The Story of Don Revie and 'Dirty Leeds'.

They really were an uncompromising bunch with Bremner, Hunter, J Charlton etc. Seem to remember Charlton getting into bother with the FA after he claimed in the press that he kept a wee black book with names of opponents that he was goint to get even with after they'd crossed him or his team mates.

The book about Revie released just after The Damned United was great.

When he took over they were 4th biggest team in Leeds after cricket and both rugby codes. Most of the stuff about cheating is bullshit. Their success was incredible for a club never big before, and never really as big since.

I used to have a video called 'Leeds United: The Glory Years, 1965 to 1975' and it's amazing how many times they were runners-up in competitions they ought to have won. They won a fair amount but they were beaten finalists in various cup competitions and runners-up in the league umpteen times, and suffered a ridiculous number of refereeing cock-ups (we know how that feels), not least the infamous WBA game in 1971 that cost them the league, and two blatant cheating performances by referees in the 1973 CWC Final and the 1975 European Cup Final. They were a hard team, dirty to some, but they played some fabulous football, especially from 1969 to 1974.

When he took over they were 4th biggest team in Leeds after cricket and both rugby codes. Most of the stuff about cheating is bullshit. Their success was incredible for a club never big before, and never really as big since.
A superb book, loved it.

You wonder what Cloughie would have done for Leeds -when you see what he achieved at Forest -if player power had not forced him out.
Do you think any of they Leeds players watched Forest in the EC finals and thought what if?
Guaranteed. Not sure how accurate The Damned United is but the Leeds players came across as pretty arrogant (although Cloughie wasn't exactly Mr Modesty!)

They really were an uncompromising bunch with Bremner, Hunter, J Charlton etc. Seem to remember Charlton getting into bother with the FA after he claimed in the press that he kept a wee black book with names of opponents that he was goint to get even with after they'd crossed him or his team mates.
Giles was a really dirty player but terrific player. Lots of hypocrites talked about Dirty Leeds when most teams had hard men then

You wonder what Cloughie would have done for Leeds -when you see what he achieved at Forest -if player power had not forced him out.
Do you think any of they Leeds players watched Forest in the EC finals and thought what if?
Their love, and royalty for Revie was too strong, that anybody would have had hell of a job replacing him. This is depicted in the film. But this was the real deal.

Don Revie's wife came from Lochgelly in Fife. I believe they moved to nearby Kinross when he retired from the game.
Leeds was a cricket city before Revie arrived at Ellend Road so what he achieved there can't be underestimated.
They weren't just Dirty Leeds they were also a great football team.

Is that "The Unforgiven: The Story of Don Revie's Leeds United" by Rob Bagchi and Paul Rogerson?

Reading that just now, good book if a bit "we were cheated!!" all the way through. Obviously written by Leeds fans for Leeds fans. I'd still recommend it though.

Being of a certain age I always had a liking for 70's Leeds. Bremner, Lorimer, McQueen, Harvey, Jordan, the Grays. Half the Scotland team, so good enough for me at the time.

Giles was a really dirty player but terrific player. Lots of hypocrites talked about Dirty Leeds when most teams had hard men then

My old man worked with Jimmy Calderwoods dad in Babbys Jimmy was right mid for Birmingham and his direct opponent was Giles playing left mid for Leeds. Giles told Jimmy if he came near him again he would break his phuckin leg.

I'v not spoke to Jimmy for the best part of half a century but that's true. Be guys on here might be in touch with him but I realise he's not well.

Leeds were a horrible club. Yorkshire was a horrible place. Bent football team. Bent coppers. Geoff Boycott. Horrible.

Michael Sheen gave a tremendous performance as Brian Clough in The Damned United film. He is a great actor-impersonator. Similarly full credit must go to the actor Colm Meaney playing Don Revie. He was more like Don Revie than Don Revie himself, the resemblance was just uncanny.

Certainly nailed that side parting in his barnet!

A wee kunt you often see in a pic with pish stained troosers was top of his list.

Growing up in the 60s /70s when Leeds were at their peak I would say I was never a fan of the but I certainly respected them. I thought Bremner was a great player for them.

As for the term “Dirty Leeds” in those days they were known as “Super Leeds”.

A team that has always been underrated. They were hard but knew how to pla football. They were miles ahead of their time while employing all the subtle tactis to gain advantage that are so common in today football.

Regarding that interview with Clough and Revie, the former would be slaughtered on social media today for his insufferable arrogance, whilst the latter praised for his calm reasonableness. It didn't come across to me as the ding-dong bust up that legend has attributed to it. It would have been fascinating if there had been a reprise of this in 1979 after Clough's Forest had won the European Cup.

I remember that Jack Charlton interview very well. Allegedly the player at the top of his wee black book get-even list was one Bertie Auld, who played for Birmingham up to 1965.

Back