Honeymoon Is Over For The Manger Next Season

More than one reply on this thread suggesting that if Gerrard can’t topple the papes, then no one can - which is an extraordinary thing to say, and wouldn’t be said about a manager with the same ability but a less well-known name.

Plenty said in January/February/March that if Gerrard were to leave, we would be shopping in the bargain basement. It was either Gerrard or Wright/McInnes/Holt etc and they were deadly serious like it was Gerrard or the world's end.

People forget that Gerrard was an under-18's coach when we appointed him. He has no managerial experience at first team level. That from where we had just come from and been, was crazy.

You see the work Bisgrove, Wilson, Mulholland, Scoulding etc are doing in order to make this club better. There is no way that when Gerrard eventually leaves that we are ending up with someone like Tommy Wright. Wilson would be failing in his job.

Positive moves from Gerrard today in regards to the players he has shipped out. Hopefully this is the start of it.

The biggest issue with FF is clueless numpties who want everyone and anyone sacked at the drop of a hat. People who refuse to appreciate the difficulty of the challenges we face, accept the reality that we're trying to win the title with a huge financial disadvantage to our biggest rival who also have everything else rigged in their favour.

People performing mind-boggling mental gymnastics to avoid saying we've made progress when we have in almost every single aspect possible. Sure, we need trophies. They will come. Talk of sacking the manager at this stage? Mental beyond tablets.

And don't forget there was thread after thread calling for his head after the Aberdeen semi last season. Now tell me again with a straight face these people don't enjoy it.

We should see and end to this "we need to stop 10 next season". 10iar is dead, they didn't even win 9.

Steven Gerrard in his first 2 seasons as a manger did more in European Football than his former manager ever did while being "invincible".

There has been progress made undoubtedly. What some of our players need to realise is that WE are the team the diddy clubs want to beat - not Shameless FC. Most teams go out against them beat before they go over the white line but those same players want to run through a wall when facing us. Their fans care more about getting one over us due to a misplaced notion of being "cheated".

The biggest mistake Gerrard has made is that he talked about horses for courses when he first came in and hasn't done that, he has stuck rigidly to the 4-3-3 system.

The other thing is that we have not been able to win a trophy since we were demoted. Part of the blame for that should go to Warburton for messing up the Cup Final in 2016. It's something that has been allowed to fester and become a thing - like Alfie not scoring against the filth.

One thing is for sure, we can't keep hitting the reset button every summer.

More than one reply on this thread suggesting that if Gerrard can’t topple the papes, then no one can - which is an extraordinary thing to say, and wouldn’t be said about a manager with the same ability but a less well-known name.
The manager's performance is judged relative to expectations. Gerrard and the players aren't expected to win anything.

This is what we need and break the bank to do it.A proper central mf general.a big physical cf that we can pump balls upto.I think Alfie is done here in this shithole and tbh good player tho he is I was getting sick of his shit.Sign Hagi.Add a couple cloggers like Ferguson at the sheep and Dykes from Livi and sign Souter from Hearts.

This is what we need and break the bank to do it.A proper central mf general.a big physical cf that we can pump balls upto.I think Alfie is done here in this shithole and tbh good player tho he is I was getting sick of his shit.Sign Hagi.Add a couple cloggers like Ferguson at the sheep and Dykes from Livi and sign Souter from Hearts.

Any talk of ‘breaking the bank’ is utter stupidity, but I’m not even sure this post is serious.

The biggest issue with FF is clueless numpties who want everyone and anyone sacked at the drop of a hat. People who refuse to appreciate the difficulty of the challenges we face, accept the reality that we're trying to win the title with a huge financial disadvantage to our biggest rival who also have everything else rigged in their favour.

People performing mind-boggling mental gymnastics to avoid saying we've made progress when we have in almost every single aspect possible. Sure, we need trophies. They will come. Talk of sacking the manager at this stage? Mental beyond tablets.

And don't forget there was thread after thread calling for his head after the Aberdeen semi last season. Now tell me again with a straight face these people don't enjoy it.
Its almost as if they were fine with us building in the lower leagues, but as soon as we reached the Premier again it was expected that we'd return to business as usual or else people were for the sack.

It has to be an incremental build, and like it or not, Europe gives us more of a chance of getting where we want to be faster because of the money we earn.

