Honeymoon Is Over For The Manger Next Season

We've improved massively under Gerrard and we're heading in the right direction and I've a feeling Gerrard will be with us for a good while yet. The negative posters on here beggar belief at times regarding Gerrard we won at the piggery for the first time in a decade, we beat them at Ibrox after suffering regular hammerings from them, we've qualified for the group stages of Europa league 2 years running andwe embarked on a long unbeaten run in Europe but according to some he doesn't know how to change it and is out his depth.
His style suits European football. It doesn’t suit playing in Scotland. One up front, with three shot-shy, possession focused attacking midfielders behind, works against better teams. It doesn’t work against teams that sit in. If he can’t work out how to break those teams down then he is out of his depth. Walter was up against the same challenges and he worked it out.

The question wasn't over their removal but over their replacement. There was unanimity over the need to have Warburton, Pedro and Murty leave but a clear lack of unanimity, bordering on ignorance, about who should replace them. That doesn't negate that opinion.

The board's managerial record since 2017 has been nothing but farcical: Warburton's messy departure; appointing Mark Allen after we had a manager in place; the appointment of Pedro - the most baffling signing, player or otherwise, in Rangers' history; the appointment of Murty; the unimaginative and expected pursuit of McInnes; McInnes' ultimate rejection; the subsequent extension of Murty's contract; the termination of Murty's contract; and the short-term appointment of Jimmy Nicholl, whose last job was at Cowdenbeath.

Call all of this what you want - naivety, cluelessness, ignorance, inexperience - but it deeply calls into question the quality, rigour and care exacted by the board in their managerial searches and invalidates the idea that there was so many "insufficient candidates of quality" that their only recourse was to appoint a youth team coach. Put simply, I wouldn't trust them in the hunt for a manager.

Again, I really don't think anyone in the team has sufficiently improved under Gerrard's direction, and it's interested that you've limited your examples to the ones I gave, spoken more generally about the team, and referred to Europe, which represents a fraction of our season. I think you'd struggle to find support in the idea that Gerrard has raised the games of Tav, Edmundson, Katic, Goldson, Polster, Flanagan, Davis, Ojo, Kent, Halliday, Aribo, Kamara, Barker, Jones, Arfield, Stewart, Hastie, McPake, and that's before we get onto guys he didn't think were good enough at all. It's been as massive disappointment in that area, and the lack of serious transfer bids for our players, and another abortive season, testifies to that. Surely if these guys were coming on leaps and bounds we'd do better in the league, not collapsing at the same point in January again and getting knocked out of the cup to a team bottom of the league?

Amazing how fans opinion differ. Although i have a different opinion i certainly cant argue your points for being upset.

Good post that, not sure if your wanting him replaced right now or not but well put regardless.

I think he'll do it i really do, hope so not only for us but him also. The job imo was the biggest challenge in football available. Huge demand and no war chest to throw at it.

I genuinely don’t see any way he would survive a third straight title loss, especially when you add in the fact it would be their tenth on the trot.

The hysteria will be off the chart next season, and I just don’t see the support backing any manager in that position regardless of anything else.
Why would it being their tenth have any bearing on Gerrard?
By that logic Gerrard could be 15 points behind at Christmas. Leave, and a new guy come in. Reduce the gap to 1 point but still lose the league.
But because he lost the league that gave celtic 10, he'd have to go?

Sound logic that.

If we won both cups and lost the league by less than 3 points after a LCF type ref performance in the last league Derby, you think he'd deserve the sack?

Amazing how fans opinion differ. Although i have a different opinion i certainly cant argue your points for being upset.

Good post that, not sure if your wanting him replaced right now or not but well put regardless.

I think he'll do it i really do, hope so not only for us but him also. The job imo was the biggest challenge in football available. Huge demand and no war chest to throw at it.

No war chest? He’s spent around £20m has he not?

The question wasn't over their removal but over their replacement. There was unanimity over the need to have Warburton, Pedro and Murty leave but a clear lack of unanimity, bordering on ignorance, about who should replace them. That doesn't negate that opinion.

