Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

No probs B&T.
There is no hearsay being provided as evidence at court.
You must admit that the timing of your post does leave a bit of suspicion.
After all, there has been numerous members been chopped recently.
One cannot be too careful these days.
If you are seriously concerned about the CSA and ongoing issues then I will humbly apologise.

I think my first post on FollowFollow was round about 2002. Not with this username. You're right, I don't post on here a lot now. I'm on Twitter though - https://twitter.com/BluesandTwos_

I once spoke to someone in a face-to-face conversation who had been involved in the original Torbett case, (not a cop/not a witness) many years ago and referenced the McNeil quote and he kinda screwed his face up at me, saying words to the effect of 'be wary of unsubstantiated quotes.' If there was an archive of the Evening Times piece from November 1998 that'd be great but too many people have suggested that it's not verifiable and it's too late in the day to make a misstep - again, if indeed it is.

Neither Stein nor McNeil are still here. Stein though, was culpable and an enabler. That's not in dispute.

I’d better not say mate, if you don’t mind.

Don’t want to stop conviction number eight.

Understood. I just wanted to know if there was a valid reason for them pulling the show from catch-up.

I sometimes wonder though if we if we are going to see deliberate conversations in the media with the intent of influencing/ sabotaging the course of justice. Rhetorical question.

In other RC sex abuse news.
I clicked on it mate, says in the article...

“The allegations have left the congregation stunned.

“Everyone is in complete shock.”
Ur yeez, aye?

I think my first post on FollowFollow was round about 2002. Not with this username. You're right, I don't post on here a lot now. I'm on Twitter though - https://twitter.com/BluesandTwos_

I once spoke to someone in a face-to-face conversation who had been involved in the original Torbett case, (not a cop/not a witness) many years ago and referenced the McNeil quote and he kinda screwed his face up at me, saying words to the effect of 'be wary of unsubstantiated quotes.' If there was an archive of the Evening Times piece from November 1998 that'd be great but too many people have suggested that it's not verifiable and it's too late in the day to make a misstep - again, if indeed it is.

Neither Stein nor McNeil are still here. Stein though, was culpable and an enabler. That's not in dispute.
As I posted, I will humbly apologise for the sniffing post earlier mate.
You can't be too careful these days.
Look on the bright side, your posts are up by more than 10 percent now.

Understood. I just wanted to know if there was a valid reason for them pulling the show from catch-up.

I sometimes wonder though if we if we are going to see deliberate conversations in the media with the intent of influencing/ sabotaging the course of justice. Rhetorical question.
They spoke about a person whose name had to be bleeped out. Surprised they even broadcast it at all when they were unable to name them.

Don’t worry, you’re weel kent in these parts

Not sure if it was a FF myth, but recently this statement want able to be verified. I think it wasDeedle who had tried. It would have been around 2007 Where the inference started, but I think it was a quote of a quote rather than a direct transcript.

Don’t worry, you’re weel kent in these parts

Not sure if it was a FF myth, but recently this statement want able to be verified. I think it wasDeedle who had tried. It would have been around 2007 Where the inference started, but I think it was a quote of a quote rather than a direct transcript.

Thanks brother.

Yeah that was always my understanding. I have a vague recollection of the days on FF when we used to tolerate discussion with Timothy and them managing to draw some blood on the forum during an instance of being unable to verify the McNeil quote. I then defaulted to bypassing the McNeil quote thereafter when engaging with the denialists.

Incredible work you guys have done. The evidence you have produced would ensure justice in any civilised country. Hopefully this evidence will be used to help produce justice for all victims of abuse.
What worries me is complete lack of support the victims receive from the authorities especially the scot government and in particular the minister of justice. This is a man I think would actually go out of his way to prevent justice in this case. His complete ignorance in his attitude to the correspondence from families of victims by not even acknowledging their questions is beyond belief. You have to wonder what his game is. How can the people of Scotland have faith in the legal and justice system when this is what you have to deal with. Can anyone trust this guy to do what he is supposed to do. I don't and never will. Hopefully real justice will prevail and the victims of these heinous crimes will be hammered.
Keep up the good work and lets hope for justice.

What about Gerry McSherry, he was another whistleblower, haven't seen his name re-appear.

