Nicola Sturgeon deals SPFL blow over early fan return date

jaws73

Official Ticketer
The First Minister discussed the potential October return date and admits that no decision has been made.

Nicola Sturgeon has dealt Scottish football fans' hopes of getting back into football stadiums early a major blow.

A provisional date of October has been pencilled in although Celtic hope to get supporters in for the first game of the season.

Aberdeen have also detailed their hopes of getting a limited crowd of 7500 back into Pittodrie as well while potential test events will be held by Celtic and the SRU.

But the First Minister insists no decision has been announced yet and Professor Jason Leitch was purely attempting to temper expectations when he discussed an October date.

Sturgeon said: “Football with crowds has not been pencilled in for October. We haven’t taken that decision yet.

“Jason was simply trying to find a way of saying, ‘Don’t assume it will be October when we get crowds back’.

“So do not take from this that we have given football an October provisional date for crowds being back. That’s not the case and actually I don’t think it’s a fair interpretation of what Jason actually said.”

Leitch revealed he had held further talks with the SFA and SPFL in recent days and had spoken about a potential October date, but he insists that it won't be soon that there are full stadiums.

And he also told clubs not to bank on October as a certain date for return.

Professor Jason Leitch said: “We cannot predict when crowds will be back. I can predict that it will not be soon, it will be phased.

“I had another conversation yesterday with the leadership of the SFA and the SPFL, the club leadership along with some colleagues and I have suggested in media in the last two or three days, perhaps October. I would maybe pencil that into your calendar but I certainly wouldn’t write over it in pen.”

I’ve seen this mentioned a few times on this site but has there been any official numbers mentioned anywhere for their season ticket sale nos?
It’s just an assumption that if they had good numbers they would be crowing about it

Reminds me of the Mayor of Las Vegas offering her citizens as a test case. I'm all for it, as long as Timmy take on the public liability, and aren't a seperate entity!

FBS

crowd ban will be lifted the week before old firm fixture in October. They,ll make sure of that.
It would be ridiculous to have a "test match" with anywhere near 60000 in attendanc.
Somewhere like St Midden would be ideal, where a crowd of say 1000 could provide a suitable density to see whether this would produce an increase in infection.
Full houses at large stadiums in the short term is crazy.
Maybe for the 2nd round of games, or just before the New Year should be OK.:cool:

Testing using Celtic fans? Worst case scenario I'm guessing. The dirtiest and most unhygienic fuckers, their lisps will cause spit to fly when they talk and they like a wee cuddle up with family members. If this doesn't spread COVID then nothing will. Plus it means that any outbreak won't impact on the country's workforce.

It's inspired thinking.

Old firm will be game 11 of the season in mid October . They will have test events at all grounds before then with limited capacity .

first full game back will be the old firm or the week before with full crowds after a ‘successful ‘ test period

nothing is more surer. They will dictate Scottish football again and our club will sit and say or do nothing

Old firm will be game 11 of the season in mid October . They will have test events at all grounds before then with limited capacity .

first full game back will be the old firm or the week before with full crowds after a ‘successful ‘ test period

nothing is more surer. They will dictate Scottish football again and our club will sit and say or do nothing

There is no chance there will be full crowds by October not a hope in hell for us or them. They are telling us to brace for the second wave - they ai t going to allow it I just can’t see it

Back