Honeymoon Is Over For The Manger Next Season

Competing against the bheggars and not getting smashed 5-0 is seen as some sort of achievement. People are still stuck in the Caixinha and Warburton days even although it's 2020 and Gerrard is heading into his third season at the helm. That's small club mentality. Standards have slipped, greatly. There are limited expectations within a large number of our support. They will bang on about how we are the best team in Scotland, have the better players, are more than a match for the bheggars yet mention why we've not put up a league fight and won a trophy and they trout out; but we are an improvement on three/four years ago.

We moan about teams raising their game against us then dropping points in the lesser games. That's what we are doing.

In one off games we are a match for the bheggars. Over the course of a season we aren't - still a good bit away. We still regularly cannot beat the dross; Kilmarnock, Aberdeen and Hearts as an example and any time we have an opportunity to apply pressure or open up a lead, we bottle it.

Sorry but standards haven't been lowered. We have been to the gutter and back since we last won leagues and cups regularly up against a team that have had a free shot in our absence to rake in millions and build a winning league squad while we have directors bailing us out even to this day so we still have a club to support.

I also don't think you can downplay the results against them as mentally that squad were done for getting turned over time and time again. The win against them in December 2018 was huge they knew they just couldn't turn up and turn us over liked they used to do.

The collapse this season has been disappointing nobody can deny that. For me the winter break came at the wrong time as momentum in football is huge and we lost it. We came back from the break with 3 big players missing and sadly the squad depth isn't there. Individual mistakes and not being ruthless enough is what has killed us since the break Tynecastle a perfect example of that Kent misses 2 sitters and Aribo as well before we go 1-0 up. The collapse from 1-0 was unacceptable but they equalised through Kamara getting caught in possession and if Goldson never slipped they wouldn't have scored anyway.

If we didnt have that collapse and went on a winning run like the scum have done we still wouldn't have won the league this season anyway. They maybe crap but they have been relentless they've had some helping hands along the way with decisions especially after the break but they have improved in their points total they're at least 13 points better off.

We should have won the cup final it was one of those days where nothing went our way it's football it happens.

I don't think we are far away at all and if we can recruit better this summer which I think we will now Allen is away then there is no reason why we can't win the league next season.

18/19 - 9 points behind celtic, no cups.

19/20 - 13 points behind celtic (with a game in hand), no cups.

I don’t think we can realistically expect to topple
Celtic next year under Gerrard or any manager likely to get the job just now, so you can use these stats however you like - but at the end of the day, if the trend continues next season, a lot more fans will be more interested in the stats I posted instead of incremental points per game increases.

So you are saying the Bheast's performance levels vary from year to year ?

Suggests we have to up the number of points we collect every season until we pass them.

Like what we have been doing.

But yet - some say no improvement.

I don't ever remember folk talking about points per games ratios during the 90's or 00's when we were actually in the hunt for trophies or expected to win things.

Poor old Alex McLeish, I remember the abuse he got in 03/04 when he had his whole team sold in the summer after just winning the treble and he was scraping about Southampton reserves looking for players. I don't remember much chat about budgets then and it still goes down as one of our worst seasons in living memory despite it achievement wise being pretty similar to this wonderful progress we're currently making.

There's a real arrogance in the argument that folk who aren't on this Gerrard bandwagon are a lot of dunces that probably walk into walls on a regular basis. There are pertinent questions about his performance so far and no amount of "don't waste your breath they're just idiots" won't make them go away.

To be 0/6 for trophies and regularly struggling against Kilmarnock, Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs yet proclaiming we're the best side in the country - that level of delusion will get you nowhere. Peddled by the same folk btw who are in the lounge laughing their heads off at Corbyn's Labour party claiming they 'won the argument' at the last election.

Very very few managers if any will survive 3 trophy less seasons at the club ,I will offset that though by saying that in the past we went toe to toe by spending cash ,we outspent them the way they are doing to us right now ,whatever anyone says it’s not a level playing field in that respect which tells me that we need some serious war chest material to get us up there ,

So you are saying the Bheast's performance levels vary from year to year ?