The board's managerial record since 2017 has been nothing but farcical: Warburton's messy departure; appointing Mark Allen after we had a manager in place; the appointment of Pedro - the most baffling signing, player or otherwise, in Rangers' history; the appointment of Murty; the unimaginative and expected pursuit of McInnes; McInnes' ultimate rejection; the subsequent extension of Murty's contract; the termination of Murty's contract; and the short-term appointment of Jimmy Nicholl, whose last job was at Cowdenbeath.

Call all of this what you want - naivety, cluelessness, ignorance, inexperience - but it deeply calls into question the quality, rigour and care exacted by the board in their managerial searches and invalidates the idea that there was so many "insufficient candidates of quality" that their only recourse was to appoint a youth team coach. Put simply, I wouldn't trust them in the hunt for a manager.

Again, I really don't think anyone in the team has sufficiently improved under Gerrard's direction, and it's interested that you've limited your examples to the ones I gave, spoken more generally about the team, and referred to Europe, which represents a fraction of our season. I think you'd struggle to find support in the idea that Gerrard has raised the games of Tav, Edmundson, Katic, Goldson, Polster, Flanagan, Davis, Ojo, Kent, Halliday, Aribo, Kamara, Barker, Jones, Arfield, Stewart, Hastie, McPake, and that's before we get onto guys he didn't think were good enough at all. It's been as massive disappointment in that area, and the lack of serious transfer bids for our players, and another abortive season, testifies to that. Surely if these guys were coming on leaps and bounds we'd do better in the league, not collapsing at the same point in January again and getting knocked out of the cup to a team bottom of the league?

"I think you'd struggle to find support in the idea that Gerrard has raised the games of Tav, Edmundson, Katic, Goldson, Polster, Flanagan, Davis, Ojo, Kent, Halliday, Aribo, Kamara, Barker, Jones, Arfield, Stewart, Hastie, McPake,"

The success in Europe and against Celtic demonstrate that players have been able to raise their game under the direction of management. Those are matches were we can remain disciplined, retain a shape and everyone has a specific role. To accomplish results against Porto, Braga, Feyenoord etc suggests that's being accomplished. The problem is when the onus is on us to create - and that failure comes down to ability.

Of those names, Tav has improved, Katic is a better player than when he arrived. Kent is playing the best football of his career. Aribo is now an internationalist. Kamara is a better player than at Dundee.

How much had you seen of Polster previously? A few of them are just bit-players fleshing out the squad. McPake? Hastie?

The January collapse was due to complacency, injury, suspension and a loss of form. We don't have the squad to cover when main players are out-of-form. The lack of a squad is a legacy of previous years.

Amazing how fans opinion differ.

It's important to clarify that no one in the support - myself included - wants Gerrard replaced now or at any point in the summer. There's a strange misconception amongst some fans on this thread that people want him gone. I don't think that's the case at all, but what I do think is the case is that fans are adapting their expectations and ambitions in line with the "success" that Gerrard has brought to the club. The failure to build on last season's disappointments in the league and Scottish Cup and improve upon the base line Gerrard set for himself defines this season as terribly underwhelming.

He may well have but he's recouped more than that with the European runs.

Huge fan of the idea that Steven Gerrard has personally raised this money for us.

Regardless of how you look at it, the ‘he didn’t have a war chest’ line is bollocks.

His style suits European football. It doesn’t suit playing in Scotland. One up front, with three shot-shy, possession focused attacking midfielders behind, works against better teams. It doesn’t work against teams that sit in. If he can’t work out how to break those teams down then he is out of his depth. Walter was up against the same challenges and he worked it out.
Europe is where the future of football is heading. TV companies will dictate this. Either we improve on that front or we'll end up in a tournament against the likes of irish and latvian sides.

I know which road I'd rather go down. I'm not going to let the thought of a mentally challenged with 10 on his tshirt derail the club.

