Honeymoon Is Over For The Manger Next Season

Being fair it's not 'some kind of improvement' - it's a huge improvement across the board.

He's also stuck almost £30m in the coffers with the European runs

But there is a conversation that could be had on whether his teams have the mentality and consistency to challenge for a league title over 38 games.

As balanced as you’ll get and I agree with both.

Some of the European results make the struggles against the utter dross look even worse mind you.

Wrong.

If we don't make progress he goes. You can't sack a manager for not winning a league title in our situation.
If he doesnt win the league next year- he is a goner. The only way he could survive is by winning the 2 cups and maybe losing the league with a game or 2 to go.
he will have had enough time , money and transfer windows by next may to be truly judged.
The tide was turning against him before Covid 19 with our post christmas collapse. This has actually bought gerrard time to assess himself and his squad properly. hopefully he has made great use of this time.

So his recent history will have no baring on that decision... At all... Understood.

So at no point would you be using a phrase along the lines of "Trophyless for 3 years" you say?!? That's generous of you! And also a complete lie...

So I suppose the real and genuine positive impact he is having on this club (This Week without a ball having been played) Is going to be relevant!

I'm starting to lose you slightly, I think.

A manager is at the club to deliver trophies. If Gerrard doesn't do that next season then he'll be gone, regardless of pulling power and marketability that would actually become more diminished by his lack of success at the club.

Another trophyless season and he needs sacked.

Another collapse mid way through the season or failure to challenge them over 38 games and he needs sacked.

Hes very lucky that most of our fanbase have dropped their standards by ridiculously comparing his tenure to that of Warburton or Murtys.

Most just seem delighted that we aren't getting pumped off the mentally challengeds on a regular basis whilst ignoring the fact we cant beat ther rest of the shite in the league.

Over the course of 2 seasons, on average, we drop points every 3 games we play.. that's fu.cking disgraceful.

I've had discussions on here before about Gerrard and what an easy ride many have given him domestically .(European football he's been a success)
People can argue black is white all they want but he wins the league next season or he's asked to leave be that mutual or falling on his own sword.Nothing to do with them going for a meaningless 10 IAR but a Rangers manager can't get anymore than 3 tries at it.In fact he's the 1st I can think of in modern times that has been given this much leeway and time to get it right.
It's now time to deliver or we move on to someone else imo.
Let's just say he fails to deliver, who would you replace him with ?

Being fair it's not 'some kind of improvement' - it's a huge improvement across the board.

He's also stuck almost £30m in the coffers with the European runs

But there is a conversation that could be had on whether his teams have the mentality and consistency to challenge for a league title over 38 games.

Clearly his teams don’t have mentality and consistency, the proof is in the pudding, his first season was more or less a free hit which rightfully saw him escape criticism, his 2nd season collapse was disgraceful and the buck stops with the manager on that one, he takes the plaudits for the exciting European results so he has to take the flak for the horrific results against the jobber dross.

He really needs to start learning from his mistakes, we were crying out for a change in tactics or formation after the break to try spice things up yet we persisted with the same shit every week.

Another collapse mid way through the season or failure to challenge them over 38 games and he needs sacked.

Hes very lucky that most of our fanbase have dropped their standards by ridiculously comparing his tenure to that of Warburton or Murtys.

Most just seem delighted that we aren't getting pumped off the mentally challengeds on a regular basis whilst ignoring the fact we cant beat ther rest of the shite in the league.

Over the course of 2 seasons, on average, we drop points every 3 games we play.. that's fu.cking disgraceful.

If his name was Warburton or Murty and he’d the same record as Gerrard, I guarantee you wouldn’t see this level of backing.

It's worth repeating that two years into the job we need to stop comparing Gerrard's progress against the reigns of Warburton, Pedro and Murty.

It's now time to start comparing Gerrard against Gerrard.

He's managed enough games and signed enough players for him to be judged against how he is getting on, not someone who left the post four years ago.
This season is stepping up time or parting ways

I've had discussions on here before about Gerrard and what an easy ride many have given him domestically .(European football he's been a success)
People can argue black is white all they want but he wins the league next season or he's asked to leave be that mutual or falling on his own sword.Nothing to do with them going for a meaningless 10 IAR but a Rangers manager can't get anymore than 3 tries at it.In fact he's the 1st I can think of in modern times that has been given this much leeway and time to get it right.

Definitely mate.

I have every faith that he'll stop Celtic getting the 9.75.

Can’t remember who said it recently, one of our ex players, but I’ve been thinking a lot about the idea that Walter had a team for Europe and a team for the domestics i.e Hemdani would only play in Europe.

And it worked an absolute charm.

Gerrard needs to get that in the head ASAP. He has got Europe pegged beyond belief. I still can’t believe how far we have come in that time.

