Claudio Reyna, how good was he in your opinion?

Walker54

64 games
10 goals.
I always really liked Reyna, admittedly knew nothing about him before we signed him from Wolfsburg for around the 1.2 million mark, when we signed him I thought it was just another squad player but I was completely wrong.
So comfortable and calm on the ball, great ball carrier and very good at breaking up attacks from the middle of the park.
We made a really good profit when we sold him to Sunderland but I was gutted when we let him go.

Superb player who would have made a bigger impact if the strength of our midfield at the time didn't leave him marginalised as a squad player. I can understand that. While Reyna and Tugay were both superb players, would you really drop either Barry or Gio to play them?

He often played at right back, rather than midfield, where I thought he was excellent. At right back he provided athleticism and a technical ability that suited our possession game at the time. I was sorry to see him go but he was too good to be a bit-part player.

Captain America. Good solid performer. Played with really good midfielders so wasnt the standout in our team because we had players like De Boer.

He was immense
Just went about his business on the park effortlessly
Must have been a dream to have had in the team for his manager and team mates
Loved watching him in action
Very similar to Steven Davis ⚽

Very Good player. Played with world class players so he probably never got the recognition he deserved. If he played in Scotland now, he'd be the best player in the league.

A very high level international player, must be one of the best America has produced.

And to think we had to play him at right back because of the options in midfield

Good player, probably not as important for us as he should have been or might have been at another time. So much money was being spent under Smith and Advocaat and looking back much of it was seemingly flung against the wall to see what stuck. There were always new big money signings coming in and some fell by the wayside as a result when a bit of perseverance, smart sales, better planning would have seen them make more of an impact. Tugay suffered from that same as Reyna.

A fantastic midfielder and Dick robbed Wolfsburg blind at £1.2m. When you think back, Tugay an absolutely top class operator who essentially couldn’t get a game for us, shows how good a midfield we had.

Fond memories.

Excellent player, as mentioned above the midfield of Ferguson, Reyna, VanBronkhorst and Albert were unplayable at times, it was a great pity that we couldn't keep them together

Dad tried to name me after him lol, phenomenal utility player right back , right midfield or central. Jack of all trades.

He was a terrific footballer, made things look effortless.

Tugay was another class act but really underused by Advocaat.

He could also play right back,and did so with great effect against Bobby peta,the game after peta had run ricksen ragged,,first minute of the game ,Reyna put peta in the air ,3rd minute he done it again,,,result peta chucked it,never done a thing in the game ,and never done anything against again, we won 5-1

Brilliant player, the type that if it's not broke don't fix it, the type that did the job without people noticing how good he did it, then he could step it up to another level if needed, as I said at the start, brilliant player

A class act on and off the pitch.
3475-1410857908.jpg

Great career @ Rangers, Man City, Sunderland, New kids on the block, Wolfsburg , Leverkusen

Last edited:
As someone who has no expertise in tactics or positions, he struck me as a player who did his job quietly that most of us wouldn't know he was playing well or effectively.

Very very consistent player. Played in an excellent squad and team and would have looked good in any team.

Superb player who would have made a bigger impact if the strength of our midfield at the time didn't leave him marginalised as a squad player. I can understand that. While Reyna and Tugay were both superb players, would you really drop either Barry or Gio to play them?

He often played at right back, rather than midfield, where I thought he was excellent. At right back he provided athleticism and a technical ability that suited our possession game at the time. I was sorry to see him go but he was too good to be a bit-part player.

I don’t agree with this. He was pretty much a starter every week, and almost always at right mid.
I don’t ever remember him being a squad player and he only filled in at right back when we needed him to.
And when he left, he was the main man because all the others had left (Fergie apart)

Great player. He went about his business without much plaudits a bit like Saša Papac.

That goal against Parma will live with me forever.

I also remember getting 'Reyna 40' on the back of my new kit prior to the squad numbers being released then his number was changed to 12 which was a red neck as a teenager amongst my peers. Felt like a diddy. :))

A player that I barely noticed until he left. Then I realised what we had when he did. Just done his job and done it well.

We were truly spoiled for midfielders in the early 00's

Back