Honeymoon Is Over For The Manger Next Season

I simply can't believe we're in a position where a guy who hasn't won anything yet as a manager and is two years into his managerial career has been tasked with the job of stopping Celtic win 10 in a row.

It's an absolute shit set of affairs.
Surely we can all agree its about money. If we had it he probably wouldn't have got his chance. Reality is we dont. So we can't chop and change till investment is there. It's a massive catch 22. We can't buy the players we need so we can be thankful it's SG for now. If he stops them, it will be a remarkable achievement and he will be gone. That's the reality.

There absolutely always is with every manager even after one game.

You are a smart guy pies, know your football can you give us the name of a manager that comes in and deals with the tims, gets the euro cash and most all beats the incredible level of corruption ?

When the football returns the only thing we can be sure of is that the refs up here will cheat Rangers. They will be fired up once again.

I am not for a second suggesting there isnt one and he might well be a manager thats not so well known from a smaller league in europe, i get that its a huge job id just be interested to hear where we go next. There must be one or two names people have in mind someone they erm fancy

Million dollar question.

You look at the candidates who would be interested, interview them and appoint the best one.

To be honest mate you weren’t one of the main culprits. And without retreading the some old argument of me explaining why 10 and 13 points gaps and 1 final out of 4 is anything but close, and why serious changes are needed both in the playing squad and the managers use of his players (in my opinion of course), I’ll just say that that still doesn’t really explain why a few here continually imply that some of us want rid of him now, or that we think or have said that he’s some sort of diddy who has barely moved us on.

Again, I respect your own opinion and truly hope you’re right and I’m wrong. I’d love nothing more than to go into a thread a year from now lauding Gerrard whilst eating humble. Anyway, I’m not saying he’ll fail of course, but I do have serious doubts which I’d love him to remove.
Sorry to say, but your logic over the last few pages seems a little flawed to me.
Although maybe I've picked it up wrong.

You are talking about people blindly following Gerrard regardless of how next season pans out and how short sighted this outlook may be.

On a thread where no one seems to be saying he should stay regardless.
On a thread where plenty are saying that there are no circumstance where we don't finish Champions where Gerrard should stay.

More or less bashing an extreme left mentality if you will (Gerrard must stay regardless)l, on a thread where most opinions range from slightly to the left (if he won trophies and narrowly missed out on the league he should be evaluated on his achievements and potentially given another crack at it) to extreme right (If we don't win the league he has to go no matter what)

The football equivalent of teenage lassies and Harry Styles. Seriously, it’s that bad. The irritating part is people are actually looking at the break down of results and comparing the two domestic campaigns and being quite fair in doing so, yet getting accusations of revelling in misery and wanting him to fail, as well as bare faced lies about calling him a diddy and wanting him replaced now? Curiously the same people who do this offer no reasoned retort other than “aye well we’ll just go and get McInnes then shall we” or “aye well who would you go out and get then genius”. Nutters..

Interestingly, not many who want him replaced if we don't win the league will offer up what would be acceptable and merit another year, if we fell a few points short in the league, no matter how many points we finish the season with.
The pro-football equivalent of, well, angry alcoholic Da at his weans Sunday league game where anything less than a win and his son is shit and someone is getting smashed like it's still 1980.

There are far too many variable involved to stated if he doesnt win the league the he has to go

Would the manager deserve to be let go after a season like 07/08 for example?

Sorry to say, but your logic over the last few pages seems a little flawed to me.
Although maybe I've picked it up wrong.

You are talking about people blindly following Gerrard regardless of how next season pans out and how short sighted this outlook may be.

On a thread where no one seems to be saying he should stay regardless.
On a thread where plenty are saying that there are no circumstance where we don't finish Champions where Gerrard should stay.

