Calvin Bassey signed

4-year deal:

Rangers had to beat the likes of West Ham and Bayer Leverkusen to the signing of the defender who can play left-back or centre-back and was out contract at the KP Stadium.

Bassey is eligible to play for England, Italy and Nigeria and will join Rangers when the transfer window opens this summer.

He was valued at around £3m but Rangers have managed to get him for a fraction of that due to the cross border compensation rules.

Apparently Bruce Archer ran a story on him signing last night but missed it completely looks like a cheap back up Left back for development

RANGERS are delighted to announce the pre-contract signing of Calvin Bassey from Leicester City.

The highly-rated 20-year-old defender has made the decision to join the Gers on a four-year-deal with Rangers paying training compensation to Leicester after Bassey decided to make the switch from the Midlands across the border to Scotland.

Italian-born Bassey, who can play as a left back or centre back, is also eligible for Nigeria and England, and will officially become a Ranger when the transfer window opens.

Speaking about his new signing, manager Steven Gerrard said: “There was a lot of clubs interested in Calvin and for us it’s pleasing to secure the services of another young talent.

“He’s a strong and dynamic athlete who is very much the modern day full back. He will develop further and we are excited to have made another strong addition to our group.

“He’s left-footed, physically powerful and enjoys driving forward and is certainly equipped to thrive in the combative nature of Scottish football. We continue to look ahead to next season and Calvin is another positive addition as we continue to build the strength and depth of our squad.”

Sporting Director, Ross Wilson underlined his delight at securing the signing, adding: “Calvin has a really bright future and we are pleased to have attracted him to Rangers.

“The scouting staff identified him at the end of last year and Steven and I have been tracking his situation extensively since then. His ability to play as a full back and centre back will provide us with new depth defensively and doing that was one of our primary targets for this summer.

“He is a young man bursting with enthusiasm and positivity and I know how excited he is to be continuing his journey under the guidance of Steven and the staff.”

Calvin Bassey commented: “I am delighted to join Rangers and secure my future at a club of such stature. When I entered talks with Rangers, I knew this club was right for me. Of course I am thankful for everything Leicester has done for me and I am now very excited about working under Steven Gerrard and his coaching team to continue my progression.

“I have heard about the amazing atmosphere at Ibrox. I can’t wait to start pre-season and take my career to the next level in the famous blue Rangers jersey.”

Back