Public consultation on new flats at Ibrox

Yes it certainly does in its current state because Glasweigan transit investment has been horrible as cars have long been prioritized. Which is why development around Ibrox is crucial as it reduces travel demand.

The long term involves refreshed transit investment, but that isn't possible if residential densities are the level they are. Supporter busses are fine but providing parking for private cars is expensive (land is valuable and parking consumes large amounts of land) , and creates congestion. Eliminating private parking may seem shortsighted but it's quite progressive long term.
All very Jetsons. Will these progressive new flats have parking spaces?

Development reduces travel demand. For who? Not the fans. 50000 need to get to the games regardless of how developed the area around Ibrox is.

I wouldn’t expect to drive around looking for a parking space for 10 minutes, walk 20 minutes across dark paths, through puddles and over motorway ramps, avoiding getting knocked down by frustrated bumper to bumper traffic, in the rain on a freezing Wednesday night in November to go to the Odeon. Only to repeat the same walk on the way back, to wait another half hour to move off on the drive home. That’s the reality of the new parking restrictions on a typical midweek game and we seem to be getting more of those games lately.

We are in the entertainment business. We make the majority of our money from ticket sales. The club need to be careful they don’t give fans another excuse not to leave the hassle behind and watch EVERY game from the comfort of their own couch.

All very Jetsons. Will these progressive new flats have parking spaces?

Development reduces travel demand. For who? Not the fans. 50000 need to get to the games regardless of how developed the area around Ibrox is.

I wouldn’t expect to drive around looking for a parking space for 10 minutes, walk 20 minutes across dark paths, through puddles and over motorway ramps, avoiding getting knocked down by frustrated bumper to bumper traffic, in the rain on a freezing Wednesday night in November to go to the Odeon. Only to repeat the same walk on the way back, to wait another half hour to move off on the drive home. That’s the reality of the new parking restrictions on a typical midweek game and we seem to be getting more of those games lately.

We are in the entertainment business. We make the majority of our money from ticket sales. The club need to be careful they don’t give fans another excuse not to leave the hassle behind and watch EVERY game from the comfort of their own couch.

I work in NA so i'm unfamiliar with Glaswegian parking requirements for residential development but yes probably they will, and if the market dictates that parking spaces are desired, they will be included.

Development reduces travel demand by increasing density which allows for a greater mix of uses in close proximity. Certainly many Rangers fans would purchase units in a building that close to Ibrox.

Everything you described is due to Glasgow's adoption of the American automobile induced urban design! Would you rather do that or walk to your flat down the road or nearby? More parking will never eliminate that journey, it's the reality of using an inefficient mode like a car. Imagine if all 50k people drove down to Ibrox and needed a parking space. Using standard UK parking sizes of 8 ft by 16 ft. Multiply that by 50k and we would need 1 square kilometre just for parking that is only used once every two weeks. What an enormous waste of land and money that would be. Parking is expensive, minimum of 4k per space without even including the externalities of increased congestion and emissions. Parking is not and will never be the answer.

Eliminating parking requirements makes it easier for the average fan to get into and out of Ibrox. Cars are the sole cause of congestion. Glasgow desperately needs to invest more in transit but that isn't feasible if we don't prioritize infill urban development and upzone.

I appreciate what your saying but getting to entertainment by car is the reality the world over. Especially if you don’t start with a blank canvas and invest billions in public transport.

It’s simple. Midweek. Thousands of our fans need to drive straight after work or they can’t go. They need to park somewhere. Preferably somewhere close to where the have paid £500 plus a year minimum to enjoy themselves. Somewhere like a whacking great club owned car park at the corner of the ground.

Whats the bet the Council will insist it's used for Social Housing.
I would imagine that the properties would be a mix of social housing and mid market, any of these developments usually need to have a percentage of social housing before they are given local authority planning consent.

Somewhere like a whacking great club owned car park at the corner of the ground.

That is one way of looking at it. I have bitter experience of trying to get out of on-site car parks at the SECC/Hydro.

Large events need a variety of dispersal methods and routes particularly when those attending come from distance.

The planners/council may block the application as the ground was never residential land, plus various sites available nearby which were previously houses.
If they think Rangers will make a few million on the deal it will be blocked.
I’m talking about people stating that “they” (the council) are trying to “physically” block us in!

It’s been a few years since I used to park in The Albion. Absolute f*cking nightmare to get out of. Quickly sacked it for street parking anywhere I could find it. That’s got more difficult now but, when I get to Ibrox, we always manage something at the Copland Road end. Somewhere.

9 pages so can’t easily get a summary of what’s going on.

Has the land been sold by rangers? Will this development restrict the growth of our plans surrounding the stadium? Do our Board have questions to answer?

Surely this is where club 1872 should be earning their corn.

0_Screen-Shot-2020-05-20-at-185550.png

Aye, but where's Gollum gonnae make his bbc reports from when this happens.?

Its all of that.

