Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

A former senior figure at Celtic FC’s feeder team played a key role in ensuring that Tommy Burns was appointed manager of the Parkhead side, further undermining claims that the two clubs were separate entities.

It has emerged that Burns spoke of how Frank Cairney, who headed Celtic Boys Club, which has been riven by allegations of systemic sexual abuse, was “instrumental” in him landing his dream job when he was appointed in 1994. Cairney was pictured welcoming Burns to Parkhead in Celtic View, Celtic FC’s official magazine, after Burns replaced Lou Macari as manager.

Legal action against Celtic FC began last week in connection with “insidious” sexual abuse at the boys’ club. The latest revelations appear to contradict Celtic’s position that its feeder club was an “entirely separate” organisation. On July 20, 1994, the club magazine dedicated its back page to the relationship between Burns and Cairney, lauding the latter as “one of the great unsung heroes of the Celtic story”.

The magazine said: “It is because of the support given to him by the former Celtic Boys Club president that Burns is now firmly installed in the manager’s chair at Parkhead. Burns said: ‘Frank was instrumental in me coming here as manager and over the last fortnight has been a fantastic help and a true friend.’ ”

Burns said that Cairney had brought him to the boys’ club as a teenager and had been his confidant and mentor ever since, adding: “He’s given 30 years of his adult life championing the Celtic cause.”

Cairney resigned as general manager of the boys’ club in 1991 immediately after leading 20 teenagers on a tour to New Jersey.

However, the Celtic View confirmed that he was present at Parkhead when news of Burns’s appointment was announced three years later. It made no distinction between the boys’ club and the senior team, stating: “Frank was brought into the Celtic set-up by [the manager] Jock Stein and [the chief scout] John Higgins in 1970. He was entrusted to set up the system which would help the under-16s on to the next step of the ladder. That system has paid off with one of those raw recruits becoming the man in charge of the club.”

A year earlier the magazine published a letter from a family thanking Cairney for organising a tour of the stadium and arranging for them to meet the first-team player Charlie Nicholas.

Cairney replaced Jim Torbett, the founder of the boys’ club, who was jailed for two years in 1998 and for six years in November 2018 for sex attacks against boys who had been in his care.

In January the Crown Office confirmed that Cairney had been charged and was involved in a “live solemn case”. The Times understands that the charges relate to the alleged sexual abuse of young people and that Cairney, of Uddingston, South Lanarkshire, will appear in court within months.

Burns played for the boys’ club in 1970-73 and frequently attended club functions and prize-givings when he went on to play for the senior club and served as manager. He died of skin cancer, aged 51, in 2008.

Last week Thompsons Solicitors lodged papers on behalf of one client who is seeking damages from Celtic FC. The firm, which represents 25 individuals who claim they were molested at Celtic Boys Club over three decades, says that it represents the largest child-abuse scandal in British football. The first test case will be heard at the Court of Session in the coming months.

Celtic FC has said it is very sorry that the abuse took place, but continues to insist its feeder club was a separate entity. It did not respond to a request for comment.

So not only was he still involved, he had influence on decisions made by the club. Unbelievable.

It really is astounding to think that he was possibly allowed to continue there, albeit unofficially.

I've been waiting and hoping Gerry would appear again when more evidence came to the fore.

I thought that may make it slightly easier for him to do so and also to stir the anger he must still have within him, as he hears more and more heart-breaking stories that could have been avoided had he been listened to/taken seriously at the time.

I still live in hope.

I'm not sure he's been keeping great recently TS.

Its sickening to go from reading this thread to seeing a Daily Record lying there with a headline 'Celtic hope for open door flag day". Not one rag is covering these absolute revelations, one which should have every journalist banging on the doors of Lawwell and co. But no, lets all have a big party for a title they didn't win and pretend everything is rosy. Shameless

As juicy as the info before our eye’s to connect both clubs together,this info is electric and builds an idea to the outside looking in how everything worked.

It’s once in court I expect the proper fireworks,and believe me there will be,they will have their own “shock and awe” moments.

We may have to wait a little longer,but trust me it will be worth the wait.

Every day more and more interviews are being set up and emails sent,new info and angles to exhaust and slowly parts of the UK further afield are taking notice.

They will always be known as the “the paedo club and their story and day is coming”

NOTHING can and will stop it now!

Seems our Gary has been at the BBC for a long time. Wonder if he was one of the ones criticised for being ITK regards Savile?

Seems he grew up in Glasgow too, I assume he is one of them, given that he works at BBC Scotland.

The BBC's UK news editor Gary Smith has been appointed head of news at BBC Scotland.

• editor, political news for the BBC
  • assistant editor on the BBC's Nine O'Clock news
  • and programme editor and senior political producer at Channel Four News.
Mr Smith has worked on many major stories, including the fall of Mrs Thatcher; the bringing down of the Berlin Wall; the Dunblane shooting; Pope Benedict's visit to the UK; the hunt for Raoul Moat and last year's Scottish independence referendum.

The 54-year-old grew up in Glasgow and attended Kelvinside Academy in the west end of the city.

Mr Smith studied English at Glasgow University and did a post-graduate journalism course at Cardiff University.

