50% wages deferred for 3 months

What’s the alternative? The furloughed staff aren’t any worse off than they would be if the club didn’t use the scheme.

Using the scheme makes a positive difference to the club and, along with the 50% wage deferral by the players, saves a substantial monthly cash outflow when there’s nothing coming in.

As with all football clubs that can afford to pay individuals stupid money (relative to their non-playing staff) the solution is to manage your assets and not take government handouts away from companies who really need it. Us, them, Liverpool (now reverses), Norwich, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Spurs - it’s just pathetic.

So the dirty bastards volunteered a wage deferral so other staff didn't lose money?

Dirty bastards? Come on, don’t try and put words in my mouth. They could help the rest of the staff and the club a lot more by taking a small cut, instead they’ve merely offered to collect a wedge a few months down the line, what is it about that you don’t get? I’ve even said I can’t really be too angered because they’re contractually obliged to it, yet you’re throwing terms like “dirty bastards” around like I’ve just called them scum. Maybe give it a rest.

Last edited:
Cost isn’t the issue, it’s the cash flow.

Cost most definitely is an issue, we’ve lost out in revenue regardless of what happens next. Either the seasons written off or games will be played behind closed doors. And there’s a good chance a cup will be postponed next year or a streamlined euro qualifying run. All means lost revenue.

See right now I genuinely couldn't give a shit. More important issues to worry about, like my own families income and all our health.

Non playing staff will continue to see their money and won't lose out. That's all that matters. Directors, first team players and staff have no money worries and will be fully paid in the long run.

Correct, in which I think is wrong.

Furthough the staff who will lose 20% of their pay yet the players will still get their 15k plus salary a week eventually.

Many of the staff will lose much more than 20% of their wages.

Edit - sorry I see Rangers are making up the difference to full wages.

Last edited:
I dont see any other outcome being possible for us with regard to furlough it was the only sensible option we would not survive otherwise every club is in a different position we are not in the same boat as Liverpool etc at least they have promised to make the other 20 % up which is fair.

Hmmm...thought we would see players and management agreeing a wage cut.

Deferring 50% of their salaries means we will have millions to pay out in July/August which will hamper our ability to strengthen the squad.

Better than nothing of course as it helps cash flow in short term but slightly underwhelmed at this.

See right now I genuinely couldn't give a shit. More important issues to worry about, like my own families income and all our health.

Non playing staff will continue to see their money and won't lose out. That's all that matters. Directors, first team players and staff have no money worries and will be fully paid in the long run.
Whilst I wholeheartedly agree - it’s a welcome change of debate from Covid19

If you haven’t been to work in 2 months and did not contribute as per the contract why would u be expecting a wage at the end of the month!
Because the contract entitles them to it?

Their bills don’t go on hold, their family still gets hungry.

I think peoples issue with the furloughing of staff is that players have taken a 50% deferment (which the people who have issues would assume was to cover the staff wages)
But we are still using the furlough scheme.

It makes business sense. But some will see it as taking advantage of the government scheme when we perhaps don’t have to.

Liverpool have reversed their decision to take government money to pay furloughed staff.

Disappointed we’ve gone ahead with it. They’re paid very little relative to our overall budget. I don’t see why we need to beg for government assistance.

Ah the ol FF negativity.

Club will never do right by some on here.

Moan moan moan.
All over my social media I see messages from bears praising the club, the management and players for this announcement.come on here and it’s negative after negative.if people are so disgusted by the clubs actions then surely it stands to reason they won’t be coming back to Ibrox.

And I am sure there are plenty of in fact millions of human beings all around the world who HAD a contract that they cannot fulfil therefor it’s null and void
The only contracts that will fall under that will be the companies that go under. Otherwise you are sorely mistaken.

2 businesses applying the same government assistance should receive the same treatment but they won’t be. I’m glad we’ve done the right thing.

Ah yes brilliant, just as I thought. Of course your biggest concern here is getting Liverpool’s back. The thing is we’re not a cash rich footballing super power like they are, and we’re not paying hundreds of thousands of pounds out to single players each week like they are. In fact in general we’re not paying wages that are even in the same Galaxy as what they’re paying, nor do we generate an income that is in the same Galaxy as what they do, so the two situations aren’t even comparable. They’re cash rich, we are absolutely not hence why we’ve been going on soft loans for a fair length of time.

