Club Statement

I suspect this is the case too, so I understand why us and Castore are taking the relatively calm positions we have.

It’s a bit like having the choice of Graham Norton either shagging you up the arse or wanking you off. You’d rather choose neither, but if you had to you’d pick the latter, as ultimately that mainly benefits you far more than it benefits him, unlike the former.

I think my analogies need work.

Somewhat disturbing thoughts Bro

The statement was in reaction to mass hysteria online. Imagine your own replies had the club not clarified things.
I think that’s hyperbole. I can only speak for myself, but my posts have been considered and measured. This hasn’t been handled well, and that’s not because 20 folk online jumped to a conclusion.

Unless Castore can keep a constant flow of stock on their site then its not an issue. If come the 1st Aug and they don't have stock for sale and SD do, then this is where the problem kicks in.

Unless it is contractual, there is not one reason to be dealing directly or indirectly with SD.

I keep seeing people talking about this potential lack of stock - it’s like some folk are absolutely desperate for it to happen so they can come on FF and have a wee cry about it.

Castore have given no indication that they’re anything other than completely prepared so far. The purchase process yesterday was - and I totally stand by this - the easiest and quickest process I’ve ever had purchasing anything online.

You honestly think Castore are going to stock SD before restocking themselves?
I do believe that SD had the exclusive rights amongst other retailers for a bit but it was also looking as if they were also going to have exclusive time over us in the retail sector as our store wasn't scheduled for opening until the 15th but that has now been rectified.
Nice wee bit of overtime for the Shopfitters. :D

I think that’s hyperbole. I can only speak for myself, but my posts have been considered and measured. This hasn’t been handled well, and that’s not because 20 folk online jumped to a conclusion.

20? It was mental on here last night and I assume it was the same all over Twitter and other platforms.

As others have said it’s a fairly obvious situation. If you don’t want to buy from Sports Direct then don’t.

Seems pretty simple to me - don’t buy from SD.

They’re just another retailer who can choose to stock our kits or not, genuinely no big deal to me.

I fully understand Castore’s position as well. I imagine they don’t want to set a precedent of Rangers being able to tell them who they can and can’t sell to. It would be quite a dangerous precedent to set for a up and coming premium clothing brand.
Carstore will be looking to get into the epl market and probably some of the championship sides as well.like it or not sports direct is the biggest sport retail outlet in the UK and carstore will have to show they can produce the volume to stock retailers the full length of the UK to be able to attract epl clubs.
It’s not rocket science buy on line or the rangers store or other sport retailers in you don’t want SD to profit from selling our jerseys

I wonder if one of the agreements in the apparent truce between Rangers and SD was that SD would be given High Street exclusivity by Castore. This would allow Rangers to honestly state that they weren't dealing with anyone but Castore while at the same time allowing SD to get some continued benefit from Rangers merchandise sales. To be honest, I'm completely fine with this arrangement. I'm sure the large majority of us won't be buying from SD but even those who do will still be benefiting the club. Many will disagree but it's probably not a bad thing that our shirts will be stocked by the largest sports retailer in the UK.

I sent Castore a DM on Instagram last night to ask when they will have more kits available to buy. They said more kits were coming soon and they will have a ‘mid August’ delivery date.

The obvious concern here is that means you’ll need to wait to mid August if you’re ordering online from Castore but SD will have them in stock from August 1st!
This is the concern. Other outlets, not just SD, sitting on stock whilst Castore have nothing to make available on line. I hope they are more clued up than that. MA is a rat. He's always got an angle.

What hasn’t been handled well? Our position was clear from all the interviews etc. Sports direct putting something on Facebook to cause a reaction caused all this. Our position never changed. Some people just go mental over everything. They forget that football is ultimately meant to be fun and enjoyed.

Honestly don't know mate.

There's others on here who have a far better handle of our merchandise than me.

Would certainly make sense to have it ready for the kit launch.

It's vital we do. The only other place to have physical stock on that date will be SD. The delivery date for Castores second batch of online is mid August (the original no opening date for the Ibrox Store). We have been caught on the hop and trying to rush it open now to prevent SD having a 2 week monopoly on the sales. Sure, on August 1st you could order online from Castore, but you could literally be holding the strip if you went to the fat man's shop.

I get that we get paid either way, but the optics would be awful if on physical launch day the only place to pick up and try on a Rangers shirt was SD.