Suggests we have to up the number of points we collect every season until we pass them.

Like what we have been doing.

But yet - some say no improvement.

If that’s what we’re doing, that’s fine - but the club need to be VERY clear it’s long term.

The collective fanny fart on here and in the stands if they get the tainted ten will be unmanageable for Gerrard unless expectations are managed.

If that’s what we’re doing, that’s fine - but the club need to be VERY clear it’s long term.

The collective fanny fart on here and in the stands if they get the tainted ten will be unmanageable for Gerrard unless expectations are managed.

Anyone who pays attention to their 8.75 in a row needs a stroll outside.

It will mean absolutely zero when we win the league.

I don't ever remember folk talking about points per games ratios during the 90's or 00's when we were actually in the hunt for trophies or expected to win things.

Poor old Alex McLeish, I remember the abuse he got in 03/04 when he had his whole team sold in the summer after just winning the treble and he was scraping about Southampton reserves looking for players. I don't remember much chat about budgets then and it still goes down as one of our worst seasons in living memory despite it achievement wise being pretty similar to this wonderful progress we're currently making.

There's a real arrogance in the argument that folk who aren't on this Gerrard bandwagon are a lot of dunces that probably walk into walls on a regular basis. There are pertinent questions about his performance so far and no amount of "don't waste your breath they're just idiots" won't make them go away.

To be 0/6 for trophies and regularly struggling against Kilmarnock, Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs yet proclaiming we're the best side in the country - that level of delusion will get you nowhere. Peddled by the same folk btw who are in the lounge laughing their heads off at Corbyn's Labour party claiming they 'won the argument' at the last election.

The truth is somewhere in the middle.

@Bowery Boy makes a fair point about people wanting Gerrard gone with no idea of whose replacing, but by the same token the idea that it’s ‘Gerrard or nothing’ is mind-boggling.

Do I think we've improved year on year - yes without a doubt, have we improved as much as we would have liked - no.

For forthcoming season (whenever it starts) I would like for us to get at least one piece of silverware preferably the League Title, but I don't think it's the end of the world if we only get one of the cups and at the very least make the group stages of Europa again.

A few key in-comings for first team is an absolute must, full back cover, a midfield general type player & one or two attacking forwards (RW & ST).

Consistency is our only downfall (granted it's a big one), as long as the gaffer and his team can instil the need to fight through the tougher times I reckon we'll come good this upcoming season.

It wasn’t the tims that beat us . It was the bottom six . Hearts only won 4 games , twice against us . Couldn’t best Hamilton or St Johnstone .!!thats where we blew it not the tims
Had we only have won a couple of games after the break, then theres no way the league could have been called.
I would have wrote of year one totally due to the mess from pedro and previous.
However, this is the season where he has to do it.
No excuses from refs, hammer throwers etc.
If he doesnt win the league, i would hope he walks.

Anyone who pays attention to their 8.75 in a row needs a stroll outside.

It will mean absolutely zero when we win the league.

Some people are so fixated about their 10 in a row when it literally means nothing. Had we been in the same league for 4 years when they were winning it then aye fair enough. They haven't even won 9 on the pitch they got this years title by a zoom call.

Very very few managers if any will survive 3 trophy less seasons at the club ,I will offset that though by saying that in the past we went toe to toe by spending cash ,we outspent them the way they are doing to us right now ,whatever anyone says it’s not a level playing field in that respect which tells me that we need some serious war chest material to get us up there ,

There's a discussion to be had next season if we fail to win anything domestically. I think that's only right. But a whole host of factors come into play - Are we still improving points wise ? Did we do everything possible for success ? Do we have to admit we came up against a Celtic team that ultimately is deeper, stronger and more equipped for the season and who are starting off at a base level squad wise each season that the Rangers manager(whoever he is) can only dream of ?

