50% wages deferred for 3 months

This place is mental. The issue is the cash flow, until season tickets money or player sales happen in the next few months then we are saving paying 50% in player waves for 3 months. Directors have already according to reports put in 10m to get us through the season have they not until we get the Euro money?

Correct, in which I think is wrong.

Furthough the staff who will lose 20% of their pay yet the players will still get their 15k plus salary a week eventually.
You would give an aspirin a sore head you moan that much about Rangers, the Management, players and Executive Directors have deferred half their wages for 3 months and still not enough for you, the same players that have earned us about £25m from Europe in the last two seasons.
Could you read the statement before you put accusations on here

E

Eh to help the club financially, a deferral still means the club will need to find the money from somewhere to pay the players eventually.
No kidding Sherlock, they can put £100 on my season ticket if they want and I as a fan will help pay, why should an employee be the ones to be punished when we have 40k season ticket holders to spread the burden on the club

I think that would require new contracts to be signed for each player as not paying the deferred part of the salary in this tax year would have tax implications both for us as a company and the players as individuals.

Fair enough, over the course of the tax year then. The point is, I doubt we will be due to pay all the deferred wages in one go in month four. I hope. Of course, neither of us know.

Hmmm...thought we would see players and management agreeing a wage cut.

Deferring 50% of their salaries means we will have millions to pay out in July/August which will hamper our ability to strengthen the squad.

Better than nothing of course as it helps cash flow in short term but slightly underwhelmed at this.

I think this will end up painting us into a corner of sorts.

Once this ends if we do find a few quid for transfers then we'll get all kinds of dog's abuse for having taken furlough cash.

It’s worth pointing out that the PFA have advised players not to take a cut at this stage. Won’t stop the usual posters having a go since there’s no football to moan at.

I’m sure this situation will be reviewed on an ongoing basis.

Liverpool have reversed their decision to take government money to pay furloughed staff.

Disappointed we’ve gone ahead with it. They’re paid very little relative to our overall budget. I don’t see why we need to beg for government assistance.
It was my initial thought too....pay the smaller salaries, maintain the moral high ground over septic, but what if "non-playing staff" includes SG, GMc, Ross Wilson and other highly paid staff? I would imagine it's a close call.

The Government pay 80%, Rangers pay 20%.

The government payment is 80% of salary but is capped at £2,500 per month.

So if you earn £37,500 per year the government pays £2,500 per month towards you salary on the scheme (80% of £37,500 is £30,000 which equates to £2,500 per month).

If Rangers are paying all non playing staff 100% of their salary, anyone on more than £37,500 (and there will be a good number) needs their pay topped up by more than 20%.

Disappointed in the club to be honest. A 10% wage cut from players and management would probably be enough to pay all the others staffs wages without having to use the scheme. I thought we were better that this

Seems the fairest outcome for all at least for the first 3 months,credit to those that made it happen.
Unprecedented times guys let's not forget for every club in the country and globally.

I think this may deserve a thread of its own but admin feel free to merge if appropriate.

What are the numbers here? Annual wage bill of 34.5m. simple head tells me that divided by 12 its 2.875m per month. So in 3 months time the club will pay out £8.5m approximately in back dates pay, probably from next years budget?

What makes you think we’ve agreed to pay out all the deferred salaries in month four? It could be over the course of the tax year. It could be over the course of their contracts. We don’t know so, perhaps, best not to assume.

I’ve said previously that I would rather it was a pay cut and no use of the Government scheme. However I don’t know the cashflow and future plans. What appears clear that the club will top up any wage shortfalls and this makes the proposal acceptable if not the desired option.

Disappointed that we’ve furloughed non-playing staff. A club isn’t just about matches. Now is the time we should be putting focus on technology, social media, marketing etc. This lockdown could have given us an opportunity to get wins where we wouldn’t regularly have the time.

As a tedious example, it would’ve been nice to get some Rangers gifs added to Instagram. Now it seems our account will be on hiatus.

I don’t think it works like that. Imagine after 3 months the payments owed will be spread over the course of next season.

There will be an agreement in place that won’t shaft all parties I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

No kidding Sherlock, they can put £100 on my season ticket if they want and I as a fan will help pay, why should an employee be the ones to be punished when we have 40k season ticket holders to spread the burden on the club
What if you can't afford to pay an extra £100 per season ticket because you aren't getting a full wage?

My last thoughts. I have two season tickets. Realistically there is no chance we are getting those games. I have no expectations of getting the money back. The fans are making more of a sacrifice than our players. Hardly a family is it? I won’t be back unless they reverse this. I’m fucked if I’m making a contribution with no wages coming in , while these guys sit a home and give us nothing. Hell mend them.

All parties volunteered and wholeheartedly agreed to defer wages to ensure that fellow colleagues could continue to be paid their salaries in full.
So if it ensures all colleagues continue to recieve their salaries in full, then why are we using the government scheme.

Fair enough mate, but I genuinely think it’s quite easy to connect the dots, and he club statement put out since then further suggests that the players were almost certainly asked if they’d be prepared to take a cut (because like I said, that really helps us out a lot, a big bill for in 3 months time doesn’t) and we could have avoided furloughing.

But, nothing we can do about it so this is how it is and we have to accept it.
Or vote with your feet.