I think sadly it looks very likely SG will leave without a title. He either get the message from the stands and get out or he'll run out of time. Too many of our support can't adjust to the reality of life post Whyte. We see threads every day how much will we spend etc etc. We see Europe cast off as irrelevant from far too many.
The virus has presented us another massive hurdle and the only advantage I can see is that it might break the impact of their run by the strong possibility like this season next season is abnormal.

We don't have the patience for the rebuild and SG will get chances elsewhere you'd bet the bank on the Board going for the most pragmatic manager they can get as a replacement to try and win by any means.

We are plugging financial gaps every season and that can't go on. Meanwhile our support dream of bursting the bank and we will get the inevitable but we spend more than everyone else and of course the predictable they ain't that good.

SG really couldn't have done too much more, nope the world certainly doesn't end with him and sure mistakes were made. Considering what he inherited and what he has delivered his status as an emerging manager is solid but not for a lot of our support-so it is what it is. The reaction pre-virus sets the tone for where this is going.

Ultimately though I am actually more concerned with how we restart the season and when. Nothing looks remotely clear.

That’s a lot of money required to fix that.
You’d be right. But then I think we’ve squandered money on squad players instead of promoting youth. Had we not done that we could have had more quality in the first 11.

Some of the signings under Gerrard have added little or been money overspent for fourth choices:
Edmundson, Ejaria, Ojo, Barker, Hastie, Stewart to name some.

Most of us would have said last summer we needed:
A defensive right back option
A commanding centre half
A ball winning midfielder comfortable on the ball
A creative midfielder who can shoot
A right winger of quality
A forward good in the air

We maybe brought in the centre half (Helander) though he doesn’t look like he’s amazing in the air. We maybe brought in the creative midfielder (Hagi) but not until January.

The recruitment this summer has to hit the mark. It didn’t last summer.

Most teams go out against them beat before they go over the white line but those same players want to run through a wall when facing us.

It's about the squad quality. They look like they're willing to run through walls against us, but that's because we're more fatigued than the beasts. When our players drops in form we have very few on the bench of the required quality to actually compete for a place in the squad.

It's about the squad quality. They look like they're willing to run through walls against us, but that's because we're more fatigued than the beasts. When our players drops in form we have very few on the bench of the required quality to actually compete for a place in the squad.

I disagree mate.

Are you seriously telling me that Nir Bitton is a better player than say Glen Kamara.

We have shown under Gerrard that there is little difference between us and the filth. It's what happens when we both play the diddy teams that is the difference.

For example Hearts

Won 2 games & drew one at Tynecastle against us and in 3 games against the filth scored 1 goal.

They pretty much cheated their own fans this season as their players showed that they could get up for a game against us and didn't bother when playing the rest of the league. We pumped them at Ibrox in December and beat them easily at Hampden in the LCSF in the space of a few weeks.

Public persona and press: pass marks approaching 100 per cent. Signings, tactics and subs have been woeful. Man management- the jury's out. The jacket is on a shoogley peg.

Has to win the league cup to ease the pressure. If we don't and the Tim's win another trophy then the pressure will be unreal even if we are ahead by a few points

Are you seriously telling me that Nir Bitton is a better player than say Glen Kamara.

We have shown under Gerrard that there is little difference between us and the filth. It's what happens when we both play the diddy teams that is the difference.

Biton is a CB no?

Kamara at his best is excellent, but how often is that? Every three or four games?

There's little between our best XI and the best filth XI, but compare the benches and the rest of the squads and the difference is obvious. Over a season a club playing domestic and in Europe plays around 60 games a season? It's a given that a team needs changed up time and again because of fatigue, suspensions, injuries, players out of form etc. The filth squad is more equipped to handle these situations than ours at the moment. Also, the beasts can change up the formation from 4231 to a 352, while SG is hell bent on playing his 433 no matter what. That makes us more prone to teams finding us out when we only got that one formation.

When our team consist of an out of form Goldson, out of form Morelos, out of form Kent, inexperienced Edmundson, out of form Kamara and a tired Davis, who's going to take responsibility and grab the game by the scruff of the neck when it gets ruff and rowdy? Nobody did home to Accies, nobody at Tynecastle, Kamberi against St J, nobody at Rugby Park.

e
I think sadly it looks very likely SG will leave without a title. He either get the message from the stands and get out or he'll run out of time. Too many of our support can't adjust to the reality of life post Whyte. We see threads every day how much will we spend etc etc. We see Europe cast off as irrelevant from far too many.
The virus has presented us another massive hurdle and the only advantage I can see is that it might break the impact of their run by the strong possibility like this season next season is abnormal.

