Depth at Left Back - Options?

Anyone who is suggesting Douglas can't have watched him play much during the last 2 seasons.

Awful defensively (so bad that Leeds play a guy who isn't a natural LB ahead of him), delivery is extremely inconsistent, injury prone & now over 30.

He would be an awful signing unless he was little risk i.e basically free

Reactions: Gee
Steven Kingsley Is on a free at hull came through the Falkirk youth system has been playing in the championship the last few season he would be the perfect back up to borna and I doubt he'll be a high earner

I don't see it with Barry Douglas tbh. He's certain not the defender some make him out to be. Being a Rangers supporter certainly helps him.

If we were to replace Barišić then I wouldn't be too concerned. He kicked on massively after his free kick at St. Mirren and full credit to him for that. A tasty offer comes in and we should certainly consider it.

Hickey is no where near ready for Rangers plus he's got Celtic leanings.

Max Lowe was one we should have moved for last summer, early doors. Was a bit unimpressed at first but he had some good attributes that could have developed further.

Sam McQueen at Southampton is some Ross Wilson will know all about. Cracking player. Sadly he's been blighted by injury and I haven't played much attention to how he's got on last season?

Kristian Pedersen at Birmingham is a good left back.

I really like Barry Douglas as well. I'm not so certain he'd be content at coming in to play second fiddle to Borna. Given the fact he's not in the picture at Leeds at all anymore.

2nd fiddle at Rangers though. We've been playing 60 odd games a season the last few years. Plenty footy for a quality 2nd choice to play before injuries.

Play barisic midweek and Douglas on the weekend. I wouldnt be complaining obout that too much. Might stop our lads getting so knackered!

Would definitely take Douglas, he has a really good left peg on him too. Having him as backup immediately improves our depth ten fold.

Maybe just me, but any time I’ve seen Hickey, he’s looked bang average.

He looks like a school kid playing men’s football.

He lives off that goal against Hibs. A lot of the goals Hearts conceded have came from his side or him not being able to defend properly.

He isn't ready and nowhere near worth 2-3 million.

I kept reading the headline as "Delph at Left back" and thought Im not opening a quite clearly bonkers thread, optictians for me after the lockdown!

If Barry Douglas was over his injury problems and we got a meaty offer for Barisic, I’d have no issue taking the profit have having Douglas as our starting LB, he’s excellent.
I think we need to stay away from players who have not been fit. Its a massive blow when the likes of Barisic in his first season missed the odd month here and there and this year when Helander missed half the season.

Some players just tend to get injured more than others then you get guys like Tav who are made of steel.

He can complement the £6 million worth of talent they have at LB! :p

Between Hayes, Bollingoli and Taylor you have an unprecedented level of shite mate.

Their right back situation is no better.

Barisic can be our number 1 left back if he can find that peak in his form he managed to find during part of this season. I think bringing real competition on for him would do him the world of good.

Yes he did - he wasnt in initial squads and we were trying to sell him. Perhaps fact check before posting.
Watch your attitude bud.
we were trying to sell him because he was the only one who had any value NOT because he was 3rd choice. He also got an injury back end of last year. If he was 3rd choice he would’ve been punted out on loan not Alnwick, we didn’t take a loan for him because there was no point. It was sale or stay.
Perhaps fact check before posting eh.

Watch your attitude bud.
we were trying to sell him because he was the only one who had any value NOT because he was 3rd choice. He also got an injury back end of last year. If he was 3rd choice he would’ve been punted out on loan not Alnwick, we didn’t take a loan for him because there was no point. It was sale or stay.
Perhaps fact check before posting eh.

What would you call a player, who has two people in front of him in team selection for said position?
Third choice. Then Mcgregor gets himself banned for his naive stupidity, Wes comes in - clean sheets and good solid performances - punted to the bench again. I would leave as well. Is Mcgregor a better shot stopper? 100%. If both were fit and healthy, mentally stable and on form, Mcgregor takes the gloves. However when you have an able replacement, a player makes a complete fud of himself, he should be made earn his spot back. Just my opinion.

What would you call a player, who has two people in front of him in team selection for said position?
Third choice. Then Mcgregor gets himself banned for his naive stupidity, Wes comes in - clean sheets and good solid performances - punted to the bench again. I would leave as well. Is Mcgregor a better shot stopper? 100%. If both were fit and healthy, mentally stable and on form, Mcgregor takes the gloves. However when you have an able replacement, a player makes a complete fud of himself, he should be made earn his spot back. Just my opinion.
Cos he didn’t have two people in front of him. He was never 3rd choice.
Alnwick was used pre season and we were trying to get a fee for Wes and we were trying to put Alnwick in the shop window. It really is as simple as that. Wes had already proved himself but we weren’t willing to take a lowballed fee.

McGregor could probably shag Gerrards wife and still be the first choice, he’s the best in the position by a country mile so it wouldhave to be match costing mistakes regularly before he’s out

Now that Halliday and Flanagan are off, we are going to need to bring in at least one left back. This is on the presumption Barisic stays but anything can of course happen.

I’d bring in Barry Douglas to compete with Barisic. The Leeds move hasn’t worked out for him. Injuries haven’t helped however he’s not been a player who’s been injured much over his career. Leeds fans also starting to slightly turn on him as he was a £3m fee and hasn’t lived up to expectations since an incredible season with Wolves.

He would bring genuine quality to the squad and is like for like with Barisic. A definite upgrade to the depth of position. I don’t know anything before anyone asks, it isn’t something I’m aware of.

He’s out of contract in 2021 and I don’t think fee would be too much. It’s also well known he is a Rangers man which also helps.

