Si Ferry meets Kyle Lafferty

Lafferty found his level with Hearts, haven't heard the interview yet but with hindsight he should have stayed there and been their main man.

Cost us a few quid first time round as well (roughly same price as Jelavic who signed year later) and he couldn't lace his boots let's be honest.... And he was much better first time with us than when gaffer brought him back.

Wasted his career but had some interesting moves tbf to him (Sion etc).

Likeable big guy but clearly no brains.

Lafferty found his level with Hearts, haven't heard the interview yet but with hindsight he should have stayed there and been their main man.

Cost us a few quid first time round as well (roughly same price as Jelavic who signed year later) and he couldn't lace his boots let's be honest.... And he was much better first time with us than when gaffer brought him back.

Went to Palermo where they thought they were getting the next Luca Toni :))

One thing I will say for Lafferty, despite taking the piss out of the club and fans with his complete lack of professionalism, despite only turning up for a small portions of the season, despite embarrassing us and himself, he’s certainly managed to amass a fiercely loyal fan club. There’s players who’ve actually worked hard for Rangers who don’t get a fraction of the adoration he gets.

How many of these guys have scored important goals in title run ins including last day hatricks? Throw in goals at the piggery

How many of these guys have scored important goals in title run ins including last day hatricks? Throw in goals at the piggery

I didn’t realise that made turning it on for a few games a season, half arsing it and actually admitting you half arsed it, more acceptable.

Goals at the piggery? He never scored at the piggery for us.

Said it before, but Lafferty is the nicest Rangers player i've ever met and it's not even close. Went above and beyond to the point where I could never think poorly of him.

The last 15 minutes is about Gerrard.

I know Lafferty's his own worst enemy with daftness at times but his words were quite telling about Gerrard's man management. Sounds like Lafferty's confidence got shot to pieces a bit.

We need to get more out of our squad players. We've been signing players who have done well against us like Jones and Stewart for example who aren't world beaters but can do a job. We need to keep these guys on their toes and try fill them with confidence so they're ready to make an impact when used. We've been totally freezing guys out.

Definitely something that's got to change going forward.

man management is a bit of a mess. Look at when the chips are down Gerrard completely disengages and often withdraws to the dugout.

Im not sure anyone around him is giving him feedback. He needs to listen to the players.

having favourites like Ojo and barker is killing him.

man management is a bit of a mess. Look at when the chips are down Gerrard completely disengages and often withdraws to the dugout.

Im not sure anyone around him is giving him feedback. He needs to listen to the players.

having favourites like Ojo and barker is killing him.

Ojo and Barker are/were his favourites?

Ojo and Barker are/were his favourites?

yes, Ojo played every week virtually for the first few months despite it being obvious from the get go technically he was murder, couldn’t trap a ball or pass. Others were bombed out for the slightest mistake. Katic another example of getting thrown under a bus.

Barker getting games as a sub despite being a junior footballer and is still loved by the management team. Paterson getting bombed out after his first game etc etc Jones bombed out. Kent having one shit game after another. Hagi anonymous nearly every week yet played wide/inside right

The players aren’t daft.

I didn’t realise that made turning it on for a few games a season, half arsing it and actually admitting you half arsed it, more acceptable.

Goals at the piggery? He never scored at the piggery for us.

Im giving him the goal in the 3-1 game. You can award it to a mentally challenged if you choose.

Why would you not think scoring in important games let you away with maybe not doing so well in others? We have people that dont rate Boyd who pretty much scored in every game other than Europe and Old Firms, that’s your clue there.

Im giving him the goal in the 3-1 game. You can award it to a mentally challenged if you choose.

Why would you not think scoring in important games let you away with maybe not doing so well in others? We have people that dont rate Boyd who pretty much scored in every game other than Europe and Old Firms, that’s your clue there.

You’re giving him a goal he didn’t score? Good for you, I think I’ll give Boyd a couple more OF goals just to help his case.

