Change of System

Alex Venters

...is a must if we are signing Hagi.

He doesn't fit in the manager's favoured 4-3-3. There's too many luxury players for us to play that system.
Personally I favour a 3-5-2, with Hagi playing around the main striker.

Would prefer him playing off 2 strikers in that system. More of a 3412. With Hagi being the one.

Midfield of 2 wingback, Barisic and Tav, in middle Jack and Aribo (or Arfield) with Iannis just behind the strikers.

You've got to be flexible and have the ability to make changes here and there.

I've no problem with 4-3-3 but there are clearly moments when in needs adjusted, especially when certain players are out and we don't have like for like replacements.

Hagi in a 4-2-3-1.

There are times when we can go with two strikers through the middle.

Options to fluidly change to a strong practiced formation depending on the opposition and the situation is going to be key moving forward. I dont think we'll be caught out again though, and will have some tricks up our sleeve.

His type of player would suit 4-2-3-1, 4-4-1-1, 3-5-1-1 or even a diamond 4-4-2.

As long as it is central and not wide behind the main striker(s), and not asked to do much defensively

If we aren't able to play 4231 to get Hagi in his best position, then we need two better midfielders that can perform in that formation.

His type of player would suit 4-2-3-1, 4-4-1-1, 3-5-1-1 or even a diamond 4-4-2.

As long as it is central and not wide behind the main striker(s), and not asked to do much defensively
Yip, if you sign a player like Hagi you need to play to his strengths as opposed to fitting him into a pre-determined system. He has the ability to make the difference.

I think he has to look into new formations and way of playing - being a slave to the system made us so predictable this year.

Not having a system involving a back three or front two is amateur hour IMO.

Must be one of the very few teams at our own perceived level (last 16 of Europa level) that only has one and a bit ways of playing.

Definitely need to be far more flexible, changing like for like and not early enough has cost us big this season. I’d like to see us have 3 or 4 different formations and keep the other teams guessing. Teams worked out how to stifle us and waited on a mistake from our defenders.

He doesn't fit in the manager's favoured 4-3-3. There's too many luxury players for us to play that system.
Where does Kent play in a 3-5-2?

Not having a system involving a back three or front two is amateur hour IMO.

Must be one of the very few teams at our own perceived level (last 16 of Europa level) that only has one and a bit ways of playing.

This is why I wondered if Gerrard and Beale were and are so wedded to the purists idea of 4-3-3 as espoused by Klopp that they struggle to genuinely put their faith in alternatives.

In short, do they believe that we just need better players to do plan A better?

McGregor
Ed/Katic goldson helander
Tav Jack aribo. Barisic
Hagi striker. Kent
Hagi and Kent are narrow just behind striker

We should be flexible rather than predictable and ot was proven under Warburton that one way of playing was a weakness.

We have better players but we need a formation or formations that will win games and do not be predictable.

For years we have struggled against teams that pack the midfield.

The truth is we have blown the league the last two seasons
Especially the gifted title being right behind the leaders in new year and with a game in hand we should have been ahead at the close down.
Then it would have been interesting if all this calamity vote would have taken place.
Hagi is a good player but not physical enough
Mcgregor still good but we need an Eric Sorenson or Gerry Neef type of back up keeper.
Morelos leaves who do we replace him with a guy from Livi , Kamberi - Defoe used sparingly.
Borna and Katic leave will weaken strength of the pool
Tavernier (sell) was very poor especially if you look at two seasons ago , but believe Paterson could do it.
Bomb-scare Goldson ?Edmundson
Helander good positioning though slow as a boat but should be good enough.
Davis great player in his day but can be only used one out of three games, he saved us a few goals for us for being in the right position at the post during dead ball situations, saved Mcgregor a few times.
Aribo not ready , Arfield trier but too slow now to many fancy flicks onto first Parked bus player.
Kent one decent game out of five not good enough not worth the dough.
Kamara this is a 50K player who show in glimpses he could be better than that ( sell)

Out of the rest Polster could do a job for us, Barker, Stewart, Jones apologies to any other players not mentioned but they should have boarded the Ojo Exit Express.
The boss has to get 11 decent players first then have flexibility in formation

I don't think there's an issue when it comes to fitting in Hagi in our current system, personally.