More or less bashing an extreme left mentality if you will (Gerrard must stay regardless)l, on a thread where most opinions range from slightly to the left (if he won trophies and narrowly missed out on the league he should be evaluated on his achievements and potentially given another crack at it) to extreme right (If we don't win the league he has to go no matter what)

Interestingly, not many who want him replaced if we don't win the league will offer up what would be acceptable and merit another year, if we fell a few points short in the league, no matter how many points we finish the season with.
The pro-football equivalent of, well, angry alcoholic Da at his weans Sunday league game where anything less than a win and his son is shit and someone is getting smashed like it's still 1980.

Sorry can you condense that and tell me in a few sentences what it is exactly about my posts you don’t understand?

But to re-summarise very quickly for you:

a) we’ve got a whole load of posters who give the impression of the manager being bigger than the club and lash out when anyone suggest next season could be his last. This often involves perpetuating bare faced lies about folk wanting him gone now or declaring that he’s made no progress on the previous coach

b) two colossal capitulations in 2 seasons at the exact same point in in the season and out of the Scottish Cup to an even worse side than the previous season, ISNT progress in any, way shape or form.

c) if the same mistakes are repeated next season and we subsequently end the season trophyless and miles adrift for a third consecutive season, then it should be time up.

d) those who seem to get angered by the above and accuse people of revelling in negativity never seem to offer any reasoned counter argument but rather just show anger at the very suggestion domestic progress hasn’t been nearly good enough.

I think that covers most of the main discussion points.

Sorry can you condense that and tell me in a few sentences what it is exactly about my posts you don’t understand?
Do you think A) It is reasonable or unreasonable to say that regardless of ANY other factors, he MUST 100% go, if we do not win the league?

B) Do you personally feel we could end the season without the league trophy and other factors would lead to you wanting him to stay for a 4th year?

But to re-summarise very quickly for you:
Do you think A) It is reasonable or unreasonable to say that regardless of ANY other factors, he MUST 100% go, if we do not win the league?

B) Do you personally feel we could end the season without the league trophy and other factors would lead to you wanting him to stay for a 4th year?
And C) Is it just the folk over the top pro-Gerrard (Gerrard is bigger than the club) that you find unreasonable, or, like me do you find those who blame him for defeat to Maribor and Malmo in 2012 and the subsequent lack of funds, league capitulation and start of the scums current run, equally as messed up?

Of course. But like I said, another 10 or 13 point gap and crumbling at January isn’t negotiable for me personally, if that happens again then it should be curtains for the gaffer. If he wins a cup and loses the league by a couple of points, then depending on how things have played out, it could be extremely harsh to sack him. But say we had a healthy lead and blew it at the end spilling points everywhere, again that changes the circumstances, maybe crumbling again will feel less than acceptable depending on a number of different variables.

But say he does narrowly miss out and a more experienced manager who’s won leagues becomes available, we should absolutely approach him, because remember it’s ultimately about Rangers and silverware, not Gerrard or having big names at the helm.

And C) Is it just the folk over the top pro-Gerrard (Gerrard is bigger than the club) that you find unreasonable, or, like me do you find those who blame him for defeat to Maribor and Malmo in 2012 and the subsequent lack of funds, league capitulation and start of the scums current run, equally as messed up?

I haven’t really seen any of C to be perfectly honest. But since you asked I do find fantasists to be a bit of a pain in the arse.

I dont think he gets a free pass for being who he is at all, i think that is a myth. The split opinion comes from the fact the team has improved that cannot be argued the league standings havent which also cannot be argued. He needs to find the final push to get this squad believing.

Some of us (myself) viewed the job he took as crazy difficult considering our team and finances with also the task at hand and his very limited experience. I just thought personally it was a 2/3 year job just to get level with them and i havent changed that view.

But due to the fact that we dont seem to be closing the points gap it gives people the right to be unhappy. Especially in the way of which this season most noteably fell apart. It was a calamity, no other way of putting it.

I have chosen to put belief he can go the final hurdle this time. I just hope if we got one shakey result early on people dont hit the meltdown button. Because as the thread says, wether u agree or not theres alot of bears unhappy and they will be heard. That kind of pressure early on would signal the end with no way back. By that time, is he the right man or not wont matter.

