First Europeam Memory

Listening to a report on the radio of a 3-0 defeat away to Dukla Prague.

It was our first European game i almost two years and as a boy I had convinced myself that we were going to win the ECWC again that year.

I also laboured under the mis-apprehension that the previous season was the first time that we had failed to qualify for European competition.

It was only in the last few years that a poster corrected me.

I suspect it was @rangeral

Listening to a report on the radio of a 3-0 defeat away to Dukla Prague.

It was our first European game i almost two years and as a boy I had convinced myself that we were going to win the ECWC again that year.

I also laboured under the mis-apprehension that the previous season was the first time that we had failed to qualify for European competition.

It was only in the last few years that a poster corrected me.

I suspect it was @rangeral

@Steve Snedden

sorry wasn't me that corrected you on that

My 1st European memory was the Dynamo Kiev beamback in 1987

1st European game in person the said 2nd leg of that match

The Parma game in 1999. I remember seeing it on tv in Belgium (not live but the highlights) because at that time Italian football in general was seen as one of the powerhouses of club football.

Scottish football wasn't really known to anyone apart from the obvious two clubs but that was the game that peaked my interest in Rangers. Then it took me about 8 years to visit Ibrox for the first time against Stuttgart and never looked back :)

My first European game was the defeat to Strasbourg in 97.

Gattuso scores a really good goal ( I think his first for the club ) but we were poor. Remember thinking that Goram was rubbish for both goals they scored

Rangers 2-2 Marseille got me into football. Loved that season as a 6 year old, and watched the Rangers 5 in a Row Video about 50 times the following season!

V's Monchengladbach in 73, 3-0 down from the 1st leg so the tie was basically over, still over 40K at Ibrox for the 2nd leg.

First competitive Euro game was against Stade Rennes in 1971, a 1-0 win (another big game goal from wee Doddie) putting us through to the 2nd round & on the road to Barcelona. I was 13 and in the Main Stand with my Dad.
Was at a friendly against Moscow Dynamo at Ibrox in 1970, which I think was to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the 1945 game. We won 1-0 big DJ scoring if I remember correctly.

This was my first European match. Was there with dad, uncle and grandad. Was so looking forward to going the next round, either my mum put her foot down and said its too late, or my dad wanted a few halfs before the game. I'm pretty certain it was the latter

FC Twente or Zurich mid 70's cant remember which was first. Foreign teams always seemed to have cracking looking shiny adidas football strips under the Ibrox floodlights

My first European game was Shellbourne at Ibrox can't remember anything of the game apart from the score. First game I can remember being at was Parma at Ibrox when we beat them 2-0 a game I will never forget for the rest of my life.

I was only nine but I remember Rangers v Torino in 1971 and wee Doddie scoring the winner.
The atmosphere was electric. I remember being on my dad’s shoulders. It was magical and I couldn’t believe we beat the Italians.

Gornik Zabre, late 80's. My first game at Ibrox, came up the stairs to my seat in the Broomloan. Wow, blew me away, the wide open space, all those people. Hooked ever since

1992/93 season. The day after we beat Leeds utd my dad gave me the day off school just because we were the British champions :))

Lilistrom 1979, think it was only the second match in the new Copland Road stand, was in Copland rear that night.

1976 v FC Zurich, goal down in a minute, took us to late in the game to equalise. Lost the second leg to go out

I remember he had one of his mazy nights, but sure it was only as a second half substitute.

Fleck scored 3 but nobody talked after the game about anything other than the Godlike genius of Davie Cooper.
Memory is a bit hazy as old age creeps in, but was that not the night of Teds fresh air shot?

Dukla Prague early 80s for me, think we were scudded 3-1 away, and at home lost an early goal to make it near impossible but the bears battered them the whole game but unfortunately 2-1 was the final score but what a performance from us

1978 juventus ,psv,cologne, remember our bus broke down at Ayr on way home ended up getting home from their in black cab taxi that was from juventus game they were great nights under the lights to remember

30th October 1996, vs Ajax. Lost 0-1 I think it was Patrick Kluivert's first game back after hitting someone with his car. Also my and my older brothers first game going up with the Sheffield and District Loyal and they've not managed to swerve us since. Great wee club run by good people.

My first European "memory" was my dad finding out on the radio, that Standard Liege had gubbed us in Belgium.

He was no happy. I hadn't a clue (too young), but I got the impression he thought we'd win or draw that game.

He was probably right - Belgian football in the 60's !!!

First memory is of us playing Dortmund in 1966. My uncle was painting our house and the TV was in a different room. I think the first European game I attended might have been against Dundalk.

I'd been to loads before it but I remember practically the whole of Ibrox clapping gothenburg off the park and Stensaas being absolutely terrible

Remember being aware of the AEK Athens debacle in 1994. It was right at the start of me following the team as a 7 year old (wasn’t interested beforehand). An uncle had gone to the away leg, also recall certainly the second game being referred to on the news and the goals being shown.

I have memories of watching the extended highlights of the Anorthosis Famagusta match at Ibrox in 1995. My faither had taped them for me, as he did with the league matches (I’d be in bed when they were on). I’m sure that game was live on STV, so I think at that period I must have not had the attention span to watch it all.

First memory of watching us in the flesh is the 1999 CL qualifier v Parma. I’ll never forget that!

First competitive Euro game was against Stade Rennes in 1971, a 1-0 win (another big game goal from wee Doddie) putting us through to the 2nd round & on the road to Barcelona. I was 13 and in the Main Stand with my Dad.
Was at a friendly against Moscow Dynamo at Ibrox in 1970, which I think was to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the 1945 game. We won 1-0 big DJ scoring if I remember correctly.
Identical memories except I was in the East enclosure for the Rennes game

Back