We don't have the patience for the rebuild and SG will get chances elsewhere you'd bet the bank on the Board going for the most pragmatic manager they can get as a replacement to try and win by any means.

We are plugging financial gaps every season and that can't go on. Meanwhile our support dream of bursting the bank and we will get the inevitable but we spend more than everyone else and of course the predictable they ain't that good.

SG really couldn't have done too much more, nope the world certainly doesn't end with him and sure mistakes were made. Considering what he inherited and what he has delivered his status as an emerging manager is solid but not for a lot of our support-so it is what it is. The reaction pre-virus sets the tone for where this is going.

Ultimately though I am actually more concerned with how we restart the season and when. Nothing looks remotely clear.

I’m fine with a long term build but the club need to be clear on it.

If anything, at least it would prepare the fans for the manager not being sacked should we not win the league.

The biggest problem is that we still don't have consistent goal scorers at both of our wide attacking positions. It's always been the problem. Playing the system of Mane, Firminho and Salah but with Kent and a mixed bag. Morelos is great at bringing people in and hold up play but the others who've played in the front 3 cannot score consistently.

If Kent/Hagi/Arfield/Aribo/Kamberi can't contribute with goals in the front 3 then the flat 3 infront of defence had to - but their job is shoring up the high fullbacks.

We don't (IMO) want a 4-4-2. Even with wingers pressing up you end up with 4 attackers instead of 5 like with the 4-3-3. We need goal scorers in the 3 across it all. This is why Kent and Hagi (and Aribo) don't seem to fit in the system well.

The expectations of the support need to be level - we made progress this year. 6 bad weeks and one cheating performance in the cup final doesn't change that.

We do need to go further again next year and we do need a few hard nosed players that suit a fight in the Scottish game.

Anyone who thinks we haven't made massive progress on and off the pitch isn't paying attention.

We need to understand where we are compared to where we were. The gap was massive, sustained by a corrupt one horse league that enabled Celtic to sow it up and still enables them to outspend us 2-1.

SG is the man for the job but he must stop being so stubborn and learn from his mistakes and adopt to any given game.

Like others have said the season finishing early saved Gerrards job.
We were on such a bad run and looked clueless at times.
With the money we have spent on players I think any manager we brought in would have finished second.
Another manger might have bought better and won us the league who knows.
Kent and helander for example over 10 million spent.
Has Kent been worth 7 million not for me

Gerrard in the spfl is about 5 or 6 out of 10 no better.
He is not learning from his mistakes.
How many games do we play down the wings and whip endless balls into the box and the big centre halves just soak them up.

Gerrard needs new ideas needs to be more flexible in our system or he will be in big trouble.
Warburton never learned and look l what happened.

Biton is a CB no?

Kamara at his best is excellent, but how often is that? Every three or four games?

There's little between our best XI and the best filth XI, but compare the benches and the rest of the squads and the difference is obvious. Over a season a club playing domestic and in Europe plays around 60 games a season? It's a given that a team needs changed up time and again because of fatigue, suspensions, injuries, players out of form etc. The filth squad is more equipped to handle these situations than ours at the moment. Also, the beasts can change up the formation from 4231 to a 352, while SG is hell bent on playing his 433 no matter what. That makes us more prone to teams finding us out when we only got that one formation.

When our team consist of an out of form Goldson, out of form Morelos, out of form
Kent, inexperienced Edmundson, out of form Kamara and a tired Davis, who's going to take responsibility and grab the game by the scruff of the neck when it gets ruff and rowdy? Nobody did home to Accies, nobody at Tynecastle, Kamberi against St J, nobody at Rugby Park.

Bitton was a CM converted to a CB. He can play there against most SPFL teams and look like Beckenbauer because the diddy clubs don't attack the Filth. Thats why them going to 3-5-2 was seen as a master stroke.

Our main problem since January was that most of our big players went off the boil at the one time.

Kent I'm prepared to give a little leeway to as he is an out and out winger being told to play as an inside forward. Look at the back end of the season before when Arfield played as the IF and Kent played as a Winger. We won every game apart from the last one against Killie since losing at the Piggery at the end of March.

It isnt helpful to add further pressure to SG.

Celtic have a massive financial advantage before we even consider cheating refs, compliance officer, footballing authorities, MSM attacks etc. Celtic also have a head start in terms of a settled winning team.

Im backing SG all the way. He's the right man for the job.

