Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

I never knew Louis Armstrong played at Ibrox.
10th May 1962, anyone attend?
PRR9N99.jpg

Can't say I know anything about the player Morrison in the front row beside Alex Scott. Was he at the club long?

Before my time, and very little is known about him.
Bobby Morrison ( an Inside Forward/Midfielder) was signed by Scot Symon on Jan 10th 1957, from Falkirk in a straight swap with Derek Grierson going the other way.
He made his unofficial debut a week later, scoring in a 'Friendly' 3-3 draw v Scotland U-23's at Ibrox.
He made his official Rangers debut at Parkhead in a Scottish Cup tie (on his 24th birthday), and scored the opening goal after only 7 mins.
It was a classic game, with Celtic leading 4-2 with 7 mins left to play, before late goals from Johnny Hubbard (pen), and Max Murray forced a replay.
Celtic would win the replay 2-0 at Ibrox four days later.
Morrison's former club Falkirk, would go on to win the Scottish Cup that year.

Morrison would go on to play in five League games that season, and scored in every one of them.
In May of that year, Rangers would play 3 games to win the Glasgow Merchants Charity Cup, beating Celtic 1-0, Clyde 2-0, and Queens Park 2-1 in the Final.
Morrison scored in both the Semi Final and Final.

A seriously impressive debut season for an Inside Forward, scoring 7 Goals in 7 official Games, which included 6 Goals in 5 League games, 1 goal in 2 Scottish Cup appearances,
and if you add in the 2 Goals in 3 games in the Charity Cup (which was still attracting average crowds of 30,000), it looked like we had ourselves a goalscoring Inside Forward.

Despite such an impressive start to his Rangers career, Bobby Morrison would play only one more game for Rangers, at the start of the 1957-58 season.
On May 1st 1958, Morrison was given a Free Transfer.
He joined English Division One side Nottingham Forest on July 5th.

PS. I think that photo from above was taken on May 1st 1957 for the Glasgow Merchants' Charity Cup match (1-0 v Celtic) at Ibrox.

Before my time, and very little is known about him.
Bobby Morrison ( an Inside Forward/Midfielder) was signed by Scot Symon on Jan 10th 1957, from Falkirk in a straight swap with Derek Grierson going the other way.
He made his unofficial debut a week later, scoring in a 'Friendly' 3-3 draw v Scotland U-23's at Ibrox.
He made his official Rangers debut at Parkhead in a Scottish Cup tie (on his 24th birthday), and scored the opening goal after only 7 mins.
It was a classic game, with Celtic leading 4-2 with 7 mins left to play, before late goals from Johnny Hubbard (pen), and Max Murray forced a replay.
Celtic would win the replay 2-0 at Ibrox four days later.
Morrison's former club Falkirk, would go on to win the Scottish Cup that year.

Morrison would go on to play in five League games that season, and scored in every one of them.
In May of that year, Rangers would play 3 games to win the Glasgow Merchants Charity Cup, beating Celtic 1-0, Clyde 2-0, and Queens Park 2-1 in the Final.
Morrison scored in both the Semi Final and Final.

A seriously impressive debut season for an Inside Forward, scoring 7 Goals in 7 official Games, which included 6 Goals in 5 League games, 1 goal in 2 Scottish Cup appearances,
and if you add in the 2 Goals in 3 games in the Charity Cup (which was still attracting average crowds of 30,000), it looked like we had ourselves a goalscoring Inside Forward.

Despite such an impressive start to his Rangers career, Bobby Morrison would play only one more game for Rangers, at the start of the 1957-58 season.
On May 1st 1958, Morrison was given a Free Transfer.
He joined English Division One side Nottingham Forest on July 5th.

PS. I think that photo from above was taken on May 1st 1957 for the Glasgow Merchants' Charity Cup match (1-0 v Celtic) at Ibrox.

Brilliant info Mo, many thanks.
Giving him a free transfer sounds bizarre!

Brilliant info Mo, many thanks.
Giving him a free transfer sounds bizarre!

Does sound bizarre, 7 goals in 7 games, then 1 solitary appearance after that at the start of the following season, and never to be seen again.
Stayed the whole season in the reserves, and got a Free transfer to Nottingham Forest at the end of the season.
He was at Forest for a year, and made only 1 appearance for them.
Seems like Symon got that one spot on.
We had a young Ralph Brand waiting in the wings, who would go on to score more goals for Rangers than any other player during Symon's tenure.
Similar to Jim Christie, who Symon signed in 61', scored 8 goals in 7 games, then 1 more solitary appearance, before disappearing, never to be seen again.
It does show that Symon was not afraid to drop or move on Players who did not fit in, despite their goalscoring exploits.

It's definitely not Dave McPherson mate. It does look like Cohen but the photo doesn't say.
Just checked in The Complete Record and in July & August 1986, Avi Cohen started 3 friendlies for Rangers against Cologne, Falkirk and Tottenham - he wore 6 in the Spurs game on 2nd August.
That is 100% the match that picture is from.

Didn’t play a competitive game for Rangers that season but joined for 87/88 as a signed player.

Just checked in The Complete Record and in July & August 1986, Avi Cohen started 3 friendlies for Rangers against Cologne, Falkirk and Tottenham - he wore 6 in the Spurs game on 2nd August.

Didn’t play a competitive game for Rangers that season but joined for 87/88 as a signed player.

Great research mate!

Brilliant, that was bugging me!

Great photo : it also made me smile to see Dave Smith in the background with his sleeves rolled up. I remember a game at Pittodrie in the early 1970’s and it was absolutely freezing. The team ran out and there was Dave rolling his sleeves up. It did not matter whether it was summer or the depths of winter, Dave Smith was always there with his sleeves rolled up. Strange how inconsequential events stick in the mind.

Back