Right now there is very little to do around Ibrox. Very basic food vans are an option. If you want a beer then you go to one of the pubs on PRW or you drink elsewhere and travel to the ground late. Once you get to the stadium, you can hang about in the surrounding area with nothing to do or you can go into the stadium with nothing to do but watch the warm up.

Contrast that with somewhere like the Commerzbank arena. Theres a bit perimeter fence around the stadium itself. Plenty of land where they can set up bars and different food options. They make fantastic use of their video screens for pre-match entertainment. They have pitches where they can run exhibitions or youth matches. You can wander around. They have a big club shop plus smaller portakabin outlets that sell a smaller range of the main merch. Fans are given areas for fan group activities. You're encouraged to get along to the ground at least 90 minutes before kick off because there's plenty to do before the game and it can be done in an enjoyable, relaxed atmosphere.

Scottish football doesnt have that. Some have argued for fan zones. I'd go further and model the way we run match days on how the Bundesliga sides do it. Its a better all roundEve
Can you point me towards this cheap land you refer too?

You will know more about land prices in that area than me. How much do you think the land being developed is worth at present?

I'm not in favour of selling the Albion Car park, however the club has committed to major improvements inside and outside the stadium. Upgrading the corporate facilities, revamping the Megastore, Edmiston House re construction. That's got to cost millions, the money has to come from somewhere. In this current climate I can understand the trade off, by selling an asset to improve the stadium and areas close to the stadium.

The heart and hand daily update on this yesterday totally missed the point of peoples anger on this. Listening to it you would have thought Rangers were helpless to this happening and it was a council decision. No mention of it actually being our land which we are obviously choosing to sell and cutting down the already sparse parking we have.

9 pages so can’t easily get a summary of what’s going on.

Has the land been sold by Rangers? Will this development restrict the growth of our plans surrounding the stadium? Do our Board have questions to answer?

Surely this is where club 1872 should be earning their corn.
The club own the land. Likely there is a grand plan which they believe is not sufficiently advanced to share just yet with us shareholders and supporters.

Would we not rather plans were at the appropriate stage before being ‘broadcast’?

Have we not been critical in the past of pipe dreams that blew up in our face?

Are we not better to judge the plan when we know and understand what it is?

I suspect this is one part of a grander plan, which has to inevitably go public due to the planning application process.

Keep the faith and judge the full plan when it can be shared - I think we’ll all be much more positive at that point!!

Same here, my Dad is 75 and has mobility issues (bad knees), we HAVE to park in the Albion. He cannot now walk a mile or two from a supporters bus or from Bellahouston.

If the Albion is sold, even half of it, a man who went to his first game in 1950 may not ever be able to go again.

Could be the proposed reduced parking bays that will remain may be for disabled badge holders only and he may still get to park and get to the games ?

You will know more about land prices in that area than me. How much do you think the land being developed is worth at present?

No idea about land prices but we need to see some meaningful redevelopment of the area around the ground. That redevelopment can't make it harder for folk to get to and from the ground. Parking is a massive issue, as is traffic flow around the area.

imagine if 50k people all tried to park near the stadium. Cars are too inefficient and will never be the solution

I’m all for public transport Over car use if it was affordable but the cost of public transport in this country is by in large a joke. Every year large increases on ticket prices . Until cost comes down then people will continue to use the car and because of inflation that’s unlikely to ever happen . Costs go up they don’t come down

I’m all for public transport Over car use if it was affordable but the cost of public transport in this country is by in large a joke. Every year large increases on ticket prices . Until cost comes down then people will continue to use the car and because of inflation that’s unlikely to ever happen . Costs go up they don’t come down
this is it mate, if the council or the government want everyone to use public transport then they need to reduce the prices

I’m all for public transport Over car use if it was affordable but the cost of public transport in this country is by in large a joke. Every year large increases on ticket prices . Until cost comes down then people will continue to use the car and because of inflation that’s unlikely to ever happen . Costs go up they don’t come down. There’s also the issue of poor transport in Glasgow at night . Buses and trains stop most places around 11 or maybe 12 at the weekend. Anyone that’s been a night out in Glasgow will know there’s no way of getting home except by taxi. Compared to most major city’s in the uk it’s a farce

this is it mate, if the council or the government want everyone to use public transport then they need to reduce the prices

the solutions arn’t easy. Most public transport is in private companies hands. They won’t like being told there’s a limit to how much money they can make and might ditch the contract. So do we make transport public again . Well there’s also issues with that . The long term answer is the more people using transport the cheaper it can be. But that’s a catch 22 because people won’t want to use it unless it’s cheaper

I think the subway is a good enough option. The problem is related to the first half of this - nobody wants to get there any earlier than 3pm due to the lack of things to do in the build up to the game. That means that thousands are still trying to get to Ibrox for 3pm on the dot and it shows. I think if you get the fanzone/matchday experience right then the existing public transport is fine. A train station would be ideal but easing the congestion on the subway is probably a knock on effect of creating a better environment for fans. Would any train station route get you as close as the subway?
They need too get something sorted for familys and kids aswell.

I am pretty sure in Scotland you can apply for planning permission on any land you don't own !