He wont win anything as the cheating refs will see to that.
I am not really in to all the conspiracy theories but when you think of Halliday getting a card at Morton and Jack getting Reds for tackles that other teams do all the time. Beaton missing the Tavernier body slam. The offside decision in the LC final and Morelos getting sent off for farting then you really have to believe something is crooked.

I have a feeling this 10 in a row crap is going to do our future more harm than anything.

I'm not going to be blinded by some mentally challengeds shouting their mouth off about winning a league. Too many seem to think we should have been sweeping up trophies as soon as we returned, I didn't for a minute. To be honest, I've seen worse than this. Basically out the league and Europe in October.

If this is the amount of negativity already among the support, we might as well accept them winning the league already.

Never mind, we can look forward to big sam if it goes wrong

Celtic have a massive financial advantage before we even consider cheating refs, compliance officer, footballing authorities, MSM attacks etc. Celtic also have a head start in terms of a settled winning team.

If they have all the advantages, then he’s the right man to do what exactly?

Not digging. Just genuinely keen to know what your take us on expectations.

I have a feeling this 10 in a row crap is going to do our future more harm than anything.

I'm not going to be blinded by some mentally challengeds shouting their mouth off about winning a league. Too many seem to think we should have been sweeping up trophies as soon as we returned, I didn't for a minute. To be honest, I've seen worse than this. Basically out the league and Europe in October.

If this is the amount of negativity already among the support, we might as well accept them winning the league already.

The depressing thing is that Big Sam would probably have done around about as well as Gerrard domestically. His teams play a way that would almost suit Scotland.

I know it was a throwaway comment mate, but why so much clamour for Big Sam? I didn't understand it at the time. He's won nothing of note (playoffs are not trophies) and overall has a pish win percentage outside of the England job.

I never quite got the fascination.

Aside from that I agree entirely. We've got some in our support, and on here, who are more interested in celtic not winning than they are in Rangers winning.

No offence mate but you really seem have a severe dislike for SG, you're on every thread slating the manager.

If you get your way who come in and who does a better job?

I know it was a throwaway comment mate, but why so much clamour for Big Sam? I didn't understand it at the time. He's won nothing of note (playoffs are not trophies) and overall has a pish win percentage outside of the England job.

I never quite got the fascination.

Aside from that I agree entirely. We've got some in our support, and on here, who are more interested in celtic not winning than they are in Rangers winning.
Mate, I no more want him than you. He was mentioned few times when the clamour started to get rid of gerrard.

Mate, I no more want him than you. He was mentioned few times when the clamour started to get rid of gerrard.
I know. I just don't understand why.

I'm actually concerned that the more vocal element of knicker wetters will get their way, meanwhile telling everyone how loyal they are. Between this thread and the one about the honeymoon being over, some have the knives out already.

*edit: this is the honeymoon thread. I thought it was the 'minimum you expect' thread

Last edited:

Given whats happened recently, if any Rangers fan gives "10iar" credence going forward then forget it.

Warburton had the chance to win us our 34th Scottish Cup and failed from leading 2-1 because his teams can't defend. Going forward any Rangers manager who loses a cup game is a dud given that nobody else has beaten the filth (ironically since Warburton) in 2016 in cup competition. That isn't our manager's fault and has more to do with the other clubs who just want to make sure they don't get gubbed by them.

Last seasons cup draws should say it all about corruption

Last Season

LC - Killie A
Ayr H (alfie booked for being halved and can't play in SF)
Sheep N Lose 1-0 due to not having a striker or Umar Sadiq

SC

Killie A - 0-0 Ryan Jack gets assualted - no red card
replay 5-0 Killie keeper gets red card overturned after elbowing Glen Kamara
Sheep - 0-0 Alfie gets booted feck out of all game and finally gets a FK in the 83rd min. He also got a booking for diving after getting halfed by McKenna
replay - Alfie gets booked for "diving" twice when we should have had a penalty, result - he is out of the semi final if we got there, we lost the replay.

Nobody realises this because we lost to the Sheep but we were drawn against Celtic and Alfie would have been suspended for two bookings that he did not deserve. Guess who the ref was? KC

He's the best man to put us back on top. I cant think of anyone better.

He's a winner with drive and determination. He's played at the highest level and he's built a good solid foundation from ground zero two years ago. The tims fear him and if we can get ahead I think they'll panic as many of them dont rate TLB.

I've read many say the home fans are a hindrance due to negativity. Well that's not going to be a problem.