Didn't read the thread - quotes on this page kinda sum it up for me.

Long and short is that we've seen already that since DK departed and we are now under Douglas Park we are a different animal off the pitch so nothing is set in stone.

If we win a cup or two but not the league and continue to perform well in Europe with big scalps, SG may get another crack at it. If it is trophyless and we don't get out the EL groups, he'll be gone, simple as that.

Life does not end with Steven Gerrard, the same as it did not end with Graeme Souness, Walter Smith, Dick Advocaat or Alex McLeish when they left - we bounced back.

Since 2012 the continuity of success has not been there but the curve has taken us back up to the top and SG is part of that. He will know his career rests on it and maybe the extra pressure from the boardroom to nail these bastards will be enough. With the right signings and more consistency in the second half of the season we can do it.

Is the honeymoon over? Probably. Does that mean he's not the man? No. If he goes are we done for? No.

Do you remember when the news of him having negotiations with us first broke? Before that we’d all sat here talking about the next appointment for months, and pretty much the entire forum unanimously agreed that it had to be someone with experience. Then Gerrard’s name was dropped and all that stuff about experience being the key requirement went right out the window as everyone turned into wee lassies on the Gerrard express.

I think that sort of thing tells you that his stature and name do mean a bit too much to some fans. The way some have spoken about him at times it’s like they believe we’re ever so fortunate to have him at our little club, as opposed to him being fortunate to get to manage this big club as his first gig. Plus there’s the crazy gymnastics folk do to blame anyone but the Gerrard at times; they always say the buck stops with the manager but the gaffer seems to be an exception, so instead it becomes an issue of the players (whom he signed of course) and you even see ludicrous suggestions like getting rid of McAllister. On top of that you had folk attributing any successful signing to Gerrard and any failed signing to Mark Allen without even knowing who was responsible for what deals. I didn’t really see this level of denial or protection for PLG or even Walter when everyone kicked up the “ah time to go walter, it just hasn’t worked out in the second stint” after we lost to the scum in the new year game in 2009; so it sort of suggests that Gerrard probably gets it because he’s a superstar name and people love that aspect of his reign.

The defensive reactions you get to threads like this can be a nightmare too and are also indicative of him getting extra protection for who he is. So instead of anyone actually telling us why we should turn a blind eye to 2 seasons worth of repeated mistakes and 2 huge collapses at the same stage each time, all you generally get is “ahhh you just want him to fail don’t you, you’re revelling in it” and all that absolute drivel. Realistically, he fully deserves another shot, but I’ll bet if we crumble the same way a third time you’ll still have the same folk wanting Gerrard kept on, with everyone else replaced instead. I’ve already had a discussion with one bloke on here who has already confirmed he should get a 4th bite at the cherry should we go trophy-less next season too. Mental.
SG is the man for the job. He gets it. Keep the faith we're heading in the right direction.

Whats our wage bill compared to Hamilton? Hearts? Etc??
Keep hearing this. All clubs lose to teams lower than them. Just so happens that they were on a hell of a run last season and were hardly dropping any points.

As an earlier poster said, our tally of points was an improvement, but it was going to take a hell of a jump in form to get on top of them.

The sooner you accept that no club, yes even rangers are not entitled to trophies them the sooner you can deal with it.

There are some on this thread, not necessarily yourself, who have already begun to get the excuses in early for his failing to do so next season - long term projects, five year contract, remember Alex Ferguson and all that jazz.

Nobody wants to see him leave, everybody wants him to be a success, but there needs to be an acceptance of the harsh reality involved in taking on a job like the manager of Rangers Football Club.

I think a big part of the anxiety is down to how we were when the season ended.

We were in what felt like freefall domestically with Gerrard looking clueless as to how to stop it.