No, I don’t think scoring in some important games makes up for doing fùck all for near three quarters of a season whilst earning a mint, and I think it’s hard to have respect for someone who brazenly admits he didn’t really try while he was earning a fortune and not doing the business for us.

ps. Boyd did a lot more, a lot more consistently for Rangers, but of course he has his critics, he was a disgrace in his second stint and even less dedicated and professional than Lafferty.

You’re giving him a goal he didn’t score? Good for you, I think I’ll give Boyd a couple more OF goals just to help his case.

No, I don’t think scoring in some important games makes up for doing fùck all for near three quarters of a season whilst earning a mint, and I think it’s hard to have respect for someone who brazenly admits he didn’t really try while he was earning a fortune and not doing the business for us.

ps. Boyd did a lot more, a lot more constantly for Rangers, but of course he has his critics, he was a disgrace in his second stint and even less dedicated and professional than Lafferty.

What comes under “doing the business for you“ title winning goals at Easter Road, Tannadice and Rugby Park obviously not being enough I’d be interested to know.

The point regarding Boyd was, we have fans that question him due to not scoring in the biggest of games despite scoring constantly everywhere else. That is the reason Lafferty May get away with what others don’t, as he scored in these games. Not hard to work out.

Lafferty made a mess of it in his second spell and despite not seeing the interview, I know he knows that himself. If he says it in a public interview is another matter.

He still contributed massively to our last 3 league titles and for that I am forever grateful. There has been many better players but not many that have produced when it mattered so consistently, in recent times anyway,

What comes under “doing the business for you“ title winning goals at Easter Road, Tannadice and Rugby Park obviously not being enough I’d be interested to know.

The point regarding Boyd was, we have fans that question him due to not scoring in the biggest of games despite scoring constantly everywhere else. That is the reason Lafferty May get away with what others don’t, as he scored in these games. Not hard to work out.

Lafferty made a mess of it in his second spell and despite not seeing the interview, I know he knows that himself. If he says it in a public interview is another matter.

He still contributed massively to our last 3 league titles and for that I am forever grateful. There has been many better players but not many that have produced when it mattered so consistently, in recent times anyway,

Hang on a second. Doing the business is performing consistently over the course of a season, not showing up right at the end to take the glory when the rest of the squad has already done the bulk of the work. The goals scored throughout the season are all title winning goals, not just the few at the end. The guy freely admits he doesn’t try hard, in light of that and only showing up when it suits him, how can people be okay with that? Are standards really that low now?

And by the way Boyd scored when we won the title up at Tannadice. You obviously cited the piggery goals (plural) as a show of Lafferty scoring against them too but the reality is he had one goal against them, same as Boyd. Boyd also has cup final winning goals for us.

“produced when it mattered so consistently”, a sentence that simply doesn’t apply to Lafferty unless you’re telling me the other three quarters of the season don’t matter, and only turning it on for a handful of games at the end is showing consistency? If anything it’s the complete opposite of consistency, bizarre mate. Yes he made his contribution to title wins, but there are players who worked hard and gave us far more consistency who don’t get the same adoration. For me, that’s a bit mental.

Felt a bit sorry for Lafferty there but not sure how people can listen to that and say there is problems with Gerrards man management. To me he signed Lafferty to be an experienced head who had been there and done it similar to Davis and Shagger, in reality he got a guy who turned up and for one reason or another felt to nervous to even ask for a pass. Kyle even says it himself that when he was doing well Gerrard was encouraging him.

The stuff about having to train with the reserves is obviously unfortunate but Gerrard has obviously decided at that point it wasn’t working out, that’s just football.

Hang on a second. Doing the business is performing consistently over the course of a season, not showing up right at the end to take the glory when the rest of the squad has already done the bulk of the work. The goals scored throughout the season are all title winning goals, not just the few at the end. The guy freely admits he doesn’t try hard, in light of that and only showing up when it suits him, how can people be okay with that? Are standards really that low now?

And by the way Boyd scored when we won the title up at Tannadice. You obviously cited the piggery goals (plural) as a show of Lafferty scoring against them too but the reality is he had one goal against them, same as Boyd. Boyd also has cup final winning goals for us.

