Eduard v Alfie - price tag

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
Is it just about how rich the selling club is? Is it that Shame FC don't need to sell?

I have Eduard slighlty ahead of Alfie for two reasons:

1. Scores against us
2. Calmer finisher and wastes less chances

BUT Alfie scores in Europe and Eduard doesn't and Alfie is on edges of Colombia national squad which is incredible achievement.

But I keep reading he is valued at £30m and Alfie at as low as £10m. Why?

Is it just that clubs see us as 'cash poor'?
Is it filth having reputation as 'standing firm' in negotiations?
Is it Alfie's apparent huffs and fluctuations in form?

Is it just about how rich the selling club is? Is it that Shame FC don't need to sell?

1. Scores against us

BUT Alfie scores in Europe and Eduard doesn't and Alfie is on edges of Colombia national squad which is incredible achievement.

No it's the SMSM filling your head with shite

1. Scores against us

Because the filth and their puppets are utterly obsessed with this comparison.

There probably isn't a great deal of difference in what each player is worth but the Scottish media (via Celtic) are superb at talking up the value of their assets.

The fact they are actively talking down Alfie's value is indicative of the value they actually place on him as I cannot recall them ever obsessing over the value of one of our players like this before.

Neither player will go for £30m but I think both will leave Scotland at some point before the window shuts.

Transfer fees are also dependant on a few other factors like buy out clauses, length of contract etc.

I’d guess they’ll both go for roughly the same price give or take a million or two.

Because our fans constantly downplay any of our own and probably have very little interest in the wider footballing world (so they don’t appreciate how mad fees are). That makes it easier for the MSM to attribute low fees too.

Celtic fans are the opposite. They’ll spend hours every day telling the world how great even someone like Rogic is.

Celtic are better at getting top dollar for their players, no matter how good or bad they are. We've been improving in that sense but still have a way to go, if Morelos could sort out his disciplinary issues (before anyone has a go, I know hes been unfairly officiated but the issues absolutely are there regardless) then he'd be more valuable imo, but regardless of why a players been sent off clubs will look at the amount of red cards and it will go against him. Edouard by comparison seems to be a bit of a mouse, almost devoid of any emotion or personality but by consequence he's always available for selection.

FWIW I think there's very little to split them in terms of value. Morelos sheer brilliance at times and capability of grabbing games by the scruff of the neck is something that Edouard doesn't have, an x factor if you like. Edouard however does it consistently season round at a lesser rate, rather than having a blistering run of 4-5 months then falling off a cliff form wise.

I love the wee guy but he's not scored against them, not scored in the champions league and has temperamental issues - each of these will impact his value whether we like it or not. Ignoring media nonsense and fan hype he isn't "worth" as much at this moment.

If he stays for another season, sorts his discipline out, scores high profile goals against them and keeps doing it in Europe that would change. I think he is the better player but he needs to prove it.

Not scoring in the countries biggest match is clearly a weight on him, but it’s the discipline issues which ensure we won’t receive what we truly want
I get this might be an issue but, surely his record in Europe more than makes up for that.
Is it not one of those that the scum hang over us when comparing Larsson and McCoist?
That their man “done more in Europe”?

I love the wee guy but he's not scored against them, not scored in the champions league and has temperamental issues - each of these will impact his value whether we like it or not. Ignoring media nonsense and fan hype he isn't "worth" as much at this moment.

If he stays for another season, sorts his discipline out, scores high profile goals against them and keeps doing it in Europe that would change. I think he is the better player but he needs to prove it.
How many as Edouard scored in the CL?

Both are good players but I think any scouts watching the two of them would rate Alfie higher, primarily based on his performances in Europe. Edouard is good but more reliant on the others around him, whereas Alfie can ragdoll top quality defences all by himself. His discipline counts against him - not sure any European scout cares if he scores against Celtic when he regularly scores against better sides in Europe.

