Rangers players can be one in a Row legends if they stop Celtic from winning tenth title, says Kris Boyd

dh1963

All I hear from Simon Donnelly at our weekly game of fives is how he was part of the Celtic team that stopped ten.

My comeback is he was also culpable for Rangers winning nine.

That Wim Jansen team basks in the glory of winning one title after years and years of Ibrox dominance.

They were all on Twitter last week celebrating the anniversary of finally claiming a title after almost a decade of failure.

All these years on and it’s Rangers who now have that same opportunity.

They’ve done nothing to be proud of in recent years, with Ronny Deila, Brendan Rodgers and Neil Lennon having things all their own way.

But all it takes is one season to write your name into the history books.

That’s got to be the motivation for everyone at my old club ahead of next season.

James Tavernier hasn’t won a major honour in his time as Rangers captain and takes enormous criticism for that.

But it’s still possible he could end up being a living legend.

Wee Sid and other Celtic supporters will tell you they’re not worried about that and will be confident of their success continuing whenever football returns.

But if I was still a Rangers player, Celtic wouldn’t scare me.

They’ve been the best team in the country for a while now and you can’t take their success away from them. Even if I’d like to.

But are they miles ahead of Rangers? Not for me they’re not.

Rangers were close to them just a few months ago and had them worried, don’t let anyone tell you differently.

After that Old Firm result in December there were Celtic fans questioning Lennon and the job he was doing. The ones who say differently have short memories.

What Celtic had in the end was a winning mentality to return from the winter break and recover.

And it shone a light on the lack of experience Steven Gerrard had in his changing room.

With a couple of tweaks, I can see Rangers being better prepared next season.

They’ll need to sign some quality, of course they will. Chances are they could also lose Alfredo Morelos to the highest bidder. But his departure could be a good thing if it allows Gerrard to bring in two or three players he wants. It just has to be the right type.

This week Andy Halliday left Rangers and most people wouldn’t have been too surprised by that, but I would have kept him.

With all due respect to Andy, he wouldn’t have been playing every week or been a match winner game after game.

But he’s someone who can play in two or three different positions, which could be vital with squads likely to be trimmed.

He’s also unlikely to have been a huge earner, so it’s not like he would have been costing the club big money.

What Andy brought more than anything, though, was an understanding of what it meant to play for Rangers. He got it.

His commitment was used against him at times because it made him an easy target for Celtic fans.

But I’d have someone like that alongside me any day of the week.

Andy didn’t hide the fact he was living his dream just being a Rangers player and I could identify with that.

My fear is they don’t have enough players with that kind of mentality going into this season, which is going to be historic either way.

Allan McGregor and Steven Davis are still there and they know what it’s all about, but does Gerrard have enough boys with that same mentality?

It’s definitely a question he’ll be asking himself right now as he thinks about which players he should target.

England will be full of guys worrying about their future right now because of coronavirus, so there are a few gems out there.

Maybe there will be some top players who like the idea of playing for a club the size of Rangers in a season when they could go down in history.

Kenny McLean might be one. He’ll be on big money at Norwich City and he’s arguably at the peak of his career. But he’s a big Rangers man and, who knows, could he be tempted to come back up the road if an offer was placed in front of him with his side likely to go down?

Lewis Ferguson has already been mentioned and I can see why.

And there’s another player I would consider, too. Someone I’ve mentioned in this column a few times down the years. He used to play for Aberdeen and managed to get into the Scotland set-up, which I’ve said before surprised me.

That’s right, my old friend Graeme Shinnie.

For all I doubted he was good enough for the international set-up — which I stand by — he knows Scottish football inside out and is someone who gives everything whenever he steps out on to the pitch.

With Halliday gone he’s versatile enough to play in different roles.

I may have given him a hard time down the years, but I still admire his attitude. It’s the kind Rangers will need in the next 12 months if they’re to finally stop Celtic winning title after title.

It’s what they’ll need if I’m going to shut up wee Sid.

Then again, my team usually wins nine times out of ten.

We have to win, there are no other options. We, however, need to stop being " too nice" as a club, and next season we MUST call out Refs and their decision making when we have played in matches we have blatantly been treated unfairly.

