Scotland v USSR 1982 World Cup - BBC Scotland (7.15pm)

Commentator curse. "Miller, who hasn't put a foot wrong the whole game". 5 mins later, Hansen and him have their wee moment of madness.

Why no Dalglish and mcGrain?
Maybe he was injured but Dalgleish brilliant player that he was I always thought it was with Celtic and Liverpool. Sure they will always show the classic goals he scored for Scotland but he had a right few stinker performances with Scotland especially when we qualified for the world cup finals.

I was there.
Went with a guy I worked with. Two weeks in Torremelinas and a day trip to Seville.
To be honest I'd sort of lost interest in the national side after Argentina but it was a damn fine holiday.

Maybe he was injured but Dalgleish brilliant player that he was I always thought it was with Celtic and Liverpool. Sure they will always show the classic goals he scored for Scotland but he had a right few stinker performances with Scotland especially when we qualified for the world cup finals.

Agreed. Three World Cups and he never really turned up in any of them.

For a guy who’s generally believed to be our greatest ever player, that’s just not acceptable.

Agreed. Three World Cups and he never really turned up in any of them.

For a guy who’s generally believed to be our greatest ever player, that’s just not acceptable.
It's weird because if you were to say you didnt think he was a world class player people look at you as if you have horns on your head, and you are only saying that because he played for Celtic, but the clips of him for Liverpool and Celtic show that he was, but like you say how many other world class players played in 3 finals and never really kicked a ball, I cant think of any.

Always thought it was Hansens fault and watching it again I haven't changed my mind Miller was about to put it into row z. What Hansen was thinking about we will never know?

Always thought it was Hansens fault and watching it again I haven't changed my mind Miller was about to put it into row z. What Hansen was thinking about we will never know?

Definitely Hansen's fault.

He was playing midfield by that point which contributed to the calamity.

Had either of them passed comment in the intervening years and claimed responsibility or assigned responsibility to the other?

I was there.
Went with a guy I worked with. Two weeks in Torremelinas and a day trip to Seville.
To be honest I'd sort of lost interest in the national side after Argentina but it was a damn fine holiday.
I had six weeks in
Benalmadena.
I had a flat there at the time and went over by myself for a week, my mate came over for two weeks and then my then partner came for three weeks with the kids.

If ever a game typified the national team's tendency towards 'glorious failure', it's that game.

Horrendous to compare that side to today's though. What the hell have we let happen over the years?

If ever a game typified the national team's tendency towards 'glorious failure', it's that game.

Horrendous to compare that side to today's though. What the hell have we let happen over the years?
We took our eye off the ball as the custodian of Scotland and her values and let the Tims in.
Politics, Law, Sport et al. The best for all changed to the best for them.
Our country is fucked up as a result.

Looking back I am amazed Rough was our No1 at 78 & 82. Harvey was a smashing keeper in 74 but had a car accident a couple of years later that affected him.
Look at the Scotland teams in 78 & 82, littered with guys who had or would go on to play in/win European Finals.
Except for the goalie.
If memory serves Rough was part-time at Partick Thistle in 78, absolutely mental that he was the best of the bunch.

How long have you got? In short Scottish football is now only run by and for the benefit of idiots and the same can be said for the country as a whole. The people in high places don’t care. And to be honest neither do I anymore. It’s sad to say this but my national team means nothing to me now just a continual source of embarrassment, especially the bell end nats I unfortunately get associated with.

Looking back I am amazed Rough was our No1 at 78 & 82. Harvey was a smashing keeper in 74 but had a car accident a couple of years later that affected him.
Look at the Scotland teams in 78 & 82, littered with guys who had or would go on to play in/win European Finals.
Except for the goalie.
If memory serves Rough was part-time at Partick Thistle in 78, absolutely mental that he was the best of the bunch.
I’m sure he was still at Thistle in 1982. It could be argued that he was the best of a bad bunch in 78 but by 82 he should not have been first choice.
Leighton was established at the sheep by that time and George Wood had played for Everton , was now at Arsenal, and was keeping the great Pat Jennings out of the team at the time.
Absolute madness but Stein always did have his favourites.

Back