Makes sense, fee wouldn’t be too much and would bring strength and depth and we’d have two genuine quality left backs. One for me I’d like to see happen.

Any other suggestions?
Yep Barry Douglas for me would be a great signing plus a blue nose.
Whoever we get he has to be someone who can challenge borna not someone like halliday and Flanagan obviously.

I'd like Douglas or Kinglsey. Some who are saying Lowe, I think Derby have high hopes on him and the best we could get is a loan deal. Hickey I would like but as a long-term signing if we got him cheap, loan him out as I think he could develop into a good FB.

Think that's a good shout. Don't think we need to replace Halliday or Flanagan as a right back and midfield option, if we just keep McCrorie, but left back is going to be a requirement.

Personally I couldn’t give a %^*& about Douglas defensively if he’s outstanding or not.

we are rangers , we should be dominating majority of games

play Douglas at Ibrox and borna when we need more steel along with the attacking sense

Between Hayes, Bollingoli and Taylor you have an unprecedented level of shite mate.

Their right back situation is no better.
Don’t want to derail the thread talking about their fullbacks but I’d disagree on their right backs being shite Frimpong is a decent player and will make them a lot of money and the Israeli boy looked good when I watched him but supposedly injured all the time

Wouldn't generally object but we've a torrid time with 30 year old plus players getting an injury and that's them all but done, Dorrans, Murphy. Just asking for Douglas to %^*& his knee at Hamilton.

Mid 20s with his best days ahead and not behind him.

Ideally, we're looking for someone with sound technical ability, tactical understanding, a good engine, accurate crossing/longer range passing, and who can stand up to the physical rigour of the SPFL.

I like Miro Muheim from FC St Gallen (1st) in Switzerland. Swiss u21 international, former Chelsea youth having an excellent breakthrough season. Seems to fit the criteria - tall enough (6'0"), excellent crosser and high potential/sell on value. 4 assists in 21 league apps this season. Entering the final year of his contract this summer and will very likely be wages which are very affordable to us at the minute. Won't be short of offers if he decides against renewing, though.

Hickey would be a sensible one given that he is home grown and has a lot of scope for improvement. It's an interesting one as he definitely won't want to spend a season in the Championship as this could hinder his development but Hearts will likely want a sizeable fee. He certainly has work to do on the physical and defensive side of his game as many on here will have seen when watching Hearts this season.

Max Lowe is another sensible one but would likely cost a fair whack in terms of fee + wages coming from the English Championship. That said I really liked him at Aberdeen and could see him playing for us.

Now that Halliday and Flanagan are off, we are going to need to bring in at least one left back. This is on the presumption Barisic stays but anything can of course happen.

I’d bring in Barry Douglas to compete with Barisic. The Leeds move hasn’t worked out for him. Injuries haven’t helped however he’s not been a player who’s been injured much over his career. Leeds fans also starting to slightly turn on him as he was a £3m fee and hasn’t lived up to expectations since an incredible season with Wolves.

He would bring genuine quality to the squad and is like for like with Barisic. A definite upgrade to the depth of position. I don’t know anything before anyone asks, it isn’t something I’m aware of.

He’s out of contract in 2021 and I don’t think fee would be too much. It’s also well known he is a Rangers man which also helps.

Makes sense, fee wouldn’t be too much and would bring strength and depth and we’d have two genuine quality left backs. One for me I’d like to see happen.

Any other suggestions?
You know my thoughts on this op,Meling either for a reasonable fee this summer or get a loan in until December when his contract runs out at Rosenberg.
I’m a fan of Borna but I’d be looking to sell him and Kamara next year after the euros when we’re likely to get maximum value.
Rotating Borna and Meling would provide a strength in depth of the likes which will get us closer to 55 imo.

McCrorie has become a mix of Stuart McCall, Gary Stevens & Richard Gough since he left on loan apparently!
I like him and for the record thought it was a mistake to let him go out on loan without getting someone similar but better in,however some of the comments would make you think he’s morphed into a clone of Cafu- he has limitations in his game but offers something we missed at times in a combative sense I think.

Truth is we need someone of the ilk like the Braga skipper,a big b.astard who can play - but they are both rare and expensive in equal measure.

Patterson is vastly superior full back to McCrorie imo.

More athletic, not as rash in the tackle and has a far better delivery.

Think that's a bit of hyperbole, it's yet to be determined how Patterson will move to first team level. I hope it turns out to be true, and of course he can be an option too, but I can't imagine him playing European games or Old Firm games any time soon and McCrorie, like Flanagan, could easily do so.

McCrorie has become a mix of Stuart McCall, Gary Stevens & Richard Gough since he left on loan apparently!

Nobody is suggesting he plays over Tavernier, are they? He's more than good enough to take up the spots of Flanagan and Halliday though.

Nobody is suggesting he plays over Tavernier, are they? He's more than good enough to take up the spots of Flanagan and Halliday though.
Is he though?
because he’s not taking their spot. Someone else will cover them as LB cover.
He’s coming back as a 5th choice CB, a 6th choice CM or a 2nd/3rd choice RB

I like him and for the record thought it was a mistake to let him go out on loan without getting someone similar but better in,however some of the comments would make you think he’s morphed into a clone of Cafu- he has limitations in his game but offers something we missed at times in a combative sense I think.

Truth is we need someone of the ilk like the Braga skipper,a big b.astard who can play - but they are both rare and expensive in equal measure.
I’m available if the club can get me a new left knee

Reactions: cav
Would be good if we could get in good quality to back up borna, having flanagan there was awful when teams sat in. Need to get a left footed attacking full back, Douglas might be okay but his injury problems are an issue.

Back