The Hootsman: "Record books remiss without an asterisk"

LenzieLoyal

Official Ticketer
Like it or not, Celtic’s title win must carry an asterisk

By Stephen Halliday
Friday, 29th May 2020, 10:30 pm

Which takes me back to the revered dictionary first published in Glasgow by William Collins back in the 19th century. As the redoubtable Mr Collins lived and died before either of the Old Firm clubs were formed, we can safely assume there is no agenda in the following entry on page 38 – 
‘asterisk n a star-shaped character (*) used in printing or writing to indicate a footnote’.

Like it or not, the record books will be remiss if they do not place an asterisk against the final Premiership table to inform future generations that the 2019-20 season was curtailed because of the coronavirus pandemic. The same applies to the other eight European countries (Netherlands, Belgium, France, Cyprus, Luxembourg, Malta, Wales and Gibraltar) who, in common with the SPFL, decided not to follow Uefa’s preferred route of extending their campaigns and attempting to conclude them on the field of play over the course of the next few months.

Timmy won't like it but, Halliday's bang on the money.

It doesn't count. We all know this. Nothing we can do now.

We put this season behind us, move onto 2020/21 and stop looking back.

It will become even more of an issue if they win the league next season. They’ll be screaming 10iar from the rooftops but people will rightly be asking if that should have an asterisk too. Same goes for 11 12 etc, if they get that far.

Last edited:
That’s two trophies they have “ won” this year that they have had more than a little help with.

Mate we blew it in the LCF. Their goal was offside (just) but we missed enough chances that day to win 3 or 4 scum games.

I get where you are coming from though.

They’ll be standing in their maws bathroom, pants at the ankles and a flaccid dick when other nations complete their leagues.
* you betcha!

Last edited:
He’s absolutely correct here *.
Never has there been such an obvious giveaway of a league title - the season is incomplete and should be recorded as such or even declared as null and void with the corrupt awarding of the title revoked (and of course with the resultant saving of Hearts from relegation).

Mate we blew it in the LCF. Their goal was offside (just) but we missed enough chances that day to win 3 or 4 scum games.

We were in a difficult situation granted, but with a game in hand and two head-to-head games left, I hadnt given up on the league and neither had any other Bears I knew. WE never surrender to those scumbags and on the basis of our performances against them this season, and their record of choking, the final outcome was far from certain.

It wasn’t complete therefore must have an asterisk, timmy thinks normal procedure doesn’t apply to them.
Neither does Doncaster unfortunately. He's already said an asterisk is out of the question.

Hopefully UEFA will deal with the spfl and the other8 for going against sporting integrity. Don't hold your breath.no surrender w.a.t.p

what about the helping hand that put it in the net and the brown enveloper that ignored it

We were in a difficult situation granted, but with a game in hand and two head-to-head games left, I hadnt given up on the league and neither had any other Bears I knew. WE never surrender to those scumbags and on the basis of our performances against them this season, and their record of choking, the final outcome was far from certain.

Neither does Doncaster unfortunately. He's already said an asterisk is out of the question.
He is biased so his opinion counts for f*ck all.

That should be the display next time we play the rhat bastards. 50,000 white cards with an * in the middle and nothing else.

Absolutely. People might complain about us making it all about them. But we should be making it all about them atm. They stole a championship crown they didn’t win and are writing history that it was won on the pitch as opposed to a show of hands.

You can see the desperation by their sycophants in the media and in the club itself, telling everyone it’s a real title and doesn’t need an asterisk and to shut up and dont ask questions.

Never ever ever ever let them forget. They didn’t win it, they were awarded it by default. It’s a virtual title, it isn’t real. We need to be relentless. Remind them of it at every single OF match.

The good thing here is that Rangers have 'facts' on their side and Celtic have 'probably' on their side. Fact is the league was incomplete, that can't be argued with. All they have is that they would probably have won the league but we don't know for sure. And that's killing them.

The league was abandoned. It was unfinished. It's not even an argument. It's an indisputable fact. The record books will show that.

It shouldn’t really be up for debate.

If the EPL resumes and Liverpool clinch the title, albeit behind closed doors, I think everyone, Liverpool fans included, would expect to see an asterisk beside the season and their victory.

It’s just a reasonable assumption that these unique events we’re living through should be recorded for posterity.

To not do so strays into the realms of something much more invidious.

It shouldn’t really be up for debate.

If the EPL resumes and Liverpool clinch the title, albeit behind closed doors, I think everyone, Liverpool fans included, would expect to see an asterisk beside the season and their victory.

It’s just a reasonable assumption that these unique events we’re living through should be recorded for posterity.

To not do so strays into the realms of something much more invidious.
You want an asterisk next to Liverpool even though they've completed their season and won their title fair and square?

You want an asterisk next to Liverpool even though they've completed their season and won their title fair and square?

Of course.

There should be an asterisk in the record books of every league in every country in the world whether it’s played to a finish or not to acknowledge the disruption caused by the pandemic.

I’d expect that if the SPFL resumed and we went on to win the title.

Of course.

There should be an asterisk in the record books of every league in every country in the world whether it’s played to a finish or not to acknowledge the disruption caused by the pandemic.

I’d expect that if the SPFL resumed and we went on to win the title.
I don't agree with that at all. Yes, the season was disrupted, but it was disrupted for every club. If the EPL gets played to a finish Liverpool certainly don't deserve an asterisk next to them.

Back