Name one Scottish Player that wish pulled on a Rangers jersey

Andy Robertson and Paul McStay. Two players who I think would have flourished under us.

Do you reckon the Scottish game would’ve suited Hansen?
Would he have needed a traditional brutish (not a spelling error) centre back.
Don't think there would have been too much of a difference playing in the England or Scotland leagues back then and he was such a class player he would have strolled it.
I think if we had signed Hansen he would have been up there with Gough and Greig as a legend.

John Collins mentioned a few times, we blew the mhanks out of water financially at that time, we had offered him more than what Celtic could offer but he just couldn’t sign for us.

Do you reckon the Scottish game would’ve suited Hansen?
Would he have needed a traditional brutish (not a spelling error) centre back.
Alan Hansen was well acquainted with Scottish football by the time signed for Liverpool. He had been playing regularly alongside his brother John at Thistle.

I think Willie Miller and Alex McLeish in their prime would have been immense for us

I could never understand how Miller did not end up at Ibrox. He came from Bridgeton and played in a John Street School team that won every trophy available to them in their age group. The fact that we missed out on Dalglish, who literally lived across the road from the stadium and who used to go into the Albion to watch us train, and Miller tells you something about our scouting system back then.

I could never understand how Miller did not end up at Ibrox. He came from Bridgeton and played in a John Street School team that won every trophy available to them in their age group. The fact that we missed out on Dalglish, who literally lived across the road from the stadium and who used to go into the Albion to watch us train, and Miller tells you something about our scouting system back then.
I have read Miller wasn't man enough to put up with the off-field situation in Glasgow therefore he would have been of no use to us !!

Always thought Kevin Gallagher would have been a good player for us. Apparently he was one of them though.

Willie Carson the jockey tells the story of how when he was growing in Stirling he used to go and fight the Catholic school kids and one of them was Billy Bremner.
I also seem to remember a story about him singing IRA songs in a pub whilst playing for Scotland(maybe someone could confirm that one).
During Bremner's days as Captain of Scotland one Rangers player used to pull out of the squad due to the rebel songs being sung in the Scotland dressing room - bigotry indeed

I think I read once that when the delegation from Celtic went to Dalgleish's home hoping to sign him, they couldn't help notice the many photographs and posters of Rangers players adorning his bedroom walls. Since at the time Rangers hadn't registered an interest in Dalgleish, he then opted to sign for the yahoos. It would appear that someone in the Rangers scouting department screwed up big time.

Were we ever close?

I vaguely remember hearing his agent sounded us and them out when he was at Dortmund but never if we had any interest.

No idea if we were ever closer than what you say regarding his agent. I think if there was any interest it was dismissed as "we had signed Thern"

From the current era:

Robertson
Mctominay
McGinn
Fraser

Would all walk into our side.

I'll say Scott Brown, he's been a driving force for them for years and what he lacks in quality he makes up for in a win at all costs mentality, that our team leaders seem to lack. When he finally retires Celtic are going to have a massive void to fill in their dressing room.

John McGovern - arguably the best Scottish player never to be capped despite winning a European Cup ?
Kenny Burns partnered with Tom Forsyth might have been an interesting centre back pairing. It would be a brave centre forward that would try to run through that ! - (they peaked at slightly different times though with Burns @ 1980 )

Maybe I've got it wrong but the Willie Carson story is definitely true so back in the day a Catholic supporting us would have been unusual.
On Wikipedia it says his father refused to allow him to join septic because of the side show/baggage. Only Wikipedia

I’m sure his book had hibs as his team with possibly an interest in both the old firm . Different days

I know this , he was immense as a player

From the current era:

Robertson
Mctominay
McGinn
Fraser

Would all walk into our side.

I'll say Scott Brown, he's been a driving force for them for years and what he lacks in quality he makes up for in a win at all costs mentality, that our team leaders seem to lack. When he finally retires Celtic are going to have a massive void to fill in their dressing room.
I wouldn’t say I was desperate for us to get him but he had some great performances for Scotland around the time we were expected to sign him and I thought he’d be great for us.

would also be interesting to see what Walter would have done with/for him as a player.

Disclaimer: I left Scotland as a kid so never really appreciated just how much I shouldn't like some players and consequently had an interest in any Scots playing in England.

I have openly admitted to being a fan of Dalglish, and I'm Ok with the stick I take for it.

However, here's one from my childhood that I really shouldn't tell you:

I always thought Cooper and Charlie Nicholas would have linked up well together! :eek::eek::eek:
You’re right mate , both only about 20odd caps as well , although Scotland had lots of cracking players in these days .

When coop collapsed he was actually filming a kids training video with Nicholas & Tommy Craig , I was outside the church at his funeral & it was a who’s who of Scottish football , Tommy burns , billy stark , Tom macadam& Brian Scott arrived together from Celtic to tremendous respect from the mainly Rangers gathering , Charlie Nicholas arrived alone , he was wearing a long white trench coat type & carrying an enormous red , white & blue bouquet of flowers , the crowds partied & Charlie had tears streaming down his face . He’s had my utmost respect since .

From the 60s, Denis Law, Dave Mackay, Alan Gilzean, Charlie Cook, John White would all have improved what was a very good team. I would have thought that most of these players would have been affordable before moving South at that time apart from Law.
In the 70s, Dalglish, Mcgrain, Brownlie were players we should have signed. Ridiculous that we missed out on the first two.

I quite liked Craig Conway when he came up against us, other than that Rory McAllister during “the journey” would have been a goal scoring machine.

Back