Public consultation on new flats at Ibrox

The area around the stadium needs regenerated badly, I think this is a positive step forward. New houses / flats will increase the chances of Ibrox train station reopening which benefits us all and if the area becomes more desirable it’ll increase the chances of Rangers being able to maximise their commercial capabilities - things like a hotel with close links to the city and airport. Look at the new stadia being built across the world right now - they’re trying to increase their non match day revenue with housing and retail. If we want a successful Rangers we’ll need to do the same

The area around the stadium needs regenerated badly, I think this is a positive step forward. New houses / flats will increase the chances of Ibrox train station reopening which benefits us all and if the area becomes more desirable it’ll increase the chances of Rangers being able to maximise their commercial capabilities - things like a hotel with close links to the city and airport. Look at the new stadia being built across the world right now - they’re trying to increase their non match day revenue with housing and retail. If we want a successful Rangers we’ll need to do the same

It's our land, and used for parking. How would it benefit us to re-generate that ? It gives us a fantastic option for future club related development. You just never know what can happen in football. We can't become too fixated on the short term, unless we're that desperate for the income.

My brother got access to a disabled parking pass for the night of the Hamilton game. The only good thing about that night was the short walk from the west enclosure to the corner of the Albion car park. Without the pass he couldn’t have managed his first game in 9 months.

If you wait till the end of the match, the usual 20 minute walk to the car (soon to be longer with the new radius restriction,) and then sometimes an hour wait to get onto the M8 on mid week night, was halved and we were on the motorway in no time.
We parked slap bang on the corner where the flats are going. Let’s hope this has been thought through properly.

Well , Ibrox seems to be well on its way to being hidden behind various types of housing and limiting our expansion potential while the piggery sits pride of place next to other sporting arenas with its frontage on a main road overlooking an area that’s been completely regenerated .

@mdingwall has posted about this a few times . Safe to say we can forget about the megabrox now

I had a quick look on google maps and there’s a huge big chunk of land available on Clynder Street as circled below. There’s also an extra bit of land being created with the demolition of the building just down from the wee Rangers Club.
Let’s wait and see how it pans out, it’s possible the club have traded one area off for the acquisition of another 2 and with the idea of the old Ibrox Station being reopened. There’s no point in getting our knickers in a twist until we know the full story.

We sh uld be buying everything we can even those retail units longer term the o ly way we will be able to properly have a better stadium is get that land

If you could get all that you have a massive area for club use

Hells bells those flats are fecking shite looking. Why would anyone buy a flat across from any football stadium bearing in mind the chaos on match day.

They must be needing a short term injection of cash. No money to build multi storey car parks etc.

Personally I'd always try and Monetize the assets for the long term and not sell for one off sums as once you've sold it its gone.

A personally think they look pretty smart and modern but at the same time keeping to tradition. I think the main thing that we should all be agreeing on is the fact right now it looks the absolute pitz and needs addressed asap. The area around the stadium looks so run down.

If this gets the go ahead, the mega store is returned and on par with the giants of football, we utilise another area for car parking, build a museum/bar and refurb the area and give it a right good touch up all within the next 5 years then I can only see the positives.

Its about time our stadiun and area around it was brought up to a standard fitting to our great name.

We don't need land to expand Ibrox.
When the money is there we can extend the Broomloan and Copland and fill the corners in. Expensive but probably no dearer than buying all the land behind the Jardine and developing it.
There's enough of a footprint at Edmiston House to build a ticket office, shop and offices.

Sadly the chance of the train station reopening is gone for the near future at least.

Aside of the space, parking issue etc, the more residents we have in the general vicinity, the more reason the council have to turn us down for future ventures.

Turn land into a fanzone? Can't, need to think of the residents.
Rebuild the Edmiston for a new venue? Can't, need to think of the residents.
Expand the capacity of the stadium, even within the existing footprint? Can't, need to think of the residents.

Admin I think this should merge with...

Anyway first thing is first. This thread is full of too many negativity and I smell shite from tramps.

I fully welcome this but have some nagging doubts. We have moaned for years about under development around our prestigious 5 star stadium ( just for the lurkers btw. Hope you all read it and choke on your cocopops).

I think it is fantastic that a lot of thought and consideration has went into the architecture and design with a nod to our red brick facade and the Albion Greyhound Stadium. As a poster has pointed out that Glasgow Live is owned by The Daily Record then I am not expecting a normal article. If they want to show a lets say underwhelming image then that is what I expect from them. Fück the lot of them.

