Daily Express - Why was the Scottish Premiership called so early when so many questions still remain?

Still can't get my head around this. And the silence from Rangers isn't helping
it says in the report that two teams didnt vote for this but it doesnt suit the spfl agenda
The SPFL ended the season on Monday with a statement claiming that Premiership clubs had reached a ‘unanimous agreement that the top flight cannot be finished’.

However the unanimous part of that statement is understood to be factually incorrect. At least two clubs were against curtailing the season and saw no reason why a decision needed to be rushed through so soon.

At last a decent article representative of true journalism. Sadly, it's the only one and sadly it's probably come too late. This is the type of article we should've been seeing in many different media outlets over that last 4 or more weeks. Probably more when you consider that within days of the football being stopped the campaign to give them the title had already started.
That’s my initial thought. There’s not a whole lot in that article which couldn’t have been written a fortnight, even a month ago - with a future rather than past tense slant. Saying that, everything in the public domain which questions the SPFL “Operation Boardroom Sweep” and puts a public asterisk on their most tainted title is welcome.

For the clarification of those who are confused.

We prefer that the source is given and if the poster can't cut and paste a wee synopsis is given.

If it is cut and pasted that's up to the user - if the article is on a source of by a journalist you think is worth supporting you give them the hits - on a personal basis for the writer.

Users who lose their shit making up rules and cajoling other users find themselves sinbinned or banned.
that's fine but don't you regularly post the circulation stats of newspapers and comment on them? i agree, lets give good journalists the credit however given that the Daily Record has possibly 1 journalist (scott mcdermott) who isn't a total wank, can we not please have some blanket rule in place for them?

The “finish the Scottish cup at all costs” attitude whilst so hastily ending the country's main tournament pretty much sums up Scottish football and who it is run for.

It absolutely beggars belief that certain idiots at other clubs and within the media still can’t see it for what it is.
Or clubs can see it for what it is but don't want to put their head above the parapet

Within 3 weeks the league season could have been concluded behind closed doors.
You have to ask why the mentally challengeds voted Yes to finish the season surly they would have wanted to win it on merit being 13 points clear?
The whole thing stinks and the mentally challengeds wanted this tainted title as soon as Covid-19 arrived so they were guaranteed it.
Corrupt to the Core.

Within 3 weeks the league season could have been concluded behind closed doors.
You have to ask why the mentally challengeds voted Yes to finish the season surly they would have wanted to win it on merit being 13 points clear?
The whole thing stinks and the mentally challengeds wanted this tainted title as soon as Covid-19 arrived so they were guaranteed it.
Corrupt to the Core.
As I said, the SPFL could even have gone for an agreement from clubs to play only until all promotion/relegation/champion issues were mathematically settled and then stop. But no.

From understanding the daily express are an English based paper - I maybe wrong but I don't recall us as fans having any serious axe to grind with them ?

That was a very good article. Pretty much summed up what we have all been saying, as well as a few other journos willing to put bias and agenda to the side. Essentially asking why the SPFL have acted the way they did throughout the entire process, as it is clear to many that some of their decisions defy any logic, fairness, and reason.

it says in the report that two teams didnt vote for this but it doesnt suit the spfl agenda
The SPFL ended the season on Monday with a statement claiming that Premiership clubs had reached a ‘unanimous agreement that the top flight cannot be finished’.

However the unanimous part of that statement is understood to be factually incorrect. At least two clubs were against curtailing the season and saw no reason why a decision needed to be rushed through so soon.

Fair enough. I would have expected rangers to confirm this though and far more discussion regarding playing games behind closed doors

Always liked that paper
You are, a little, wrong. The unanimous vote they refer to was the FRIDAY vote by top flight clubs to recognise that the season could not be played out by that stage. Nothing more. Obviously in that vote Hearts were not voting to relegate themselves! The vote was meaningless in reality anyway. The Good Friday vote had already given the SPFL Board the authority to call the top flight any old time they liked. They didn't need to refer to, nor take any heed of, the vote by the top flight clubs.

It was the SPFL Board meeting the following MONDAY that gifted the title to the Dhims. We don't know how the vote in that meeting went. If I was guessing, I'd say it went 8-1 in line with most other SPFL Board votes in recent months.
I thought that was what I surmised in about a quarter the words to the post I was responding to. Where did hearts come into it...the poster asked about rangers supporting the tims being handed the title...which we patently didn't.
Thanks for the full blown explanation tho.