Discussion on Gerrard's position is healthy and should be encouraged. Guarantee me a better manager will replace him and I'd sack him tomorrow. However, I don't think it's right he should pay for the past mistakes of the board, previous managers and DoF's. It's not his fault he walked into a mess and had to rebuild virtually from scratch. That's on others. Compare the value of the squad to when he walked in the door 2 years ago. It's night and day stuff.

So in summary - apart from more points in the league, reaching a final (and being cheated) , and progressing further orders of magnitude beyond our dreams in Europe - the Scottish cup defeat to Hearts negates all of that.

"If it wasn't for Europe..."

Yeah well, tough. It is for Europe whether you like it or not. It's literally stuck near £30m in the club's coffers.

Try square that with the "Ah but if he was Pedro or Murty and not Steven Gerrard..."

These guys shat the bed domestically and would never get near a 3rd round qualifier never mind a group stage

''We cin oanly dae well in Europe cos there's nae pressure oan us''.

As if it's ''easy'' to compete with and beat teams of the level we have been playing against :D

Using that logic, you would see underdogs going on mad runs in Europe every season because there's no pressure or expectation on them to do anything.

I will never find it not funny when guys who have an opinion on literally everything bristle when they are asked who they'd like to take the job.

"Ats no ma job"

Well guess what, it's not your job to hire and fire managers either.

Thanks for the clarification, didn't know that wasn't in my remit. Unfortunately it is part of the remit of a board who have continually messed it up. Find the switch into Scottish really strange there. A bit demeaning. Oh, and now someone else is at it.

The truth is somewhere in the middle.

@Bowery Boy makes a fair point about people wanting Gerrard gone with no idea of whose replacing, but by the same token the idea that it’s ‘Gerrard or nothing’ is mind-boggling.
Yeah and I've always been consistent and said if you think we should stick with him fair enough it's not a ridiculous position.

Don't tell me though that the league form and not even a Scottish Cup semi-final is acceptable though because it isn't.

We either care about domestic performance or we don't.

As if it's ''easy'' to compete with and beat teams of the level we have been playing against :D

Using that logic, you would see underdogs going on mad runs in Europe every season because there's no pressure or expectation on them to do anything.
See doing that jokey ned speak?

It doesn't give your point any legitimacy.

This isn't the 90s or 00s anymore. That's probably part of the problem.

Our club was utterly decimated in 2012 and it was then acquired by a bunch of spivs, who we have only gutted the club of fully with Mike Ashley leaving very recently.

Since 2012, Celtic have been able to hoover up all the best talent in Scotland, whilst allowing their squad to learn on the job if you like, in terms of beating all these other Sottish teams every season. They have also had a free run at CL money during this time, and have built their revenue streams whilst ours were ripped to shreds.

Pre 2012, both clubs were on an equal footing financially. Now Celtic have a 60m wage bill to our 30m and can spend more on one player than our full transfer budget is.

But aye, Wee Davie who's sat in the Copeland for 30 year just won't accept how hard it is to topple the Tims. Standards etc.....

Lovely soundbite but has literally no basis in reality.

There’s absolutely no denying that players find it easier to perform in Europe because there’s less expectation.

The captain admitted that.

Thanks for the clarification, didn't know that wasn't in my remit. Unfortunately it is part of the remit of a board who have continually messed it up. Find the switch into Scottish really strange there. A bit demeaning. Oh, and now someone else is at it.
Why?

I’ll disagree with Tav, Katic and Kamara, the latter especially, while Aribo’s inclusion is just plain daft and conspicuously there’s no mention of Morelos, Jack or Barisic.

Gerrard deserves criticism and I’ve been giving him some on this thread myself, but let’s not start trying to perform gymnastics to fit the agenda.

I can't have Tav, I'm afraid. He's still making massive blunders and I'm not sure he's ever going to be good enough. The fact that there are still doubts about him as a player, a right back, and his captaincy four, five years on speaks volumes. Katic is a raw 20-something who's probably shown some improvement, but arguably not enough even for Gerrard, while it'd be hard for Kamara not to get better when his last manager was Jim McIntyre. Aribo? Depends what you're using as a starting point. Consistently putting in better performances than his MotM-performance in the Championship Play off Final? I don't think so. Morelos and Jack were discussed elsewhere.

