Covid providing opportunity for possible British set up?

It can’t happen because uefa don’t allow cross border movement

UEFA and FIFA are not as opposed as they were in the past and there has been talk of a possible Benelux league.

Less than two months ago Doncaster mentioned it and we know who Doncaster bats for.

What might have been impossible a decade or so ago may not be now.

We don’t know how many teams in England and Scotland will survive the virus crisis and it is very obvious financial considerations driven by TV are now paramount in football.

Anyone thinking Scotland or England are giving up their national teams just so a few clubs can make some money are delusional

UEFA are increasingly open to cross border leagues if it’s done in conjunction with them and no attempts to go rogue. They’ve shown support towards a Belgium/Netherlands merger.

I think previously I’d have shut this down as nonsense but we are in unchartered water. If a few major teams go bust down south then the bigger Championship teams could see this as an opportunity to breakaway. If so, they’d get willing partners to jump on board from Scotland in a heart beat.

We’d make this proposal compelling to broadcasters and I’m sure Sky (or whoever) would be very positive towards our presence as a key factor in investing more money.

Lets see how things develop.

I think we will get an invite to play league 1 that level needs Rangers its as dull as some of the bottom 6 relegation scraps/ fixtures we have up here. It will upset a lot of loyal fans or owners of smaller clubs below that but then the same thing happens in the CL. Tv interest and excitement is the most important part.

We should do everything possible to get out of here let the government in London know all about the corruption and how snp and tims have destroyed scottish football.

The sack Gerrard thread is just incredible people obviously still completely deluded thinking another manager just comes in beats Accies and everything is fine..titles ours. We need out its gone too far its an almost impossible job the board have dealing with all the corruption that sfa guy on stv last night is obviously another one thats ready to serve and assist Celtic as much and as often as possible.

No one has ever really explained why it wont happen, just nae chance. If rugby teams play each other in the Magners league or whatever it is called why not Rangers v Ipswich or away to Sunderland or Rotherham ?

Why would anyone on the EPL gravy train want more competition?

fact if we go down south, europe will be gone for a number of season's unless we win the FA cup

I personally want to go down to England........but I know what it would mean

I wouldn’t rule anything out

English League 2 clubs are preparing to have no games until the spring 2021

We should certainly be exploring it imo. Many lower league clubs in England are struggling to survive this. There is talk that lower league football in Scotland might not get going next season either.

United Kingdom is the sovereign nation anyway, we should have had a British League and National Team a long time ago.

neverhap.jpg

That’s because UEFA have a rule that stipulates any team who cannot play within their own country due to safety reasons are allowed to play in another league. There is no rule that says you can move because you fancy a move
Does political & religious prejudice not allow that , because that's what we suffer at this moment in time , a bit like what the nazi's did to the Jewish community in the early 30's minus the killings , media & Government propaganda against everything protestant / unionist making us the bag guys & we are to blame for everything all the bad negativity we get from the press Goebbels would be proud of .

Th

This isnt 25 years ago though when everything was rosey.

If there are countless clubs going to the wall due this pandemic the leagues on both sides of the border will need to seriosuly look at reconstruction.

He who dares Rodney, he who dares

Yes we know that covid may change things,the point I’m making is in response that we should move to England. We can’t just do that, we need the permission of the FAvand SFA ( no laughing) Who then have to take it to UEFA for approval. 1 club and 1 country won’t force any change, change if it’s coming will happen above us with multiple leagues and clubs demanding it. When that happens and cross border leagues happen then the top 20 clubs in Europe will cross border into their own league. If we spend 10 years trying to get to the English premiership then in all likelihood it won’t exist by the time we get there.

Th

This isnt 25 years ago though when everything was rosey.

If there are countless clubs going to the wall due this pandemic the leagues on both sides of the border will need to seriosuly look at reconstruction.

He who dares Rodney, he who dares
He who box’s clever wins

Does political & religious prejudice not allow that , because that's what we suffer at this moment in time , a bit like what the nazi's did to the Jewish community in the early 30's minus the killings , media & Government propaganda against everything protestant / unionist making us the bag guys & we are to blame for everything all the bad negativity we get from the press Goebbels would be proud of .
Well actually I have thought about that, if we continue to have our players attacked it’s an avenue to explore

It's not just us and/or Celtic that needs to get out of Scottish football. Scottish football needs to get out of 'Scottish football'.

Our game is so parochial & full of hate, simply because we are playing in a league where to finish second is failure. Unfortunately we can't just decide to leave, the SFA would never agree to it because the money we generate is too important to the smaller clubs.

Also, outside maybe half a dozen top clubs in England the rest of the English clubs don't want us as it would diminish their chances of being in the top division.

It would take political pressure outwith football to bring any change. I've always felt the unionist politicians missed a trick after the 2014 referendum to try & create a British league. Most politicians have little interest in football, but they underestimate the power & influence it has over so many people's feelings. It can be a useful political tool.

