Calvin Bassey signed

I’m sure we played LCFC youths a couple of years ago at Ibrox.

He could have been playing then.

IIRC, they beat us comfortably.

He said on the video that he played at Ibrox before.

They scudded us 6-1.

He played. Was known as Calvin Ughelumba before the name change

A squad filler to start the summer spending post Hagi (albeit one that was going to be needed as cover for Barisic). Let’s hope we sign at least 4/5 first team starters on top of any other squad fillers we’re signing. Another summer of squad fillers isn’t going to cut it.
Maybe he is a squad filler. But I guess I like the idea of someone like this guy who seems to have a lot of upside potential as opposed to , say, a 33 year old who is only going downhill.

I feel Borna definitely had moments in his first season where he toiled with the physical aspect of Scottish football. Hence the fallout with Gerrard. But he has done brilliantly to redeem himself to Gerrard. I'd say there are still lingering doubts with Gerrard about Borna's mentality to deal with the physical side of Scottish football.

Either way, hope this lad provides great competition to Borna. Didn't mean to have a bash at Borna at all, who I think is class.

It's a bit of a wanky comment to make about someone you apparently think is class.

We're not "giving up" anything, we're being calculated and working towards being the best that we can be in every area.

Rangers can be a big European player again, teams with smaller followings from similar sized leagues have done it. We won't achieve that by signing 30 year olds as cover, we do it by having a forward thinking recruitment model.
Rangers can focus on being a big European player again once we’re back to dominating domestically. Until then, anything in Europe is nothing more than a bonus. I and many others would accept going out of Europe in the qualifiers if it guaranteed a league title every year. That’s what we’re built on, domestic success.

Ok.

Unless you have a spare £50m to donate, Rangers aren't signing a better LB than Barisic.

Why sign someone with no hope of first team football over someone who could potentially become just as good?
We signed barisic for £2m. We could probs spend £2m on the right player.

Anyway my comment was relating to your point about rangers fans being happy about just winning the league every year. We need to get players in who can hit the ground running this year, no room for error.

I agree that these players are smart business. However this is for 2 or 3 year down the line.

I love how we’ve kitted him out in Castore gear for the interview. I can’t wait till our new retail deal starts.

Rangers can focus on being a big European player again once we’re back to dominating domestically. Until then, anything in Europe is nothing more than a bonus. I and many others would accept going out of Europe in the qualifiers if it guaranteed a league title every year. That’s what we’re built on, domestic success.
Europe is absolutely essential to having any hope of domestic success. Our board and manager have said this so many times that I can't believe people haven't caught on.

It's not a bonus, it's how we get there.

With Barisic as first choice this is the type of signing you want. Young guy, well regarded, not too expensive but with loads of potential. Might never become a world-beater, but I'd rather see us make signings like this over Flanagan type ones.

Exactly right.

Seems like a very astute signing to me. Cover in the right area. Young. Potential to develop. Oh...and secured in a cheap cross border deal too.

I’m sure we played LCFC youths a couple of years ago at Ibrox.

He could have been playing then.

IIRC, they beat us comfortably.

He did play that night.

We signed barisic for £2m. We could probs spend £2m on the right player.

Anyway my comment was relating to your point about Rangers fans being happy about just winning the league every year. We need to get players in who can hit the ground running this year, no room for error.

I agree that these players are smart business. However this is for 2 or 3 year down the line.
I said they'd be happy winning the league every other year and doing absolutely nothing else.

That would be fine if that was where our ceiling is but it's not, it's actually much higher than that.

Welcome to Rangers, the most successful club team in the world. Give us your best and you can become a legend and a great career.

I am somewhat underwhelmed by this signing.We have never heard of him. never seen him play.Is this the calibre of signing that will stop the 10 in a row. ?
If what i read is true he rejected West Ham and Bayer Leverkusen to play in the Scottish League !!