Europe is where the future of football is heading. TV companies will dictate this. Either we improve on that front or we'll end up in a tournament against the likes of irish and latvian sides.

I know which road I'd rather go down. I'm not going to let the thought of a mentally challenged with 10 on his tshirt derail the club.
It might well be, but I don’t think we will see proper European leagues in the next 5 years. So how long do we give him?

"I think you'd struggle to find support in the idea that Gerrard has raised the games of Tav, Edmundson, Katic, Goldson, Polster, Flanagan, Davis, Ojo, Kent, Halliday, Aribo, Kamara, Barker, Jones, Arfield, Stewart, Hastie, McPake,"

The success in Europe and against Celtic demonstrate that players have been able to raise their game under the direction of management. Those are matches were we can remain disciplined, retain a shape and everyone has a specific role. To accomplish results against Porto, Braga, Feyenoord suggests that's being accomplished. The problem is when the onus is on us to create - and that failure comes down to ability.

Of those names, Tav has improved, Katic is a better player than when he arrived. Kent is playing the best football of his career. Aribo is now an internationalist. Kamara is a better player than at Dundee.

How much had you seen of Polster previously? A few of them are just bit-players fleshing out the squad. McPake? Hastie?

The January collapse was due to complacency, injury, suspension and a loss of form. We don't have the squad to cover when main players are out-of-form. The lack of a squad is a legacy of previous years.

You've immediately limited examples of their improvement to a solitary game against Celtic and a small sample of games in Europe.

I would deeply call into question how much better a player Tavernier is since Gerrard arrived, and can cite numerous examples of him making the same old mistakes; he remains, I'm afraid, the victim of the boo boys, and will forever be known to one particular block in the Govan Rear as James never-a-captain Tavernier. Katic has probably shown an anticipated amount of improvement but we know Gerrard doesn't really fancy him and seems interested in moving him on. Kent's performances were being lambasted for weeks on here - find the thread from 23rd February - it makes interesting reading. An international call up for two friendlies isn't a sign a player has particularly improved, but I suppose Kamara being a better player at Rangers than he was under the stewardship of Jim McIntyre at a club that was relegated with 21 points is certainly a cause for celebration.

To be fair, I just went onto Wikipedia and rattled out some names. Interesting that he thinks they'd be better served going elsewhere, I suppose.

It's important to clarify that no one in the support - myself included - wants Gerrard replaced now or at any point in the summer. There's a strange misconception amongst some fans on this thread that people want him gone. I don't think that's the case at all, but what I do think is the case is that fans are adapting their expectations and ambitions in line with the "success" that Gerrard has brought to the club. The failure to build on last season's disappointments in the league and Scottish Cup and improve upon the base line Gerrard set for himself defines this season as terribly underwhelming.

It’s not even a misconception, they’ve had this explained to them already. It’s just them lashing out in anger and frustration when people actually analyse the last couple of seasons and they feel like they’re backed into a corner with nowhere to go.

I’ve even got someone calling me a tim. Because obviously if you look at the last couple of seasons and break them down and aren’t happy with a manager with 0 from 9 getting a 4th season you’re a tim right? And clearly by wanting to change something that isn’t working you’re revelling in the negativity and just have a personal vendetta against the coach. Fucking weirdos.

It might well be, but I don’t think we will see proper European leagues in the next 5 years. So how long do we give him?

I don't know, but the sooner people realise this was never going to be an easy fix the better. Jesus christ they sold a crock for more than we've spent.

Why the hell is there a thread on here about what we're going to lose next season? A new season is meant to bring new hope, seems people have thrown in the towel already.

Europe is secondary.

He needs to win a trophy, and it has to be at least the league otherwise we're just floating in mediocrity season after season.

Unacceptable!

Why would it being their tenth have any bearing on Gerrard?
By that logic Gerrard could be 15 points behind at Christmas. Leave, and a new guy come in. Reduce the gap to 1 point but still lose the league.
But because he lost the league that gave celtic 10, he'd have to go?