The Ibrox Store must absolutely be open

Carstore will be looking to get into the epl market and probably some of the championship sides as well.like it or not sports direct is the biggest sport retail outlet in the UK and carstore will have to show they can produce the volume to stock retailers the full length of the UK to be able to attract epl clubs.
It’s not rocket science buy on line or the Rangers store or other sport retailers in you don’t want SD to profit from selling our jerseys

Agree with all that DB. Sadly they are a big retailer, vast in numbers of outlets. I’m not sure you’ll see anything other than Rangers kits though, I don’t think Castore will want to associate anything else in there as it’s totally out of place from a price point of view.

It’s not rocket science to say ‘don’t buy from SD’, you’re absolutely correct. There’s no defence for it at all. You don’t need to have a Twitter or FF log in to not know that either, absolutely no time for that argument. Anyone who doesn’t realise that they shouldn’t buy from SD is, quite frankly, a fucking idiot.

What hasn’t been handled well? Our position was clear from all the interviews etc. Sports direct putting something on Facebook to cause a reaction caused all this. Our position never changed. Some people just go mental over everything. They forget that football is ultimately meant to be fun and enjoyed.

I said it in an earlier post (appreciate there’s a lot of posts, and I’m not special...)
All Castore had to say in the fan media they did was ‘we will aim to leverage on the high street at a fair price for us and Rangers, that could include SD’. Then SD’s post is irrelevant. They knew SD was a live issue, they stressed that the reason they’d be great is we are their only football club so they can get the nuances. They left a massive open goal for SD if that’s what’s happened.

It's vital we do. The only other place to have physical stock on that date will be SD. The delivery date for Castores second batch of online is mid August (the original no opening date for the Ibrox Store). We have been caught on the hop and trying to rush it open now to prevent SD having a 2 week monopoly on the sales. Sure, on August 1st you could order online from Castore, but you could literally be holding the strip if you went to the fat man's shop.

I get that we get paid either way, but the optics would be awful if on physical launch day the only place to pick up and try on a Rangers shirt was SD.

The Ibrox Store must absolutely be open

That story about the store opening mid August came from RM.

Rangers & Castore are delighted to confirm the new Ibrox Retail Store will officially open on 1st August 2020, which will be operated by Castore as the clubs official retail partner

Do you honestly think SD are going to be full of Rangers strips and merchandise?

They'll have a small section, just like they have for Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool etc.

They aren't a major player in our distribution.

Castore are well aware 95% of Rangers supporters won't buy from them, so why would they give them masses of stock?

Castore are our merchandise partner, not SD.

No chance they'll be giving SD stock priority.

I don't believe they will either.

What people seem to be missing is the fact this was all set off due to SD claiming they had "exclusive" rights to selling the strip.

That's why people are getting their panties in a twist. SD are just another store who would be selling the strip but the damage appears to have been done and folk are losing their mind....

I said it in an earlier post (appreciate there’s a lot of posts, and I’m not special...)
All Castore had to say in the fan media they did was ‘we will aim to leverage on the high street at a fair price for us and Rangers, that could include SD’. Then SD’s post is irrelevant. They knew SD was a live issue, they stressed that the reason they’d be great is we are their only football club so they can get the nuances. They left a massive open goal for SD if that’s what’s happened.
Why mention sports direct though? They are a large sports shop who can stock our stuff if they choose to. That is their right. We have no deal with them now. That’s what matters. I couldn’t care less if they stock our top. I try not and shop there because of how awful a company it is in general not just the rangers stuff.

That story about the store opening mid August came from RM.

Rangers & Castore are delighted to confirm the new Ibrox Retail Store will officially open on 1st August 2020, which will be operated by Castore as the clubs official retail partner

What you have quoted was last night's 9pm statement following us getting caught pants down. The shop was never going to be ready for then. We've been scrambling to make sure we can get it done after realising SD would be the sole outlet stocking our kit on the high street on the 1st.

Nowhere else will you see 1st August quoted by Bisgrove, Robertson, Castore or anyone else prior to last night's reactive statement

I don't believe they will either.

What people seem to be missing is the fact this was all set off due to SD claiming they had "exclusive" rights to selling the strip.

That's why people are getting their panties in a twist. SD are just another store who would be selling the strip but the damage appears to have been done and folk are losing their mind....

SD never at any time claimed to have exclusivity. They said it would land exclusively on the 1st with them. And if we don't open our shop on time then that's what will happen. Other stores will get kit but not on day one.

