Calvin Bassey signed

I'm half an hour in to the u23s game from Youtube.

He looks reasonbly quick and can pass the ball cleanly.

Had to tell how he is though as most of the Liverpool play is going in the wide forward areas. I'd say he does look like a left back playing at CH though given his positioning at times. Just made a great interception at a cut back on 32 minutes though.

You'd have thought Edmundson would still be ahead of him in the pecking order at CH.

He’s not going to walk into the starting XI so it’s a squad filler.
Have you seen the lad play?Do you know much about him?I would hope he has been brought here to push for a starting position.I couldn’t tell you if he’s good enough to start or not so if you have info I’d love to hear it.

Good signing, left back isn’t an area we need to buy a first team player. We only needed to replace flanagan and Halliday and I think we have done that. Having this guy to improve as the season goes on will only be good for competition. If we sell barisic next season after the euros for a decent price then it would be good to have the replacement already there

Helander, Kent and Aribo cost less than Bolingoli, Taylor and Klimala cost Celtic and I doubt you've even heard of the last name.

We did sign too many squad fillers during the summer but let's not pretend that we didn't also do some very good business.

Morelos, Kent, Aribo, Hagi, Kamara, Katic, Edmundson and now Bassey are all 24 or younger and are all already worth more than we've paid for them

I'd suggest Kent isn't at the moment.

Is this another work in progress , which basically means we pay 6k a week to train ; maybe get ten mins here and there and then punt in January ... we need top class talent tried and tested
Top class talent tried and tested doesn't go to Scotland unfortunately.

I would also love to get experienced players in with a winning mentality but they cost money.

I'd suggest Kent isn't at the moment.

Excellent young player has a bit of an inconsistent period and we have fans coming out with this pish.
I think the quality of his goals v the filth and Braga, and his undoubted potential confirm that Kent will prove to be money well spent, unless the global economy collapses completely!

And welcome to The Rangers big Shirley, looks to be a great piece of business and badly needed competition for Borna.

Is this another work in progress , which basically means we pay 6k a week to train ; maybe get ten mins here and there and then punt in January ... we need top class talent tried and tested

Barasic covers that for this position. We need top class talent in other positions above left back.

Why does every player we sign have to be there for the sole purpose of stopping 10iar? He's a 20 year old player we've signed from a Premier League academy, fairly obvious he's not going to be the sole signing we make to stop 'the 10' tbh. He's natural cover for Borna and someone we are aiming to develop. If we are sitting here in September with only Hagi and Bassey signed, then I think you'd have a point but this is just conjecture on your part at the moment.
This 'stop the 10' pish really gets me.

I remember laughing at the mentally challengeds when they played Rosenborg and read their team out with Harald Brattbakk announced as 'he scored the goal that stopped 10 in a row'.

Not the goal that won them the title in 1998, but the goal that prevented us winning.

Excellent young player has a bit of an inconsistent period and we have fans coming out with this pish.
I think the quality of his goals v the filth and Braga, and his undoubted potential confirm that Kent will prove to be money well spent, unless the global economy collapses completely!

And welcome to The Rangers big Shirley, looks to be a great piece of business and badly needed competition for Borna.
Gets a hard time due to the price we paid he's got a goal every 3 games and his secondary assists are good he is getting better and will continue to improve

What's "pish" - is he's worth more than we paid for him?

This kid sounds like one of the best young left back talents in Britain. With Chilwell potentially leaving Leicester, he was probably lined up as his replacement yet he’s picked us. That speaks volumes for the club and for Gerrard.

The new season can’t come quickly enough.

Looks good business, really it’s a no brainer at that sort of money. With Ross Wilson overseeing the scouting department now, you would like to think there’s more to come, time will tell if he’s an upgrade on Halliday / Flanagan, he’ll get my backing!

What's "pish" - is he's worth more than we paid for him?
Yes, I think he'll prove to be a good investment.
The desperate need for some fans to find negativity everywhere is wearing.
Probably the same guys that start shouting abuse 5 mins in when a young player makes an error.

Read this thread back and you'll find that I'm not negative in anyway with regards to Shirley.

Necro, however, stated that Kent is now worth more than we paid for him - which is utter bollocks.

I'd be delighted if that turns out to be the case going forward but it patently isn't the case at this moment.

Delighted we have a natural young back up left back signed for the squad . Halliday was okay sometimes but he wasn’t a natural lb and Flanagan was so right sided he gave me the fear there . Look forward to seeing him develop with Wilson overseeing everything I have total faith in him

Read this thread back and you'll find that I'm not negative in anyway with regards to Shirley.

Necro, however, stated that Kent is now worth more than we paid for him - which is utter bollocks.

I'd be delighted if that turns out to be the case going forward but it patently isn't the case at this moment.

It's not patent, it's your opinion, and I'd agree with Necro. We certainly won't sell Kent this window if we are offered 7M.

Back