Why can’t we boycott away games?

A lot of them wik be the rtv subscription loyal. Always on the match thread moaning about the commentators or the picture quality. Hard to find out what's actually happening in the game itself.

These people financially support the club as well. No reason to think that because your physical location makes it impossible to go to away games you are less of a fan. A blanket boycott wouldn't work anyway, our fan group is to large and widespread to make it work. Also don't think it is a good thing anyway, football is about fans, a game without our fans removes a huge advantage to our team.

Very harsh and on the whole totally untrue.

You think a Rangers supporter who wants to support his team every week is "the problem?"

Come on mate.

Gone are the days when other teams are reliant on the Rangers support for finance.

With the exception of Livingston and St Johnstone, the away allocations have been drastically cut for Rangers away games now.

Motherwell, Killie, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, St Mirren are nowhere near as reliant on income from Rangers coming to town now.

Reduced ground capacities and massively reduced away allocations has totally changed that dynamic.

I regularly attend away games and I’d 100% support a boycott of Livingston next season.

there’s a reason they give us 3 stands and it’s not so our fans can create a wonderful atmosphere that our players love playing in.

I regularly attend away games and I’d 100% support a boycott of Livingston next season.

there’s a reason they give us 3 stands and it’s not so our fans can create a wonderful atmosphere that our players love playing in.

I would support that too, after their recent stance mate.

They're the exception rather than the rule though.

I don’t see why this can’t be done. Even the threat of it should be made public to them before they vote. We need to start standing up for ourselves, because no one else is.

Vote to stop us having the chance of winning a title, you will not get a single blue penny when you need it most. Simple as that.
any spares

You think a Rangers supporter who wants to support his team every week is "the problem?"

Come on mate.

Gone are the days when other teams are reliant on the Rangers support for finance.

With the exception of Livingston and St Johnstone, the away allocations have been drastically cut for Rangers away games now.

Motherwell, Killie, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, St Mirren are nowhere near as reliant on income from Rangers coming to town now.

Reduced ground capacities and massively reduced away allocations has totally changed that dynamic.
If the boycott brigade actually spent time working out how little most clubs actually rely on the blue pound they would see how pointless it is , possibly with the exception of Livingston. Celtic Aberdeen and possibly hearts what be better of if we took no tickets .

Maybe you need to get it out your head that all the clubs go about deliberately sticking the boot into us.

There looking after themselves for fecks sake. They dont give a shit who wins the title. Keep hearing about Livingston wanting to hand them the title. Funny that as they've took more points of the Tim's than we have. Not their fault we never took advantage of it.

Maybe you need to get it out your head that all the clubs go about deliberately sticking the boot into us.

There looking after themselves for fecks sake. They dont give a shit who wins the title. Keep hearing about Livingston wanting to hand them the title. Funny that as they've took more points of the Tim's than we have. Not their fault we never took advantage of it.

Was it in my head in 2012 really ,for what good was it for them to boot us out the Leagues that was really beneficial to all of them following the Celtic mantra and yet here we are again with the same Clubs all backing the Scums agenda yeah it's in my head all right.

Bigger picture, people.

No SPL club went bust when we were in the lower leagues. Partly because we were screwed out of TV and prize money. But partly because these same teams could tell their lenders “our gate receipts will be down for 3 or 4 years but once Rangers are back they’ll return to previous levels”. That would make sense to lenders, who would have lent money at reasonable levels. If there is no prospect of that happening thanks to a boycott, then any lending would be at less competitive rates. Combine this with loss of gate revenue and it would really start to hurt some clubs.

Add in the impact on Sky. They want to present something which looks and sounds good. It’s difficult to do that when every second match they show would have gaping holes in the crowd and zero atmosphere. This would likely have an effect on the amount they would offer for future contracts.

We should be doing anything we can to hurt those who collide and conspire against us. Not rewarding them. Helping other clubs to continue to hurt us just because “I haven’t missed a match in years” is a little selfish, IMHO.

Each to their own.

I know guys that followed the team everywhere up until 2012 and will now never step foot in an away ground again, fair enough, that’s their decision and what they believe in.

Also know plenty of folk that still go everywhere, Florida Cup, Dubai just there, every Europa league game you name it, their argument is that they love following the club more than hating the others.

There’s no right or wrong tbh, it’s a personal decision, and the constant threads on forums and arguing on social media about it is pointless IMO.

These people financially support the club as well. No reason to think that because your physical location makes it impossible to go to away games you are less of a fan. A blanket boycott wouldn't work anyway, our fan group is to large and widespread to make it work. Also don't think it is a good thing anyway, football is about fans, a game without our fans removes a huge advantage to our team.

100% correct.

Plenty fans who are unable to attend away games, or even home games, are every bit as big a Rangers supporter as some who attend home and away every week.

My issue is more with so called supporters who, rather than subscribe to RTV, will use a dodgy stream to watch our games and then slag off both the team and support.

I know lads in Canada and Australia who plough plenty dough into the club through RTV, C1872 etc and are Rangers to the bone.

I also know more than few who don't support the club in any way, but have got plenty to say and love slagging off the club in any way they can.