On being appointed to the news role, Mr Smith said: "I've a passion and commitment for providing accurate, clear, informative, honest journalism with integrity and impartiality and after 30 years in broadcast journalism this is the job I've always wanted.

I went to Kelvinside Academy (90-96) and c.10% of the boys were RC. Privately educated RCs tend to go to St Als. Further, he is more likely to be a rugby man than into football.

Their approach of attempting to 'loophole' themselves out of this through the 'separate entity' bs is beyond abhorrent. They are spitting in the faces of victims.

I do hope this court case is a step forward in bringing some closure and remedy to the victims. Justice is never an exact art, but it needs to hit that organisation hard. We must not forget that we all have a roll to play in that by making it clear to any company that associates with them that we do not wish to associate with that company.

All down to the dedicated graft of the team/group on here on behalf of Cellic's victims.

Salute you all G.

Restored faith.

The team are far from finished mate. Really good to see media people from England wanting
to get involved in this.

We always knew, as a team, what the media were like up here, not to mention wee
Krankie & her convicted Justice Minister, so they'll be exposed on a national level
in the months to come.

The team are far from finished mate. Really good to see media people from England wanting
to get involved in this.

Krankie & her convicted Justice Minister, so they'll be exposed on a national level
in the months to come.
I'd just like to add my thanks to the team for all the hard work put in which does now seem to be reaping dividends

What would I like to see?

1. Justice for the victims
2. Closure for the victims, well nigh impossible I know but one can but hope
3. Suitable punishment for CFC. Closing them down would be appropriate but that will not happen. In any case, thrown out of the league and having to re-apply for membership.
4. A European ban for them for at least 5 years
5. Removal of BJK statue
6. SNP named and shamed and put before a tribunal to explain their actions
7. Not worried about SMSM as nature is taking its course with these morons
8. The compliant SPFL and SFA completely thrown out and replaced with people interested in furthering the interests of Scottish football
9. Official recognition of the great work put in by the team on here.

Truly astounding work by the team on here. Compare and contrast the mhedias forensic analysis in order to find one paragraph on 'Neely'. A mountain of evidence ignored by them, damning their favourite 'club'.
I don’t think it's a coincidence the SFA cover up is delayed. Our guys are so far out in front with irrefutable evidence it's probably invalidated the report.

to get involved in this.

in the months to come.

Their positions will be untenable after this has played out.

Said before and I’ll say again there’s a reason that parkhead is I think I’m right in saying, owned by Willie haughey, it completely protects Celtics position from any claim on an asset for whatever reason, shrewd business.

I wonder if this protects anyone making a claim on it? Although his name may be on the "paperwork", surely lawyers arguing the case for taking it as part of the Celtc assets If required would need to see receipts for upkeep/ bills for maintenance etc? If the maintenance etc is in Celtc name then surely this shows they are in part "Owners"?

to get involved in this.

in the months to come.

Your team have done a grand job GY.

I hope justice is on the way for the victims. I really hope they get it. But I'll be honest, as there seems to be little appetite to even speak about the goings on there in Scotland. The wagons will be circled to try and limit the damage should any adverse verdict come Shameless FCs way.

Keep up the good work.

to get involved in this.

in the months to come.
great to hear g y , I hope the media from outside this cesspit rip the smsm to shreds for their involvement in covering up this vile clubs sordid deeds.

I'd just like to add my thanks to the team for all the hard work put in which does now seem to be reaping dividends

What would I like to see?

1. Justice for the victims
2. Closure for the victims, well nigh impossible I know but one can but hope
3. Suitable punishment for CFC. Closing them down would be appropriate but that will not happen. In any case, thrown out of the league and having to re-apply for membership.
4. A European ban for them for at least 5 years
5. Removal of BJK statue
6. SNP named and shamed and put before a tribunal to explain their actions
7. Not worried about SMSM as nature is taking its course with these morons
8. The compliant SPFL and SFA completely thrown out and replaced with people interested in furthering the interests of Scottish football
9. Official recognition of the great work put in by the team on here.

If this was England your points 1 to 8 would probably be actually achievable, given the detail behind that club's behaviour.

We don't need or want point 9. We are just decent guys & gals trying to get justice for people who a whole sordid cult have abused &
ignored in what is a candidate for the most bigoted & backward
country in the western world.

I wonder if this protects anyone making a claim on it? Although his name may be on the "paperwork", surely lawyers arguing the case for taking it as part of the Celtc assets If required would need to see receipts for upkeep/ bills for maintenance etc? If the maintenance etc is in Celtc name then surely this shows they are in part "Owners"?

not claiming to be knowledgible about these things but a similar thing is in my work - operating company pays the maintenance etc but the parent company owns it

BUT the operating co pays fees to the parent co

if thats not being done here, it might collapse that argument

not claiming to be knowledgible about these things but a similar thing is in my work - operating company pays the maintenance etc but the parent company owns it

BUT the operating co pays fees to the parent co

if thats not being done here, it might collapse that argument

The parent co clearly got benefit - in youth players moving up. You can't have the benefit without responsibility.

Back