We need to get more ruthless and have the same winners mentality as a whole team, our manager had as a Liverpool player.

Winning ten, only means ten to them, as we all know. Unfortunately the record books will show things differently in years to come, that's why we have to stop them next season. Our 55th title is worth more than their 2 9 iar's and they bloody well unknown it.

I just hope Gerrard brings in the necessary players to make it happen, because one things for sure, we'll not do it with the squad we have at present.

His future is in commentary, and given the limited opportunities by the bias within that sphere, he gets my thumbs-up for speaking out on support of us/his team.

It’s the inane drivel that gets me . Who wants to read about middle aged men playing 5 a sides “ banter “ ? Who gives an actual Fck ? How most of the stuff makes it to print is beyond me .

Hes right about McLean would have been a good signing not so sure now cost £££.

But i cant take these just go on dae it articles seriously when they dont mention the corruption in the game and our ex players dont half spend a lot of time talking about timmy pals.

When Simon Donnelly was playing they were protecting peadophiles as they are today. So I'd rather not compare us and them then just like i dont want to compare us and them now.

It's a reasonable article.

10,11,38 in a row now is dead though as no one will ever know how the 9th one in the sequence would've turned out.

Stopped reading at Simon Donnelly. A wee 19th Century Terrorist crank.

regarding next season, please just win it Rangers.
I guess you don’t know Donnelly is the same as the Forrest, McGregor, McLeod, Provan, Dalglish, McGrain, McAdam, Sinclair and more.

The SPFL and their refs are pretty much all mentally challengeds and make no effort to hide it, we won't be given the chance to win the league in this sh*thole.

It’s the inane drivel that gets me . Who wants to read about middle aged men playing 5 a sides “ banter “ ? Who gives an actual Fck ? How most of the stuff makes it to print is beyond me .
Maybe commenting on it and publicising it endorses and encourages it.

Stopped reading at Simon Donnelly. A wee 19th Century Terrorist crank.

regarding next season, please just win it Rangers.
His old man (Tom) was on our books and taught at Grange School in Castlemilk.
Donnelly jnr not a mentally challenged in the true sense, but a wee jump the dyke. (Which of course is worse).

Edit.. just noticed later posts.

Is that so important to you?
Maybe he didn’t say it at all.
Yes it is, it's what I said to them when they stopped our 10. It’s unfortunately always stuck in my mind. It’s a little thing, I know, but it’s one of those things that is stuck there and it brings back bad memories, so I’d rather not see it. He may not have said that, but it’s in the headline.

Why is everyone, outwith the Rangers support, just pretending that this is an actual 9 in a row, like a wonderful achievement. We all know the only reason this has even happened is because of what happened to us, why does everyone just go on about it like it's an actual achievement?

Why is everyone, outwith the Rangers support, just pretending that this is an actual 9 in a row, like a wonderful achievement. We all know the only reason this has even happened is because of what happened to us, why does everyone just go on about it like it's an actual achievement?
Because the media is run and influenced by tims

Until the SPFL is cleansed of Liewell's placemen, we're winning nothing.

It's imperative that the corruption has to be halted or we'll forever be playing in a rigged competition.

I would honestly take Shinnie,he’s a horrible we b*stard and we don’t have enough of them in team and not enough players who are up for battle against the spfl fodder.
That is a very fair point. I don't think we should compromise on quality (and I stand by my post above) BUT mentality will be huge this season.

It's all just wishful thinking until we actually demonstrate our intent by signing players who are better than what we already have - and are not simply just more SPFL standard players.

It won't come down to motivation, simply because the motivation for the Septic players to deliver a tenth league title, will easily be equal to our motivation to stop them.

It will come down to (amongst other things), who works harder, who gels better as a team, who performs better on the day and who has the winning mentailty to believe in themselves and drag their tired bodies over the line. In previous seasons, we've come up short on the latter two. Next season must be different if we are to stop them in their tracks.

We of course want to win the title but should not buy in to their 9/10 narrative.
They have not won a 9th title and that fact shouldn't be lost sight of in terms of next season.

Back