Fair enough, over the course of the tax year then. The point is, I doubt we will be due to pay all the deferred wages in one go in month four. I hope. Of course, neither of us know.

Could be split over a few months aye but with the bulk of our cash coming in from books by the summer, it would be wise to just clear our feet at that point and then budget accordingly for the rest of the season on matchday/Euro income projections.

Maybe I was being optimistic but I really thought we'd see them agreeing to a 20-30% cut. I get all the arguments about it not being their fault etc. but this pandemic will end up affecting us a lot more than some think.

With a wage bill of circa £30m per annum, a 3 month deferral of 50%, equates to £4m. That's in addition to the funds we've lost from the 5 home games that we had due to play. A big dunt in our summer budget.

Disappointed that we’ve furloughed non-playing staff. A club isn’t just about matches. Now is the time we should be putting focus on technology, social media, marketing etc. This lockdown could have given us an opportunity to get wins where we wouldn’t regularly have the time.

As a tedious example, it would’ve been nice to get some Rangers gifs added to Instagram. Now it seems our account will be on hiatus.
I would have my doubts that all nonplaying staff are getting furloughed

Just seen the message from Rangers regarding the deferral and the furlough of some staff. And yes, ultimately all staff will get paid, it is the UK taxpayer that is subsidizing these payments. That is not a good look.

Could be split over a few months aye but with the bulk of our cash coming in from books by the summer, it would be wise to just clear our feet at that point and then budget accordingly for the rest of the season on matchday/Euro income projections.

Maybe I was being optimistic but I really thought we'd see them agreeing to a 20-30% cut. I get all the arguments about it not being their fault etc. but this pandemic will end up affecting us a lot more than some think.

With a wage bill of circa £30m per annum, a 3 month deferral of 50%, equates to £4m. That's in addition to the funds we've lost from the 5 home games that we had due to play. A big dunt in our summer budget.

To be perfectly honest our Summer budget, I’d suggest, is the least of our concerns right now. Let’s just see the Club come out the other end of this crisis first and take things from there.

Liverpool have reversed their decision to take government money to pay furloughed staff.

Disappointed we’ve gone ahead with it. They’re paid very little relative to our overall budget. I don’t see why we need to beg for government assistance.
We are not Liverpool. We have nowhere near the money they have.

It's not all staff.

But u might find the gov paying 80% and the club paying the 20%
That’s what my work is doing

Yes mate same with mine, but doesn’t sit right that any football club in the world that can afford to pay players thousands of pounds a week then make the government pay 80% of their non playing staffs wages.

It’s not just rangers most clubs are at it.

Yes mate same with mine, but doesn’t sit right that any football club in the world that can afford to pay players thousands of pounds a week then make the government pay 80% of their non playing staffs wages.

totally agree. Clubs like us Celtic , tottenham have a cheek if they sign anybody in the summer now after leeching off the state .

To be perfectly honest our Summer budget, I’d suggest, is the least of our concerns right now. Let’s just see the Club come out the other end of this crisis first and take things from there.

Perhaps us as supporters but the board should certainly be planning for the summer. It would be dereliction of duty if they weren't forecasting for then.

I've been critical of the top football clubs who are attempting to take advantage of the government help so far, and the fact that it's now us changes nothing.

I hope the government bring in stringent rules that scupper these plans. Clubs able to pay thousands of pounds per week on single players are not clubs that need government assistance and should be hunted.

There are several things to consider here.

1, The deferral will assist cash flow greatly and will help the club pay it's bills when they fall due, which is great.

2, The fact that it is a deferral and not a pay cut just means that the paybill which was due for the year will still be the same so it has not had an effect on the position over the year. There is no effect on costs.

3, The Job Retention Scheme is a legitimate Government scheme and Rangers have as much right to use it as everyone else.

4, 3 has an effect on both cash flow and paybill. Both being positive in the clubs favour. Cash flow will be better but so will the paybill.

5, The club is making up the difference in the furloughed players income, which is fantastic for the staff. they will not be out of pocket and can pay their bills, feed their families etc.

All in good decisions, at least from a financial point of view. I am not going to make a moral judgement on someone expecting to get paid what they were promised. They are not actually doing anything wrong.

The government payment is 80% of salary but is capped at £2,500 per month.

So if you earn £37,500 per year the government pays £2,500 per month towards you salary on the scheme (80% of £37,500 is £30,000 which equates to £2,500 per month).

If Rangers are paying all non playing staff 100% of their salary, anyone on more than £37,500 (and there will be a good number) needs their pay topped up by more than 20%.
I doubt there will be very many furloughed who are earning more than £37500

So anyone who thinks we are morally wrong want to explain how we pay all the wages over this period without this deferral and use of the job retention scheme? I will add we run at a loss, we have no cash in the bank or games to get matchday income, new investment is on hold, we are owed money from the kit deal and in this situation we can't ask hard pressed fans to renew season tickets so over to you...

It is what it is
It’s there to be used

the gov are telling ppl not to work, it’s on them to fund it

What if you can't afford to pay an extra £100 per season ticket because you aren't getting a full wage?
Not every one will be able to but I find it rich that players who work for the club and not fans are getting a hard time for helping the cash flow issues .Im sure if the fans were asked lots would also help with an optional levy on the ST.

It’s our club and we should be helping out and not getting upset at employees wages

Back