There were understandable fears over clubs surviving without the prize money they were due from finishing the season if it needed to be extended into the summer and beyond, and the call to end the season was, at least publicly, aimed at sending out money to those different clubs.

Insinuating that it was a sham.
Just a pity journalists feel unable to put the real reasons in print.

Always liked that paper

I thought that was what I surmised in about a quarter the words to the post I was responding to. Where did hearts come into it...the poster asked about Rangers supporting the tims being handed the title...which we patently didn't.
Thanks for the full blown explanation tho.

You mentioned an 11-1 vote mate. There wasn't one as far as I can gather. Just the 12-0 and, probably, an 8-1.;):)

They got what they wanted and done it quickly before too many precedents were set in other places. However this league would have been declared null and void if it was us. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn’t been paying attention over the last decade.

You only need to look at the way they forced us into a farcical fixture list before a European final. They gleefully torpedoed our chances even in that.

He left out Lawells comments on being awarded the Title on which he said he dedicates the title to ‘everyone who has cared for us’ during coronavirus crisis,also why did he get to close the meeting .

You mentioned an 11-1 vote mate. There wasn't one as far as I can gather. Just the 12-0 and, probably, an 8-1.;):)
Ok...happy to stand corrected on the votes. The 8-1 is quoted by admin so that's fine by me...I was just adding the abstainers to their side. End of the day we're on the same page so it's all good.

That is the first time it has come to light, and is just one journalist. I'm just surprised its taken a week to come out and Rangers have said nothing
I'm firmly with you on this Rangers should have let it publicly known as soon as the vote was finished or before it like the SPFL conduct their business.

End the League season early to guarantee that mob the title and CL money, but continue with the Scottish Cup. Corrupt to the core.
And tell the like of Kelty, Falkirk snd Inverness that we can't have playoffs.

It couldn't be any more blatant.

Was in a zoom call with a mixture of fans last night and the diddy club fans were saying that the chairman of the lower division teams didn’t want to pay wages beyond 30/06 when contracts were up and that is why they were all so keen to fall behind the spfl end season now initiative.

Still doesn’t explain why null and void would be any different for them though. Probably some truth in it and the spfl just used the issue to help rail road their give Celtic the title plan.

Everyone outside of Scotland will be asking the same question. I do find it funny how quickly their celebrations have stopped. They know themselves its hollow hahaha

That article states that the vote to end the season was NOT unaminous.

The SPFL have said it was.

Our club must come out and explain to the fans the true version.

Daily Express article.

Rhetorical headline there.

Everyman and their dug knows why

That article states that the vote to end the season was NOT unaminous.

The SPFL have said it was.

Our club must come out and explain to the fans the true version.

The SPFL directors - ie The Board - voted 8-1. The clubs didn't hold a vote on this as such as it is apparently the Board's constitutional repsonsibilty to make the final decision - something they just happened to forget to tell the clubs first time around in the "helpful" advice they sent to them.

The fact that the Germans have restarted and Denmark are going to follow suit only shines that light of corruption back on the SPFL.

All we need are a few more countries with around the same amount of games or more left in their season to back up the arguement.

Unfortunately , the rest of the corrupt Scottish clubs have sold their souls and turned their back on the truth.

But I hope someone is telling UEFA the truth. I hope that someone is Rangers.

That UEFA gets to know about the missing email, the change of vote, Dundee negotiating with a big hitter, the lies told to UEFA in the letter, lies told to clubs about the prize money / loans, the lie about Gretna defaulting on a loan, the lie about the unanimous vote and all the other lies and deceit.

Do UEFA know the score ? They can't just listen to Lawwell.

"The SPFL ended the season on Monday with a statement claiming that Premiership clubs had reached a ‘unanimous agreement that the top flight cannot be finished’.

However the unanimous part of that statement is understood to be factually incorrect. At least two clubs were against curtailing the season and saw no reason why a decision needed to be rushed through so soon."

Another lie from the SPFL

" Understood to be factually incorrect" by whom? As we, for reasons unknown have said bugger all to contradict it.

Was in a zoom call with a mixture of fans last night and the diddy club fans were saying that the chairman of the lower division teams didn’t want to pay wages beyond 30/06 when contracts were up and that is why they were all so keen to fall behind the spfl end season now initiative.

Still doesn’t explain why null and void would be any different for them though. Probably some truth in it and the spfl just used the issue to help rail road their give Celtic the title plan.

Erm, when contracts expire you no longer need to pay wages.

They voted for it because they were in dire need for cash and two issues were needlessly, but deliberately, linked to achieve the SPFL's desired outcome.

Back