But I do see why others think that, and I reckon more time is needed to know for certain either way.

The truth is we have blown the league the last two seasons
Especially the gifted title being right behind the leaders in new year and with a game in hand we should have been ahead at the close down.
Then it would have been interesting if all this calamity vote would have taken place.
Hagi is a good player but not physical enough
Mcgregor still good but we need an Eric Sorenson or Gerry Neef type of back up keeper.
Morelos leaves who do we replace him with a guy from Livi , Kamberi - Defoe used sparingly.
Borna and Katic leave will weaken strength of the pool
Tavernier (sell) was very poor especially if you look at two seasons ago , but believe Paterson could do it.
Bomb-scare Goldson ?Edmundson
Helander good positioning though slow as a boat but should be good enough.
Davis great player in his day but can be only used one out of three games, he saved us a few goals for us for being in the right position at the post during dead ball situations, saved Mcgregor a few times.
Aribo not ready , Arfield trier but too slow now to many fancy flicks onto first Parked bus player.
Kent one decent game out of five not good enough not worth the dough.
Kamara this is a 50K player who show in glimpses he could be better than that ( sell)

Out of the rest Polster could do a job for us, Barker, Stewart, Jones apologies to any other players not mentioned but they should have boarded the Ojo Exit Express.
The boss has to get 11 decent players first then have flexibility in formation

After reading that I'm amazed we didn't finish last!

Two holding midfielders at home is horrendous, the only time we should be playing that is in Europe however we must be able to adapt to different formations efficiently. If we’ve spent a decent part of our budget on Hagi then we must be able to adapt to get the best from him, he will score goals and open defences given the right formation and role and we’ve not had that for a long time.
Too many times we lose the midfield battle and that’s not acceptable or title winning football, Gerrard must see this and get it sorted. Two top quality ex international midfielders coaching the team and we still surrender midfield too often.

41311 formation most our games when we are against 10 men behind ball.
Greegs
New r.b Goldson Helander Borna

Jack

new r.m New c.m Kent

Hagi

New striker

That would be my formation against most and then against scum etc bring someone back along side jack or whoever that may be.
I would like new c.b a proper dominant one but I know that won’t happen.
Who ever we sign this summer had to be genuine quality in mould of jelavic,Mendes or whatever and if we were to add 3/4 players like that that would make all the difference in our title challenge.

After reading that I'm amazed we didn't finish last!
Hamilton beating us was a last place performance.
The most frustrating part of our play is crosses into the box its food and drink to the parked bus hammer throwing defenders who just clear it up to halfway line then we just
repeat the process over and over again.

That could work, or 4-2-3-1 in certain games.

I’d have

Kent-Hagi-Aribo

——Morelos——

Three can interchange as they wish. They need 10 league goals each though.

Away from home, you drop one back for a Kamara/Davis.

Jack - New Signing

We've talked about what we've been missing for the last 2 years. He fits the bill perfectly. Playing the role to unlock those stubborn defences or picking the right pass. Plus he's keen to get on the ball, drive and shoot when needed. The lads from top stock and you can see that in how he plays. Fingers crossed we will fit a system around him allowing not only him but the team to flourish.

There is no reason that we couldn't play most games at Ibrox with two centre halves, Tav and Barasic pushed up, Davis in midfield collecting the ball from centre halves with Jack, Kent, Aribo, Hagi, Morelos all ahead of him.

A lot of people are sleeping on Aribo I feel. If he kicks on he could be a huge player for us next season.
I reckon you are correct. The boy has all the skills required. Maybe just needs to add more in final third and then he’ll be a great player.

Back