I've been waiting and hoping Gerry would appear again when more evidence came to the fore.

I thought that may make it slightly easier for him to do so and also to stir the anger he must still have within him, as he hears more and more heart-breaking stories that could have been avoided had he been listened to/taken seriously at the time.

I still live in hope.

Mate I’ve
There was one on Dumbarton Road, Partick. It was later turned into a Greggs but was vacant for years, may still be.
I believe the property is still owned by Jim Torbett as I saw him and the guy he was in America with going into it a few years ago.
seen same told someone in here about it please get in contact guys who are progressing this as there’s another posting he’s seen same

No, you can 'sniff sniff' away. The concern is that perpetuating unfounded myths will detract from the terrific work that's been AND being done.

You know how the game's played. They'll spot a flaw and say they whole thing is predicated on hearsay.

Spot on.

McNeill never said it was an "open secret"

If he had done so, trust me, the team working in the background on here would have found it.

I'm a stickler for the facts, and there's no evidence of McNeill having said this.

They were obviously advised to plead a seperate entity. Why?. Did an internal investigation actually happen, by professionals used to doing this work. If so what did they find. Maybe way too bad and too high to disclose. This may be their only Avenue of escape. May justice be served on the b@stards
Maybe @celticfc thought they could do a proper enquiry in 2 years,
Maybe it's taking longer cause of the amount of abuse they found
Spot on.

McNeill never said it was an "open secret"

If he had done so, trust me, the team working in the background on here would have found it.

I'm a stickler for the facts, and there's no evidence of McNeill having said this.
Wish it was true about McNeill but as far as we are aware it didn't happen

Said before and I’ll say again there’s a reason that parkhead is I think I’m right in saying, owned by Willie haughey, it completely protects Celtics position from any claim on an asset for whatever reason, shrewd business.

Big John Beattie Knew!

Seriously, the only episode that can't be accessed to listen to again is the one with Pat Nevin on it talking about historical child sex abuse at Celtic.

BBC = shameless cūnts.
Letter.............Letter
Is it a different Johnny Beattie?
Wan fur the auld yin’s :))
I don’t know about yoos but I’m detecting an ominous fear about what’s ahead from the tims I know and I don’t remember feeling so defensive and worried after we won 9IAR they know they’re f&cked and like a Great White I can smell blood.

from The National, so no link:

BBC Scotland’s head of news has been blasted as “defensive” and “evasive” and described as not a reliable witness by the High Court judge presiding over Cliff Richard’s privacy trial.

The veteran pop singer was awarded £210,000 in damages yesterday, after winning his case against the BBC for its coverage of a police raid on his home in 2014.

Gary Smith, who before moving to Scotland was the BBC’s UK News editor, was singled out for criticism by Justice Mann, who said his obsession with scooping his rivals had affected his judgement.

But the corporation hit back, saying they are considering an appeal against the judgement and described it as a “dramatic shift against press freedom and the long-standing ability of journalists to report on police investigations”.
Richard’s home was raided after an allegation that the singer had sexually assaulted a child in Sheffield following a Billy Graham evangelical rally in the 1980s.
He was never arrested or charged.

BBC journalist Dan Johnson had been tipped off about the raid and co-ordinated with police, which allowed him to film it taking place. Smith had signed off on a helicopter to take aerial shots of South Yorkshire Police searching the star’s house in a gated community in Berkshire.
Richard, who was holidaying in Portugal at the time, complained that the footage infringed his privacy. The court agreed with Mann, who seemed surprised by some of the practices of modern-day journalism, saying that while the investigation “might be of interest to the gossip-monger”, there was not a “genuine public interest” case.
He said Smith’s need to get the story out before his rivals, “probably affected some of his judgment at the time, and gave rise to a certain defensiveness in relation to his later conduct”.
“I consider that Mr Smith was unduly defensive, and to a degree evasive, in much of his evidence.”
He added: “I regret that I felt I could not always rely on him as a reliable witness.”

