How badly do you think we need to sign another Striker?

The Gon

Touched on it in the transfer thread but I feel this topic is worthy of discussion on its own. Currently we are going into the new season with relying on Morelos to bang in the goals for us and Defoe as his sole back up.

My primary concerns are that Morelos is not capable of carrying us through an entire season on his own, and will unquestionably face suspensions, injuries & dips of form just like everyone else, and also that Defoe is just not an adequate replacement for Morelos. Defoe is a fine squad player who'll get you goals but he doesn't offer anywhere near the same focal point as Morelos. He shouldn't be used as a direct Morelos replacement for me.

IMO a quality third striker should be our number 1 priority at present. Our previous title winning/3iar squad always had guys like Jelavic, Naismith, Lafferty, Miller & Boyd - we were never too reliant on one individual to do it for us throughout the entire season and I feel like that's something we desperately need to replicate going into next.

Looking at the names linked guys like Roofe & Toney excite me, but they shouldn't be signed only if Morelos goes - we need someone like this to support Morelos and help bang in goals when he's not doing it for us.

In case you haven’t noticed, Morelos gets suspended for doing stupid things. That combined with the fact that he is a marked man in Scotland means he will be out for at least a fifth of the season with suspensions.

We simply cannot rely on Defoe to score the goals in the system we play. He’s great off the bench when we are pushing for a goal or when the opposition are pushing for an equaliser and leaving gaps - but if the opposition are 11 men behind the ball, I don’t believe he has the strength to play the 9 on his own.

Kamberi will be a decent signing, but I think we need one more.

A striker is not the reason we were thirteen points behind with a game in hand when the league was cancelled.

We don't score enough goals but our striker was on nearly thirty. A back up for his back up is needed but there are much higher priorities.

For me we need someone decent in the air as another option. A high ball into tge opposition box is currently too easy fir opposition defenders. It shouldnt be an expensive option though.

Badly. We need a solid second choice. Someone who will put pressure on Morelos. Defoe should be third choice now given his age and the fact he doesn’t actually fit into the one up top system that Gerrard will never change. (Given previous times Morelos was missing last season he simply swapped in Defoe and tried to play the same way).

Should he decide he wants to go 2 up when/If Morelos isn’t available then we probably need two strikers.

Its absolutely essential another striker is brought in, Morelos has shown he can't sustain his form for a full season and we can't take the risk on that happening again, Defoe is not suitable for a lot of games as was shown v Hearts away and Nonce Fc at home.

We badly need another top quality striker imo Morelos is class but we need another option Defoe is a tremendous striker but at his age shouldn’t be a starter

A tough debate
I think we need more goals from midfield, but I do think a Dykes type striker for when things arent going our way might be a good shout.

No1 player needed we get the next striker signing bag on the money then for me were winning the lot

We badly need another striker who is the same style of play as Morelos so that when Morelos can’t play, our style of play isn’t stifled as much, which is why Defoe should be our third choice striker. Our style of football when Defoe plays up top can be dreadful at times. In order to get the best out of Defoe we need to play a different formation.

Another CF is a priority imo. But so is a winger who can play off the right.

Now that we have Hagi, he can play off the right but I think he’ll play behind the CF. I don’t see us brining in anymore CM/DM or full backs us anyone leaves.

CF should be top priority in case Alfie goes or gets a Katic style injury. Defoe won’t be up to Sunday Thursday very often.

Given the system we play, we need 3 players that can play central striker. Morelos, Defoe and one other. If Morelos goes, we need 2.

One of the keys for next season is getting multiple people across the midfield and forward positions contributing double digit goals and double digit assists and being less reliant on a 30 goal plus striker.

If we could only sign one more player this window, I'd sign a CF. Morelos is too unreliable and Defoe has his uses but isn't a backup that you would be comfortable having a run of games.

We're only going to spend big 6/7 million on a striker if morelos leaves and people need go realise that. I'd like us to have 4 strikers so right now it would be Morelos Defoe I'd take kamberi at the fee that's been talked about 300k will get him no bother. Then I'd like to see us spend 1/2 million on someone with potential like we did with morelos. The guy Moffi we were linked with at a million would be good buissnes

I would expect us to sign at least one more striker also a right sided forward as well. Liverpool play a front three , none of whom you would call a winger . I expect us to go more along that line and that we will try to off load Barker ,Jones .

What about a bid for cosgrove from Aberdeen, he knows the league and scores plenty of goals in it. He is also younger than Morelos and should have potential sell on value due to his age. Would cost a fraction of the money talked about for other strikers leaving more to facilitate players in other areas.

We shouldn’t depend on a stiker or single player carrying us through a season and the problem remains the same, doesn’t matter if Alfredo is off it, suspended after another petulant red, failed to come back from international duty on time, injured or sold. We need to have enough quality as a team to overcome that.

my concern is we currently don’t.