My slight worry is to do with tenants and the council / housing association. As long as we don't end up with an exodus of the great unwashed living there then it should be fine. We know that that mob would have no issue with living on the doorstep of the club they hate and then campaign to complain about this shite and that shite. We only have to look at the intrusion 2 days ago by absolute crackpots.

No surrender.

We shouldn't have a large scale, stadium shaped structure based on our iconic main stand, across the road from Ibrox. That's maybe something you do when a stadium is gone, not still active and cherished by so many. You want to see one, unique outstanding facade of it's kind as you approach the ground, not a carbon copy, also built with red brick. That's not tasteful in the slightest. In fact it's taking the piss.

Admin I think this should merge with...

Anyway first thing is first. This thread is full of too many negativity and I smell shite from tramps.

I fully welcome this but have some nagging doubts. We have moaned for years about under development around our prestigious 5 star stadium ( just for the lurkers btw. Hope you all read it and choke on your cocopops).

I think it is fantastic that a lot of thought and consideration has went into the architecture and design with a nod to our red brick facade and the Albion Greyhound Stadium. As a poster has pointed out that Glasgow Live is owned by The Daily Record then I am not expecting a normal article. If they want to show a lets say underwhelming image then that is what I expect from them. Fück the lot of them.

My slight worry is to do with tenants and the council / housing association. As long as we don't end up with an exodus of the great unwashed living there then it should be fine. We know that that mob would have no issue with living on the doorstep of the club they hate and then campaign to complain about this shite and that shite. We only have to look at the intrusion 2 days ago by absolute crackpots.

No surrender.

You think its a positive we have/are potentially selling one of the few pieces of land we actually own in our stadium footprint?

Looks quite good but a piece of land lost that could have been used for a fanzone and which now will be used as an excuse to void any adjacent land for such use.

I think the key thing here is has the club sold land and not notified us fans/shareholders that it has done so.

Should never be selling this precious asset we need to keep this for future projects whatever they may be.
If we sell this we are waving good buy to any plans we have in the future, as when the flats are occupied, any future developments could be blocked by the tenants as they would have a say in all future developments on there doorstep

Some people need to chill it’s almost as if we immediately jump to the nuclear negative reaction to news ! One day the club are praised for new kit deals and the board are excellent next day there not cos they haven’t informed anyone about a possible land sale.
the whole area around our stadium is a shite hole and needs investment and regeneration likeother have said let’s wait andsee firstly if it’s true and then what the plans are.

It is in need of serious investment.

Residential isnt the way to go for the area immediately surrounding a football ground. By all means redevelop, but have business and leisure facilities that'll fit in with the area. Housing and 50,000+ football crowds don't go together.

I'd say that I'm initially against this - but not crying over it. The Ibrox area of Govan really does need modernising and development, in general I have no issue with new flats/apartments next to the stadium being part of that redevelopment.

But an area that needed addressing in recent years was transport to the stadium - many supporters aren't able to take supporters buses and public transport isn't feasible, so driving is the only way in. I was hoping for an expansion of parking capacity at Ibrox, not less of it.

Regardless, if this is the first stage of wider redevelopment that will transform the area into a clean, modern and impressive space - that does the stadium more favours than it currently enjoys - then I could probably live with that.

You think its a positive we have/are potentially selling one of the few pieces of land we actually own in our stadium footprint?

I would prefer not to but got the feeling our club were getting nowhere with the council and some kind of 'haggling' was needed to get things moving.
It pains me to see they bastards getting preferential treatment and we are the opposite with at first a bitter Labour Council and now a Nazi SNP crowd.

My concern would be that a lot of people travel a distance by car to go to games and not always from places with the option of a supporters bus. Making parking more difficult rather than less doesn't make sense. Anyone using the subway will know how busy it is and isn't ideal for those of a certain age or if they have a disability.

The place is an absolute dive, but that is too close to be giving residential flats.
You’re going to get traffic whether it’s residential or industrial properties mate, if there’s parking made available for the match day traffic I’d welcome the new build

I would prefer not to but got the feeling our club were getting nowhere with the council and some kind of 'haggling' was needed to get things moving.
It pains me to see they bastards getting preferential treatment and we are the opposite with at first a bitter Labour Council and now a Nazi SNP crowd.
Where are we with in the quest to get ownership of the pitch across the road?