The Scottish league becoming part of a U.K. wide pyramid with the SPFL fitting in at equivalent to League One level could be possible with the right support and would allow the opportunity for all clubs to progress higher. I would even settle for fitting in at tier five National League level.

European football would be harder to achieve and FIFA might abolish the Scottish national team which would displease the nationalists, but that Is no great loss.

With sport currently suspended and clubs facing an uncertain future this would be as good a time as any to push for change.
Have often thought same. I think this would have been an excellent card to play ahead of an Independence Referendum.

It can’t happen because uefa don’t allow cross border movement
Mate I used to think the same, but I now believe we are living in a world where a significant proportion of people do not accept any organisation which says, "You can't do this or that." UEFA and FIFA are busted. Big clubs across Europe despise them. They would happily stab each other to ensure their own survival as the controlling body. Once this pandemic is hopefully over I can see a new reality dawning in football. Self preservation is all. When the dead and severely wounded of the clubs are all lying in the street, the strong will come along, help those that they think can bring something to the party and put a couple of rounds in those that have had their day. We need to be in a position to be at the party, or involved in deciding who gets an invite.

It's still unlikely but the current crisis throws up at least an outside chance that something could happen.

Not in the Premiership but the lower leagues and the Championship are facing a meltdown. Particularly the Championship where clubs are already exceeding wages above income.

TV will ultimately decide, not the blazers.

What benefit do the English teams get for allowing Scottish teams to play in their leagues?

You cant dismiss it out of hand

Its the optimal moment for it to happen

That doesnt mean it is likely

But it has to mean Rangers are thinking / asking

Anyone thinking Scotland or England are giving up their national teams just so a few clubs can make some money are delusional

I don’t see how it would lead to the end of national teams. Probably only two Scottish clubs would ever be involved.

Derry City got permission to play in the League of Ireland, so even before these unprecedented times there was flexibility.

Much will hinge on what the next 12 months brings.

UEFA would love a British league, that way they could insist on a British national team instead of having to accommodate the votes of the 4 home nations.
I'd go for a GB & NI team. Have no time for Scotland with the current mentally challenged infested set up.

The English would never have celtic in a million years because they know the poison they would bring. The GB would cause riots at every away game with their anti-British stuff.

But they might have us. We aren’t perfect but we wouldn’t cause that much of a stir down there.

You never know we might play cetic again. Pumping them out of a European competition. That possibility alone is worth pursuing this with every fibre of our being.

The only way it's likely to happen will be if the top English sides join a European league.
I've been hearing it will for 30 years, I expect to be hearing the same in another 30 years.

Maybe because it might make it a bigger and better gravy train?

Im not sure what away supports are like in the premiership. I’m sure the big clubs always sell out their away allocations. But would clubs like stoke benefit from having another club guaranteed to bring an absolute smeg load of fans?

I would like to see the league cup be turned into a UK wide competition.

Could just put the Scottish Premiership, EPL and Welsh top division in from the start and exclude all the lower leagues.
Don't think the premiership teams would commit to sending out their best eleven ,I like the idea,but it would be as it is now with the likes of Liverpool probably sending out second string teams.

Supply and Demand, its the basics of capitalism. We are just as big as most of their top 7 Our only falter being geography!

Ask Swansea or Cardiff how that's worked out for them, then tell me how it can never happen etc lol

You don't get if you don't ask.

I'd absolutely love to see it

I don’t see how it would lead to the end of national teams. Probably only two Scottish clubs would ever be involved.

Derry City got permission to play in the League of Ireland, so even before these unprecedented times there was flexibility.

Much will hinge on what the next 12 months brings.

There is flexibly within the rule book, Derry moved for securit reasons. Just because you fancy it is n T a reason. Why don’t Ajax aopply to join the EPL?

Aye let's box clever and remain under Peter's Puppets

Have you heard of Bosman? Didn’t like UEFas rules on transfer fees so took them to court. Took him years to win his case and it destroyed his career, others benefited. Let someone else fight this,we can’t afford it

I would love us give the 2 year notice period to the SPFL with our intention to leave.
Would we get offers? who knows.
But this backwater of a country is going down the drain.
The crap begins with an S- SNP and SPFL.
Oh to be rid of them.

Mate I used to think the same, but I now believe we are living in a world where a significant proportion of people do not accept any organisation which says, "You can't do this or that." UEFA and FIFA are busted. Big clubs across Europe despise them. They would happily stab each other to ensure their own survival as the controlling body. Once this pandemic is hopefully over I can see a new reality dawning in football. Self preservation is all. When the dead and severely wounded of the clubs are all lying in the street, the strong will come along, help those that they think can bring something to the party and put a couple of rounds in those that have had their day. We need to be in a position to be at the party, or involved in deciding who gets an invite.