Parasites.

100% correct.

Plenty fans who are unable to attend away games, or even home games, are every bit as big a Rangers supporter as some who attend home and away every week.

My issue is more with so called supporters who, rather than subscribe to RTV, will use a dodgy stream to watch our games and then slag off both the team and support.

I know lads in Canada and Australia who plough plenty dough into the club through RTV, C1872 etc and are Rangers to the bone.

I also know more than few who don't support the club in any way, but have got plenty to say and love slagging off the club in any way they can.

Parasites.
My mum got to watch our games and she isn’t a massive fan like me or my dad on her cousins RTV when in Australia in December, I was offered to go but we had feyenoord away double header with Celtic, Hibs sheep etc so it was a no go :))

Was it in my head in 2012 really ,for what good was it for them to boot us out the Leagues that was really beneficial to all of them following the Celtic mantra and yet here we are again with the same Clubs all backing the Scums agenda yeah it's in my head all right.
If you feel that bad about it, maybe it's time to quit. They were looking after themselves then and they're doing the same now.

Its us by getting ourselves into a shitload of debt that allowed them to take the power in scotland. People at the time knew a few years before it all went tits up we were heading for a financial fall, but nobody was really interested as we were still winning trophies.

Unfortunately for too long we spent big money trying to depend on long runs in the champions league. When that didnt happen we were in trouble.

If you feel that bad about it, maybe it's time to quit. They were looking after themselves then and they're doing the same now.

Its us by getting ourselves into a shitload of debt that allowed them to take the power in scotland. People at the time knew a few years before it all went tits up we were heading for a financial fall, but nobody was really interested as we were still winning trophies.

Unfortunately for too long we spent big money trying to depend on long runs in the champions league. When that didnt happen we were in trouble.
Quit what would I be quitting Rangers is that what you are saying, so because I would like Rangers supporters to boycott away grounds you think I should quit following my team .

You do know we where £18m in debt which was quite manageable the bank and other forces decided otherwise.

My mum got to watch our games and she isn’t a massive fan like me or my dad on her cousins RTV when in Australia in December, I was offered to go but we had feyenoord away double header with Celtic, Hibs sheep etc so it was a no go :))

A pal of my uncle's lives in Melbourne and is now in his 70s.

Wouldnt think of missing an interview on RTV, let alone a game.

Travels over to Scotland every year for our supporters club dinner in The Thornton Suite and catches the last couple of weeks of the season.

Originally from Springburn and is a great lad.

A pal of my uncle's lives in Melbourne and is now in his 70s.

Wouldnt think of missing an interview on RTV, let alone a game.

Travels over to Scotland every year for our supporters club dinner in The Thornton Suite and catches the last couple of weeks of the season.

Originally from Springburn and is a great lad.
Sydney And Perth my mums two cousins are in mate.

I await my invite to this next dinner ;)

It's very easy to call for a boycott when you don't even go the games in the first place. I go to every game home and away because I love Rangers, until the club actually makes a statement and calls for a boycott then I will be there supporting the team I love.

I hope after this week the club tell Livingston to ram their tickets.

I was thinking more because they will be struggling massively with the Coronavirus effects just now. It will surely impact them harder if they were denied our dosh on top of the virus effects.

Especially when they have no time to budget for it, in 2012 they knew what they were voting for and cut their cloth accordingly.

As someone who hasn't been to an away game in ten years and rarely goes to Ibrox anymore either, I'm not really in a position to offer an opinion on what others should do.

What I will say though is that the support is too fragmented for boycotts to ever work. We never sing from the same hymn sheet over anything.

As someone who hasn't been to an away game in ten years and rarely goes to Ibrox anymore either, I'm not really in a position to offer an opinion on what others should do.

What I will say though is that the support is too fragmented for boycotts to ever work. We never sing from the same hymn sheet over anything.

100% correct

Bigger picture, people.

No SPL club went bust when we were in the lower leagues. Partly because we were screwed out of TV and prize money. But partly because these same teams could tell their lenders “our gate receipts will be down for 3 or 4 years but once Rangers are back they’ll return to previous levels”. That would make sense to lenders, who would have lent money at reasonable levels. If there is no prospect of that happening thanks to a boycott, then any lending would be at less competitive rates. Combine this with loss of gate revenue and it would really start to hurt some clubs.

Add in the impact on Sky. They want to present something which looks and sounds good. It’s difficult to do that when every second match they show would have gaping holes in the crowd and zero atmosphere. This would likely have an effect on the amount they would offer for future contracts.

We should be doing anything we can to hurt those who collide and conspire against us. Not rewarding them. Helping other clubs to continue to hurt us just because “I haven’t missed a match in years” is a little selfish, IMHO.

Football fans going to matches to support their team. It is what we do, it is the whole point of football. Our away support turns most away matches into home matches, it is a sprinting advantage for the team.

If we want to influence the political world around us we don't do it by boycotting away matches. Firstly we could never make it stick. Fans would simply go any way and buy tickets directly form the opposing club. We have way to many fans to make this stick.