Do you honestly think SD are going to be full of Rangers strips and merchandise?

They'll have a small section, just like they have for Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool etc.

Castore are well aware 95% of Rangers supporters won't buy from them, so why would they give them masses of stock?

Mate, you have a serious problem of being too sensible

Spot on MU.

Castore can’t even consider the possibility of being seen to be favourable towards SD, or the thunderstorm of shit they’ll face would genuinely damage them.

I do believe that SD had the exclusive rights amongst other retailers for a bit but it was also looking as if they were also going to have exclusive time over us in the retail sector as our store wasn't scheduled for opening until the 15th but that has now been rectified.

Exactly right. I think it's a teething issue with Castore. We hadn't clicked this was a possibility. Still, if you don't live near Glasgow please order online on 1st August from Castore and wait for delivery. Do not enter SD.

Sports direct are now the customer! They have no power left with us.
If you want them to stop selling our strips - never step foot in their stores or log in to their website!!
These are good times for us!!

The only issue with this (not you or your comment) is that if stock is sold out or selling out elsewhere then people will buy them from SD as the supply is there

You honestly think Castore are going to stock SD before restocking themselves?
This thread is full of lunatics. Imagine a grown man thinking that Castore have sold out the XL sizes online, but will then manufacture for SD to sell these sizes.
Strips will be available from 1st August, that gives Castore 4 weeks to manufacture more.

Buy from the Club/Castore as first port of call but if, for whatever reason, you can't purchase from there then purchase from Greaves.

If you can't purchase from any of those then hold off until you can!

I think the release yesterday was a master stroke in terms of ensuring stock remains constant during the main release, there won’t be any problems with going directly to Castore and/or the new Rangers Store.

Why mention sports direct though? They are a large sports shop who can stock our stuff if they choose to. That is their right. We have no deal with them now. That’s what matters. I couldn’t care less if they stock our top. I try not and shop there because of how awful a company it is in general not just the Rangers stuff.

Why Sports Direct? Because it's a live issue with the support, because to not mention it and then have what happened yesterday leaves it open to interpretation and a 'cover up'. I understand what they're saying the position is now and I'm like you, I'll never shop there again and haven't now in years. We as a support have been taken for mugs time and again over the years, the current board and Castore both made grand statements about being led by fans feelings, the ultimate care should have been taken to ensure that, and in this case it hasn't.

There's shades of grey here, me saying I don't think it's been handled well doesn't mean I want the board out, or I'm a panty wetter, or a mentally challenged, as some on 'your side' of the argument have also hysterically been saying. I just don't think they've handled it well, and its sown a little bit of mistrust.

I don't understand why the club cant just come out and say, "we have no further connection with SD".

For some reason they have avoided doing this. We know we are in a partnership with Castore, but that doesnt mean we dont also have an ongoing deal with Ashley as well. Why on earth would Rangers (or Castore for that matter) want SD stocking the kit? I thought part of this deal with Castore was about expanding online retail and opening a small number of stores?

If SD can offer the kit as well, they will likely sell it cheaper which means a lot of people will buy it there regardless, benefiting Ashley. Whereas, if you can only buy it through Rangers or Castore the profit is higher.

I think it's probably because every contract ever signed with SD comes wrapped in NDAs. We know from bitter experience that even answering questions at the AGM is difficult.

The club have tried to address the issue as best they can without mentioning SD. Because they can't mention SD they can't really cover the specific concerns raised. It's frustrating but I think it has to be taken at face value, as difficult as that is with our history.

As long as this is just SD trolling and they are one of many retailers I'm fine with it.

My worry was that it might be the start of another legal rights war. Whilst the club hasn't/ couldn't address that directly I'm more comfortable than I was. Though if I was the club or Castore I'd still be asking outside lawyers just to double check the facts on SD not still holding some claim through some clause or legal judgement.

That makes sense. We’ve pushed ahead with the refit to make sure they don’t even that limited exclusivity then.

I see the advert on my follow follow page is still advertising the old Rangers top for sale. Be a shame if sports direct was left with a few thousand.

Last edited:
Said it earlier but I doubt if Sports Direct will stock much Rangers gear. Will Ashley sell gear for the benefit of Rangers and Castore. If I were the Castore guys I would be very wary of any dealings with him.

SD never at any time claimed to have exclusivity. They said it would land exclusively on the 1st with them. And if we don't open our shop on time then that's what will happen. Other stores will get kit but not on day one.

