Rangers propose "B" teams as part of reconstruction

I think this is a great idea and will no doubt produce more players for all clubs across the spl if they take up the 6 loan rule.

The money part is just a sweetener to get it off the ground

We need to get 51% of the club's on our side, right now we only have 33%.

We can't take a "%^*& the lot of them" stance if we want change, we need to win the middle ground clubs over"
51% for what purpose ?

Not for a civil action against the SPFL we don't . In fact we dont need any support at all to raise a legal action against the SPFL . We can certainly look at the vote fiasco , general corporate governance and the fact we have suffered a material loss due the renegotiated sky deals as cause to go to court .

i believe that ship has sailed as the longer we leave it , the less likely it appears .

I don’t agree with this., I don’t think it would be very appealing to smaller clubs. As much as we might scoff at the level, they have as much right to their own competition and the rivalries that go with it without us treating it as a training ground.

Besides, we should be dismissing any attempt at reconstruction out of hand. It strikes me as hypocritical that on one hand we call it a sham, aand on the other we go along with it. I’m bitterly disappointed the club now seem willing to agree to a 14 team league.

The club would be better off spending it time and resources building a legal case to challenge the poets being handed the title.

Words can’t express how angry I’m feeling right now. We need to stop this pathetic attempt to be seen as ‘doing the right thing’. The one club that remains disadvantage is us.

Or do we come out of it having built alliances? That is what is needed to get anywhere in Scottish football these days.

I am just asking the question.

I suppose it would help with developing our younger players for the 1st team so I can imagine our coaching staff being keen on that idea. But I suspect funding the parasites and benefiting others for that will not be appreciated amongst our support just now.

You have to wonder sometimes.

We need to be seen as leaders in Scottish football, a club that has the best interests of the game in mind.
This proposal shows every club in the SPFL, and clubs in the Highland and Lowland leagues, that Rangers are forward thinking and innovative. We, as a club, have risen above self interest. We want football in Scotland to be successful.

Rangers are not the problem. The board of the SPFL are not fit for purpose, and I believe CFC* have been caught flat footed.

This is about another stage in the battle to reform control and governance. Someone needs to take leadership here and do something that will work. The Partick Thistle situation is just not acceptable in any sport. Hearts isn’t really acceptable either. League positions should be won and lost in the pitch

colt team’s would add to the lower leagues and give extra old firm games. Definitely a good support to player development.

Lot to agree with in this proposal. It is also fair to the Highland and Lowland leagues. It is fair to football and instead of justfixing Hearts it offers long term benefit to football.

As an aside,

I think a Rangers Colt team in the lower leagues would help the club massively in the long term. Especially, if the colts can rise as high as the Championship.

1. Youths v Youths doesn’t prepare players adequately. It’s extremely difficult to give youth players game time in the first team. Stephen Kelly at Ayr has had a good season but I don’t think he’s coming back next year to challenge for a starting spot. He needs another loan. A colt team allows us to hold on to youth players longer to see how they mature from 17-21 in competitive football.
2.We generate no income from youth player sales. Hardie and Jordan Thompson are doing ok down south. The crop, that are quite able to make the grade at us could be sold to clubs down south if they impress, as opposed to the usual model of releasing them.
3. The players who are good enough come in and play for the first.
The colt team showed in the cup that we are able to compete. Played well against ICT.

This is about another stage in the battle to reform control and governance. Someone needs to take leadership here and do something that will work. The Partick Thistle situation is just not acceptable in any sport. Hearts isn’t really acceptable either. League positions should be won and lost in the pitch

colt team’s would add to the lower leagues and give extra old firm games. Definitely a good support to player development.

Lot to agree with in this proposal. It is also fair to the Highland and Lowland leagues. It is fair to football and instead of justfixing Hearts it offers long term benefit to football.

If we are serious about this then it should start the season after next not in 7/8 weeks when it will be poorly prepared and rushed through just to save Hearts.

Also the optics of Rangers having to negotiate with Neil Doncaster weeks after he called Douglas Park a liar and Lawwell called the dossier embarrassing will frankly be appalling.

Our enemies will rightfully laugh at us having talks with these two after what's gone on over the spring.

I believe CFC* have been caught flat footed.