But we have seen enough of Gerrard’s team to know that the 4-3-3 isn’t enough to win a league title. It needs the dirt and the grit to stick it up these bastards who miraculously pull their A game out when Rangers come calling.

I really hope he has got the tricks up his sleeve, and has learnt that playing Porto, isn’t the same as playing Kilmarnock.

This is Rangers FC. Gerrard needs to deliver now... and he will. The improvement has been there for all to see... yes he has made mistakes, but it is all going to come together next season. Gerrard will know exactly what needs to be done for 55.
IMO we couldn’t be in better hands. For me he’s arguably the best young manager in Britain right now... we’ve got him on an upward trajectory.
Young manager in his first job makes a few mistakes.
Not entirely a surprise.
What has surprised me is how clever he has been in Europe.
Winning in Scotland should be easier than winning in Europe.
However, clearly we get far more even-handed officialdom in Europe and clearly this is why we do so well in that environment in comparison to domestic football.

I can list some favourable decisions we have had in Europe and I can list some that were not so.
Probably they actually do even themselves out.
I simply cannot do the same in Scotland, indeed the scales are weighted so heavily on one side that it is a joke and if there was just one honest football journalist up here, they would highlight it as the stats themselves lay the disgrace bare.
That no journalist will even go near this tells us why the referees themselves are terrorised.

Your right. I'm sure castore would be pumping over £20m into the club and blowing Mike Ashley out of the water in the process if we had McInnes in charge...

Why not? We would still sell the same amount of tops.

The club is bigger than Gerrard. Idolising him to the point we accept failure is ridiculous.

The choice isn't McInnes or Gerrard right now. There are a lot more managers than two.

We would get an even bigger contract next time if we are actually winning trophies.

Seems a smart lad.

Hopefully taken this break to get their heads together and learn some valuable lessons.

Post January was shambolic on the whole. We need a change up/alternate option in a lot of games. The rigidity of the team is Warburton like at times.

In Europe - we’ve been great. It’s keeping the lights on at Ibrox just now, I’d guess.

Domestically, we are closing, but it needs to be better.

The squad is bloated, yet weak. It’s lacking alternatives to our current style. We lack energy and bite in the middle of the park.

Next year is massive - praying we get it right.
Good post mate

Not entirely a surprise.
However, clearly we get far more even-handed officialdom in Europe and clearly this is why we do so well in that environment in comparison to domestic football.

I can list some favourable decisions we have had in Europe and I can list some that were not so.
I simply cannot do the same in Scotland, indeed the scales are weighted so heavily on one side that it is a joke and if there was just one honest football journalist up here, they would highlight it as the stats themselves lay the disgrace bare.
That no journalist will even go near this tells us why the referees themselves are terrorised.

Neil Lennon could be the ref for us at home to Hamilton and we still shouldn't lose.

I kind of agree with this point. But not everything is black and white.
What if we lost the league bye one point or 3 points for example, and got beat in both cup finals one nil. And had played great football.
I think he needs to sign better players but do we have the money. ?? We ain't far away.

I see nobody wants to say it. he needs to stop them getting their fake 10 in a row, if he doesn't the gloating that mob will ensue for about 20 years will be nothing like we have seen before and we all know it. Gerrard has to simply stop that, and for me personally i think above all other competitions that is the sole priority and nothing else for next season. Moan, grind your teeth, say but what about this and that all you want, that is the whole point in the next season when it comes.

You forgetting the guy has had to put up with some of the most corrupt refereeing performances ever seen,you should take into account the points we have been cheated out of before calling for his head imo

"... most of our fanbase have dropped their standards" - what does this actually mean beyond it making a nice soundbite on social media?

The fans aren't involved in Club appointments. The fans aren't involved in transfers. The fans don't pick the team.

Are you suggesting the support starts singing 'sack the manager'? Stop going to games? Would this illustrate that standards haven't been dropped?

Of course, comparisons are made. That's football. That's what we use from season-to-season to base expectations and hopes.

I presume you were celebrating the departure of Ashley's involvement - or do we not consider his stranglehold over the Club?

Gerrard has to win a trophy next season. But the whole "dropping their standards" is just bollocks.

RUBBISH

Not entirely a surprise.

We weren't refereed to equal standards in last year's Europa League. I can rhyme off five or six incidents that were arguably worse than anything we endured in Scotland.

Given how abysmal some of the decisions were it was a wonder we got past Ufa and that we were still in with a shout of advancing with a result against Vienna. It's confirmation bias to suggest anything else.

We perform well in Europe because the pressure is off and the team can't cope with the rigours of Scottish football. It's nothing new. Three successive Rangers managers found this out - shortly before it cost them their jobs.

People wanting to sack him, inspite of obvious progress, are absolutely mental.