“produced when it mattered so consistently”, a sentence that simply doesn’t apply to Lafferty unless you’re telling me the other three quarters of the season don’t matter, and only turning it on for a handful of games at the end is showing consistency? If anything it’s the complete opposite of consistency, bizarre mate.

Not entirely sure why you are turning this into a Lafferty v Boyd argument considering i haven’t criticised Boyd once and actually liked him.

The reason Boyd was brought up by myself was to try help you understand why Lafferty maybe gets away with things Boyd for eg doesn’t.

Boyd could score a 100 goals a season but would still be questioned if he done it in the games that really mattered, Lafferty is remembered for doing it at the crunch time of each season for the last 3 league titles we won.

Your point that every goal is a title winning goal is one I really can’t be arsed even replying to.

Once again I will ask what merits “doing the business for us“?

Folk can jump up and down all they want.

The guy was lucky enough to score the opener in 3 successive title days.

Thats whats in the record books.

Found the last 15 minutes of the interview uncomfortable, it had been chopped up a lot and made him seem very very damaged by his second Rangers spell. Don’t think a lot of what he said on the matter was included (hunch).

Also deserves a nod for Ufa away. 9 men, played left back left mid and centre forward at same time. Punting balls up in the sky charging winning the flick on and then haring after it.

Folk can jump up and down all they want.

The guy was lucky enough to score the opener in 3 successive title days.

Thats whats in the record books.

Found the last 15 minutes of the interview uncomfortable, it had been chopped up a lot and made him seem very very damaged by his second Rangers spell. Don’t think a lot of what he said on the matter was included (hunch).

Also deserves a nod for Ufa away. 9 men, played left back left mid and centre forward at same time. Punting balls up in the sky charging winning the flick on and then haring after it.

Great point about UFA away. 31 goals in 60 odd games and most as subs, not worst record either. @Danger Zone

Not entirely sure why you are turning this into a Lafferty v Boyd argument considering i haven’t criticised Boyd once and actually liked him.

The reason Boyd was brought up by myself was to try help you understand why Lafferty maybe gets away with things Boyd for eg doesn’t.

Boyd could score a 100 goals a season but would still be questioned if he done it in the games that really mattered, Lafferty is remembered for doing it at the crunch time of each season for the last 3 league titles we won.

Your point that every goal is a title winning goal is one I really can’t be arsed even replying to.

Once again I will ask what merits “doing the business for us“?

Because you prattled on about Boyd and implied that Lafferty scored in big games for us and Boyd didn’t, whilst using phantom goals to make your point?

I’m not surprised you can’t be arsed mate because it would take a long while to come up with a credible counter point that says the goals in the last few games are worth more than the goals that earned the points to have us up there at the top come the business end of the season in the first place.

As for the last question, I’ve already answered you once but I’ll humour you and do it again anyway - for me doing the business for Rangers constitutes making a consistently meaningful contribution to the side over the course of a season, not turning it on right at the end. It’s hard not to feel cheated when you know a player never gave 100% because ultimately it means you could have gotten a lot more, and that is the case with Lafferty, straight from the horses mouth so it’s not exactly something that can be denied.

Essentially all that Lafferty is saying is he couldn't hack the pressure of playing for us second time around, and playing under Gerrard.

Quite right to let him go then.

Because you prattled on about Boyd and implied that Lafferty scored in big games for us and Boyd didn’t, whilst using phantom goals to make your point?

I’m not surprised you can’t be arsed mate because it would take a long while to come up with a credible counter point that says the goals in the last few games are worth more than the goals that earned the points to have us up there at the top come the business end of the season in the first place.

As for the last question, I’ve already answered you once but I’ll humour you and do it again anyway - for me doing the business for Rangers constitutes making a consistently meaningful contribution to the side over the course of a season, not turning it on right at the end. It’s hard not to feel cheated when you know a player never gave 100% because ultimately it means you could have gotten a lot more, and that is the case with Lafferty, straight from the horses mouth so it’s not exactly something that can be denied.