Sound logic that.

If we won both cups and lost the league by less than 3 points after a LCF type ref performance in the last league Derby, you think he'd deserve the sack?

What are you talking about? You honestly think a Rangers manager if he had failed to win the league with three full seasons in charge leading to them doing ten in a row would survive?

Anyone who doesn’t think them going for ten doesn’t heap more pressure on the whole club next year is delusional. I’m sure the manager is more than aware of what is needed next season, but the jury is out on whether he can deliver.

I don’t think the cups would save him, the majority of the support only care next year about winning the league, anything else is the cherry on top. To put it another way I think they would settle for us winning both cups next year if they were guaranteed the league.

In a normal football environment that wouldn’t happen, but Scottish football is far from normal and next season will only see that hysteria heighten.

What are you talking about? You honestly think a Rangers manager if he had failed to win the league with three full seasons in charge leading to them doing ten in a row would survive?

Anyone who doesn’t think them going for ten doesn’t heap more pressure on the whole club next year is delusional. I’m sure the manager is more than aware of what is needed next season, but the jury is out on whether he can deliver.

I don’t think the cups would save him, the majority of the support only care next year about winning the league, anything else is the cherry on top. To put it another way I think they would settle for us winning both cups next year if they were guaranteed the league.

In a normal football environment that wouldn’t happen, but Scottish football is far from normal and next season will only see that hysteria heighten.

Don’t even waste your time mate.

I don't know, but the sooner people realise this was never going to be an easy fix the better. Jesus christ they sold a crock for more than we've spent.

Why the hell is there a thread on here about what we're going to lose next season? A new season is meant to bring new hope, seems people have thrown in the towel already.
I think the problem is the post January collapse, coupled with the thought that we won’t be able to bring in enough quality to upgrade the first team’s main weak points.

So , I’ve said this before, Rangers want 50 quid off us for away tickets, I’m not sure if that’s true because I’d rather pay 50 quid to watch every other team who are against us die a quick and painful death in court , couldn’t really give 2 fucks about the rest of Scottish football, they sure as %^*& hate any hard working , tax paying , church going , pie buying, superstore dodging ( up until recently) , sorry forgot sell out ticket buying gullible bastards... Time for a charge on this forum , fiver a month on here is nothing to must of us , let they bastards pay for the privilege... hopefully I don’t get a ban ... Wake up Rangers, these fùcking cùnts hate us , and we let them on here peddling their shite .. Fùcking paedo bastards.

Let's be perfectly honest guys he has only survived another shot at glory because of who he is and his standing in the game.
If I had a pound for every time I heard Gerrard doesn't know how to change things or his substitutions were garbage I'd be rich.
He is for me in the last chance saloon and should consider himself lucky. Most managers 2 seasons without silverware would of been long gone.

Win the league and get knocked out the qualifying rounds of Europe, or come 2nd in the league and do amazing in Europe. I'll go for doing the amazing in Europe for now and a while longer, bring the money in. It is not just a team but the business needs finance, and Europe brings that. Then I fully trust and believe we will win the league eventually with SG. I honestly couldn't care about a 10 in a row. If that is all they can achieve without Rangers being there for years, a world-wide coronavirus pandemic contributing to one of their titles, behind Rangers in terms of European football standards, well in the name of the wee man, every day I am so thankful to have been brought up in a Rangers family.
9 in a row, 10 in a row, 11 in a row or whatever they get, you will never hear them say "we are the people" because they know they are not. But we are.
Always one up on them, and they know it. And we will get there with SG

You can’t expect Gerrard - or any other manager we could realistically get - to stop their tainted ten.

Won’t be a popular opinion, not that I care, but with everything against us and their 7/8 years extra European finance and squad development, it’s an impossible job.

Realistically I want to see massive improvements, a cup win and no collapse. I want to see Gerrard drop the safety-first approach, I want to see more than one starting formation - things like that will show me we’re on the up.
Agree that Gerrard is a very cautious manager. Works fantastic in Europe but domestically be a bit more aggressive, get players playing higher up.

