Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

Attempting to cover it up.
My own belief is that it was never an internal investigation (or at least one victim would have been involved) this is business code for full 'risk assessment' and damage limitation. The results of which you are seeing with their use of Holicom and the media and their control of both the SPFL and the SFA.

Just my opinion

My own belief is that it was never an internal investigation (or at least one victim would have been involved) this is business code for full 'risk assessment' and damage limitation. The results of which you are seeing with their use of Holicom and the media and their control of both the SPFL and the SFA.

Just my opinion
Of course there was never an internal investigation as they put it. No victims or families were approached in this 2 years by the club. To call it an investigation is laughable.

Of course there was never an internal investigation as they put it. No victims or families were approached in this 2 years by the club. To call it an investigation is laughable.
I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or telling me off? However my point, badly made, is that they have been working very hard on this. When the business environment is threatened companies always go to risk assessment and defence, minimum risk strategy. First denial, then slight acceptance, followed by PR etc. However thee must also be a £ assessment they will be making at every turn.
Again, only my opinion, but they will be looking for either a bluff our way out strategy, or a point where they admit at the lowest financial cost.. And even as I type that you forget people were victimised here, its absolutely horrible.

Edit, sorry just saw the like thing... bear with me on this!!

It has been mentioned but not by us. There has been an approach a while back. We’re not in this for fame or point scoring as you’ll understand. If that were to happen then I’m sure all proceeds would go to victims without a doubt.
I am sure you are not in it for fame BUT I DO think at the end of all of this you all certainly do deserve it. A few drinks , a few cigars and LOTS of praise from fellow bears and bearetttes. A book would certainly go down well , just to know exactly what you all had to endure through these times . Keep up the excellent work lads.

And once again not one single journalist in this wee shitehole will ask that rancid organisation about their so called investigation.
Scum protecting scum.

Sickening tbh.

Yes it is as incredulous as it is absolutely disgusting that they aren't getting crucified daily for answers.

The club like no other.

A company which has employed multiple convicted sex offenders, conducts an internal investigation into a company it claims is a separate entity. This is after several previous internal investigations into scurrilous claims saw no evidence of any wrongdoing, which led to paedophiles being left in place and even the re-employment of at least one paedophile. The most recent internal investigation, claimed to have been started in recent years, hasn't managed to contact one single victim, or a family member of a victim. A request to respect "the due process of law" was demanded of a (lawyer) MP who asked for information on the enquiry.

Found this clipping from a 1971 football magazine. For something they claim is a separate entity, they didn't half set their sights high when it came to selecting an honorary Chairman. I wonder if Connery accepted the position, and if so, what his thoughts are now?

bond-12.jpg
They scumbags really are the pits Sean Connery Ardent Sellik fan jock stein was the Honorary president
Great wee snippet and more proof if anyone needed it

This “investigation” has only been carried out to assess the potential liability to the club/insurance company imo - and examine ways they think they could get away with this. Not that any insurance policy would cover this abuse obviously.

And wasn’t it the insurance company that was supposed to have conducted it?

I am sure you are not in it for fame BUT I DO think at the end of all of this you all certainly do deserve it. A few drinks , a few cigars and LOTS of praise from fellow bears and bearetttes. A book would certainly go down well , just to know exactly what you all had to endure through these times . Keep up the excellent work lads.

One book wouldn't cover it mate...trust me.

Every person in this country regardless of what team they support should be demanding answers.

Any Celtic fans or any journalists looking in, particularly those who have children who dream of playing professional football

THOSE COULD HAVE BEEN YOUR KIDS WHO WERE RAPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why shouldnt they face footballing penalties?
Ask yourself these questions...

Would they have signed any of the players they have over these decades with the reputational damage the truth would have caused?
Would they have won any of the the trophies that they have over this period without said players?
Would they have had the money to spend on players if they had been properly compensating the victims of these horrible crimes?
Ask these questions to anyone who says they never gained a sporting advantage through the denials and deceit over these decades.
I totally agree.
My point though is more about the general public’s apathy towards this whole subject.
I just don’t see a desire to see them punished.

A twice-convicted paedophile was employed by Celtic while he preyed on young players, further undermining the club’s refusal to accept responsibility for systematic sexual abuse at its feeder club.

Jim Torbett, 72, the founder of Celtic Boys Club, was jailed for six years in 2018 for sexually abusing boys between August 1986 and August 1994. He had previously served a two-year sentence for molesting players, including the future Scotland striker Alan Brazil, at the boys’ club between 1967 and 1974.