How do you come to that conclusion ?

they’ve been handed a title .

their placemen are still in situ and see no legal sction
lawwell and the SPFL are publicly congratulating each other

the SPFL are plugging 10 in a row for next season

Our dossier was branded embarrassing by Celtic and park called a liar but Rangers proposal also sees Celtic get a colts team in the professional set up .

not too bad for being flat footed or am I missing something ?

It will get rejected for 2 reasons,

1 It denies the bottom 6 a lucrative old firm home game

2 it is a rangers proposal

Or do we come out of it having built alliances? That is what is needed to get anywhere in Scottish football these days.

I am just asking the question.
I really cant see how. The lower league teams will see us as arrogant, and there are teams in the SPL who would continue to hate us even if we found a cure for Coronavirus. Hearts and Cally are the only two I can see who might view us favourably, and their both on board with us already.

I think its down to our boards desire to be the good guys, always wanting to be seen doing the right thing. And whilst I recognize I dont have the right to question them, if our coaches actually think its a good idea to play against hacking journeymen every week instead of class opposition their own age who then I fundamentally disagree

When are journalists going to question the role Doncaster has at the Spfl ? Shouldn’t he be the one coming out with ideas and plans to deal with this situation. All he does is ask for ideas while he sits back. When is he going to be questioned on the actual reality of the Sky deal which is not going to benefit the clubs as much as has been suggested and the payment to BT has yet to be sorted. This man is paid handsomely and is not doing his job.

Our dossier was branded embarrassing by Celtic and park called a liar but Rangers proposal also sees Celtic get a colts team in the professional set up .

It really is effin unbelievable we even suggest this. What the fk are the people currently running the club thinking with this nonsense?

Have to say I am absolutely disappointed with the possibility that Rangers are riding to the rescue of the corrupt SPFL with this plan.

Hearts reconstruction plans lie in tatters so court action is almost guaranteed, the SPFL board crapping themselves and we ride to their rescue.

I'm gutted.

Rangers do something the club have pushed for for years and can benefit us for a long time to come and you're gutted?

Remember we didn't bring the dossier to club's eyes to stop the filth being awarded the league. That was always going to happen. We did it to try and remove the scum from the top of the SPFL. They said "meh" when it came to a vote but more clubs backed us than we expected.

However, at the time of the corrupt Easter vote, as it was the only thing to talk about and it was fast moving in the beginning, where clubs were putting out statement's daily. Now things have slowed down quite a bit and we haven't put out a statement in a number of weeks, a lot of fans see this as us "surrendering".

In reality the fight going on in the SPFL right now is not ours with regards to Hearts clawing to stay in the SPFL.

To everybody who are bashing the board, remember this. The SPFL/Celtic NEED the new season to kick off on time (1st Aug) was the date mentioned. Shameless FC are so desperate that they want the fixtures released ASAP, after the article the other day.

As long as there's a "reconstruction plan" on the table, then what Shameless FC want can't happen.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Why do the mentally challengeds need the season to start on 1st august mate?

Not for me.

We should be having nothing to do with the SPFL until there is a clear-out.

Looks like we've been found wanting...

Except we play in the SPFL and are trying to win it.

And as others have said we need allies to get rid of the executive as the has been recently shown.

Rangers do something the club have pushed for for years and can benefit us for a long time to come and you're gutted?
How does it benefit us? Playing young boys against hacking journeymen out to make a name for themselves does seem beneficial to me? And before you hit me with the toughen them up line, i'd much rather they learn to play actual football that avoid crippling tackles. Something the development team were doing sucessfully already playing sides outside this country.

If you want a reserve team then do it properly by setting up a reserve league. You dont hijack other teams competitions. Thats just pure arrogance.

It really is effin unbelievable we even suggest this. What the fk are the people currently running the club thinking with this nonsense?

Unless this is part of a grand strategy we cannot yet see , this shouldn’t have happened and we should’ve went to court with or without support .

the events of the last 8 years tells me there’s no strategy in place and “keeping our powder dry” is just a delusional fantasy spouted by posters in the hope all the wrongs that have befallen our club will be put right .

Yip, I'm gutted. It is all a matter of opinions and mine is getting rid of the corruption within the SPFL board supersedes a Colts team in the lower leagues, especially so at this time when we known dodgy dealings have taken place over the past few months.

How does it benefit us? Playing young boys against hacking journeymen out to make a name for themselves does seem beneficial to me? And before you hit me with the toughen them up line, i'd much rather they learn to play actual football that avoid crippling tackles. Something the development team were doing sucessfully already playing sides outside this country.