Where did I prattle on about Boyd? Your obviously missing the point here. Sober up it’s not the weekend anymore

31 goals in 60 odd games and a lot appearing from the bench. Unless he scored all they goals at the end of the season, something is telling me he must have played a part other times, correct me if I’m wrong. Cheers.

Quite surprised about him feeling nervous under Gerrard - was never something I thought would affect him.

Where did I prattle on about Boyd? Your obviously missing the point here. Sober up it’s not the weekend anymore

31 goals in 60 odd games and a lot appearing from the bench. Unless he scored all they goals at the end of the season, something is telling me he must have played a part other times, correct me if I’m wrong. Cheers.

If you’re talking about Rangers you’ve got that one wrong pal.

As for Boyd, go back and read your previous posts before telling other people to sober up. You brought him into the discussion. But hey I’m conversing with a guy who thinks a concentrated glut of goals over a handful of games is ‘consistency’. By all means, continue to worship the guy, I don’t actually dislike him, but I also don’t have anything like the level of respect I have for players who actually worked hard here, which was of course the point I was making all along.

One thing I will say for Lafferty, despite taking the piss out of the club and fans with his complete lack of professionalism, despite only turning up for a small portions of the season, despite embarrassing us and himself, he’s certainly managed to amass a fiercely loyal fan club. There’s players who’ve actually worked hard for Rangers who don’t get a fraction of the adoration he gets.

One thing and one thing only, Northern Ireland.

If he's English or Welsh, he doesn't get anywhere near as much admiration.

Lafferty: 0.27 goals per game.
Windass: 0.26 GPG

One loved, the other slated.

He's very obviously a lovely big guy with a good heart and nae brains.

Truthfully, I worry about him in his post football career.

He's a bit of a manchild and his missus will need to be strong as iron to keep him on a straight path.

When he did well Gerrard praised and supported him, but he just doesn't appear to have the consistent mentality and desire that the manager requires. Lazy training, banter, Irish charm and dick pics are not enough.

He should have gone to Seoul.

I don’t doubt there’s some truth in that. At least no one can accuse me of being as inconsistent as Lafferty since I’ve had a right go at both of those players at times.

Should mention I’ve also met Lafferty and he is a nice big guy if you meet him. But none of that will ever change how I view his time at Rangers, even if he’d paid my mortgage I’d still think he was a bit of a waster who cheated the club by not trying particularly hard, regardless of the fact he obviously made a decent contribution to some title wins. Maximum effort is the very least that should be expected of anyone playing here, and you’d certainly expect that from a boyhood fan.

Who was Windass scoring against ? I do not remember him helping us win the SPFL.

According to the interview he was on a lot less money with us than he was with Hearts

If you’re talking about Rangers you’ve got that one wrong pal.

As for Boyd, go back and read your previous posts before telling other people to sober up. You brought him into the discussion. But hey I’m conversing with a guy who thinks a concentrated glut of goals over a handful of games is ‘consistency’. By all means, continue to worship the guy, I don’t actually dislike him, but I also don’t have anything like the level of respect I have for players who actually worked hard here, which was of course the point I was making all along.

You are good at missing the point, i will give you that one

I take your point about the goals in the title run ins, was going to say I dont have much time for him but his goals alone in the latter stages of the seasons in his first spell made him worth the money alone.

'Goals at the piggery' is stretching it a bit though lol, he 'scored' once but if it didnt end up going down as an OG then it should have.

I take your point about the goals in the title run ins, was going to say I dont have much time for him but his goals alone in the latter stages of the seasons in his first spell made him worth the money alone.

'Goals at the piggery' is stretching it a bit though lol, he 'scored' once but if it didnt end up going down as an OG then it should have.

Spot on

Think Danger Zone's dislike of Lafferty has stopped him entering Lafferty threads to see that many other people on FF also dislike Lafferty. He was never the best player but when he is confident and has backing there is a decent player there.

Gerrard seems to have a very old school approach to man management, pretty sure he admitted he was too harsh in the first season as well a while ago.