Example. You could apply to build an extension into your neighbors garden nothing they can do about you submitting plans .. they can object of course and it might be problematic getting them to sell you their garden if the don't want to if you got permission.

The club own the land. Likely there is a grand plan which they believe is not sufficiently advanced to share just yet with us shareholders and supporters.

Would we not rather plans were at the appropriate stage before being ‘broadcast’?

Have we not been critical in the past of pipe dreams that blew up in our face?

Are we not better to judge the plan when we know and understand what it is?

I suspect this is one part of a grander plan, which has to inevitably go public due to the planning application process.

Keep the faith and judge the full plan when it can be shared - I think we’ll all be much more positive at that point!!
I’m afraid not and I hoped this kind of mindset was a thing of the past. No Board, present or future, investor or fan, should ever be allowed to make decisions without the fullest scrutiny.

From the outset looking in it appears to be a short-term plan to get some cash in the bank. Can you imagine the uproar and the implications of this was the spivs?

I’m afraid not and I hoped this kind of mindset was a thing of the past. No Board, present or future, investor or fan, should ever be allowed to make decisions without the fullest scrutiny.

From the outset looking in it appears to be a short-term plan to get some cash in the bank. Can you imagine the uproar and the implications of this was the spivs?

The Parks, King et al have earned trust and confidence - the spivs did not.

Which is why removing off street parking in favour of adding residential density is a good thing. We need to live denser if we want to avoid the plagues of car dependency. The math on public transit is quite clear

This will revamp the local area somewhat which is a good thing.

The idea on this thread of a multi storey being built is utter lunacy!
Depends who moves in to the flats. Some species of "humans" can destroy an area. Some make it a habit to destroy communities

the solutions arn’t easy. Most public transport is in private companies hands. They won’t like being told there’s a limit to how much money they can make and might ditch the contract. So do we make transport public again . Well there’s also issues with that . The long term answer is the more people using transport the cheaper it can be. But that’s a catch 22 because people won’t want to use it unless it’s cheaper
i get that they are private firms but are they not subsidised in part by the gov? bringing them into public ownership might be the best idea

Speculative development projects can be market & price sensitive. They often have uncontrolled co-dependencies. Drop one of the multi-million investors an email for more info. Or, better still, ask a mentally challenged. They seem to know everything (and nothing).

Looks like the obsessed are getting ready to work themselves into a frenzy about this aspect of our club business:

They are honestly the most f*cked up bunch of weirdos you’re ever likely to come across.

Imagine being that consumed by something you claim to not care about and doesn’t exist.

The day we finally win this league again, their pain will be a sight to behold. Think I’ll get a deck chair and a wee encouraging banner and sit at the Erskine Bridge

This proposed development is horrific. Apart from it taking up 3/5 of the Albion Car Park, architecturally it is a complete and deliberate noise up. Someone is at it to see what they can get away with.

The Bill Struth Main Stand is designated a Category B Listed Building - Archibald Leitch's masterpiece. A thing of age and real architectural merit crafted out of handmade and polychrome brick. Even those who don't particularly like us as a club would grudgingly agree with that.

So what do we have here, we have a proposed building of cheap modern red brick arches which seems to be have been wilfully placed to clash with our Main Stand. In my opinion it is a deliberately cheap kitsch imitation to detract and architecturally devalue what we already have.

Merchant Homes at the noise up, perhaps. Are these going to be luxury for sale flats no. They are most likely to be sold on / built for the GHA / Wheatley as rented accommodation. Nothing wrong with that in itself.

However, does GHA / Wheatley (Glasgow City Council buddies) have the mindset to spit at Ibrox. You better believe it. If they are getting these built / buying them from Merchant Homes then they will have their hands all over the design.

Unless the club don't get their cash for the land until the Planning Permission is granted, they should object this clusterfuck of building. They should probably have a say in the design in any case.
If we complain about the red brick too much they will probably change it to green and grey cladding.

Will these flats be bought houses, or council . Just that when you look at the regeneration of the area around celtic park the houses are all GHA BASICALLY, AND it looks like its going back to the way it was before they knocked the houses down n build the back n front doors.. you drive by celtic park and lets ve honest even there walkway is tacky..if they build new houses and they are privately owned, hopefully it will also help in the re opening of the Ibrox train station ,thats Been and talked about....
Personally myself, I'd love to see the edminston house bulldozed the area around all levelled off and things put in place there..
Theres only so much we can do around the area at Ibrox ,the school is still in use and the astro pitches will never get sold off. Also look at the space behind the govan stand , its awful
Personally i have no problem with the flats

If it's not sold yet, is there any reasonable scenario in which we are able to stop them doing it?

The charity foundation lease on the complex means we don't have to worry about that for a while, we should be buying any land we can no matter how long we have to save for it

Surely shareholders of the club would have to be informed of any proposal to sell an asset of the club, any shareholders had any notification of this.

Not read the 10 pages but are these flats private? And are Rangers involved?

The windows look very Ibrox stadium like.

Back