If you want a reserve team then do it properly by setting up a reserve league. You dont hijack other teams competitions. Thats just pure arrogance.

Take a look at any of Craig Mulholland's comments pushing it over the last few years. Read Pep Guardiola's views on the importance of B team football for Barca's young players.

Reserve football is pointless. Boys playing in games with no consequences against a team who also face no consequences.

Isn't it arrogance thinking that the same thing that has failed so comprehensively over the last 30 years is suddenly going to start delivering? There's a reason why virtually every major football country in Europe has some variation of Colts allowed in the professional league system.

The battle was lost under Murray many years ago. That's when Celtic got the Nolan partnership to decide who was being interviewed for senior SFA/SPL jobs.
This season was lost because in the 10 league matches in 2020, we averaged 1.7 points per match and a gd of +0.5, whereas in the 1st 19 league matches in 19/20 season we averaged 2.6 points and a gd of + 2.2. We also lost Hearts in the cup. I hope SG has learned from this.

Reactions: GF1
Yip, I'm gutted. It is all a matter of opinions and mine is getting rid of the corruption within the SPFL board supersedes a Colts team in the lower leagues, especially so at this time when we known dodgy dealings have taken place over the past few months.

Club have given up on that already. As I said on another thread a few days ago, there's a lot of people setting themselves up to be very disappointed in that regard.

Reactions: GF1
Listen to any of the comments from Craig Mulholland over the last three or four years as he's repeatedly made the case for Colts in the league.

at the expense of Celtic being handed a league title , their placemen still in situ , 10 in a row being plugged by the SPFL , lawwell telling us what a great job Doncaster’s doing ?

Next season just watch as we end up on the wrong end of poor decisions , off side goals , Morelos unfairly targeted and dubious red cards .

that’s what happens when you don’t face up bullies

at the expense of Celtic being handed a league title , their placemen still in situ , 10 in a row being plugged by the SPFL , lawwell telling us what a great job Doncaster’s doing ?

Next season just watch as we end up on the wrong end of poor decisions , off side goals , Morelos unfairly targeted and dubious red cards .

that’s what happens when you don’t face up bullies

We've already given up that fight - and agreed to end the season early knowing fine well that meant handing the title to Celtic.

I've seen poor decisions, off-side goals and dubious red cards in games involving christ knows how many teams this season. It's not something unique to us.

We've already given up that fight - and agreed to end the season early knowing fine well that meant handing the title to Celtic.

I've seen poor decisions, off-side goals and dubious red cards in games involving christ knows how many teams this season. It's not something unique to us.

Pretty unique to Celtic, though.

Dubious , I should’ve said outright cheating

it Cost us our first major trophy in 8 years and numerous points last season . A red card handed to Alfie in the 95th minute of 4 extra minutes in the last OF game saw him go off the boil .

When Doncaster and co saw what they got away with to hand Celtic the title , wait till we see what’s in store for us next season .

in normal times a colts team is a great idea . These aren’t normal times and we shouldn’t engage with the SPFL in any capacity .

this board looks weak

Dubious , I should’ve said outright cheating

it Cost us our first major trophy in 8 years and numerous points last season . A red card handed to Alfie in the 95th minute of 4 extra minutes in the last OF game saw him go off the boil .

When Doncaster and co saw what they got away with to hand Celtic the title , wait till we see what’s in store for us next season .

in normal times a colts team is a great idea . These aren’t normal times and we shouldn’t engage with the SPFL in any capacity .

this board looks weak

So did missing a penalty and being wank against 10 men.
A red card the club had no complaints over after he acted like a dick.
If we don't engage with the SPFL in any capacity now, we're never going to get this opportunity again to push through what we want in Colts.

When are journalists going to question the role Doncaster has at the Spfl ? Shouldn’t he be the one coming out with ideas and plans to deal with this situation. All he does is ask for ideas while he sits back. When is he going to be questioned on the actual reality of the Sky deal which is not going to benefit the clubs as much as has been suggested and the payment to BT has yet to be sorted. This man is paid handsomely and is not doing his job.

Lawell seems to have BT on a piece of string. He will sort that side of things out.

Competitive football might be good for the boys, but given what sort of physical challenges we faced down there (and refs looking away), you fear for the youngsters' health as well as our ability to actually field a squad for the day.

