West of Scotland Premiership

jamesiewatp

In days gone by everyone would have said Talbot are a certainty but looks like they will have serious competition from Darvel this season as well as Pollok , the buffs etc , be interesting to see how the season pans out

Think Clydebank could surprise a few as well. The boys they've took from Rossvale are very good players and they've got the infrastructure to kick on.

hope in time there is adequate promotion/relegation to Highland/Lowland then League 2 above it

The diddy teams in the SPFL will be terrified of losing their place to some of these teams. But the pyramid needs opened up properly with more movement between leagues.

I really wish the junior/ amateurs got more attention and recognition. Darvels financial muscle seems too much, more informed people than me may be able to answer this, have other teams not tried to finance a winning team and failed ?.

Last edited:
I really wish the junior/ amateurs got more attention and recognition. Darvels financial muscle seems too much, more informed people than me may be able to answer this, have other teams not tried and failed to finance a winning team and failed ?.

I suppose it depends on the commitment of those behind the money. Seen plenty of examples of them walking away after a couple of years and the teams being decimated

League is far to big ( if it ever starts ) I heard Darvel paying silly money to players I wonder if they will buy supporters to , though whatever happened to the enquiry into Talbot being given the league ?? sweep sweep is it

I really wish the junior/ amateurs got more attention and recognition. Darvels financial muscle seems too much, more informed people than me may be able to answer this, have other teams not tried to finance a winning team and failed ?.
im sure irvine meadow went down this route a while ago,and had a little bit of joy, but i think in the long run ,its hard to sustain that level of outlay, then when the guy/guys get fed up or fall out with someone,they walk away and a shitstream usually follows

Irvine Meadow tweeted possible starting in October should be virus regression continue.

Really missing going to Newslandsfield most weeks - even though I just normally drive along myself, it's still a good wee day afternoon out.

Looking forward to this new set up, but can see 'Lok being midtable.

In days gone by everyone would have said Talbot are a certainty but looks like they will have serious competition from Darvel this season as well as Pollok , the buffs etc , be interesting to see how the season pans out
The east of Scotland and one is a very strong league, it’s definitely much better for good competition.

Maryhill , Benburb , Meadow , Hurlford , all spent wads of cash probably a few others it’s really unsustainable unless there’s a wee tax dodges going on

Walked by Newlandsfield during the week-it really is an amazing playing surface. It wouldn’t take a great deal of cash to be invested into the likes of Pollok for them to have a real go at the Pyramid. They are in a great location and both Rangers&Celtic supporters go to watch on the Old Firm away days. For years they have been pulling in attendances that League 2 clubs are jealous of. MTLN

St Cadoc's as well have a lot of money behind them. Hopefully they collapse though as I think it's a mentally challenged school.

They are hoping for an October start date - but could even be earlier.
Darvel throwing about a lot of money - talbot still the team to beat imo.
Not sure how many are being relegated after first year tho - heard might be a good few

Maryhill , Benburb , Meadow , Hurlford , all spent wads of cash probably a few others it’s really unsustainable unless there’s a wee tax dodges going on
I think Tayport went down that route as well. Riding high for a few years then the interest (& cash) waned

im sure irvine meadow went down this route a while ago,and had a little bit of joy, but i think in the long run ,its hard to sustain that level of outlay, then when the guy/guys get fed up or fall out with someone,they walk away and a shitstream usually follows
In Meddas case I think it was their main sponsor going under that started the financial problems.

I think the difference is this time with the backers is that there no glass ceiling preventing progression in the juniors now.

Darvel and seemingly St. Cadocs and Drumchapel all have money behind them. Add them to the traditional big boys like Talbot etc and its an interesting time. For too long theres been deadwood teams stuck in a comfort zone in the bottom ranks of the SPFL/SFL.

Any word on the fixtures and being able to attend?

I'm sure I read fairly recently that Maryhill were struggling badly, where did the cash come from?

I'm sure I read fairly recently that Maryhill were struggling badly, where did the cash come from?
Think he's talking about the past mate. Maryhill are struggling I believe (although just signed a deal with a wrestling company), but in the past during their glory years they were bankrolled a bit.

Think he's talking about the past mate. Maryhill are struggling I believe (although just signed a deal with a wrestling company), but in the past during their glory years they were bankrolled a bit.
Cheers, just thought I'd read that they were struggling, maybe even a suggestion they'd have to leave Lochburn?

Anyway, love the idea of the new set up.
Never thought all those years ago when I was following Petershill there was a chance they'd play in the senior set up.

Over a 100,000 views on Darvel’s twitter page yesterday , must be some sort of record for a non league club in this country

The farcical thing is that the league still allows ground sharing given the amount of fixtures , Cumbernauld ground must be game off 50%of the time during winter

No one seems to know. They've signed a lot of Beith's team from last year. Without a fanbase or a ground of their own though its going to be hard to sustain it you'd imagine.

I'm sure I heard it was one of Celtic's moneymen behind it. Wherever I heard it, the name was also given but I cannot remember for the life of me who.

Irvine Meadow tweeted possible starting in October should be virus regression continue.

Really missing going to Newslandsfield most weeks - even though I just normally drive along myself, it's still a good wee day afternoon out.

What I read online suggests Lok don't quite have the financial muscle these days. Did they sell the social club? Can imagine these new money teams like Darvel and over the next 2/3 years St Cadocs or possibly Drumchapel will out muscle them. I heard Drumchapel were looking to bring in Darian MacKinnon ffs!

I'm sure I heard it was one of Celtic's moneymen behind it. Wherever I heard it, the name was also given but I cannot remember for the life of me who.
Wouldn't surprise me. You'd assume they didn't take the decision lightly to join the pyramid, as they were just a glorified boys club before it. Sharing at St. Ants initially probably indicates which way they lean.

St Cadoc's as well have a lot of money behind them. Hopefully they collapse though as I think it's a mentally challenged school.
A friend of mine runs the kids team and he's a proper bluenose, goes abroad etc
His wee lad is tremendous for his age too. Apparently the mentally challengeds were at him and were told to feck aff

They are hoping for an October start date - but could even be earlier.
Darvel throwing about a lot of money - talbot still the team to beat imo.
Not sure how many are being relegated after first year tho - heard might be a good few

My Son has signed for Rossvale, they are hoping to start games late August/early September..fingers crossed..

Yeah that's what I thought to but they are paying decent money, as much as most SPFL clubs are paying outwith their marquee signings. Got a mate that's with Blantyre and knows a few of their players

Im sure they are for that level but nothing like what is being made out. few hundred max no doubt for their top players nothing close to what Halliday will get elsewhere.

Lok is my local team used to head down often as a youngster think I shall pick things back up this season- always majority Bears that watch them still the case?

Back