I had a quick look on google maps and there’s a huge big chunk of land available on Clynder Street as circled below. There’s also an extra bit of land being created with the demolition of the building just down from the wee Rangers Club.
Let’s wait and see how it pans out, it’s possible the club have traded one area off for the acquisition of another 2 and with the idea of the old Ibrox Station being reopened. There’s no point in getting our knickers in a twist until we know the full story.

I just so happened to ask someone at the club the other day what was happening with any future plans for the train station. Their reply was, "Ibrox train station is outside the Club's direct control but we are aware of fan opinion in these areas."

Bit vague, but probably another way of saying it's a non-starter sadly. Not unless we as a support ramp up the pressure on the club.

What is clear here is people are adverse to change.

I dont think thats clear at all.

The vast majority would rather seen some improvements in and around our stadium as its a tip.

However not to the detriment of our club and not if it means selling one of the few pieces of land we own around our stadium.

If it turns out the club has a plan and reason for selling the land then Im all for it but bears are rightly concerned about this.

Looking at the plan drawing it is not directly across the road so won't be blocking the main stand vista. Where would you have to be standing for it to be blocked? Up by the polis station?
The area badly needs development, this is a start.
If there is other parking options the club are looking at, good!

What is due to happen with the vacant land to the side of the Ibrox Complex?

It is crucial Rangers buy this land and use it for the creation of a museum, ticket office, club hotel or fan zone. Plenty of things that could be done with it.

The difference between the area around Ibrox compared to the area around Parkhead is actually disgusting from Glasgow Celtic Council.

What benefits did they get from the 2014 Commonwealth Games V what we got. Incredible.

The last thing we need around the stadium is gentrification seems to be the message from some.

It shouldn't be a binary option of sell off the area and it is gentrified or don't sell it off and it remains an eyesore.

We could always, y'know invest in improving the area ourselves and make it both look better and have purpose for the club and it's supporters eg. Car Parking, Fan Zone etc.

This isn't leasing out the area and if we don't think it works then we can reclaim it back and do something different. Once they plop flats on it, it's irreversible at that point and with land being at such a premium around Ibrox, I think that is pretty short-sighted.

If there was a strong benefit to it eg. significant money for it - then be open and transparent with us about it. Most level-headed folk would understand.

Parking has been a concern for many years for supporters who travel from outside of glasgow. The news that restrictions might come into play around Ibrox was worrying. Now we are selling the only decent parking area near the ground!?
Of course we might be all jumping the gun here and Rangers have somthing lined up but would like to hear sooner or later if thats the case.

If nything it should be a trade off for purchasing the land all around the stadium unless gtee in stone with these sneaky fcukers they will screw the club over

As a club we have the ability to fill a stadium to 60/70 k if the funds ever became available the problem is that the club would need to retain and purchase land around the stadium.

If we are not careful this will mean that will never happen and we will be stuck while they eventually build on to their stadium.

You can see it a mile away it would basically keep us at a certain level

It is crucial Rangers buy this land and use it for the creation of a museum, ticket office, club hotel or fan zone. Plenty of things that could be done with it.

The difference between the area around Ibrox compared to the area around Parkhead is actually disgusting from Glasgow Celtic Council.

What benefits did they get from the 2014 Commonwealth Games V what we got. Incredible.
The plans are that Edmiston House will be renovated and transformed into a cafe and museum hopefully with a bar for pre match.

Megastore is being renovated eventsully after years of decline.

After that is complete all we need is the fanzone and hopefully stadium expansion in the corners of the Govan Stand.

The clubs Job for fans is to have a decent stadium and winning team on the pitch. Since when did we start demanding answers for developments that go on near the stadium.

Somewhere along the line fans have lost sight what it's all about. Its football for god sake, about successful teams on the pitch. Not planners, developers, architects and whatever else you want to throw in.

As long as they're not selling up the stadium and moving elsewhere, I dont give a toss.

The clubs Job for fans is to have a decent stadium and winning team on the pitch. Since when did we start demanding answers for developments that go on near the stadium.

Somewhere along the line fans have lost sight what it's all about. Its football for god sake, about successful teams on the pitch. Not planners, developers, architects and whatever else you want to throw in.

As long as they're not selling up the stadium and moving elsewhere, I dont give a toss.

Fan matchday experience is important. Is is our ability to get fans to and from games easily. A housing development close to Ibrox does nothing to help with traffic on matchday or facilities for fans. Ideally we'd see the perimeter of Ibrox extended, more of the land around the ground set up for catering and entertainment on matchdays and a better public transport and parking solution for the stadium.

We absolutely should be active in any plans for the area immediately around the stadium.

Back