That’s the final memory most of us have still imprinted on the inside of our eyelids and it’s probably going to take a really impressive start to next season to displace it.
And theres a lot on this thread who have thrown in the towel for next season.

Let's face it, if gerrard wins the 2 cups that wont be enough. There will be a clamour for him to go if we dont win the league. This 10 is clouding peoples thinking. The last thing the team need is getting pressured from the first game. Can almost hear the abuse that's going to come just by reading this thread.

Let's face it, if gerrard wins the 2 cups that wont be enough. There will be a clamour for him to go if we dont win the league. This 10 is clouding peoples thinking. The last thing the team need is getting pressured from the first game. Can almost hear the abuse that's going to come just by reading this thread.
I honestly can't see us winning the league next season. Gerrard with no trophies out of 6 and Celtic with 12/12 and trying to win 10* IAR? Honestly, can you see it happening? The odds (and everything else) are against us.

I've had discussions on here before about Gerrard and what an easy ride many have given him domestically .(European football he's been a success)
People can argue black is white all they want but he wins the league next season or he's asked to leave be that mutual or falling on his own sword.Nothing to do with them going for a meaningless 10 IAR but a Rangers manager can't get anymore than 3 tries at it.In fact he's the 1st I can think of in modern times that has been given this much leeway and time to get it right.
It's now time to deliver or we move on to someone else imo.

Said this before about SG, the Pandemic came at the right time for him and took the heat right off. We’d just lost at home to Hamilton, just to put it in context.

He fits the ball as a Rangers manager in so many ways, but the most crucial one-domestic success-just hasn’t happened.

If we aren’t neck and neck with them in the league after Q1 of 20/21 his position is untenable.

Said this before about SG, the Pandemic came at the right time for him and took the heat right off. We’d just lost at home to Hamilton, just to put it in context.

He fits the ball as a Rangers manager in so many ways, but the most crucial one-domestic success-just hasn’t happened.

If we aren’t neck and neck with them in the league after Q1 of 20/21 his position is untenable.
You hit the nail on the head here. He fits the profile hugely but the measuring stick is domestic success and that’s something he’s been unable to do. There’s a chance he could nab a trophy next season but we need to find that winning mentality.

My fear exactly from reading through this thread. It might be a good thing playing in an empty stadium for the sake of the season. It just seems like a few people are one bad game away from spreading a poisinous attitude throughtout the support.

haven’t won anything in last 10 years.

Not long back in the top flight.

We have no divine right to win anything instantly - adding 10-12 points a season is as good as it gets on our budget.
You’re embarrassing yourself comparing us and Sheffield United, and I’m sure you know it or just aren’t that bright.

It’s also not instantly this will be our 5th season back with zero to show but you carry on peddling nonsense about Sheffield United who shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same breath as us let alone compared.

If he wins both cups and closes the gap on Celtic that might be enough to grant him another tilt at the title, but if he wins both cups and we’re still miles behind Celtic then I can understand why many would still see that as the end of the line.

Like it of not there will be enormous pressure on him and the players right from the word go next season and part of the reason for that it because we completely imploded after the new year and he appeared lost for answers as to why that was.

There’s no escaping just how shocking our collapse was and unfortunately it’s the last memories we have of the season.

He and his staff are going to have to work flat out over the summer to erase them.

I never understand why people think criticising the manager doesn't mean you aren't a fan. I mean what bear wouldn't want Steven Gerrard to win the league for Rangers? I don't get it. He's not above criticism, it's the fanbois that need to accept that.

Good luck.

The majority on this thread are sensible - you can actually talk about it, I’m probably even looking at it from a few different angles having read the thread.

But, as per, there’s some grown men having a wee fanny fart as soon as you criticise him and throwing their toys out the pram. You wonder how these people survive having a job alongside other adults.

No more Winter Camps.

Train at the Hummel/Auhenhouwie during the break.
I agree. I don’t see what they’re getting in Dubai that they couldn’t replicate at home. Training-wise. Equally maybe a Florida Cup repeat (if possible) rather than flogging the squad hard with a pre-season equivalent.