Regards values, we're all just being taken in by paper talk, and the MSM here have a clear agenda to inflate prices for their players and lower prices for ours. In the past our club definitely sold us short, but it does feel we're getting to a place where the board will set prices according to the market and we'll expect more for our high performers.

Time will tell but I wouldn't entertain a bid south of £20m for Morelos

Can you rely on Morelos over a prolonged period of time, jury is out on that.

The valuations are paper talk, they are worth what anyone is prepared to pay.

On his day, Morelos is the better striker, especially as a lone striker.

The only thing Eduoard has over Morelos is he's scored more goals against your Hamiltons etc. / scored against us and his discipline record.

I don't think any scout employed in football would look more favorably on goals scored against SPFL teams than they would European teams. If they did, you'd probably find them out of a job quickly.

Our fans have a realistic viewpoint on players. Their fans are deluded. Every year they get hammered in Europe, yet they think the players are sought after by the giants of the game. While the Tierney transfer was going ahead, the deluded were on Arsenal forums saying he was a steal at that price, with comparisons to Maldini thrown in.

In this pathetic country, evaluations are skewed depending on which team a player comes from.

I'd have Morelos at a dearer price than Edouard to be honest and yes I know he's had problems off the pitch which leads to a drop in form

Morelos was the top scorer in the Europa League when it was stopped due to the pandemic and with the right league/set up behind him, I think he could go for much more because if he's allowed to concentrate on football, he will score goals

Edouard is scoring goals V Ross County which isn't going to help when he's playing in a big league. Morelos has obviously done the same but he's done it at a European level when teams were actually trying - although Edouard didn't even score V Lazio who dropped tools to try and win Serie A. The reason why Celtic managed to sell Dembele for a decent amount is because he scored goals in the CL and against a high profile side (Man City), Edouard hasn't done anything near this but he makes the puppets in the Scottish media blow themselves because he scores goals against average Scottish teams. Also most of his goals V us have came from having poor defences or he's deflected it (the December goal)

Them winning titles and playing in champions league adds to the value in the media’s eyes.

I dont even see it as being close tbh. Edouard went missing in the last 2 old firms. Alfie for all he didnt score, absolutely battered them. He just gets a bit tense and snatches at chances when hes under pressure. Hes improved every season hes been at us in general though, and whos to say he wouldnt again next year.

Edouards record in Europe is actually atrocious, considering the fixtures theyve had. I take Alfie all day long, if he matures a bit and i think hes entitled to do that at his young age, he is the superior player in my mind

Eduoward is a far better player and that’s all there is too it, well that plus he doesn’t get sent off every ten games
iaNt2HLb7d_RURW6Zl0cgwOEVcgesaeGR0ANeEcR12EfKdEUci-VuJ9U66YHUuF2EjSUuHMHUep6LZfhrZsjPa1dTR7mapK8XwWVw9m5DCSamfWWGi28O5-OZHpUBQi9bNiRj1RsgyX-Ak8ke_Cee7iuEMq_at3Ue2A

No doubt Eduard is worth more, due to the not scoring against them, his disciplinary record, and hid loss of form before Covid. These realistically will affect what someone will pay for him.

However the hard reality is neither striker has had a bid tabled for them. They are only worth what someone will pay. I would expect the valuations will go down, players not at the very top of the game will be worth less this summer. Smaller clubs revenue will be more uncertain. So I think both strikers will be worth less than last summer. Morelos figure is maybe more current as it looks like there is actual interest. Also worth remembering we bought Morelos for £1m. they paid £10m for him. So we need less to turn a big profit, they need £15m just to break even.

What, like an open goal from 3 yards or a penalty? Yeah Alfie’s never had those against Celtic...

(I still love him :)))

I was thinking more handing him the ball and giving him a straight forward finish on the keeper long before that penalty miss.

