been sent packing long before it.

As for your final point, Jock Brown was in that job in the 90's. I think you're getting a bit mixed up there.
I'm not. He definitely applied for the position. It was widely reported at the time.

The only link to it I can find online is from Kerrydale St website. They clearly recall him applying for the position and Jock Brown being the successful candidate.

Last edited:
To judge the referees performance based on how the game would be played today is simply unfair. Referees generally allowed players away with a bit more then (not as much as the 60's/70's) and the game was certainly a bit more physical. You did not get booked for taking your shirt off and raising your arms when jumping for a high ball was not an offence unless it was a clear elbow in the face.
That being said he could easily have red carded Balde and Hartson but could also have sent Moore off.
He definitely bottled the penalty at the end - after the title winning game he refereed at the piggery a few years earlier you can understand his hesitation in awarding a 91st minute cup final penalty. Doesn't make it right but every cloud as they say as it allowed Peter Lovenkrands that beautiful final winning moment when he blind sided Sutton to win the cup for The Glasgow Rangers.
Imagine Sutton being liable for both PL goals - listening to the commentary you would think he was born to play centre half and in line for the MOTM award :D
Dallas was the one ref that generally stood up to their intimidation and that, plus the memory of the 3-0 game, is why they drove him out of the game.
And Beaton?
Not one of them but absolutely slaughtered for a performance at Ibrox when we destroyed Hamilton in the cup but he failed to send off Joe Garner who, I think, scored a hattrick. Since then he has been terrified to give a big decision in our favour and performances like his one at Ibrox against Hibs are not uncommon but he is definitely not one of them.
(Also slaughtered for his Ibrox Old Firm performance, despite being praised immediately afterwards, for not sending Alfie off)
Never thought I'd be on here defending referees. I really do hate sticking up for them but this thread, in my opinion, fails to recognise that things have changed since 2002 and some of the posts are a touch unfair.

I wasn’t meaning he was one of them. That statement was in reference to Collum and Clancy.

With Beaton I was just pointing out how much he has cheated us yet gets accused of being pro-Rangers by the filth.
You may want to read your original post because that's exactly what you do say - perhaps unintentionally :D

"Even Collum, Beaton etc who are known RCs / Filth supporters."

i am of the opinion that hugh dallas was set up by john fleming when he got sacked as head of referees over the joke email.
john fleming was the main benefactor of this, getting the job dallas had vacated.
fleming was a sneaky scumbag in his previous job.

You may want to read your original post because that's exactly what you do say - perhaps unintentionally :D

"Even Collum, Beaton etc who are known RCs / Filth supporters."

Woops my bad:))

That should have been Clancys name instead of Beatons.

Hartson Sutton Balde (long before he was) Lennon would all have been off were the game played today.

And Moore would have gone as well.

that said Dallas was probably the best ref Scotland has produced, he was far up his own ass he would never knowingly make an error.

Quite why the Tims picked him to chase is a mystery, but then the chased wee Dougie and he was like a 12 man for them. It suited the world is against us down trodden RC mantra so they let one of their own take the fall.

Back