He certainly needs to call out referees more strongly. We were cheated on numerous occasions last year.

No coincidence that we performed far better in Europe - the dice weren't loaded.
The performances in Europe weren't down to us having more even-handed referees, it was down to the pressure being off because they know there isn't a chance of us winning the competition so it's a bonus. Ryan Kent, Ryan Jack and Taverner are 3 players who have said it publicly. It's a mentality thing.

There’s absolutely no denying that players find it easier to perform in Europe because there’s less expectation.

The captain admitted that.

Easier to perform when you don't have half the stadium shouting and bawling at you if you aren't winning after 20 mins? Of course it would be easier to perform in that environment. It's amazing what ''support'' can actually do for the team.

Well show me all these wee teams who go on brilliant runs in Europe every season. I mean, it's a piece of piss to do it apparently when there's no pressure on you so lets see all these examples.
Yeah but if a fan thinks I'm a bit concerned that Ryan Kent said in an interview they play better with the pressure off in Europe - that's a bit concerning for the domestic games.

Doing a wee jokey ned voice making that point - does that mean that fan shouldn't be worried about that?

A poster commented that it's consistence we need and the mentally challengeds have. But come on, consistency against these donkeys (Aberdeen, Hearts, Kilmarnock etc), shouldn't be difficult. The mentally challengeds can achieve it, so can we. I'm disappointed by Gerrard's failure to suck up the break and press on, 2 years in a row, and his seeming inability to figure out how to combat the most basic form of football of any Euro league. I will back him for this season, but same mistakes this season, then he's away.

Easier to perform when you don't have half the stadium shouting and bawling at you if you aren't winning after 20 mins? Of course it would be easier to perform in that environment. It's amazing what ''support'' can actually do for the team.

So the zero trophies and two collapses are the fans’ fault now?

Gerrard’s going to need to take responsibility for something, surely?

"If it wasn't for Europe..."

Yeah well, tough. It is for Europe whether you like it or not. It's literally stuck near £30m in the club's coffers.

Try square that with the "Ah but if he was Pedro or Murty and not Steven Gerrard..."

These guys shat the bed domestically and would never get near a 3rd round qualifier never mind a group stage

To be fair the club have pretty much reinvested almost every penny made from Europe back into the team to help Gerrard it's now time for him to start delivering some tangible success in the form of trophies.

It's likely by the end of the summer window Gerrard will have been given £25-30m in transfer fee's alone not counting millions more for loans/Bosmans etc. Getting beaten in cup competitions really can't be excused any longer by the likes of Hearts and Aberdeen with that kind of spend.

It's a make or break season for him as I can't see him hanging around just to finish 2nd and trophyless every season going forward even if the board back him to the hilt he'll end up leaving.

No if's or buts about it he needs to win something next season.

Yeah but if a fan thinks I'm a bit concerned that Ryan Kent said in an interview they play better with the pressure off in Europe - that's a bit concerning for the domestic games.

Doing a wee jokey ned voice making that point - does that mean that fan shouldn't be worried about that?

I'm speaking in a non neddy manner now. Let me see all these examples.

How do Aberdeen get pumped out of Europe in the qualifiers every season when there's no pressure on them?

We expecting Motherwell to reach the group stages of the Europa next season as there's no pressure on them?

Following the logic others are using, then it should be a piece of piss for them.

Sometimes when people's opinions are that ludicrous, you need to have a laugh about it.

The European angle is an interesting one. I don’t think it’s just we perform better because the expectation is lower, I think in general under Gerrard we have struggled when teams sit in behind the ball, when in Europe we don’t encounter that often.

That’s the biggest thing we need to work on for me. Too many times have I watched us against Aberdeen for example have little answer for them defending and hitting on the break, whilst we go side to side not opening them up.

The lack of goals and creativity across the midfield and front three outside of Morelos desperately needs addressed if we’re to win anything.

Plus the manager also needs to be more adaptable in these bread and butter games when the opposition just don’t want to play. The games at Tynecastle last season being another case in point.