Secondly they wouldn't bother about it. We would get bad PR and it wouldn't achieve change. Would make us even more isolated than we already are. To win influence we need to do something different. Hopefully our new PR man will hit the spot, his background is negotiating political deals in NI, so this should be an opportunity to advise on the right strategy.

It's very easy to call for a boycott when you don't even go the games in the first place. I go to every game home and away because I love Rangers, until the club actually makes a statement and calls for a boycott then I will be there supporting the team I love.

In a nutshell mate.

Sick of hearing about this aye just go for a day out etc. Of course there is the social side which is fantastic. However aye there is also Monday nights travelling to pish and shit for your club in all weathers and then the high points of getting a sheep away win.

Games are done sober and done with the social element and they are done whether playing good or attrocious.

Folk that know me know that I always believe that you should expect to get out what you put in. If you go during the shit to support your club then why shouldn't you go during the highs. This is about our own team and players and what benefits us. We demand success but that's because of the size of our club and what we know. Unforutnally for many younger folk they will only know failure.

How about focussing on what our away support have done and do rather than (for some) telling us to stop when you yourself have never known what it's like to follow the club away from home (that's not a dig - that's the reality).

I've always said that my days being able to follow the club away could end tomorrow as you never know whats round the corner but by god if they did I'd never look back on following rangers as funding our haters. It's about following those players that play on the park.

Come on mate.

aberdeen hearts and hibs have said they are struggling financially.
cutting our allocation worked out well for them
they can't even fill their grounds against the scum

Come on mate.

For normal seasons I haven't got an issue with away games, I go to as many myself however I feel that for this season ahead SHOULD the resolution be passed gifting them the title then as a support we should stand firm.

You are correct in saying that many clubs don't financially project for us to a degree however it will be the difference between making a profit or indeed debt. Just my opinion.

It will never happen. I personally 'gave up' away games long before 2012 for various reasons , one of which was not wanting to give my money to opposition clubs , however mates of mine still go and will continue to do so , it's a personal decision.
I feel justified in mine and they do in theirs , it's a catch 22 situation , an argument neither side can win.
PS , at one time I loved going to away games , sadly no longer.

aberdeen hearts and hibs have said they are struggling financially.
cutting our allocation worked out well for them
they can't even fill their grounds against the scum

Aberdeen have cut our allocation to 1200 mate.

The revenue they make from us, in relation to their annual turnover, is negligible.

Hearts and Hibs both have a record number of season tickets now.

They are nowhere near as reliant on our money as they once were.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only ever been to two away games so I could be incorrect but I don't think I am. In those two games, I would wager that a far greater percentage of fans were blind drunk than you'd ever get at Ibrox. I think it also ties in to the idea of our away fans being better and getting behind the team more. In my opinion, it's probably because they're drunk and enjoying a 'party' style experience in a much greater way than you can ever expect of a Saturday at 3pm - though god knows some obviously try.
Plus anytime we get in bigger 9/10 it’s when we’re playing away as like you say, too many bams are blind drunk and don’t really give a fvck about the club and don’t give a fvck about the consequences of their idiotic behaviour

the mantra of the start of this thread is that plenty others won't support a club decision.

I dont agree on that front mate.

I believe that if the club wanted us to boycott certain clubs and on what basis. I think RSC s would back it over all. You'll always get the ones who will buy direct. However if the club said it, the regular away support would listen.

The easy way to do it is , Rangers as a club don't take away tickets , but if bears still want to see the team they would have to apply to the home team for tickets , leaving the home team to pick up the cost of policing the away support & Rangers can be clear of any blame if there's trouble

Since we returned to the PL I have not given one penny to any other club. All my football money goes to Rangers, my choice. We have too many who would never boycott.

I dont agree on that front mate.

I believe that if the club wanted us to boycott certain clubs and on what basis. I think RSC s would back it over all. You'll always get the ones who will buy direct. However if the club said it, the regular away support would listen.

If the club came out urging the fans not to buy tickets for Livingston and cited their chief exec and his recent comments then I think most fans would get behind it.

Livingston would be perfect for it because they clearly do need the money or I presume they wouldn’t sell us most of their stadium.

The easy way to do it is , Rangers as a club don't take away tickets , but if bears still want to see the team they would have to apply to the home team for tickets , leaving the home team to pick up the cost of policing the away support & Rangers can be clear of any blame if there's trouble

If you asked Gerrard how he felt about having no away fans at any games next season how do you think he would answer? He is forever going on about needing the fans behind the team.

For normal seasons I haven't got an issue with away games, I go to as many myself however I feel that for this season ahead SHOULD the resolution be passed gifting them the title then as a support we should stand firm.

You are correct in saying that many clubs don't financially project for us to a degree however it will be the difference between making a profit or indeed debt. Just my opinion.

If the club asked us to boycott I'd have absolutely no issue following their request.

What I have got issue with is someone (not you, as you have shown) who has no inclination or desire to ever go to away games telling me to boycott.

These sort of folk are way more of a problem than supporters who want to attend away games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Probably just echoes Protestantism and the church. Too many splits and factions all pulling in different directions. Easy meat sadly.

Back