So did missing a penalty and being wank against 10 men.
A red card the club had no complaints over after he acted like a dick.
If we don't engage with the SPFL in any capacity now, we're never going to get this opportunity again to push through what we want in Colts.

A red card handed out when the game should’ve finished by then ?

just the three Celtic players offside for their League cup goal

A penalty handed to them in the league match that we didn’t get for a similar offence in the same game

the behaviour of officials last season certainly gave weight to out poor efforts in the league

court action and removing the mentally challengeds could’ve ushered in a fresh start for Scottish football that includes colts teams and a revamped youth league .

this proposal , no matter how much we might want it , also has us assisting Celtic . After all their shenanigans we look impotent

now thats the scenario right there.

just to add upteen legal reps from 3 different clubs say a good case in a court of law likely, yet we do our enemies bidding. no wonder we are seen as weak and are laughed at.

The battle was lost under Murray many years ago. That's when Celtic got the Nolan partnership to decide who was being interviewed for senior SFA/SPL jobs.
This season was lost because in the 10 league matches in 2020, we averaged 1.7 points per match and a gd of +0.5, whereas in the 1st 19 league matches in 19/20 season we averaged 2.6 points and a gd of + 2.2. We also lost Hearts in the cup. I hope SG has learned from this.

Couldn't have put it better myself. At the end of the day the players threw away the league exactly how you describe it. We were abysmal after the break again for 2nd year in a row. This gave them the opportunity to do what they did. If we had kept winning then maybe it would have been us handed an asterisk title or perhaps they would have finished the league? Who knows, but it is done now and the club clearly aren't interested in legal action. Even the teams that have been relegated look to be accepting it now.

I think wether we like it or not restructuring is happening. Seems Rangers probably realise that now. When that clown Doncaster publicly asks what would make teams agree to a 14 team league it was basically asking teams what they want. If it's going to happen we may as well get something for us out it

Take a look at any of Craig Mulholland's comments pushing it over the last few years. Read Pep Guardiola's views on the importance of B team football for Barca's young players.

Reserve football is pointless. Boys playing in games with no consequences against a team who also face no consequences.

Isn't it arrogance thinking that the same thing that has failed so comprehensively over the last 30 years is suddenly going to start delivering? There's a reason why virtually every major football country in Europe has some variation of Colts allowed in the professional league system.

It works in places like Spain cause they have better quality of pitches, weather and more money. I'm not sure a 17 year old would learn from much from being kicked about the pitch by a 26 year old Elgin City player in the middle of winter.

Also given the physical nature of the league and poor playing surfaces injuries could be a really problem.

Then we have the question of the fans basically having to subsidise the new set up at a time we are being asked to buy tickets for Scottish cup, League cup, Europa league, Season tickets plus new kits etc.

The cost for Rangers to buy these tickets will be directly or indirectly passed on to us at a time when the whole world will see a probable recession.

It's just a bad idea on so many levels at this point in time.

Club have given up on that already. As I said on another thread a few days ago, there's a lot of people setting themselves up to be very disappointed in that regard.

do you have an informer or is this your opinion? as the best itk I know says different.

my opinion is we have rolled over, but i have been told otherwise by the most respected on here without naming names

If we can get a colts team with our youngsters playing against grown men and with 3 points at stake, this is only going to help us blood youngsters more ready for our 1st team than ever before.

It works in places like Spain cause they have better quality of pitches, weather and more money. I'm not sure a 17 year old would learn from much from being kicked about the pitch by a 26 year old Elgin City player in the middle of winter.

Also given the physical nature of the league and poor playing surfaces injuries could be a really problem.

Then we have the question of the fans basically having to subsidise the new set up at a time we are being asked to buy tickets for Scottish cup, League cup, Europa league, season tickets plus new kits etc.

The cost for Rangers to buy these tickets will be directly or indirectly passed in to us at a time when the whole world will see a probable recession.

It's just a bad idea on so many levels at this point in time.

To quote Craig Mulholland after the Colts lost to Stenhousemuir in the Challenge Cup - "Boys will have learned more in that 90 minutes than they will in an entire season of Development League games."
They'll be playing on the same pitches they do in reserve games and challenge cup fixtures so not sure I see anything in that argument at all.
Fans are happy to subsidise out youths through Rangers Lotto etc, why would this be any different?

Last edited:

We didn't agree to end the season though. We voted against it.

Back