Mann’s verdict, and his insistence that “a suspect has a reasonable expectation of privacy in relation to a police investigation” could lead to a change in what newspapers and broadcasters are allowed to report about ongoing investigations.
In a statement, BBC director of news Fran Unsworth said that while there were things they “would have done differently” they found it worrying that the “judge has ruled that the very naming of Sir Cliff was unlawful.”
She added: “This judgment creates new case law and represents a dramatic shift against press freedom and the long-standing ability of journalists to report on police investigations, which in some cases has led to further complainants coming forward. “
This would mean “police investigations, and searches of people’s homes, could go unreported and unscrutinised,” Unsworth warned.
“It will make it harder to scrutinise the conduct of the police and we fear it will undermine the wider principle of the public’s right to know. It will put decision-making in the hands of the police.”
Richard was awarded £190,000 damages and an extra £20,000 in aggravated damages because the BBC submitted its coverage of the raid for a Royal Television Society award.

This dobber is only in his position as the token Muslim in the Scottish government and is the very embodiment of why positive discrimination is definitely not the way forward for Scotland, people should be in positions of power on merit only and not to satisfy quotas or snow flakes on bandwagons.

This clown is clearly not qualified for the role he is in but it would be seen as racist to remove him at this time.

Seems our Gary has been at the BBC for a long time. Wonder if he was one of the ones criticised for being ITK regards Savile?

Seems he grew up in Glasgow too, I assume he is one of them, given that he works at BBC Scotland.

The BBC's UK news editor Gary Smith has been appointed head of news at BBC Scotland.

He replaces John Boothman, who left the role in June this year.

The director of BBC Scotland, Ken MacQuarrie, said Mr Smith brings with him "a track record of leading and inspiring large teams".

Pete MacRae will continue as acting head of BBC Scotland news until Mr Smith takes up the post early in the new year.

In his current London-based job, Mr Smith runs the home newsgathering team across the UK.

His previous roles have included;

• editor, political news for the BBC
  • assistant editor on the BBC's Nine O'Clock news
  • and programme editor and senior political producer at Channel Four News.
Mr Smith has worked on many major stories, including the fall of Mrs Thatcher; the bringing down of the Berlin Wall; the Dunblane shooting; Pope Benedict's visit to the UK; the hunt for Raoul Moat and last year's Scottish independence referendum.

The 54-year-old grew up in Glasgow and attended Kelvinside Academy in the west end of the city.

Mr Smith studied English at Glasgow University and did a post-graduate journalism course at Cardiff University.

On being appointed to the news role, Mr Smith said: "I've a passion and commitment for providing accurate, clear, informative, honest journalism with integrity and impartiality and after 30 years in broadcast journalism this is the job I've always wanted.

"The story of Scotland in a devolved UK is one of the most important themes of this decade.

"Reporting and analysing this with insight, accuracy and impartiality for audiences both in Scotland and the rest of the UK is one of the biggest challenges faced by the BBC now and in the coming years."

Mr MacQuarrie said: "We had a top class field to choose from but Gary's vision and ambition for where he wants to take BBC Scotland News in future was crystal clear.

"I'm delighted he's heading back to Scotland and I know he'll be a valued colleague."

Of course religious bodies and sports teams should be exempt from national probes into paedophilia.
ffs mate. You can't have a full investigation and include the two main industries involved. It would cost way too much, take too much time, and would impede justice for the victims??? What are you thinking? :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, even typing that had my skin crawling. How the politicians and media in this country can spin this p!sh, live with themselves and look their children in their eyes is beyond me.

Last edited:
SEPERATE ENTITY MYTH

ltic Boys Club - List of Players

Below is a list of some of the players to play for Celtic Boys Club who made the grade at pro level.

A
Roy Aitken, Owen Archdeacon

B
Stuart Balmer, Martin Baker, Jim Beattie, Tom Boyd, Jimmy Boyle, Gary Brady, Alan Brazil, Gerry Britton

C
Kenny Campbell, Peter Canero, Gary Carberry, Jim Casey, Peter Cheney, John Collins, Lee Collins, Dean Connelly, Ronnie Coyle, Danny Crainie, Gerry Creaney

D
Kenny Dalglish, Ray Deans, Billy Dolan, Mark Donaghy, Jim Duffy

E
David Elliot

F
Peter Feeney, Kevin Finnon, Steve Fulton

G
Alex Grace, Peter Grant, Stuart Gray, Mark Guidi (the journo)