I’m not overly pleased we’re furloughing, especially in light of the players only agreeing to a deferral (id have rather seen players take a modest cut to avoid furloughing staff), but I understand it because put simply, we’re not a cash rich club.

not pleased we're using the furlough scheme (take 1 weeks wage from each 1st team member and that should be enough to pay all non-playing staff for 3 months surely) but glad that the club will be topping up to make sure no-one loses out

Good that the non-playing staff will not be losing out, however I’m a bit gutted at the players not taking a pay cut of some sort. A 20% cut across the board could’ve been the difference in a new signing in the summer. Deferring the wages is shite IMO.

Really pleased with how this has been handled, no leaks to the press just the players and board working together to achieve the right outcome.

Probably deferred on waiting to hear what the final outcome of this season will be and when next season will start.

I'm confused as to negativity here. Have I misunderstood this?

It was morally wrong to furlough stuff and use governments money for lower paid staff whilst still paying the players earning megabucks (i.e Celtic/Spurs) but this isn't what has happened here?

The players/coaching staff have deferred their wages for three months - so we don't pay them but we have also used the government scheme and topped up the 20% for non playing staff lower down the scale which means that we have, as a whole treated everything fairly so the staff earning less will continued to be paid 100% and the players not be taking a salary for 3 months (as they can afford it but will get it at a later date)?

Cost most definitely is an issue, we’ve lost out in revenue regardless of what happens next. Either the seasons written off or games will be played behind closed doors. And there’s a good chance a cup will be postponed next year or a streamlined euro qualifying run. All means lost revenue.
To be fair I reckon the extra Euro games this season which we almost certainly didn’t count on have covered the lost revenue from a domestic cup.
We’re incredibly fortunate we had that strong Euro run.

Hmmm...thought we would see players and management agreeing a wage cut.

Deferring 50% of their salaries means we will have millions to pay out in July/August which will hamper our ability to strengthen the squad.

Better than nothing of course as it helps cash flow in short term but slightly underwhelmed at this.

Not necessarily. Making good the deferred wages could be over the course of their contracts or over the tax year.

Last edited:
I think this may deserve a thread of its own but admin feel free to merge if appropriate.

What are the numbers here? Annual wage bill of 34.5m. simple head tells me that divided by 12 its 2.875m per month. So in 3 months time the club will pay out £8.5m approximately in back dates pay, probably from next years budget?

But you're agreeing with a guy who was having a snidey dig before we really know anything.

You can't really fill in the blanks when you don't even know what blanks need to be filled. Do we know if the club approached the players for a wage cut? Do we know if they approached them for anything at all? Do we know if the players accepted or rejected anything? What if the club said 'LADS! What are yous like?! Thanks for the offer of 99% wage reduction but WE WILL NOT ACCEPT! Let's do 3 months 50% wage deferral'.

We don't know anything. This could be a nice touch from the players, it could be shite from them or it could be neutral.

Surely the time to make snidey digs (or equally, heap praise) is when we actually know some facts.

Do you think I was having a snidey dig?

If they had took a wage cut the outcome could have been the same whereby the others would still have received their money.

What's your point? Surely the outcome is the important thing; people don't lose out on money.

You were complaining about the staff losing money, this now won't be the case.

I’d have preferred salary cuts but this is a decent gesture and should go some way to helping us through a very difficult period.
I agree but I can see the attraction for the club on a purely cash flow basis. Much better from a survival perspective with the counter being a large (players’ wages) creditor in three months.

I'm confused as to negativity here. Have I misunderstood this?

It was morally wrong to furlough stuff and use governments money for lower paid staff whilst still paying the players earning megabucks (i.e Celtic/Spurs) but this isn't what has happened here?

The players/coaching staff have deferred their wages for three months - so we don't pay them but we have also used the government scheme and topped up the 20% for non playing staff lower down the scale which means that we have, as a whole treated everything fairly so the staff earning less will continued to be paid 100% and the players not be taking a salary for 3 months (as they can afford it but will get it at a later date)?
You’ve only misunderstood FF!

Back