Win the league and get knocked out the qualifying rounds of Europe, or come 2nd in the league and do amazing in Europe. I'll go for doing the amazing in Europe for now and a while longer, bring the money in. It is not just a team but the business needs finance, and Europe brings that. Then I fully trust and believe we will win the league eventually with SG. I honestly couldn't care about a 10 in a row. If that is all they can achieve without Rangers being there for years, a world-wide coronavirus pandemic contributing to one of their titles, behind Rangers in terms of European football standards, well in the name of the wee man, every day I am so thankful to have been brought up in a Rangers family.
9 in a row, 10 in a row, 11 in a row or whatever they get, you will never hear them say "we are the people" because they know they are not. But we are.

Imagine being one of you cùnts... perpetually feeling inferior in every moment of your life...

Genuinely one of the worst posts I’ve ever seen on here. The desperation to put Gerrard on a pedestal is truly pathetic.

You’re defending Gerrard by saying it’s better to come second and do well in Europe - sorry, what the %^*& are you talking about?

Honestly beyond belief. A grown man star struck by Steven Gerrard, I’m actually laughing at this.

The depressing thing is that Big Sam would probably have done around about as well as Gerrard domestically. His teams play a way that would almost suit Scotland.

I think he would have done better but it would be far less fun to watch. If I'm being honest it's the sort of appointment I think we would make if Gerard was to leave tomorrow.

What is it we're building towards domestically?

A semi final defeat and final defeat in the League Cup, not even a semi final in the Scottish Cup. League campaigns that have both collapsed by mid February.

I see people say that we're progressing or getting close - how? What is it I'm missing here?

I'm genuinely baffled by it.

Competing against the bheggars and not getting smashed 5-0 is seen as some sort of achievement. People are still stuck in the Caixinha and Warburton days even although it's 2020 and Gerrard is heading into his third season at the helm. That's small club mentality. Standards have slipped, greatly. There are limited expectations within a large number of our support. They will bang on about how we are the best team in Scotland, have the better players, are more than a match for the bheggars yet mention why we've not put up a league fight and won a trophy and they trout out; but we are an improvement on three/four years ago.

We moan about teams raising their game against us then dropping points in the lesser games. That's what we are doing.

In one off games we are a match for the bheggars. Over the course of a season we aren't - still a good bit away. We still regularly cannot beat the dross; Kilmarnock, Aberdeen and Hearts as an example and any time we have an opportunity to apply pressure or open up a lead, we bottle it.

I dont believe i have let my standards slip at all. I think i view it in more realistic terms the magnitude of rebuilding work that was needing done at Rangers. When Gerrard walked in we had a squad that didnt look any better than the one that was promoted. In my eyes, he walked in the door and improved our squad more than his predecessors combined before a ball was kicked. I had my blue specs off when we were promoted and the signings of Niko and Barton gave me no hope whatsoever.

The merchandise money not coming our way, constant legal battles. All of which is draining the club of much needed resource. It was needed more than ever with the amount of money going through the bheggars doors.

This was always going to take a few years to catch back up, could have possibly been more without the good european runs. If you find yourself being laughed at by those manky shits and your blood boiling maybe you should have a look back at the squad we had going into this league and ask yourself why you even bothered to sing about 55.

He might not be the man, he will certainly make more mistakes he is only human. But im 100% behind him all the way. We really need to get this transfer window right. The deadwood needs shipped out and just a couple of perfect signings i believe he will take us.

But i do agree that he cannot afford another massive collapse. Even alot of people backing him will start to turn if we witness anything like the afterbreak performances.

I agree mate . Lockdown has kept him in a job . He’s had two strikes . He won’t get a third

You do realise that our wage bill is circa 60% of CfC.
Whilst that is the case we need to allow SG to build and show progress each season and measure him against improvement season on season.
Apart from Leicester (a season whereupon all the larger teams imploded) how many teams with a much smaller wage bill have come close to challanging in premiership.
SG.