It becomes a discussion when we don’t progress or regress. On the basis neither is the case, this shouldn’t even be a topic of discussion.

Sacking Gerrard would set us back years. It’s utterly brainless.

I see nobody wants to say it. he needs to stop them getting their fake 10 in a row, if he doesn't the gloating that mob will ensue for about 20 years will be nothing like we have seen before and we all know it. Gerrard has to simply stop that, and for me personally i think above all other competitions that is the sole priority and nothing else for next season. Moan, grind your teeth, say but what about this and that all you want, that is the whole point in the next season when it comes.

You can’t expect Gerrard - or any other manager we could realistically get - to stop their tainted ten.

Won’t be a popular opinion, not that I care, but with everything against us and their 7/8 years extra European finance and squad development, it’s an impossible job.

Realistically I want to see massive improvements, a cup win and no collapse. I want to see Gerrard drop the safety-first approach, I want to see more than one starting formation - things like that will show me we’re on the up.

It becomes a discussion when we don’t progress or regress. On the basis neither is the case, this shouldn’t even be a topic of discussion.

What if a better, more experienced and more tactically astute manager becomes available and interested?

The idea that it’s Gerrard or nothing is, quite frankly, utter insanity.

I don't think the OP really realises what Stevie is up against. The never ending media campaign to have our best striker banned, for a start. Even Klopp in the Ibrox dugout would face the same ref corruption.
We aren't even spending the same amount of money on players as the scum but still expected to win titles after x amount of years.

Level playing field etc.

Hearts away everyone was seriously pissed off.

That's not an answer for keeping someone.
No it's not an answer, it's a simple question... you've basically stated if he doesn't deliver he needs sacked, if we don't win the a title of some sort next season who would you replace him with ? Hardly a difficult question to answer.

Thanks. Saved me writing exactly the same. Of course I want trophies and the title but sustainable progress is the measure on which Gerrard should be judged. Keep progressing, as we undeniably have so far under him, then the trophies will come.

Why not? We would still sell the same amount of tops.

The club is bigger than Gerrard. Idolising him to the point we accept failure is ridiculous.

The choice isn't McInnes or Gerrard right now. There are a lot more managers than two.

We would get an even bigger contract next time if we are actually winning trophies.
Success in Europe will probably be more attractive to Castore than a trophy in Scotland, one could easily argue.
But of course, winning trophies, even in Scotland, will boost the club's profile.

Perhaps it is because I live in England and in some ways, I am removed from the day to day involvement with Filth minded people, that I see things differently from supporters who have to endure them.
My own perception down here is that the club has benefited massively from our European exploits.
I cannot say it enough, people outside Scotland do not get excited with 5-0 victories over St Johnstone whereas they take notice and really do see the value and merit in an away win in Portugal.

So whilst Gerrard has to win a trophy, he really does, nonetheless, the financial influence from both his own profile and our European exploits may not help sell another shirt or tracksuit, our fans will buy our stuff regardless, but it will certainly be a heavyweight factor in making the club more attractive to a firm like Castore and any future sponsors.

Progress domestically for Rangers is silverware, therefore we have flopped spectacularly on that front.

It’s almost as if there isn’t a manager in world football who could do a better job than Gerrard, someone who is now approaching his 3rd season without a trophy.

The league is a non negotiable this year, no matter what anyone says.

We have to win that league in my eyes.

Anyone playing down them winning ten in a row is kidding themselves on. The vast majority of the fans know it, the board know it, the manager and his staff know it and its down to them and us to make sure the players know it.

This upcoming season HAS to be 55.

He really needs to start learning from his mistakes, we were crying out for a change in tactics or formation after the break to try spice things up yet we persisted with the same shit every week.

This is where it went wrong 100%. We got injuries and suspensions and failed to find a way to adapt.

Persisting with the 4-3-3 without key components like Tav and Morelos was mind numbing after a few games. So clear it wasn't working and needed a change.

Putting Flanagan in for Tav at Tynecastle was the start of it and it made the team lopsided. They knew to double up on Borna so he couldn't get forward and they knew nothing would be coming down the right and were able to attack there.

We became far too predictable and without our better players we were easy to exploit. How many times did Walter Smith throw complete curve balls into the starting XI to mix things up. We need to be adaptable and our squad players need to be ready to come in and make a difference.

Although not world beaters -Jones, Stewart, Docherty for example are all good SPL players and done damage against us before. I think the fringe players were poorly man managed all season.

Reactions: LD5
"... most of our fanbase have dropped their standards" - what does this actually mean beyond it making a nice soundbite on social media?

The fans aren't involved in Club appointments. The fans aren't involved in transfers. The fans don't pick the team.

Are you suggesting the support starts singing 'sack the manager'? Stop going to games? Would this illustrate that standards haven't been dropped?