They never never gifted him any chances for an open goal by the way, we fashioned that chance, he was on the stretch and it came off the woodwork. Should clearly have scored but it’s not quite the Van Vossen-esque miss it’s made out to be. No excuses for missing a penalty but with the pressure and focus put on him scoring against them by that point, and having to wait to spot the ball and ready himself was always going to increase the pressure 10 fold.

The media ought to make its mind up. They keep saying that its what you do in Europe that counts. Alfie rattles in the goals and he's still slagged off. Imagine how much the media would be valuing a Celtc player as top goalscorer in the Europa League ?

Morelos is worth £100m
Edouard is worth a packet of spangles

Easy to say but the only thing that matters is what the other clubs actually willing to pay

First off, I don’t think anyone is likely to spend £30m on Edouard and I highly doubt we’d let Alfie go for just £10m. The rags have played this game for years now - over inflating the price tags of the Yahoos’ top talent (remember Dembele was supposedly worth £40m) and undervaluing ours.

However, we do need to appreciate that they have a recent track record of selling players to the EPL and beyond for big sums while we don’t.

I think that more than anything else is what allows them to charge what they do now.

You then have to factor in Morelos’s indiscipline and frequent loss of form and accept that the figures some on here are demanding we get for him are wildly unrealistic as a result.

What I will say in his defence though is that his performances from the start of last season until Xmas were on a level that I don’t think Edouard has ever reached. He was almost unplayable at times and if he’d maintained that form throughout the campaign, a £20m fee would have been a lot easier to see.

Last edited:
Edouard will go for more. Not that it is because he is a better footballer but buying clubs look at a host of things when purchasing a player.

Discipline- You can't argue that this is a factor with Alfie and isnt with with Eduouard. Clubs will look at the potential for Morelos missing 5,6,7+ games a season due to being carded.

Form-Morelos seems to score in patches and then go a while without scoring, this has happened for the last two seasons.

The last thing is winning, football is a team sport but players who have a history of winning big matches, winning trophies will ultimately be viewed in a higher regard from other countries.

When both are on form they are very good players, there is no point pretending otherwise.

I of course would choose Alfie as we know what he can do when on form, bu for on lookers that may not be enough.

I would say edouard is more clinical and more consistent. Alfredo when he is on it, no defender can handle him. He’s just not on it like that enough YET. Before christmas Morelos is probably the best striker i’ve seen in Scotland, unplayable regardless of opposition.

I dont even see it as being close tbh. Edouard went missing in the last 2 old firms. Alfie for all he didnt score, absolutely battered them. He just gets a bit tense and snatches at chances when hes under pressure. Hes improved every season hes been at us in general though, and whos to say he wouldnt again next year.

Edouards record in Europe is actually atrocious, considering the fixtures theyve had. I take Alfie all day long, if he matures a bit and i think hes entitled to do that at his young age, he is the superior player in my mind

It doesn’t help that any opportunity Morelos gets for a shot in or around the 18 yard box is automatically deemed a “sitter”, regardless of the angle, regardless of defensive presence, stronger or weaker foot, overall degree of difficulty etc etc.

Clearly he does have some sort of mental block in this games and passes up chances you’d think would almost certainly hit the net against other sides, you’d be delusional to suggest otherwise, but it’s nice that he’s got his own fans to add some hyperbole and pile it on.

Morelos has to sort the disciplinary issues out and perform for a full season to be valued at the same level as Edouard and Dembele.

The standard pattern (and I’m not saying I agree with the logic) is that both us and them can command decent money when the team is winning trophies. Would Tierney have commanded that money if we had been sweeping up trophies? Absolutely not.

As much as they have been better negotiators for fees, the money we got for the likes of Boumsong, Cuellar and especially Hutton was huge. In Hutton, we got £9m for a guy who’d had a relatively short run of form in a winning Rangers team. That’s probably the equivalent of £15-20m in today’s market.

In reality, Morelos domestically has only been able to have short bursts of blistering form in a Rangers team that’s won nothing and he’s failed to score in our biggest fixture. Like it or not, that’s gonna hurt his value.

Back