Dundee and Strachan endearing themselves to Scottish football

Gibraltar Loyal

Former Scotland boss Gordon Strachan believes too many of the country's senior clubs are not professional enough.

Of the 42 member sides of the SPFL, 22 employ players on a full-time basis, while the remaining 20 are part-time.

Strachan thinks the lack of fully professional sides is holding the game back.

"If you want to be a professional club, show it," he told the BBC's Scottish football podcast.

"Have full-time employees, have full-time players, have an academy, do the whole lot. Just don't play at being a football team and expect us to look after you.

"When you talk about clubs coming into the league, what are they bringing in? Two hundred people per week to a game, is that really professional football?

"The teams in the bottom two leagues at the moment, in general, how many players have they produced over the last 14 years?"

Strachan, who is technical director at Championship side Dundee, believes "40 or 50%" of SPFL clubs would not survive in the English National League.

The former Celtic and Middlesbrough boss was also critical of the overall "product" of Scottish football, and believes the spectacle must improve to bring in more money.

"If you think giving a good product is watching two teams in the bottom half of the Scottish Premiership playing on a plastic pitch, you're kidding yourself," he said. "Absolutely kidding yourself."

He added: "I just think we get over this period, see where we all are, how we all come out it. Then say, 'right, OK, who really wants to go head over heels in being professional and bringing on the game?'

"I'm sure if we do it properly, our product can be 100% better than it is right now.

"Nobody's going to kill a football club but find your level that you play at. Find the level your finances are putting you.

"Don't tell me you're a professional club when you're paying people part-time 80 quid a week and nobody turns up to your football matches."

"Nobody's going to kill a football club but find your level that you play at. Find the level your finances are putting you."

Don't have aspirations. Stay in your lane.

That will help the game, Gordon.

He’s a wee dick but he’s spot on. I’ve said for years that Scotland should have a top flight of 16 or 18 at the most with strict entry qualifications - no plastic pitches, minimum capacity stadium of 10000, full time only, certain standards of training & youth facilities. The rest can play in a regional league system until they’re willing to actually put the money in & be a proper professional club.

The font of all knowledge Gordon Strachan. :D

Yes Gordon if we do it properly football in this country could be 100% better.
By "properly" I mean by removing all corruption from the game including your club Dundee. So we can do without you lecturing on what's wrong with the game as you and your club are part of what's wrong.

How's that Sky career going?

What you fecked it up? Surely that was a great little earner for you away from the pressure of the dugout?

You did what?

You compared people who may choose to chant about paedo footballers to those making racist comments/chants at football?

Are you insane? Or did you simply forget that you were no longer employed by the paedo harbourers?

I agree with Strachan. There are too many clubs in the SPFL. The SPFL should cover 24 clubs. The rest should operate on a regional basis out with the SPFL to join up with the Highland and Lowland leagues. In some areas clubs that are too close might need to merge to maintain SPFL status. For Gordon and his club that might need to happen. Can Dundee support two clubs?

Hes right though too many wee teams in leagues 1 & 2 that are no better than some junior teams , facilities are shocking .

I completely agree with him. Cut the game to two professional leagues of 16, play each other twice. More young players playing at the top level against the best teams, and the best teams willing to give younger players a chance due to weaker opposition.

The power some of these so called professional clubs have is an embarrassment.

Tbf I agree with him.
It's not the amount of clubs that's the issue. Even The juniors can boast crowds that would shame some League 2 clubs. It's the amount of professional leagues. 42 clubs, split between 4 leagues, playing each other 4 times a season, all in the name of maintaining 4 OF games a season. If Scottish Football actually grew a set they'd tell the Tv companies were to go, 2 top leagues with a pyramid system below. Play each other twice and have standard Saturday 3pm kick offs. A romantic fantasy I know,but it would generate more interest, more meaningful games (actually looking forward to the OF games) and would get more people through the gates.

Not the most diplomatic but the reality is that what he says is 100% true. The vast majority of these clubs in League 1/2 may fulfil a valuable community role, and their fans may be every bit as passionate as we are, but they don't belong in the upper echelons of the professional game in Scotland. They are taking money out of the game that could be better spent on improving a smaller professional league. Let them go back to a Lowland League or a Highland League, or even the Juniors. Have a fully professional top two tiers - on grass pitches - and that's it. Its all we need.

This might not be the time but after the shakedown from this crisis is fully apparent it might be the only way ahead in any case.