I hope that I am completely wrong and he proves to be a great player for us

Europe is absolutely essential to having any hope of domestic success. Our board and manager have said this so many times that I can't believe people haven't caught on.

It's not a bonus, it's how we get there.
Good thing we’ve done well in Europe the last two seasons then. Should mean we’ll win the league this coming season if performance in Europe is how we get back to winning the league.

See tbh Rangers should be challenging domestically and on the continent. The league is the priority but Europe shouldn’t just be regarded as a bonus. We need that money so we can eventually cement our position at the top and for Rangers to be respected on the continent.

EDIT: Don’t get me wrong, give me the league over the round of 16 in Europa. Although I think Europa groups should always be the minimum requirement

Good thing we’ve done well in Europe the last two seasons then. Should mean we’ll win the league this coming season if performance in Europe is how we get back to winning the league.
That's it mate, 2 years of UEL money means we should absolutely be able to topple a decade of them having access to UCL and UEL money.

You're not living in reality.

See tbh Rangers should be challenging domestically and on the continent. The league is the priority but Europe shouldn’t just be regarded as a bonus. We need that money so we can return to the top and for Rangers to be respected on the continent.
Let’s be honest though, if we won the next 10 titles in a row and done nothing of note in Europe, not a single person on here would care would they?

That's it mate, 2 years of UEL money means we should absolutely be able to topple a decade of them having access to UCL and UEL money.

You're not living in reality.
What’s the reality then? How long does this model of yours run for before we win something domestically again? 15 in a row? 20 in a row?

This sort of signing makes perfect sense. Much rather than this than some Liverpool left back on loan as back up.

He's our player. Different if we were taking him on a 12 month loan and getting no long term value or benefit for it.

We can watch this kid develop knowing full well we'll reap the rewards if it works out.
Point taken but what about the Athletic piece that told us there was a realisation within the management team that they has signed too many players without enough experience?

Let’s be honest though, if we won the next 10 titles in a row and done nothing of note in Europe, not a single person on here would care would they?
Someone's forgetting all of the abuse Walter got during 9iar for being awful in Europe.

I’m not saying we can. Just said it can’t be another summer full of squad fillers. Ones like this where we need some cover is fine but we need to sign 4/5 first team starters as well as Hagi.
What, we can't just improving her team every summer we aren't Bayern Munich.

Rangers are delighted to announce the pre-contract signing of Calvin Bassey from Leicester City.

The highly-rated 20-year-old defender has made the decision to join the Gers on a four-year-deal with Rangers paying training compensation to Leicester after Bassey decided to make the switch from the Midlands across the border to Scotland.

Italian-born Bassey, who can play as a left back or centre back, is also eligible for Nigeria and England, and will officially become a Ranger when the transfer window opens.

Speaking about his new signing, manager Steven Gerrard said: “There was a lot of clubs interested in Calvin and for us it’s pleasing to secure the services of another young talent.

“He’s a strong and dynamic athlete who is very much the modern day full back. He will develop further and we are excited to have made another strong addition to our group.

“He’s left-footed, physically powerful and enjoys driving forward and is certainly equipped to thrive in the combative nature of Scottish football. We continue to look ahead to next season and Calvin is another positive addition as we continue to build the strength and depth of our squad.”

Sporting Director, Ross Wilson underlined his delight at securing the signing, adding: “Calvin has a really bright future and we are pleased to have attracted him to Rangers.

“The scouting staff identified him at the end of last year and Steven and I have been tracking his situation extensively since then. His ability to play as a full back and centre back will provide us with new depth defensively and doing that was one of our primary targets for this summer.

“He is a young man bursting with enthusiasm and positivity and I know how excited he is to be continuing his journey under the guidance of Steven and the staff.”

Calvin Bassey commented: “I am delighted to join Rangers and secure my future at a club of such stature. When I entered talks with Rangers, I knew this club was right for me. Of course I am thankful for everything Leicester has done for me and I am now very excited about working under Steven Gerrard and his coaching team to continue my progression.