H
David Hay, Stevie Hutchinson

K
Stevie Kean, David Kenny, Pat Keogh, Mark Kerr

L
Jim Lauchlan, Ray Lorimer

M
Lou Macari, Sean MacBride, Peter Mackie, Stuart McCaffrey, Dugald McCarrison, Chris McCart, George McCluskey, John McCluskey, Brian McColligan, Tommy McEntaggert, Danny McGrain, Paul McGrillen, Dougie McGuire, Jim McInally, Tosh McKinlay, Brian McLaughlin, Charlie McLean, Mark McNally, Paul McStay, Raymond McStay, Willie McStay, Alex Mathie, Joe Miller, Dougie Mills, David Moyes, Jim Murphy

N
Pat Nevin, Charlie Nicholas, Paul Nicholas

O
Brian O'Neil

P
Toby Paterson

R
Alex Rae, Mark Reid, Andy Ritchie, John Roach, Declan Roche, Kevin Rutkiewicz

S
Peter Sermani, Tony Shepherd, Peter Shields, Barry Smith, Jered Stirling, David Stobbie

T
John Traynor, Gary Twigg

W
Derek Whyte

UCptSJr.png

Some of the work Mr Gary Smith has done throughout the years. Draw your own conclusions.

A former senior figure at Celtic FC’s feeder team played a key role in ensuring that Tommy Burns was appointed manager of the Parkhead side, further undermining claims that the two clubs were separate entities.

It has emerged that Burns spoke of how Frank Cairney, who headed Celtic Boys Club, which has been riven by allegations of systemic sexual abuse, was “instrumental” in him landing his dream job when he was appointed in 1994. Cairney was pictured welcoming Burns to Parkhead in Celtic View, Celtic FC’s official magazine, after Burns replaced Lou Macari as manager.

Legal action against Celtic FC began last week in connection with “insidious” sexual abuse at the boys’ club. The latest revelations appear to contradict Celtic’s position that its feeder club was an “entirely separate” organisation. On July 20, 1994, the club magazine dedicated its back page to the relationship between Burns and Cairney, lauding the latter as “one of the great unsung heroes of the Celtic story”.

The magazine said: “It is because of the support given to him by the former Celtic Boys Club president that Burns is now firmly installed in the manager’s chair at Parkhead. Burns said: ‘Frank was instrumental in me coming here as manager and over the last fortnight has been a fantastic help and a true friend.’ ”

Burns said that Cairney had brought him to the boys’ club as a teenager and had been his confidant and mentor ever since, adding: “He’s given 30 years of his adult life championing the Celtic cause.”

Cairney resigned as general manager of the boys’ club in 1991 immediately after leading 20 teenagers on a tour to New Jersey.

However, the Celtic View confirmed that he was present at Parkhead when news of Burns’s appointment was announced three years later. It made no distinction between the boys’ club and the senior team, stating: “Frank was brought into the Celtic set-up by [the manager] Jock Stein and [the chief scout] John Higgins in 1970. He was entrusted to set up the system which would help the under-16s on to the next step of the ladder. That system has paid off with one of those raw recruits becoming the man in charge of the club.”

A year earlier the magazine published a letter from a family thanking Cairney for organising a tour of the stadium and arranging for them to meet the first-team player Charlie Nicholas.

Cairney replaced Jim Torbett, the founder of the boys’ club, who was jailed for two years in 1998 and for six years in November 2018 for sex attacks against boys who had been in his care.

In January the Crown Office confirmed that Cairney had been charged and was involved in a “live solemn case”. The Times understands that the charges relate to the alleged sexual abuse of young people and that Cairney, of Uddingston, South Lanarkshire, will appear in court within months.

Burns played for the boys’ club in 1970-73 and frequently attended club functions and prize-givings when he went on to play for the senior club and served as manager. He died of skin cancer, aged 51, in 2008.

Last week Thompsons Solicitors lodged papers on behalf of one client who is seeking damages from Celtic FC. The firm, which represents 25 individuals who claim they were molested at Celtic Boys Club over three decades, says that it represents the largest child-abuse scandal in British football. The first test case will be heard at the Court of Session in the coming months.

Celtic FC has said it is very sorry that the abuse took place, but continues to insist its feeder club was a separate entity. It did not respond to a request for comment.

Last edited:
Back