UEFA and FIFA are not busted, most of the big clubs like the protective n that they give them which keeps them big and keeps the likes of us away from the big table. Rangers aren’t strong enough, have the update influence nor the funds to follow them s through. Change will be coming but we it won’t be because of anything we do

There is flexibly within the rule book, Derry moved for securit reasons. Just because you fancy it is n T a reason. Why don’t Ajax aopply to join the EPL?

They’re not in a neighbouring country.

I’m not saying it’s definitely going to happen - just that I don’t agree it’s completely impossible, especially since TV money and the advertising and sponsorship that go along with it drive modern football.

Also, we don’t know as yet how many clubs will be left.

I would love us give the 2 year notice period to the SPFL with our intention to leave.
Would we get offers? who knows.
But this backwater of a country is going down the drain.
The crap begins with an S- SNP and SPFL.
Oh to be rid of them.

You can’t hand in your notice, you have to have the permission of the SFA to move forward with a league move

They’re not in a neighbouring country.

I’m not saying it’s definitely going to happen - just that I don’t agree it’s completely impossible, especially since TV money and the advertising and sponsorship that go along with it drive modern football.

Also, we don’t know as yet how many clubs will be left.
They have every bit as much right to play in England as we have, Porto to La liga

Im not sure what away supports are like in the premiership. I’m sure the big clubs always sell out their away allocations. But would clubs like stoke benefit from having another club guaranteed to bring an absolute smeg load of fans?
We wouldn't be getting any more tickets than what the away teams usually get in their league.

Most clubs usually have enough support to fill most of their ground. I've been to see southend v wolves and there was no big travelling support from Wolverhampton. They had the area for the usual away fans as the rest of the ground was more or less full.

It's a non starter and people thinking all sorts of clubs are going to dissapear are kidding themselves. Most will survive, they may have to cut back, but they'll still be here.

European leagues are going to happen in the future, with the bigger clubs still in their own leagues, but using their resources more in europe and treating there own leagues the way they do with the domestic cups.

Put it this way. Clubs down south would rather finish 4th than win any of the cups. Follow the money, that is now the main prize in football.

We wouldn't be getting any more tickets than what the away teams usually get in their league.

Most clubs usually have enough support to fill most of their ground. I've been to see southend v wolves and there was no big travelling support from Wolverhampton. They had the area for the usual away fans as the rest of the ground was more or less full.

It's a non starter and people thinking all sorts of clubs are going to dissapear are kidding themselves. Most will survive, they may have to cut back, but they'll still be here.

European leagues are going to happen in the future, with the bigger clubs still in their own leagues, but using their resources more in europe and treating there own leagues the way they do with the domestic cups.

Put it this way. Clubs down south would rather finish 4th than win any of the cups. Follow the money, that is now the main prize in football.
So the possibility of british leagues amalgamating is a non starter but the rich clubs from all different countries can get together for a big knees up and thats ok?

Cant have it both ways

So the possibility of british leagues amalgamating is a non starter but the rich clubs from all different countries can get together for a big knees up and thats ok?

Cant have it both ways
That's the way its heading. Teams are more or less playing in a European league as it is, look at the amount of games rangers played just to get to the last 16.

This next tournament that's been spoke about is going along the lines of something that's been discussed with UEFA. 3 leagues of 20 for starters. We better make sure we're in a position to start in the 2nd league.

Yes they are

They are not. They are nation States. Scotland is like Alabama in how it self governs everything but tax and defence or federal matters as part of a larger Federation or State. Tax revenues are paid to the UK, not Scotland.

Uefa is club football remember, and it makes £ as a corporation, puting it under the jurisdiction of EU tax laws. For example, if Amazon wanted to move its HQ to UK, it wouldn't matter which part of the UK as the tax is the same. That same reason is the one that allows a Welsh PL team to move to England.

The only thing stopping it happening is ignorance.
Yes they are

UK is the state, or country. Scotlands a nation state. Roughly similar to a US state within a union which handles its federalised matters.

UEFA operates under EU tax laws. We pay taxes to UK, not Scotland. As do Swansea, and Cardiff too. Like sky would pass off the chance chance
Wit fucking school did you go to? Hahahaha!

One which knew the difference between a state and a nation state.

UEFA and FIFA are not busted, most of the big clubs like the protective n that they give them which keeps them big and keeps the likes of us away from the big table. Rangers aren’t strong enough, have the update influence nor the funds to follow them s through. Change will be coming but we it won’t be because of anything we do
I do think we need to be in a position to react to whatever the fall out is in a UK setting. Still think things will not be the same after all this. Maybe wishful thinking but I don't think we're exactly without any influence outside of Scotland. If it's as you say Castore must be barking up the wrong tree then if they see us as one of the top 3-5 clubs they are wishing to have an association with going forward.

Back