Anyone that doesn't think our biggest problem is the establishment, particularly refs, has had their head in the sand the last few months. It's why this fight is so important. No use stopping now as they will get worse.

I don’t think he would of survived the season if we played to a finish. Ibrox was toxic vs Hamilton.
Agreed...it could be his saving grace. We will hopefully come back strong. Closed door football may suit us better.

He's the best man to put us back on top. I cant think of anyone better.

He's a winner with drive and determination. He's played at the highest level and he's built a good solid foundation from ground zero two years ago. The tims fear him and if we can get ahead I think they'll panic as many of them dont rate TLB.
Why would the tims fear him? Gerrard is 0/6 for silverware.

Our main problem since January was that most of our big players went off the boil at the one time.

We agree on that point. Also, it's SGs responsibility to piece together a squad that can handle all these variables. He's got four transfer windows now, right? Next season is his time to either fly or fall and we should give him the time to see it out, but he's not immune to critic underway.

Why would the tims fear him? Gerrard is 0/6 for silverware.

Out of those 6 we have only had the chance of winning 1 which we were robbed by the offside goal.

If we get beat in early rounds then its a slight on the manager but Barcelona or Real Madrid dont win trebles in La Liga despite the hundreds of millions of pounds advantage they have over the rest.

We are in a situation where Beaton has been rounded on after refereeing a game fairly in 2018. He hasn't dared do so since. God help any refereee who is in the middle for a Celtic cup defeat as their career is over,

Thats part of the problem we face now.

Like others have said the season finishing early saved Gerrards job.
We were on such a bad run and looked clueless at times.
With the money we have spent on players I think any manager we brought in would have finished second.
Another manger might have bought better and won us the league who knows.
Kent and helander for example over 10 million spent.
Has Kent been worth 7 million not for me

Gerrard in the spfl is about 5 or 6 out of 10 no better.
He is not learning from his mistakes.
How many games do we play down the wings and whip endless balls into the box and the big centre halves just soak them up.

Gerrard needs new ideas needs to be more flexible in our system or he will be in big trouble.
Warburton never learned and look l what happened.

You've blown your argument in the 3rd sentence

There's no doubt the covid crisis came at just the right time for him. We've kinda forgotten how bad some our results were in 2020 and now they don't matter. Next year is crunch time though, we can't get of to a flyer and then fck out up like we did this year. flyers won't get away with it again.

There's no doubt the covid crisis came at just the right time for him. We've kinda forgotten how bad some our results were in 2020 and now they don't matter. Next year is crunch time though, we can't get of to a flyer and then fck out up like we did this year. flyers won't get away with it again.

Results after the winter break were

W 1-0 v St Mirren
L 2-1 v Hearts
W 2-0 v Ross Co
D 0-0 v Aberdeen
W 2-1 v Hibs
W 4-1 v Hamilton
L 2-1 v Killie
W 1-0 V Livingston
D 2-2 v St Johnstone
L 0-1 v Hamilton
W 1-0 v Ross County

Given how other teams can't get results against the filth, our draws are seen as defeats and in the games we lost we were shafted by the referee but we shouldn't complain about that :rolleyes:

The problem we have is that because the filth beat these teams easily then us drawing against them is seen as a major failuire. The diddy teams dont care if they get humiliated by the filth. St Johnstone on the opening day of the season says it all.

When the diddy clubs play us they want a result. Until we can deal with that we won't win anything.

I disagree I've not seen any evidence of that at all.

Why do you think that?

Do you remember when the news of him having negotiations with us first broke? Before that we’d all sat here talking about the next appointment for months, and pretty much the entire forum unanimously agreed that it had to be someone with experience. Then Gerrard’s name was dropped and all that stuff about experience being the key requirement went right out the window as everyone turned into wee lassies on the Gerrard express.

I think that sort of thing tells you that his stature and name do mean a bit too much to some fans. The way some have spoken about him at times it’s like they believe we’re ever so fortunate to have him at our little club, as opposed to him being fortunate to get to manage this big club as his first gig. Plus there’s the crazy gymnastics folk do to blame anyone but the Gerrard at times; they always say the buck stops with the manager but the gaffer seems to be an exception, so instead it becomes an issue of the players (whom he signed of course) and you even see ludicrous suggestions like getting rid of McAllister. On top of that you had folk attributing any successful signing to Gerrard and any failed signing to Mark Allen without even knowing who was responsible for what deals. I didn’t really see this level of denial or protection for PLG or even Walter when everyone kicked up the “ah time to go walter, it just hasn’t worked out in the second stint” after we lost to the scum in the new year game in 2009; so it sort of suggests that Gerrard probably gets it because he’s a superstar name and people love that aspect of his reign.