Tend to agree with the OP. However if we keep ripping up the script we in effect start over from a higher base but it is a tough call to do that. The pandemic won’t help us in terms of available cash to sign players but we need to get 3/4 decent quality First team players in to have a real chance we need now quality not quantity we’ve moved on. It’s a really hard one for the club meaningless or not the records will show 9 for the scum for a second time and we don’t want 10.

Is it not a tad hypocritical to berate some for looking to the Warburton/Pedro/Murty eras as comparison to how Gerrard is doing while complaining that he isn't doing the same as Walter/Advocaat/Souness?

Surely those who are arguing that progress has been made are right to do so because they're comparing with the most recent samples?

Even compared to last season progress has been made. After 29 games last year we had dropped points in 12 games (D8 L4). This year we've dropped points in 8 games (D4 L4). We've gone further in Europe, much further than anyone expected. That is progress. It might not be as much as some want, but it's progress.

When people talk about the post-break collapse, and there was undoubtedly a drop in form, they seem to be missing the absolutely scandalous decisions that went against us. The same people will talk about players and tell us that the stats can't just be taken in isolation because they don't tell the whole story. The same logic needs to be applied to the match stats too.

How is it acceptable to excuse that while saying 'well we just need to be better'? Legitimately, we have needed to score 4 to have 2 allowed to stand. We've had so many games turn on wrong decisions, or because our opponents are a protected bunch who don't seem to get sent off, leaving them free to continue fouling (Cosgrove, Power, Dicker, Ferguson, McKenna).

Is it not a tad hypocritical to berate some for looking to the Warburton/Pedro/Murty eras as comparison to how Gerrard is doing while complaining that he isn't doing the same as Walter/Advocaat/Souness?

Surely those who are arguing that progress has been made are right to do so because they're comparing with the most recent samples?

Even compared to last season progress has been made. After 29 games last year we had dropped points in 12 games (D8 L4). This year we've dropped points in 8 games (D4 L4). We've gone further in Europe, much further than anyone expected. That is progress. It might not be as much as some want, but it's progress.

When people talk about the post-break collapse, and there was undoubtedly a drop in form, they seem to be missing the absolutely scandalous decisions that went against us. The same people will talk about players and tell us that the stats can't just be taken in isolation because they don't tell the whole story. The same logic needs to be applied to the match stats too.

How is it acceptable to excuse that while saying 'well we just need to be better'? Legitimately, we have needed to score 4 to have 2 allowed to stand. We've had so many games turn on wrong decisions, or because our opponents are a protected bunch who don't seem to get sent off, leaving them free to continue fouling (Cosgrove, Power, Dicker, Ferguson, McKenna).

Lol ye missed every clogger at hibs as well.

Hey some people love Rangers to levels it makes them stupid mate. Try educate and move away from the lost causes.

The two post-break collapses have very little to do with bad decisions, stop kidding yourself on.

You’re just preparing excuses should it happen for a third year in a row.

I'm a Gerrard fan and totally agree that he has to go if we don't win it next year (TBF, he's going to leave either way). This was always a three-year project and was never going to be an overnight thing given the absolute pits of a setup he inherited. The board has clearly made the title in year three a goal. The European performances and pre-Christmas form buys him one more tilt at that.

I expected a trophy this season and was disappointed in the Scottish Cup. No dressing that up. The League Cup I can write off as an aberration as that final against them was just inimitably demented. The league performance post-Christmas was worrying but who knows how that would have turned out in the end.

The club has been in a really bizarre place in recent times where it's transitioned to not being, like, a basket case. The role Gerrard has played in that cannot be overstated. He has done wonders in terms of improving the facilities and general mentality of the club. The training centre, for all we like to talk about it being a world-class facility, was dilapidated and Ibrox on match day was a joke. He really fought to get them both up to par because he was used to that at Liverpool. Other managers perhaps wouldn't.