I agree. I don’t see what they’re getting in Dubai that they couldn’t replicate at home. Training-wise. Equally maybe a Florida Cup repeat (if possible) rather than flogging the squad hard with a pre-season equivalent.

Better weather, better quality of pitch, no distractions.

I fail to see how slogging around Auchenhowie in the shitty January weather is going to make a difference.

I fail to see how slogging around Auchenhowie in the shitty January weather is going to make a difference.

I agree with you. There’s no feasible way it can be a bad thing.

However, it’s clear that the mentality of our players during the break/in Dubai is all wrong. We’re treating the December OF and subsequent break as the summit, when it should be treated as a stepping stone on the way to the summit.

Whether we like it or not, the mentality and performances of the players post-break backs that up.

Warm weather and a change of scenery which just about every other club in football does. The scum go out to Dubai every year and it hasn't affected them when they come back but Dubai isn't to blame as we trained for every game at Auchenhowie. The work done in Dubai wasn't much different to what the players come back to when they're given a week off during the international break for example. Yes maybe a wee bit more fitness work thrown in but given the schedule we came back to of a game almost every 3 days then fitness levels need to be the best they can.

The break itself is to blame for us as it came at the wrong time as it killed our momentum we had gained especially after beating them. We then come back with 2 key players injured and Alfie suspended and we don't have the squad depth to replace them. For the scum the break came at the right time as it allowed them to regroup which unfortunately for us they did and they went on a winning run even if they did get some help along the way.

Well I so far don’t see what good the last two trips to Dubai have done. Our season has died on its arse in the January/February section two seasons in a row. Something’s wrong. It may be too much training and a lack of games in the break.

Spending a fortune taking the squad to Dubai for warm weather training hasn't worked either to be fair.

I dont know whats happened the last 2 seasons after the winter break but I dont buy into the argument it was purely down to losing momentum.

Maybe staying at home and keeping the players 100% focused is the best way going forward.. by all accounts the players were out on the piss in Dubai more than once on their days off.

Well I so far don’t see what good the last two trips to Dubai have done. Our season has died on its arse in the January/February section two seasons in a row. Something’s wrong. It may be too much training and a lack of games in the break.

We haven't went to Dubai twice though.

We were in Tenerife in January 2019.

It's nothing to do with training camps. It's mentality. We crumbled twice.

It may keep a bit of perspective? Being treated to a training camp in luxury only to see the season die on it's arse suggests that doing something of that magnitude isn't helping but then neither would gullane sands tbf.

The club are chucking money at this type of expense with zero reward in terms of a winning team.

Being handsomely paid, as a host of footballers are, for continual failure is bad enough without a mid season luxury trip into the bargain.

Spending a fortune taking the squad to Dubai for warm weather training hasn't worked either to be fair.

I dont know whats happened the last 2 seasons after the winter break but I dont buy into the argument it was purely down to losing momentum.

Maybe staying at home and keeping the players 100% focused is the best way going forward.. by all accounts the players were out on the piss in Dubai more than once on their days off.

We came back from Dubai on the Monday and prepared for every game after the break after that at the training ground.

The players had 10-11 days off prior to the Dubai trip majority of them went to Dubai beforehand. We were only there for 6 days training and trained twice a day so do you think Gerrard would have allowed more time off to let them go on the piss while they were there?

If he wins both cups and closes the gap on Celtic that might be enough to grant him another tilt at the title, but if he wins both cups and we’re still miles behind Celtic then I can understand why many would still see that as the end of the line.

Like it of not there will be enormous pressure on him and the players right from the word go next season and part of the reason for that it because we completely imploded after the new year and he appeared lost for answers as to why that was.

There’s no escaping just how shocking our collapse was and unfortunately it’s the last memories we have of the season.

He and his staff are going to have to work flat out over the summer to erase them.
Was absolutely sick of reading how 55 was going to destroy them. Not only is 10 going to destroy many on our side, it looks like it's already started.