I think everyone wants him to be a success, but you can recognise progress which their has undoubtedly been, but at the same time recognise where he needs to show further improvement to stay as manager.

Glad you decided to edit that - "Good" didn't make any sense at all. Trying to undermine someone else's argument by equivalencing it with a mocking Glaswegian dialect is just plain snobbish and doesn't really much make sense when the posts on this thread have been, as far as I can see, in English. It's just a pet hate of mine and adds nothing to what's been an articulate thread being used by working class football fans in the west of Scotland except to reveal some kind of superiority.

How do Aberdeen get pumped out of Europe in the qualifiers every season when there's no pressure on them?

We expecting Motherwell to reach the group stages of the Europa next season as there's no pressure on them?

Following the logic others are using, then it should be a piece of piss for them.

Sometimes when people's opinions are that ludicrous, you need to have a laugh about it.

I’d use the word ludicrous for that example you’ve just pulled.

So the zero trophies and two collapses are the fans’ fault now?

Gerrard’s going to need to take responsibility for something, surely?

This seasons collapse had more to do with losing half of our team to injury and suspension at the one time I would have thought. Helander, Tav, Barisic and Defoe. Morelos getting a 4 game ban then coming back unfit. Ryan Jack playing through injuries.

There are mitigating circumstances outwith the team just being a bunch of sh*tebags.

The European angle is an interesting one. I don’t think it’s just we perform better because the expectation is lower, I think in general under Gerrard we have struggled when teams sit in behind the ball, when in Europe we don’t encounter that often.

That’s the biggest thing we need to work on for me. Too many times have I watched us against Aberdeen for example have little answer for them defending and hitting on the break, whilst we go side to side not opening them up.

The lack of goals and creativity across the midfield and front three outside of Morelos desperately needs addressed if we’re to win anything.

Plus the manager also needs to be more adaptable in these bread and butter games when the opposition just don’t want to play. The games at Tynecastle last season being another case in point.

I think everyone wants him to be a success, but you can recognise progress which their has undoubtedly been, but at the same time recognise where he needs to show further improvement to stay as manager.

A very fair thread and I honestly can’t see how anyone could disagree.

Glad you decided to edit that - "Good" didn't make any sense at all. Trying to undermine someone else's argument by equivalencing it with a mocking Glaswegian dialect is just plain snobbish and doesn't really much make sense when the posts on this thread have been, as far as I can see, in English. It's just a pet hate of mine and adds nothing to what's been an articulate thread being used by working class football fans in the west of Scotland except to reveal some kind of superiority.
It's hilarious how seriously you take yourself.

Who would you replace him with?

This seasons collapse had more to do with losing half of our team to injury and suspension at the one time I would have thought. Helander, Tav, Barisic and Defoe. Morelos getting a 4 game ban then coming back unfit. Ryan Jack playing through injuries.

There are mitigating circumstances outwith the team just being a bunch of sh*tebags.

I don’t think they’re shitebags at all - that’s a throwaway line used by spoiled fans who don’t understand the pressures of playing in front of 50,000.

I do think there’s a worrying trend however of Gerrard getting credit for all the good things and everyone but Gerrard getting blamed for the negatives.

I’ve never seen that before with a manager.

It's hilarious how seriously you take yourself.

Who would you replace him with?

Nothing to do with myself - I just hate seeing the way that working class football fans talk being taken the piss out of. It's as if people on here have never been to a game.

Hilariously, I don't want him replaced, so it's an entirely moot question. Try harder.

I will never find it not funny when guys who have an opinion on literally everything bristle when they are asked who they'd like to take the job.

"Ats no ma job"

Well guess what, it's not your job to hire and fire managers either.
Surely people can think he isnt good enough without having a ready made replacement in mind.
I dont think trump is the man to run the US but i dont have an idea of who should replace hime because its not an area im familiar with. Does that mean i shouldn't have an opinion on whether he is the right man for the job or not?

Yes, it is a ludicrous example. The exact same as the notion we have went on two great European runs two seasons in a row just because there's no pressure on us.