He’s a wee dick but he’s spot on. I’ve said for years that Scotland should have a top flight of 16 or 18 at the most with strict entry qualifications - no plastic pitches, minimum capacity stadium of 10000, full time only, certain standards of training & youth facilities. The rest can play in a regional league system until they’re willing to actually put the money in & be a proper professional club.
Lol , you wouldn’t even have half a league mate .

Been one of the massive arguments in a couple of the group chats since this all kicked off.

there’s too many clubs in Scotland for the size of the population we have. Realistically how many clubs should we have, it would be hard to argue too have more than 2 leagues. But it’s all too late to do that.
Lanarkshire isn’t massively populated for example, but you have Hamilton, Motherwell, Airdrie, Clyde Albion Rovers. 5 sides in Professional (despite more than half being semi pro), it’s crazy. And in those areas most of those areas will be Rangers and Celtic fans. And that’s the same up and down the country.

He‘s right but we have seen over the last few weeks there is no appetite to change and improve.

The league if full of clubs run by small minded individuals who only care about their own agendas.

He's right to be fair. Its a different sport at the bottom and having a team with 200 fans and a team of brickies and firemen telling proper professional teams with multi million overheads what they can and can't do is just stupid. There are 20 teams too many in Scottish 'Pro' football

Spot on about plastic pitches in the top league,also too many teams in the lower divisions are having too big a say as well and the only reason they want to get to the premiership is for the old firm gate receipts and probably have no plans to improve,either stadium or teams.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the list of 22 full time clubs? Outwith the top flight, I'm sure a few clubs status has changed recently.

Premier division of 18, First division of 16 then regionalise the rest.

Play each other home and away. Three down and two up automatically, then a play off for the third promotion spot.

You could still work a pyramid system into the First division.

Summer football. Sky or BT will take it on as we aren’t competing with anyone for games. Yes there’s less OF games but only playing them twice in the league makes the games even bigger. Less is more.
Scottish football needs a massive shake up. What I’ve suggested isn’t perfect and I’m sure there’s massive holes in it, but something needs to be done. There’s too many clubs for a country our size.

2 or 3 tier system is all that’s required in Scotland with the bottom being either north/south or east/west. Create homegrown registration rules to bring back academies. If clubs can’t survive that’s because they weren’t contributing, just existing for the sake of it. I’d also make the top league 10 teams. Larger leagues aren’t that great. Gives you more teams with nothing to play for.

Former Scotland boss Gordon Strachan believes too many of the country's senior clubs are not professional enough.

Of the 42 member sides of the SPFL, 22 employ players on a full-time basis, while the remaining 20 are part-time.

Strachan thinks the lack of fully professional sides is holding the game back.

"If you want to be a professional club, show it," he told the BBC's Scottish football podcast.

"Have full-time employees, have full-time players, have an academy, do the whole lot. Just don't play at being a football team and expect us to look after you.

"When you talk about clubs coming into the league, what are they bringing in? Two hundred people per week to a game, is that really professional football?

"The teams in the bottom two leagues at the moment, in general, how many players have they produced over the last 14 years?"

Strachan, who is technical director at Championship side Dundee, believes "40 or 50%" of SPFL clubs would not survive in the English National League.

The former Celtic and Middlesbrough boss was also critical of the overall "product" of Scottish football, and believes the spectacle must improve to bring in more money.

"If you think giving a good product is watching two teams in the bottom half of the Scottish Premiership playing on a plastic pitch, you're kidding yourself," he said. "Absolutely kidding yourself."

He added: "I just think we get over this period, see where we all are, how we all come out it. Then say, 'right, OK, who really wants to go head over heels in being professional and bringing on the game?'

"I'm sure if we do it properly, our product can be 100% better than it is right now.

"Nobody's going to kill a football club but find your level that you play at. Find the level your finances are putting you.

"Don't tell me you're a professional club when you're paying people part-time 80 quid a week and nobody turns up to your football matches."

100% agree with everything he says then realise he is a director at Dundee and it becomes clear how Lawell could offer them shit to swing the vote.

Lol , you wouldn’t even have half a league mate .

Whilst I get what you mean, the idea that Kilmarnock (for example) go to a plastic surface is laughable. Probably the easiest part of scotland to grow vegetables et al and they cant maintain a grass pitch ?

40 clubs for 5.45 million people according to Google and our top four divisions.

If England had a similar ratio, there'd be something like 410 league cup teams.

How they have acted over the last couple of months the word “professional” and “Dundee” should not be used together.

Back