The mhank support at Ibrox in the 80s

Johnny Yen

As well as the full Broomloan, they were also given the West Enclosure, part of the Main Stand and a section in the lower and upper Govan Stand.

Why on earth did we give them such a high percentage of our 44,000 capacity stadium?

I've seen this pop up before.
I'm sure it was something to do with them chasing the title so were given a bigger allocation for this game.
Pretty sure they messed it up and lost out to Dundee utd at the end.
I'm sure someone with more Google skills than me will look it up.

For the record, we used to get part of their main stand regularly.

We got a huge allocation at parkhead as well to be fair.

In the 80s we got 1 end and part of their main stand, their capacity was nearly 68,000 and probably went well over it when we visited, they got 4 stands/parts of our ground at a vastly reduced capacity.

I think essentially there was an unofficial agreement between the 2 clubs to provide each other with roughly an equal amount of tickets

Don’t see it in the near future but if our season tickets sales went through the floor and our attendances dropped significantly their allocation would be increased,That’s the only way more mhanks will ever be in Ibrox again.

We also used to get half the Jungle - last game we had a section in there about 79/80?

Also worth reminding people - you could go into the Celtic Pools office in the city centre and buy tickets for any area of the ground including the Rangers areas.

Id say last game was earlier we had a part of the jungle.

We also used to get half the Jungle - last game we had a section in there about 79/80?

Also worth reminding people - you could go into the Celtic Pools office in the city centre and buy tickets for any area of the ground including the Rangers areas.

I remember that well, they used to have a wee shop in Dundas St? Just up from Queen Street, I can recall going in with my auld boy and him buying tickets for the Rangers end.

When they got the full Broomloan, west enclosure, main stand and Govan stand, it was during a period where we were getting very very poor attendance's, that was the reason they got part of the Govan as that was never recognised as an area of Ibrox for them, they just bought up tickets for it as we weren't selling out our allocation. This only happened about 6 or 7 times and it was the early 80s

Before it was cheaply tarted up - the Scumhut was an absolute midden. Toilets were clatty and miles away so back of terrace awash with urine. Early 70's you'd get stoned from the tims on the railway or chased if took a wrong turn. A horrible experience to be fair - but brilliant when we won.

We actually got the full jungle in the last official game played at the piggery (Scottish cup final) hey couldn’t handle this fact and had hastily arranged a friendly game to stop the bragging rights that we were going to be the last team singing the sash in the jungle before they dropped the cesspool to the ground

As well as the full Broomloan, they were also given the West Enclosure, part of the Main Stand and a section in the lower and upper Govan Stand.

Why on earth did we give them such a high percentage of our 44,000 capacity stadium?
I remember one game against them I was in the Main Stand above the West Enclosure ,went for a piss at H/T and I was side by side pissing alongside a mentally challenged.

Surreal experience.

We used to get 18,000 at the Piggery but I swear there were 25,000 crammed in there.

Correct mate,I remember buying Rangers end tickets from Parkhead once,was working in Cambuslang at time and nipped over to get them.

Makes me wonder where the demilitarised zone was back in the days before we opened the Centenary “Stand” and it was possible to walk from one end to the other. Did they stand under the roof or were they kept to the open West Terracing?
My first Ibrox Old Firm game was New Year 1973 which I’m guessing was the last before the planks went down.

When they got the full Broomloan, west enclosure, main stand and Govan stand, it was during a period where we were getting very very poor attendance's, that was the reason they got part of the Govan as that was never recognised as an area of Ibrox for them, they just bought up tickets for it as we weren't selling out our allocation. This only happened about 6 or 7 times and it was the early 80s

The filth support will always say this was the reason, we couldn’t sell our allocation. If there was one game we were guaranteed to turn up for, it was the scum at Ibrox.

My dad told me he was in the jungle against them.Always thought he was acting the goat with me.

Slightly off topic, my cousin bought 5 West Enclosure tickets instead of East for the Glasgow Cup vrs them (Ally hat-rick I think). Souness first game but Alex Totten took the team.
We met my cousin outside the district where he passed over the tickets. He was very lucky my mates never lynched him. Luckily the guys on the turnstiles didn't say no to a couple of quid.

I was a ballboy and a steward at Ibrox through the 70's and 80's and I can honestly say there was never a time when we were worried about our fans attendances at these games. Until Ibrox capacity was reduced, there were also rarely any all-ticketed games. The initial understanding on segregation was 60-40 for the home team. Also remember, that for most of history, Ibrox has had a significantly bigger capacity.

Slightly off topic, my cousin bought 5 West Enclosure tickets instead of East for the Glasgow Cup vrs them (Ally hat-rick I think). Souness first game but Alex Totten took the team.
We met my cousin outside the district where he passed over the tickets. He was very lucky my mates never lynched him. Luckily the guys on the turnstiles didn't say no to a couple of quid.
I was stewarding the stand that night and a couple of them came in the Govan because they used to get a wee bit in there but they fled and since Souness came they were never in the Govan again. We used to let some away fans in the main stand, but that disappeared soon after Souness too. Hearts were the last team to have a significant proportion of the main stand.

18500 to be exact on the Janefield st/kerrydale st end.
I think 1500 in the main stand.
Great days.
Still never found the bogs.

18500 to be exact on the Janefield st/kerrydale st end.
I think 1500 in the main stand.
Great days.
Still never found the bogs.
I remember being in the bogs one night for a midweek game and one guy was painting one end with a blue tin of paint and another at the other end of that big trough (it really was disgusting) with a tin of orange paint. That was between 79 and 81 when we still had about a third of the Priest's stand.

I can only remember a couple of games they got part of the Govan and, as others have mentioned, we were crap at the time and might not hsve sold out. The Govan was definitely all Bears by 1984, probably before that.
I can also remember going to the Piggery in the early 80s and there being loads of tickets for sale outside.
There was a number of seasons at that time our season was effectively over at New Year.

My grandpa told me that in the 30's we used to outnumber them in all but one small section of Hampden, before segregation. That was a time when we regularly attracted double their attendance for home games.

The sections in the Govan was a one off for a game they had a chance of winning the league and we were at our lowest. Loads of them turned up without tickets.

As well as our huge allocation in our end we had a fairly big section of their main stand.

The sections in the Govan was a one off for a game they had a chance of winning the league and we were at our lowest. Loads of them turned up without tickets.

As well as our huge allocation in our end we had a fairly big section of their main stand.

Not true, they were definitely in the Govan a few times.

It was around 1975 when we last got the Jungle.

There were still Rangers fans in the jungle for the 1-1 October 1975.
Im sure there were none for the 2-2 in September 1976. So it was
either the 0-0 at the end of 75/76 or the Glasgow Cup final 1976
when we last got an allocation.

Makes me wonder where the demilitarised zone was back in the days before we opened the Centenary “Stand” and it was possible to walk from one end to the other. Did they stand under the roof or were they kept to the open West Terracing?
My first Ibrox Old Firm game was New Year 1973 which I’m guessing was the last before the planks went down.

There was no segregation at all. For a normal game I'd watch the first half from the Celtic end if it was dry. Then I'd make my way round to the Copland for the second half. You could do this for a Celtic game if you were aff yer heid. They did come well in to the Derry. It was insanity with bottles flying in both directions..

Was in jungle once cup final v sheep, it was the last official fixture before it got demolished. Theyhad a friendly after it called blow away the blues or something. It was a shambles literally rivers of pish running down stand.

Back