Remembering Arie Haan at the 1978 World Cup

dh1963

Not a player who will make it into an all time Dutch eleven. But he was the Holland player we were all talking about for a week or two in the summer of 1978 thanks to these 2 amazing long range goals.
The World Cup last 8 didn't go to quarter finals back then, it was 2 groups of 4 with each group winner going into the final.

After beating Austria, Holland then had holders West Germany and group favourites Italy to play. Thanks to these 30-35 yarders scored against 2 of the most famous goalkeepers in the world, it was the Dutch who qualified to play Argentina in the final.

Has any player ever scored 2 such long range spectacular goals in successive games in the closing stages of a major tournament?

Not a player who will make it into an all time Dutch eleven. But he was the Holland player we were all talking about for a week or two in the summer of 1978 thanks to these 2 amazing long range goals.
The World Cup last 8 didn't go to quarter finals back then, it was 2 groups of 4 with each group winner going into the final.

After beating Austria, Holland then had holders West Germany and group favourites Italy to play. Thanks to these 30-35 yarders scored against 2 of the most famous goalkeepers in the world, it was the Dutch who qualified to play Argentina in the final.

Has any player ever scored 2 such long range spectacular goals in successive games in the closing stages of a major tournament?

Wow, I'd forgotten about him.

2 amazing strikes especially taking into account the keepers he beat from distance - Maier and Zoff.

IMHO though still not the best goal scored at that tournament. Don't know how to post the clip but Nelinho for Brazil against Italy (nae luck Dino) was an absolute peach. Lot of debate back then as to whether it was a shot or a cross but looking at the way he hit it, definitely meant it.

42 years ago. Christ, where did the time go.

2 amazing strikes especially taking into account the keepers he beat from distance - Maier and Zoff.

IMHO though still not the best goal scored at that tournament. Don't know how to post the clip but Nelinho for Brazil against Italy (nae luck Dino) was an absolute peach. Lot of debate back then as to whether it was a shot or a cross but looking at the way he hit it, definitely meant it.

I remember that goal, from out near the touchline. Was in the 3rd and 4th place game.

Not as close to the touchline as I remember

Not as close to the touchline as I remember

I thought it was further out towards the touchline as well. Still some strike though.

Me and my mates spent the whole summer holidays afterwards trying to recreate some of the best goals from that tournament. 42 years later I'm still trying. :D

My mate was given the Dutch shirt of Rene Van Der Kerkhof after the 1978 World Cup and one of the official World Cup Adidas Tango match footballs. My mate's brother, a geeky type wih no interest in football, worked for Philips and lived next door to RVDK in Eindhoven.

As a 11 year old at that time, if you shot in a kick about , his name would be mentioned while shooting.
A bit of a cringe now, but it was the 70s and we were young.
Funny after the 82 World Cup I was 11 my pals and me playing football would do the commentary and use the the french team while we played.Not cringe at all mate all part of being a kid.I watch my boy and lad next door doing the exact same thing and wee fella keeps screaming messi after he scores.Hate that wee prick as well.(messi not my boy).

Funny after the 82 World Cup I was 11 my pals and me playing football would do the commentary and use the the french team while we played.Not cringe at all mate all part of being a kid.I watch my boy and lad next door doing the exact same thing and wee fella keeps screaming messi after he scores.Hate that wee prick as well.(messi not my boy).
I know its just being a kid, it was my shooting that was the cringe.

Brilliant post mate and a great name for a player that I will always remember

It's amazing watching these clips back. I was only 8 at the time and I honestly thought he was closer to the half way line when he struck them :D

There were a lot of long range goals at that tournament. Altitude apparently helped, if I remember correctly.

Not a bad player, won 3 european cups with Ajax & 2 cup winners cups with Anderlecht.
He’s got an honours list most players would give their right arm for . Just checked it out as I knew he had won a lot but not this much -

Seven league winners with four different teams in three countries
Four national cups with two teams in two countries
Three European Cups
One Intercontinental Cup
Three European Super Cups
Two ECWC and two runners up
Two World Cup runners up

And managed nineteen teams

Back