Will watch the interview later.

Think Danger Zone's dislike of Lafferty has stopped him entering Lafferty threads to see that many other people on FF also dislike Lafferty. He was never the best player but when he is confident and has backing there is a decent player there.

Gerrard seems to have a very old school approach to man management, pretty sure he admitted he was too harsh in the first season as well a while ago.

I think that’s just the way he is built. When you read books about Gerrard or players that played with him they all say he would write players off after a single training session. :))

It seems Gerrard knows how to test players to improve them. Alfie, Jack, Barisic, Tav are testament to that. Players that burst a gut to improve and show they're worthy of being there will get their chance, as Halliday mentioned last week.

After hearing what Windass and Lafferry have said though it does seem Gerrard doesn't have time for players who don't seem 100% up for a challenge.

Gerrard tested Windass by saying he could stay and fight or go to Wigan, Windass chose the latter in a huff. Lafferty, an international and title winner who is 30 years old, saying he was too nervous for the ball doesn't strike me as a person Steven Gerrard would want around.
Do you really think Tavernier has improved under Gerrard? I’d say last season was easily his worst with us. The other three certainly have improved.

Some bizarre hatred coming out here.

That was actually a better interview than I expected. A wee bit too much use of the word 'bants' but apart from that it was pretty good.

He gave us some great moments, but I suspect he’ll reach 40 look back over his career and wonder what more he could have achieved.

He had the talent to become a Rangers legend, or to have played a good chunk of his career in the EPL. Sadly his attitude didn’t always match his talent.

I liked him but the fact that he quite obviously is a Rangers man makes his complete lack of professionalism (at times) even more difficult to work out.

having spent time with the gazelle here in Canada, i've a definite soft spot fore him. Hes been over twice in the past 4yrs.
I took some swag round for him to sign..including a "king billys on the wall"..t-shirt... i cajoled him into putting it on..so we could send a photo to his brother in law... he shook his head and laughed...fair play to him for knowing how mental the press and the east end would go....

to this day..I'll never understand when SG said, "i pick my team from those who showed up in training"..Kyle's response was "i never train well"..... furrfuxxsakes KL if that's what the gaffer wants, then get the fekk in there....

word is he'll be playing abroad, when things get back to a new normal
I listened and like big Wes a get impression SG is not the best guy to be around he seems distant from the lads which doesn't seem good for the team spirit a little strange if truth be told this is few times we hear it's all Michael Beale.
Is the gaffer just the face.

Sounds like Laff didn't have the appetite for the SG challenge and standards. Correct approach by the gaffer, no time for anything other than 100%

I listened and like big Wes a get impression SG is not the best guy to be around he seems distant from the lads which doesn't seem good for the team spirit a little strange if truth be told this is few times we hear it's all Michael Beale.
Is the gaffer just the face.

Not having that. 99% of the interviews you see from players say that SG is a fantastic man manager, has high standards and can go through you when needed but is fair with it. Only time you see it to the contrary is from players who are no longer part of the plans or seem to need a cuddle/constant re-assurance.

I don’t even feel comfortable saying I dislike Lafferty, because really I don’t. Like I said, I’ve met him and my personal experience of that is that he was a really nice big guy. I just don’t have much respect for his conduct as a Rangers player and of course it’s hard not to look at some of what he gets up to off he park and let that influence your view too. However, the only point I was looking to make here was that he gets a lot more adoration from many fans than players who worked hard and gave it their all get.

I’m sure quite a few will share my view and also feel they can’t really respect someone who admits he doesn’t really try very hard. I’m just a bit shocked at the number who really adore him in spite of this, especially given our support can be so demanding and so needlessly critical of players and ex players at times - yet here’s a guy who brazenly admits to not really stretching himself in training and yet he’s getting a lot of love.

He’s a terrible speaker. Dragged on massively because of that.

I had to turn it off halfway through because of this. He had some good stories and came across well, but f*ck me, he takes about 40 seconds in real-time to make a point that could be said with a couple of words. Not the clearest speaker either.

Back