While expressing “regret and sympathy”, Celtic have distanced themselves from Torbett, describing the boys’ club as an “entirely separate organisation” with which they had “historic contacts”.

However, The Times can disclose that in addition to coaching he was hired by the club to run a chain of shops, selling merchandise. Torbett’s firm, the Trophy Centre, also had a long-running contract with Celtic. The revelations will heap further pressure on the champions after four senior figures at the boys’ club were convicted of molesting children over four decades.

In March 1994 The Celtic View, the club’s magazine, carried an article about sales. It states: “Jim Torbett, who oversees the Celtic Shops. . .” Four months earlier the magazine reported on how Torbett had launched a club shop in Argyle Street, Glasgow. In 1994 Celtic listed three shops, one department store concession and their staff as part of the club’s commercial division.

During his first trial in 1998 Hugh Birt, the late former boys’ club chairman, gave evidence that Jock Stein — then manager of Celtic FC — kicked Torbett out in 1974 after hearing claims of abuse, but did not inform the police.

It is a version of events corroborated by Lou Macari, the former Celtic player and manager, who wrote in his autobiography: “The wish to maintain the good name of Celtic was the only thing that kept the issue from coming to light.”

Torbett returned to Celtic Boys Club four years later and molested more boys, remaining there until 1996 when abuse allegations appeared in the press.

Passing sentence in 2018, Lord Beckett said: “You used the club as a front and a recruiting ground for boys who you could sexually abuse.”

In February Celtic FC said it was “very sorry” the abuse had happened, but still insisted that the boys’ club was separate. After Torbett’s 2018 conviction the club issued a statement saying: “Allegations regarding abuse at Celtic Boys Club first emerged in the 1990s.”

However, Celtic launched an internal investigation in 1986 that found “nothing to substantiate” the claims.

Thompsons Solicitors, which is representing about 20 abuse survivors, is preparing to launch legal action against the club. A Celtic spokesman said: “We would have no comment to make.”

A club insider added: “I’m not aware Torbett was actually employed directly by the club.”

Official magazine highlighted links
Investigations by The Times have exposed the links between Celtic FC and its scandal-hit feeder club (Marc Horne writes).

Celtic has insisted that it is not legally culpable for the widespread abuse, describing the boys’ club as “entirely separate”.

However, their position was contradicted by their own official magazine.

In 1987 an article in The Celtic View said: “It was some 20 short years back that [the Celtic manager] Jock Stein and [the chairman] Sir Robert Kelly brought the boys’ club into the Celtic family.

“It is now 18 years since Jock and [the Celtic scout] John Higgins made the connection official.”

The previous year it featured a report saying: “David Hay [the Celtic manager] complimented Celtic Boys Club and once again confirmed that they are very much a part of Celtic FC.”

An archived copy of the now-defunct feeder club website stated it was the “only official Celtic Boys Club”, while its registered address was a Celtic FC training ground.

Jack McGinn, Celtic’s chairman at the time, was found to have accepted the resignation of the boys’ club coach Frank Cairney after allegations he had abused a teenager on a US tour in 1991. Mr McGinn’s involvement appears at odds with claims that there were no links between the clubs.

The Times uncovered documents showing that Stein had personally recruited Cairney to the boys’ club in 1970.

If it was us, we'd be shut down already. And quite rightly so!
Penn State got obliterated for the cover up of ONE paedophile. ONE. Not 4 convicted in the last year, not 7 convictions so far. One.

Countless victims being isolated and ignored by those with the powers to deliver justice. It is sick!
I just thank God that some of those victims, notably Gordon Woods to mention one, have become emboldened and are showing unbelievable strength to stand and face these evils eye to eye, with no hint of blinking. God bless them all.

It is beyond depressing to have observed this widespread blockade of justice on this thread. It's not the Scotland I grew up in, that's for certain.

It’s a year to the day that the scum announced to the world they had been conducting a 2 year internal investigation.
Is it now a 3 year investigation? Yet, still no victims or their families contacted? Shut them down.
_107191281_herald-june1.png
A secret investigation into a boys club that has %^*& all to do with them and a boys club,who they kicked coaches out of and accepted resignations from...separate entity my arse....as their SNP protectors say "all under one banner"...a beast like no other.

A club that has been infested with paedophiles , liars , deniers , cheats , money launderers , terrorist supporters within their ranks and a club that has been responsible for the ruination of young lives and young dreams , CFC is indeed a CLUB LIKE NO OTHER ! that should do the honourable thing by compensating the victims of child abuse , removed from the SPFL and burned to the ground and remembered as Scotlands Shame .:mad::mad::mad:

If it was us, we'd be shut down already. And quite rightly so!
Penn State got obliterated for the cover up of ONE paedophile. ONE. Not 4 convicted in the last year, not 7 convictions so far. One.