We're only going to spend big 6/7 million on a striker if morelos leaves and people need go realise that. I'd like us to have 4 strikers so right now it would be Morelos Defoe I'd take kamberi at the fee that's been talked about 300k will get him no bother. Then I'd like to see us spend 1/2 million on someone with potential like we did with morelos. The guy Moffi we were linked with at a million would be good buissnes

Who's this Moffi guy mate?

A striker is not the reason we were thirteen points behind with a game in hand when the league was cancelled.

We don't score enough goals but our striker was on nearly thirty. A back up for his back up is needed but there are much higher priorities.

We need someone to challenge Alfie. Doesn't it make sense to have a young, fit striker who can do something different to change or win a game to push him?

No idea who, but someone from the Balkans, or lower leagues in Europe with potential would suit our budget. I wouldn't even rule out one of the youths if we can get them some game time right away but they need to be blooded asap if a viable backup.

We need a striker, there is no denying that. But where are we going to find someone that’s capable but also willing to be 2nd or possibly 3rd choice?

We either need someone young, unproven but hungry to succeed, or another journeyman in the twilight of their career.

Gerrard’s lack of enthusiasm in altering the set up to players available is equally as harmful as not having adequate players to choose from.

We need a striker, a right midfielder/winger & potentially another CB now to cover Katic.

We need another player of Morelos quality.

Morelos leaves and we need two.

That's why I can't understand why some people are happy with a Dykes or Kamberi type signing.

The trouble is, we play 1 up top, so where are we going to find a striker of the calibre we are talking about on here that will be happy to sit on the bench for most of the season?

We need a 3rd choice striker. Defoe for the first part of the season was getting 20 mins most weeks and was sharp and scoring.

We need a 3rd choice striker. Defoe for the first part of the season was getting 20 mins most weeks and was sharp and scoring.

What happens if Morelos stays, continues to pick up suspensions, picks up a bad injury or fails to find any sort of form in the second half of the season like he's done in the last two seasons.

We absolutely need another quality striker, but I think our main problem is we don't score enough goals from midfield, we are way too reliant on the man through the middle whether that is Alfie or Defoe. The successful Rangers teams of my youth had a great return from midfield. This is something the current Celtic team also have and alongside mentality I think is what we really need to sort to win the title.

Everyone has a theory on a season where we experienced another collapse but I think squad quality is the core problem and when you have a combination of suspensions/injuries and poor form that hits confidence then you need genuine quality in your squad. We don't have that.

For me it's part of a bigger picture but strikers fits into .

Last edited:
We need someone to challenge Alfie. Doesn't it make sense to have a young, fit striker who can do something different to change or win a game to push him?

No idea who, but someone from the Balkans, or lower leagues in Europe with potential would suit our budget. I wouldn't even rule out one of the youths if we can get them some game time right away but they need to be blooded asap if a viable backup.

I agree but why are we spending money on nice to haves just now? We need to be winning the league. Let's get some real quality in the middle of the park first and then we can add the additionals like competition for Defoe as Alfie's back up and someone that keeps Kent on his toes.

Defoe I think will end up 3rd choice
Morelos god knows what happens with him.

two strikers are a must with one of them either being a direct Morelos replacement or his successor whilst both still here.

midfield and centre half is the big concern also

We should be looking for a striker to come in and challenge Morelos who’ll eventually take over when Morelos is sold

That’s what put transfer policy should be. Buying a Kamberi, Dykes or some other average player would be standing still

I actually think we need to sign two, Kamberi being one and another of genuine quality and that gives you security in an uncertain time.

People will argue we have Stewart as a 4th choice option but I just don’t see it tbh.

I actually think we need to sign two, Kamberi being one and another of genuine quality and that gives you security in an uncertain time.

People will argue we have Stewart as a 4th choice option but I just don’t see it tbh.
Stewart proved at tyncastle he's not a striker we need 4 strikers if we're to win the league imo

Stewart proved at tyncastle he's not a striker we need 4 strikers if we're to win the league imo

I don't think he's the required standard plus he doesn't fit the system we play especially the 4-3-3.

I can't get my head around why we signed him same applies to Barker and Jones I'd really like Gerrard to be quizzed on it because he sanctioned the signings but on the other hand it's clear he doesn't rate any of them.

So begs the question why the %^*& did we sign them ?

Our defence is fine but we need goals from midfield and a top class striker. Not a second striker to sit on the bench, one who starts.

Davis/Jack/Kamara/Arfield - not enough goals here, but would assume only one of those will start this season.

2 quality midfielders, 2 quality strikers and maybe a right sided attacker.
This is the minimum we need to give us a decent team and squad. If we need to sell a few like a Morelos, Kamara etc then do so.
Good possibility we will need another CH now with Katic out and Helander still not fit.

Back