We have our pride back after the performances in Europe and players have been improved to the point where we now have many assets. Let's also not forget how much of a PR masterstroke it's been by the board to get him in terms of improving our image down south, where if we're being honest, we had become nobodies again. There's much more of an interest in the club which was something that we really required. Our image was terrible before he arrived.

Regardless, you can't just use trophies as a measure of a success of a Rangers manager over the past few seasons. "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing at Rangers" etc. might have been a nice soundbite 10 years ago, but nah, that sort of privilege is utterly stupid when we're trying to rebuild our club while up against one of the best Celtic teams in recent memory. Now? Maybe it makes a bit more sense, but there's still a huge gap in terms of the wage bill.

Buzzing for next season already. I'm convinced he'll do it.

Whilst that is the case we need to allow SG to build and show progress each season and measure him against improvement season on season.
Apart from Leicester (a season whereupon all the larger teams imploded) how many teams with a much smaller wage bill have come close to challanging in premiership.
SG.
So how long do you give SG.

Are you conviently forgetting having less than half a wage bill than the manks? What about the referees ahem impartiality in Scotland too. Any manager experienced on not would struggle to win trophies with those conditions. We are now in a much better position to challenge, much of that is indeed down to Gerrard.

Whats our wage bill compared to Hamilton? Hearts? Etc??

One things for sure, we need to back him and his team when normal life resumes again.

Recruitment is massive this year, I hope Ross Wilson has a positive impact on that.

SG.
It wasn’t the tims that beat us . It was the bottom six . Hearts only won 4 games , twice against us . Couldn’t best Hamilton or St Johnstone .!!thats where we blew it not the tims

I will never find it not funny when guys who have an opinion on literally everything bristle when they are asked who they'd like to take the job.

"Ats no ma job"

Well guess what, it's not your job to hire and fire managers either.

oh wise one, who should we get to replace him if he doesn't win silverware, and how long do we give his replacement.

How many good managers will want to come if they know they will be sacked if they dont win the league within 3 seasons even though they are building year on year against a background of our biggest rivals working with a 40/50% larger budget

sounds like it was written by a tim

Points per game in league

17/18 : 1.92
18/19 : 2.05
19/20 : 2.31

But no improvement...

18/19 - 9 points behind celtic, no cups.

19/20 - 13 points behind celtic (with a game in hand), no cups.

I don’t think we can realistically expect to topple
Celtic next year under Gerrard or any manager likely to get the job just now, so you can use these stats however you like - but at the end of the day, if the trend continues next season, a lot more fans will be more interested in the stats I posted instead of incremental points per game increases.

It's not worth wasting your breath on folk who refuse to admit he has improved us.

"If it wasn't for Europe..."

Yeah well, tough. It is for Europe whether you like it or not. It's literally stuck near £30m in the club's coffers.

Try square that with the "Ah but if he was Pedro or Murty and not Steven Gerrard..."

These guys shat the bed domestically and would never get near a 3rd round qualifier never mind a group stage

I really don't think anyone in the team has sufficiently improved under Gerrard's direction. I think you'd struggle to find support in the idea that Gerrard has raised the games of Tav, Edmundson, Katic, Goldson, Polster, Flanagan, Davis, Ojo, Kent, Halliday, Aribo, Kamara, Barker, Jones, Arfield, Stewart, Hastie, McPake.

I’ll disagree with Tav, Katic and Kamara, the latter especially, while Aribo’s inclusion is just plain daft and conspicuously there’s no mention of Morelos, Jack or Barisic.

Gerrard deserves criticism and I’ve been giving him some on this thread myself, but let’s not start trying to perform gymnastics to fit the agenda.

I will never find it not funny when guys who have an opinion on literally everything bristle when they are asked who they'd like to take the job.

"Ats no ma job"

Well guess what, it's not your job to hire and fire managers either.

Some of the shouts are worse, TBF. "I want Leonardo Jardim". Right...

Back