Let’s say it’s not pressure then - are we saying that the players he’s brought in aren’t good enough, or that Gerrard’s tactically poor and/or inflexible domestically?

See doing that jokey ned speak?

It doesn't give your point any legitimacy.

In fairness, sarcastic crap like "oh so wonderful progress" comes across as equally insular.

Not only that, but the McLeish take is terrible. Regardless of the fact he lost his best players, there were still plenty of winners with quality in the squad. Klos, Ricksen, Arteta, Lovenkrands, Moore and Arveladze is a bit different to Josh Windass et al. Rangers were in a totally different headspace at that point.

Gerrard had inherited a broken club and squad in every sense of the word. He not only had to rebuild it in terms of quality, but mentality, too. Scratching around for bosmans? O'Neill was in the papers saying we blew Celtic's offer for Emerson out the water. While there was definite downsizing, there should not have been an 18 point difference between us and Celtic.

Trying to draw a correlation between these two seasons makes you look a bit desperate in trying to prove your point, TBH. Shown yourself up a bit there.

I'm not talking to you about Motherwell or Aberdeen and never have.

The concern among many is the admission from players that they play better in Europe because the pressure is off and that's a big concern because it indicates they don't play as well domestically when we are under constant pressure. Nobody is saying Europe is easy.

You're deindividualising anyone that has reservations about Gerrard's reign, you've done it again in your post above taking about 'Stevie who sits in the Copland'. You can look at his reign and have concerns and think we might be drifting a bit here without being a guy that loves a sash bash and struggles to get dressed in the morning.

Surely people can think he isnt good enough without having a ready made replacement in mind.
I dont think trump is the man to run the US but i dont have an idea of who should replace hime because its not an area im familiar with. Does that mean i shouldn't have an opinion on whether he is the right man for the job or not?
Nobody says you shouldn't have an opinion. I'm literally asking for your opinion.

In fairness, sarcastic crap like "oh so wonderful progress" comes across as equally insular.

Not only that, but the McLeish take is terrible. Regardless of the fact he lost his best players, there were still plenty of winners with quality in the squad. Klos, Ricksen, Arteta, Lovenkrands, Moore and Arveladze is a bit different to Josh Windass et al.

Gerrard had inherited a broken club and squad in every sense of the word. He not only had to rebuild it in terms of quality, but mentality, too. Scratching around for bosmans? O'Neill was in the papers saying we blew Celtic's offer for Emerson out the water. While there was definite downsizing, there should not have been an 18 point difference between us and Celtic.

Trying to draw a correlation between these two seasons makes you look a bit desperate in trying to prove your point, TBH. Shown yourself up a bit there.

He’s said about 10 times he doesn’t want him sacked, but you need to be able to question two seasons with collapses at the same time and constant struggles with the same sides.

My main angle is that if the club are happy with a third season based on incremental improvements with no trophies, the majority of fans need to prepare themselves for that.

Regardless of what you or I say, it’s going to be Armageddon if that happens.

Nothing to do with myself - I just hate seeing the way that working class football fans talk being taken the piss out of. It's as if people on here have never been to a game.

Hilariously, I don't want him replaced, so it's an entirely moot question. Try harder.
Working class football fan takes the piss out of working class football fans. Ouch.

You don't want him replaced? So you think he's the right man for the job?

He’s said about 10 times he doesn’t want him sacked, but you need to be able to question two seasons with collapses at the same time and constant struggles with the same sides.

My main angle is that if the club are happy with a third season based on incremental improvements with no trophies, the majority of fans need to prepare themselves for that.

Regardless of what you or I say, it’s going to be Armageddon if that happens.

I don't disagree with that. But rewriting the narrative around season 03/04 to do Gerrard's achievements down is piss poor. It was a really weird point he was trying to make tbh.

Working class football fan takes the piss out of working class football fans. Ouch.

You don't want him replaced? So you think he's the right man for the job?

He deserves a third season, I’ve not seen a single person on here dispute that.

Back