Lyle Taylor - Charlton striker

Isn’t he 30? At that age being signed as 3rd choice for us seems daft. I would have thought the goal would be to bring in a young guy for that role to develop. At 30, as 3rd choice how much game time is he really going to get

11 in 22 games.

A 1 in 2 record at that level is not bad going by anyone's standards.

For reference, Dykes and Kamberi have worse ratios than that playing in the SPFL yet people want us to sign them.

4 of the 11 goals were penalties.

Not convinced he would play much if he came here with Alfie still around and even if Alfie leaves then Taylor wouldn't be a replacement more a back up option.

I don't think Charlton pay their players that much. That contract would also have been signed when he was in League 1 with them.
Exactly, say his present contract is worth 1.5 to 2 million at say 10 grand a week, dont know his contract length so only guesswork. We would probably offer a contract worth around 3 million with a similar wage

Most footballers contractors in England expire 30th of June I believe.

If he refuses to play any games up to that date presumably he’d be deemed in Breach of contract

Would have thought if he was on his way to us we would have known by now. That said the club seem to be pretty solid at keeping its business out of the papers until they choose to release it.

I see he is refusing to play for Charlton to avoid injury because he has a big move lined up this summer.

If rumours are to be believed its us that are waiting. Wouldn't be surprised if Aribo's put in a good word.

I think he'd be a cracking signing. 30 years old but has been a late developer, far better player than Kamberi, he's also a big unit and much more suited to the loan striker role than Defoe. He also knows the Scottish game having been at Falkirk and Partick Thistle in the past.

Ideally we'll play 2 up front next season and he could partner Morelos. At the very least its a more exciting option than the likes of Lyndon Dykes.
Nothing exciting about this guy

He mostly plays wide right. That's a very good ratio for a guy mostly playing wide right for a struggling team.

I don't know much about this player but the right of our attack is a position we definitely need to strengthen and being a goal threat rather than a touchline winger is what we're crying out for.

Don’t know much about the guy but if it was a done deal I’m sure it would’ve been announced by now.

He's not going to a club that competes for trophies in England. So that does point towards us.

We won't be giving him £20k to be the third choice.

We need a striker, two if Morelos goes.

Morelos/replacement, Vydra (striker of similar quality) and Defoe. That's what we should be looking for instead of a Kamberi, Dykes or Taylor.

You need options, you need to push Morelos/his replacement and you also need quality and the ability to mix it; two strikers in the team. If we are going to be so set on one formation and set up next season, then we'll struggle, again.

Out of all the teams he is linked to we are the only one that will challenge for trophies but then I doubt bowyer would be saying it is a chance of a life time giving his bitterness towards us so who knows.

Maybe, but it’s definitely higher than all bar two, I wanted to say one, in the SPL.

I'm not sure that's a definite.

They pay big cash and the presentation by Sky is obviously miles better, but some of the teams are very poor.

They'd probably fare better over a number of games, but in one off matches the better teams up here would do ok, I reckon.

But obviously we'll never know for certain, so I admit I could be wrong.

Wouldn’t be interested in a player who is refusing to play to avoid injury before a move. He’d try that shite at the next club he goes to as well.

I'm not sure that's a definite.

They pay big cash and the presentation by Sky is obviously miles better, but some of the teams are very poor.

They'd probably fare better over a number of games, but in one off matches the better teams up here would do ok, I reckon.

But obviously we'll never know for certain, so I admit I could be wrong.
I just don’t think the sheep or Motherwell would finish top ten, maybe top eight, in the championship.

I think he's on £4K a week at Charlton, to treble or quadruple that at Rangers is very much in the realms of possibility, especially considering there is no transfer fee to pay. You could probably free up that wage by moving on Murphy.

I don’t think he’ll be on more than 5k a week at Charlton. They’re not a big club and they don’t pay large wages.
We probably trebled Aribo’s wage when he signed. If not more than trebled it.

Can only really mean us or them. Have a feeling Taylor could be a Rod Wallace type signing, people underwhelmed then turns out to score crucial goals.

Rod Wallace was an English League title winner. Played European football regularly. Then banged in 29 goals for us in his first season.

It's one hell of a jump to think a guy who has played for dud sides his entire career, would then walk into our side, and emulate that.

Rod Wallace was an English League title winner. Played European football regularly. Then banged in 29 goals for us in his first season.

It's one hell of a jump to think a guy who has played for dud sides his entire career, would then walk into our side, and emulate that.

was talking more in terms of being a below the radar signing not comparing ability wise (Wallace Signing at the time compared to Gio or Numan or Kanchelskis) but proving at the end of the season to be a very shrewd signing.

Lyle and Aribo appear to be very good friends. They constantly comment on one another's Instagram posts and like each others posts. If it's between us and them then, I would imagine he'd like to link back up with his mate. Could be wrong though, that mob could have offered him silly money.

Wouldn’t want him as second choice striker, if we keep Morelos we need a more reliable striker than him imo to support when Morelos can’t play

If Morelos does leave he's going to be almost impossible to replace! Will take a few players to replace him! Would be a decent signing on a free, allowing money to be spent on other positions

I see he is refusing to play for Charlton to avoid injury because he has a big move lined up this summer.

If rumours are to be believed its us that are waiting. Wouldn't be surprised if Aribo's put in a good word.

I think he'd be a cracking signing. 30 years old but has been a late developer, far better player than Kamberi, he's also a big unit and much more suited to the loan striker role than Defoe. He also knows the Scottish game having been at Falkirk and Partick Thistle in the past.

Ideally we'll play 2 up front next season and he could partner Morelos. At the very least its a more exciting option than the likes of Lyndon Dykes.

If we play 2 upfront then Morelos won't be here. He's not shown any suitability in any 2 up formation. That doesn't suit his style nor play to his strengths.

I agree that 2 up is what we should be playing and would be content to cash in on Morelos to allow us to have suitable players for the roles.

I've seen him a couple of times & looked OK without being outstanding.

Not the right age, would want too much money & seems to have an attitude problem so that would rule him out.

If Morelos stays we need one other striker, if he goes we need 2.

Don’t see the issue in bringing in someone like LT to push AM on.

I think Morelos needs more competition to keep him pushing on. As good as Defoe can be, he hasn’t got the legs to run as much as AM does and it’s been seen a lot that we need AM to turn players and run at goal. Defoe can’t do that.

Latest posts

Back