“I have heard about the amazing atmosphere at Ibrox. I can’t wait to start pre-season and take my career to the next level in the famous blue Rangers jersey.”

Can you not just post the link and let rangers get the hits?

Probably a good idea making a signing like this cheap and can develop over time we already have the best left back in the league we're better leaving spending the big money to be spent on players that will make the starting 11 for us

What, we can't just improving her team every summer we aren't Bayern Munich.
If we don’t improve the current side, we’ll not win the league again next season. We either improve it, or accept they’ll win the title again. I know what option I’d rather.

What’s the reality then? How long does this model of yours run for before we win something domestically again? 15 in a row? 20 in a row?
5 years ago we had to build a youth academy from scratch.

2 years ago we had to build a completely new squad and a proper scouting network from scratch.

I don't know how much time you're willing to concede but I don't think 3 seasons is a particularly unreasonable ask.

Their "streak" is completely meaningless

It's a bit of a wanky comment to make about someone you apparently think is class.

No apparently about it. I think technically Borna is class. Best SPFL left-back this season.

I'll take that it probably was a wanky comment. Too easy to be flippant on here. I think last season, there were a lot of people calling him a shitebag, so I'm not going to go all revisionist on that. Gerrard thought the same and was shipping him out the door until Borna pulled him for that famous chat - it's well documented. The turnaround has been brilliant to see.

The point I was trying to make (badly) was competition is good at the end of the day so let's hope this boy really pushes for the spot. He seems like a more robust option.

We're not "giving up" anything, we're being calculated and working towards being the best that we can be in every area.

Rangers can be a big European player again, teams with smaller followings from similar sized leagues have done it. We won't achieve that by signing 30 year olds as cover, we do it by having a forward thinking recruitment model.

Have to agree Necro, it's a lot smarter for us to sign a low cost, highly rated player who can play multiple positions and potentially produce a good profit for us going forward. No point taking a risk on say Barry Douglas for example with his injuries recently.

Sounds like he has good potential and let’s hope that comes to fruition but he ain’t a starter and that’s where we need to get going.

%^*& me finally left sided cover for left back and for a pittance. What could be wrong with this deal. Even if he is a dodoo we will probably make a profit.

5 years ago we had to build a youth academy from scratch.

2 years ago we had to build a completely new squad and a proper scouting network from scratch.

I don't know how much time you're willing to concede but I don't think 3 seasons is a particularly unreasonable ask.

Their "streak" is completely meaningless
Okay, let’s agree to disagree. Any season they win the league and we don’t isn’t meaningless to me personally, but each to their own. Hope I eat my words and apologise to you in 5 years time when we’re winning the CL littered with the best young talent in Europe.

Fans might let it slide easier but I think plenty would care most of fans best memories is travelling on a European away day a feeling that was missed greatly until Gerrard got us into the later stages of the Europa League

No one will have shirley. No doubt someone will be along soon though.

From reading around he does seem well rated. A few years back he was the youngest player during the UEFA Youth Champions League. Played for the U19s when he was 16. Looks like a unit anaw.

calvin-basseyughelumba-of-leicester-city-in-action-with-joe-adams-of-picture-id1052300938

Welcome big Cal! Wonder if the fee is an actual transfer meaning we've made him a genuine target and wanted him, or if it's the youth compensation and he's a bit of a (hopefully successful) punt.
:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

I am somewhat underwhelmed by this signing.We have never heard of him. never seen him play.Is this the calibre of signing that will stop the 10 in a row. ?
If what i read is true he rejected West Ham and Bayer Leverkusen to play in the Scottish League !!

He is back up to borna and a long term project. Hagi is the level of first team player we will most likely target.

How can you even form an opinion about the player if you've never heard of him or seen him play, let alone be underwhelmed?

You say 'we' have never heard of him - by 'we', I assume you mean the average FF punter, because the club have obviously been scouting him for some time and clearly like what they see.

Back