I dont think people have really acknowledged, just how close we came to being non existent. In 2 seasons the man has helped put us on the football map again, regained our pride in europe, matched celtic in face to face encounters. The difference is, they have a much more powerful squad than us, because they can afford it. This explains why we're losing more against teams below us, not that we've spent more than them.

I wish football wasnt so dependant on money as it is these days, but unfortunately it is and as it stands, we're cant lay a glove on them in that dept. It may need them to run out of steam for us to catch them, much the same as happened to us when we were chasing 10.

I'll tell you this much, if rangers are going to keep chopping and changing every 2 seasons, then there will be more to worry about than 10iar.

It was over for him last season. He has performed excellent in Europe which has kept him in a job. His domestic form after Christmas is sackable. He rightly deserves another crack at because of Europe I think

It was over for him last season. He has performed excellent in Europe which has kept him in a job. His domestic form after Christmas is sackable. He rightly deserves another crack at because of Europe I think

You get a few hundred grand for winning the league cup. You get circa 20m for our European Run.

Which is more important in terms of rebuilding the club and closing the gap with Celtic on and off the park?

[/QUOTE]
My fear exactly from reading through this thread. It might be a good thing playing in an empty stadium for the sake of the season. It just seems like a few people are one bad pass away from spreading a poisinous attitude throughtout the support.

Fixed that for you mate.

A training camp in warm weather has nothing to do with it

Our squad is weak mentally end of story

I hate mentioning them but they went to Dubai also did they not?? Didnt seem to do them any harm...

We haven't went to Dubai twice though.

We were in Tenerife in January 2019.

It's nothing to do with training camps. It's mentality. We crumbled twice.
Ah I forgot that’s where we were. I accept the argument that it’s mentality in the main. If that’s the case we need to recruit better. We need to be signing proven winners, from whichever country.

A training camp in warm weather has nothing to do with it

Our squad is weak mentally end of story

I hate mentioning them but they went to Dubai also did they not?? Didnt seem to do them any harm...

Yes at the same facility as we were based. They've been going to Dubai for the last few years.

We came back from Dubai on the Monday and prepared for every game after the break after that at the training ground.

The players had 10-11 days off prior to the Dubai trip majority of them went to Dubai beforehand. We were only there for 6 days training and trained twice a day so do you think Gerrard would have allowed more time off to let them go on the piss while they were there?

Fair enough the players behaved for the week with Gerrard but the point is they went off on holiday midway through the season prior to the training camp starting.

If we had experiencied winners throughout the squad that we could trust to keep their focus and know they'll turn up second half of the season then yes no problem but this squad are so mentally weak that in my opinion we would best served staying at home and not giving them that option to lose focus.

Btw I dont think our collapse is all down to Dubai or Tenerife but i also dont believe it's much of a benefit to us either.

Can I ask a serious question to those throwing a hissy fit at bears who aren’t satisfied with with the current domestic performance and believe replacement coaching staff should be sought if we crumble and fall again next season?

First off, more or less everyone who has stated that they’re not happy with the current level of domestic performance has clearly acknowledged (in several threads going back months no less!) that Gerrard has made great progress in terms of cleaning the rubble he inherited and progressing us well beyond the lowly and depressing levels of the previous 3 coaches. I myself have also said that the win at the piggery and the Europeans results were proud moments and moments we hadn’t had in a long long time and that Gerrard deserved immense credit for these.

So why, when we state domestic performance isn’t good enough and there’s been little to no domestic progress from last season, do you need to peddle this complete lie that myself and likeminded individuals are calling/or have called Gerrard a diddy whose made no progress? Is it not possible to have the discussion without making shite up?
"Can I ask" in the first paragraph, followed by "So why, when we" in the third paragraph gives you away as an agenda-driven group of like-minded people who pretty clearly want Gerrard gone. Why not just say it straight out?

Back