Of course, comparisons are made. That's football. That's what we use from season-to-season to base expectations and hopes.

I presume you were celebrating the departure of Ashley's involvement - or do we not consider his stranglehold over the Club?

Gerrard has to win a trophy next season. But the whole "dropping their standards" is just bollocks.

I think fans on here have radically altered their expectations of what success looks like under Gerrard to suit the "progress" that he's brought to the club, not the other way around.

Neil Lennon could be the ref for us at home to Hamilton and we still shouldn't lose.
I kinda agree.
Maybe you should tell that to Graeme Souness as well, if memory serves me right.
The Hamilton game was a real low point and possibly was the three points that dissolved a case against The Filth being awarded a fairly worthless league flag.
However, the game at Kilmarnock where refereeing became the biggest influence in the result was a blow that maybe psychologically undermined the players and although we argue that it shouldn't, the truth is it served to underline a feature of the season and indeed the previous season that must surely piss the players off.

What if a better, more experienced and more tactically astute manager becomes available and interested?

Of course it is, we are competing in a league in which Neil feckin Lennon and a fairly average Celtic side are winning several trebles on the spin, it’s preposterous to suggest no manager could come in and halt the slide and doing so would set us back years.

Progress domestically for Rangers is silverware, therefore we have flopped spectacularly on that front.

It’s almost as if there isn’t a manager in world football who could do a better job than Gerrard, someone who is now approaching his 3rd season without a trophy.

The one that always gets me is "but who else could we have appointed?!" as if the only option we had was to appoint a youth team coach who'd only ever been previously approached by MK fcking Dons.

No it's not an answer, it's a simple question... you've basically stated if he doesn't deliver he needs sacked, if we don't win the a title of some sort next season who would you replace him with ? Hardly a difficult question to answer.

Let's hope we don't need to.But like my OP it's hypothetical. Wouldn't know who would be available at that time if it arrived. But I will say it again who would you get?Isn't a valid reason for keeping someone.

You can’t expect Gerrard - or any other manager we could realistically get - to stop their tainted ten.

Won’t be a popular opinion, not that I care, but with everything against us and their 7/8 years extra European finance and squad development, it’s an impossible job.

Realistically I want to see massive improvements, a cup win and no collapse. I want to see Gerrard drop them safety-first approach, I want to see more than one starting formation - things like that will show me we’re on the up.
Well we realistically could have won he league on the form we had before the winter break, we all know that, and without the collapse as you say the league can still be won the season coming, but realistically it's going to take the biggest mammoth like challenge from the Manager, players and the fans, fans need to be just as vocal as we had been in European nights in the 90s every game without fail, just has to happen, that's were the realism of us winning comes from.

Any time I've criticised Gerrard or said he needed replaced it's always the same bollocks I get in response..

"It wasn't so long ago we were getting pumped by celtic every game".

"Have you forgot about the 5-1 pumping we got at Ibrox?".

Just because we're now a match for them in one off games doesnt mean everything else should just be accepted which it seems to be by some.

Also no idea why you brought Ashley up whilst discussing Gerrard.. strange.

I think I would stop slightly short of giving him such high praise but I certainly agree on the reservations over the ability to do it over a full season, and I really do think his failure to be part of a successful title-winning team at Liverpool - or at least part of one that mounted sustained campaigns over seasons - could be part of the problem.

How do you explain serial winners as managers like Mourinho for instance who were sh*te as players themselves?

Him slipping at Anfield has no relevance to any of our current issues or his abilities as a manager.

Any time I've criticised Gerrard or said he needed replaced it's always the same bollocks I get in response..

"It wasn't so long ago we were getting pumped by celtic every game".

"Have you forgot about the 5-1 pumping we got at Ibrox?".

Just because we're now a match for them in one off games doesnt mean everything else should just be accepted which it seems to be by some.

Also no idea why you brought Ashley up whilst discussing Gerrard.. strange.

Again, what do you mean by 'acceptance' - what do you want the support to do?

And why is it strange? Ashley has been an important influence over the Club and has dictated much of what we can and can't do in recent times. Do you think that has had an impact on any of the managers?

The sad reality and frankly worry for me is that should he win the league, there will be some very disappointed people on here. The number of times we get posters forward thinking failure is just a source of bemusement to me. But each to their own I suppose.

The club spent 8 months looking for a manager before appointing Gerrard and the interested parties were woeful. It's as if people have erased that period from memory, when our first choice was McInnes and then when he knocked it back the likes of Pardew and Rowatt were our best options.

We would attract a better calibre of manager now I am pretty sure but that's down to the job Gerrard has done raising our profile and the standard of our squad as well.

He won't survive another trophyless season imo. I actually think he would walk away himself if we seen another collapse like this season and didn't take it right to the wire.

Back