Wes on Open Goal

Apparently quite critical of Gerrard and the club.

Which is a shame as he left with his head high.
He wasn’t bud. Said Gerrard coming was massive as were his standards. His only moan was us not being able to get him a move due to price we wanted which is completely understandable. PS nearly quiz time

mentally challengeds having been doing that shite for years.
Did you want them to stand up and thump him?
It doesn’t happen and probably never will.
Try and be realistic.
Players react they’ll be the bad ones you ignore it. It’s happened on both sides for years, the idea they should’ve done something is mental that’s exactly what they want

People are quick to throw the Scum games into the equation with WF but they need to remember as well the defence playing in front of him was brutal.
There’s folk slaughtering him and he hasn’t even said anything wrong a strange place but Dalglish gets praised on here

A bit frustrating we were unable to get a fee.

Wish Wes all the best though, was a decent keeper but not on the same level as McGregor.

Worth a listen. Comes across as a good guy, interesting to hear his take on the Warburton situation.

A very good keeper too, hopefully he gets a decent club now.

He wasn't helped by the players in front of him but you never felt safe with a shot from distance with him.

Him posting pictures of himself in an Old Firm defeat summed up the loser mentality a lot of our players have had since we got back. Good back up keeper to have though.

Decent listen, but Ferry is simply awful. That shitey accent means I’ll never like him or his ilk

They get some good guests on but his interview technique (if you can call it that) is horrendous.

More interested in who got pished, who's the biggest joker in the dressing room kinda stuff.

Especially the bit when he said he could turn on someone in mid conversation. Heard the Wallace story a few times but didn't realise how bad he got tore into him especially as the guy was being marked by Barton!!

Says a lot about that team - and its lack of spine - that people stood around as an imposter like Barton tore a strip off the club captain having made an error himself.

I couldn't see that happening in Gough's day...

Hopefully he gets a decent club for himself and enjoys the rest of his career. Played well when called upon the last couple of seasons after playing behind some very poor teams prior to that.
He was no Goram, Woods or Klos but he was far better that Bell, Simonsen, Maxwell etc.

Didn't ever hear a complaint from him about being number 2 and I'm guessing he could never outshine Greegsy for the top spot in training. Hope he manages to get a number 1 spot, maybe in EFL 1 or something.

They get some good guests on but his interview technique (if you can call it that) is horrendous.

More interested in who got pished, who's the biggest joker in the dressing room kinda stuff.
Yeah its in no way a good podcast at all. Aims itself at a certain demographic I suppose so hey ho

Finally got round to watching this today. Get the feeling he’s not too fond of Gerrard and his management style, which surprised me.

Not gonna be easy to be a back up goalie, but there seemed to be some animosity there with how it was managed.

He wasn't helped by the players in front of him but you never felt safe with a shot from distance with him.

Him posting pictures of himself in an Old Firm defeat summed up the loser mentality a lot of our players have had since we got back. Good back up keeper to have though.
He never though

Good keeper wasn’t helped with the defence in front of him in some games.
Nor Warburton not working on defensive set-pieces.

I always felt we were more likely to lose a goal from a corner than a penalty - it was THAT bad!

Thats what the show is about. Its not serious or professional, its a laugh with mates. Hence why he gets such good guests.

There is plenty outlets that are more serious if you prefer that.

Thats what the show is about. Its not serious or professional, its a laugh with mates. Hence why he gets such good guests.

Can’t believe some people don’t get It. Open Goal is not trying to be the Athletic. I prefer the lower league guests they tend to have funnier stories. Clint Hill was great, very honest. Compare that to more serious outlets were it is the same soundbites again and again.

It puts me off though. I want to listen to what the guest has to say not him.

Wes was unfortunate in the fact mcgregor is a better keeper and its not a position that is rotated very often and they don't get that many long term injuries

I wish him well wherever he goes

I was at that game, Preston v Swindon.

It was without doubt one of the funniest things I've witnessed.

Watching Di Canio going tonto on the sideline not just for the Wes indcident but for the whole game was worth the admission money alone.

I remember it happening at the time but didn't realise for ages after we signed him that it was Foderingham involved.

Di Canio just appears a total cock constantly. He was hilariously out of his depth at Sunderland. Wes makes a point in his interview about how his approach to management was never going to work in the EPL e.g. telling players on £50k a week what they can and can't eat and treating them like shit.

Let’s be honest he was never Rangers class,he done well in the championship but every team in the league had him sussed in that first year back in the premiership. Shoot on sight and there was a good chance it was going in.

Wasn’t particularly a big fan of Wes as a player. Never really had much confidence in him when he played but I can’t fault him on anything he says. Seems a very likeable big guy.

I think at the time we signed him Fod was as good a keeper as we could get but in time was edged out by a better one.

I like big Wes and wish him all the best in his next club.

Also don't mind Simon Ferry either too. It's a good listen with just people talking and having a bit of a laugh. Some questions he asks gives you a more human aspect of the people involved when you're used to them talking like they do in press conferences. He's clearly going for the Jimmy Bullard type of role in Scottish football.

Back