Countless victims being isolated and ignored by those with the powers to deliver justice. It is sick!
I just thank God that some of those victims, notably Gordon Woods to mention one, have become emboldened and are showing unbelievable strength to stand and face these evils eye to eye, with no hint of blinking. God bless them all.

It is beyond depressing to have observed this widespread blockade of justice on this thread. It's not the Scotland I grew up in, that's for certain.
It’s good that you put it like that.
That is the difference.
We’d demand the perpetrators were hunted down and punished and any cover up exposed.

Always find strength seeing this thread near the top of the bearpit and it being down to the mentally challenged enablers getting exposed in the press.

To those fighting behind the scenes, keep up your terrific work supporting the victims.

Remember. It is not an us vs them football issue.

It is far bigger and serious than that. Justice for the victims and the adult lives ruined by the sordid mentally challenged bastards.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned on previous posts but how was CBC funded I mean the premises the training facilities and the bheast coaching staff, was it charitable donations were the coaches on a voluntary basis? It wouldn’t be cheap running that kind of operation without donations from an organisation “benefiting” from CBC. And what are the slime Torbett, Cairney and co saying about the whole separate entity shite, they have been cut adrift to take the flack so maybe their loyalties have changed.
i played against there boys club once when around 14-15 years old and the talking point with us was how well turned out they were with strips and kit, everything looked brand new where as us our kit looked like shit.

This cant be right surely?

I mean Stein marched Torbett out of the crime scene by the scruff of his neck?!?!?

Yet another sordid lie exposed.

Imagine knowing your clubs most succesfull era was built on the misery of young boys.

Their heroes are spineless at best, and at worst criminals, aiding and abetting abusers.

Horrible horrible human beings.

This cant be right surely?

I mean Stein marched Torbett out of the crime scene by the scruff of his neck?!?!?

Yet another sordid lie exposed.

Imagine knowing your clubs most succesfull era was built on the misery of young boys.

Their heroes are spineless at best, and at worst criminals, aiding and abetting abusers.

Horrible horrible human beings.
I'm beginning to think that the
" Stein kicked him out by putting a boot up his arse" may well be another celtic myth

So Humza. After today’s news on you’re beloved club, would you or any of you’re colleagues care to comment? Or are we still hiding behind the SFA review? Tic toc.

BN, I fear that fat Useless and his facist party will wait on the whitewash that is the SFA findings and attempt to kick the can further down the road and tell all to move on. I can't see them volunteering any form of support to the victims and the affected families. The lack of empathy to the affected is truly sickening. They will cling on for dear life for the block vote in hope for another bash at independence.
I do hope the more that comes out the more likely the general attitude will change amongst this country and pressure will be applied for justice.

Tell you what, what we know must only be the tip of the iceberg. To the guys working hard to expose this and get justice for these poor lads, I applaud you all. Your restraint and resolve to not scream everything you have on these beasts from the rooftops is truly remarkable, given how utterly disgusted I am with what you've uncovered so far.

The club needs shut down. For me, nothing less is acceptable.

BN, I fear that fat Useless and his facist party will wait on the whitewash that is the SFA findings and attempt to kick the can further down the road and tell all to move on. I can't see them volunteering any form of support to the victims and the affected families. The lack of empathy to the affected is truly sickening. They will cling on for dear life for the block vote in hope for another bash at independence.
I do hope the more that comes out the more likely the general attitude will change amongst this country and pressure will be applied for justice.
It will become so hot for the SNP that they will have to do something. Politicians outside Scotland are aware of this.

I wonder how some of the current Celtic players will react when this all comes out in public?

I'm not talking about the morons like Brown and Griffiths (and Lennon), I mean foreign players who may be concerned about their name being linked with a club steeped in paedophilia and cover-ups.

Will there be some transfer requests handed in, or are they all so brainwashed that they won't give a fūck?

I wonder how some of the current Celtic players will react when this all comes out in public?

I'm not talking about the morons like Brown and Griffiths (and Lennon), I mean foreign players who may be concerned about their name being linked with a club steeped in paedophilia and cover-ups.

Will there be some transfer requests handed in, or are they all so brainwashed that they won't give a fūck?

Im not on Twitter. But has our fans made comments to their new signings about the club they are signing for. Or is that a level of "obsession" too far?

Back