The defensive reactions you get to threads like this can be a nightmare too and are also indicative of him getting extra protection for who he is. So instead of anyone actually telling us why we should turn a blind eye to 2 seasons worth of repeated mistakes and 2 huge collapses at the same stage each time, all you generally get is “ahhh you just want him to fail don’t you, you’re revelling in it” and all that absolute drivel. Realistically, he fully deserves another shot, but I’ll bet if we crumble the same way a third time you’ll still have the same folk wanting Gerrard kept on, with everyone else replaced instead. I’ve already had a discussion with one bloke on here who has already confirmed he should get a 4th bite at the cherry should we go trophy-less next season too. Mental.

We had a massive financial advantage when they stopped us getting 10.

And mine.

No chance I'm wanting our manager sacked if there's been genuine progress and silverware won.

10 doesn't bear thinking about, but if our team has progressed, then sacking the manager sets us back again.

I thinn the gaffer would leave if he failed next season. The guy has massive standards.

Results after the winter break were

W 1-0 v St Mirren
L 2-1 v Hearts
W 2-0 v Ross Co
D 0-0 v Aberdeen
W 2-1 v Hibs
W 4-1 v Hamilton
L 2-1 v Killie
W 1-0 V Livingston
D 2-2 v St Johnstone
L 0-1 v Hamilton
W 1-0 v Ross County

Given how other teams can't get results against the filth, our draws are seen as defeats and in the games we lost we were shafted by the referee but we shouldn't complain about that :rolleyes:

The problem we have is that because the filth beat these teams easily then us drawing against them is seen as a major failuire. The diddy teams dont care if they get humiliated by the filth. St Johnstone on the opening day of the season says it all.

When the diddy clubs play us they want a result. Until we can deal with that we won't win anything.
I was actually just thinking about this yesterday when these teams come to play us its unbelievable the last ditch defending. Players throwing there bodies on the line. Goalkeepers having the game of there life. Yet dont lay a glove on them. Some will say im paranoid. For us to win the league is going to be real tough

I think the gaffer will hold himself to his own high standards and walk if he doesnt take the title next year anyways.

We were mentally shot after the break. So bad I feared getting a penalty as we’d be sure to miss it. Everything that was good was now bad. Fans were waiting to pounce on a slack pass by the end. Our best performers from the first 4 months in Jack, Davis, Alfie and Borna either didn’t play or were Anonymous. Kent, tav and goldson looked scared to get the ball.
I’ll focus on how consistent we were until early December and hope that’s how we start again with a few tweaks. If games are played behind closed doors it may help some players!!

Last edited:
I’ve made my feelings on the manager very clear if the League didn’t stop he would have struggled to see out the rest of the season.

He needs to make some decent signings and learn to change things up ot he’s not going to see Christmas.

I hope he turns it around but I am just not sure he’s got it in him.

I know it’s been said on here a few times but the situation with Alex Ferguson for me is apt and very much in the way you build a legacy not just like Wim Jansen and be a one season wonder.

if you hire a guy who you believe has the right credentials you have to back him with time unless you can back him immediately with crazy sums of money to get the squad right. We have an absolute modern day legend at our club learning to be a manager, he has to be allowed his mistakes. We have a guy whose name alone will be offering us up opportunities that in our stage of the club trying to normalise itself based on our pre 2012 history we may not have had. He gives us interest in places that perhaps we didn’t generate interest in the past.

Gerrard is different to Warburton and Caixhina as he is a winner off the bat, he gets big club mentality much better than the other two ever did or will. Gerrard himself will know he needs to win a trophy soon. His achievements in Europe will go a long way to please the board maybe more than the fans as that has given us income to accelerate our position perhaps and is worth in monetary terms much more than winning the league.

this is also a crazy time with coronavirus but we for the first time go into a season with all the crap off the field behind us, what a weight off the club that is. I think the feel good factor with being allowed back to matches and our new retail and club shop back in our hands will be huge.

Ferguson wasn't unproven. Gerrard is. There seems to be an assumption that Gerrard will become a great manager if he's just given time and a bit more money. There was a track record with Ferguson and proven success elsewhere. Gerrard is an absolute punt. He's a gamble with no form other than with Rangers.

Back