Erm, you just sort of backed up what I said.

This thread is full of lunatics. Imagine a grown man thinking that Castore have sold out the XL sizes online, but will then manufacture for SD to sell these sizes.
Strips will be available from 1st August, that gives Castore 4 weeks to manufacture more.
Or people to lose a bit of weight :)

Said it earlier but I doubt if Sports Direct will stock much Rangers gear. Will Ashley sell gear for the benefit of Rangers and Castore. If I were the Castore guys I would be very wary of any dealings with him.
Cashley would sell his granny if there was a penny in it for him.

The only issue with this (not you or your comment) is that if stock is sold out or selling out elsewhere then people will buy them from SD as the supply is there

Rangers will still make money from the sales regardless of where they are sold.

Yes. It'll be open on the day.
I wouldn't guarantee the store being ready for 1st August if SD still hold lease until 31/7. I'd think it more likely the mid August date will be correct and there will have to be some temporary arrangement set up - maybe in concourses at Ibrox.

I wouldn't guarantee the store being ready for 1st August if SD still hold lease until 31/7. I'd think it more likely the mid August date will be correct and there will have to be some temporary arrangement set up - maybe in concourses at Ibrox.
The shop is being fitted right now.

If they don’t open that shop on time for the 1st, the meltdown on here will be something else.

Would you expect a 'premium brand' football shirt to be sold only in Harrods,Selfridges and Harvey Nicks?
Football shirts will always be sold in sports shops no matter who makes them.

I agree it's a difficult situation however Castore market themselves as a premium brand. The whole deal centred around an unknown brand BUT was sold on the Rangers x Castore = Bespoke, Custom, Premium, Innovative, Online, Fashion marketing. Making us and our kits different from everyone else, a bit special.

If they are to be sold in sports shops the last one on the planet should be SD. Castore as a brand should have been more picky. SD is the Asdas of sport shops. You won't find any of the premium adidas or nike products at SD, You will however find them in the stores you have mentioned. Everyone was worried about the cost of a shirt because Castore is a self recognised premium brand. Not being able to buy something in SD adds value to it, it's something a bit different.

What is the actual issue?

SD will be buying strips upfront, like any other retailer, so the club/Castore will have made their money from whatever SD buy. There is literally no negative to the club in this happening, and several positives, biggest of which being more strips sold to retailers.

People have a genuine choice in whether they want SD to profit at all, and that comes down to a personal opinion, but if they do profit, it is not, at all, at the expense of the club now.

It should, however, stand to reason that direct sales benefit us more and are therefore the go-to option, but for anyone that has problems doing so, we lose nothing by SD selling a few shirts.

To clear it up to the numptys. We are dealing with nothing from SD. They have bought shirts to sell from castore what we will benefit from. Nothing wrong with it. That’s all people need to know

I won't tolerate anyone in our family buying from MA, SD and all the brands he is involved with, but we can't prevent SD buying from Castore, the same as Greaves, JD sports etc., that is the law, the difference is this time he is paying us through Castore for the privilege of having our merch for sale, he is now paying us, and he won't like it.
People in the know won't buy through him and yes his company will make some sales but not like before, forget about him and concentrate on the money our club is now rightfully getting.
A good point.
If his heart is set on destroying our merchandising income, it’s going to cost him a pretty penny buying every sportswear company we could pair up with.
He’d need to buy controlling interest along the way.
Monopolies commission would have to step in eventually.

Why Sports Direct? Because it's a live issue with the support, because to not mention it and then have what happened yesterday leaves it open to interpretation and a 'cover up'. I understand what they're saying the position is now and I'm like you, I'll never shop there again and haven't now in years. We as a support have been taken for mugs time and again over the years, the current board and Castore both made grand statements about being led by fans feelings, the ultimate care should have been taken to ensure that, and in this case it hasn't.

There's shades of grey here, me saying I don't think it's been handled well doesn't mean I want the board out, or I'm a panty wetter, or a mentally challenged, as some on 'your side' of the argument have also hysterically been saying. I just don't think they've handled it well, and its sown a little bit of mistrust.
There is absolutely no need for them to name sports direct at all. I was very clear from all the briefings the club and Castore have gave. When I saw what sports direct had said yesterday I knew they done it to get a reaction. And sadly it did.

People need to learn to relax on certain things and start enjoying football again.

Back