Jamie Barjonas

Blue Max

I've been impressed with him in the small amount of time that he has had in pre-season. Took his goal very well against Nice and a fantastic pass with the outside of his right foot today, to find Patterson on the right wing.

Has certainly shown enough to suggest that he can make a good contribution this season. Best of luck to him.

You've got to admire his attitude and resilience. He's clearly showing up well in training, has improved and it taking his chance now.
That pass to Patterson was a thing of beauty, brilliant vision and execution, and gives us a glimpse of what Gerrard sees in him.

Greg Docherty is better than Jamie Barjonas.

Whether either are good enough to play for Rangers? I don’t know.

But the treatment of Docherty has been very poor imo.

I think Barjonas has shown more in his game time in pre season than Greg has, despite him having more time and opportunity.

I've been impressed with his passing ability and he's not shy of a shot at goal either.

I've been impressed with him in the small amount of time that he has had in pre-season. Took his goal very well against Nice and a fantastic pass with the outside of his right foot today, to find Patterson on the right wing.

Has certainly shown enough to suggest that he can make a good contribution this season. Best of luck to him.

Massively improved over the past 12 months. I'll be honest, I thought he was just a big lump when he came in under Pedro and that his success in youth football was just him being bigger and more physical.

I'm not sure how he fits in our system but he has a touch of the Charlie Adam about him now. I think he could get some important goals and assists this year, maybe as a back-up to Aribo but hurting teams by long passing/ shooting rather than quick feet.

Barjonas has the potential to be an important player, the Greg Docherty comparison is laughable. Docherty could never have made either of those passes. Barjonas reminded me of Barry the way he sprayed the ball about, chest out and demanding the ball.

Very poor? He was given two loan spells to prove himself and after both being a success, he was given a chance in pre-season and failed to make an impression clearly. Face it, he won't play for Rangers and that is because of his ability not because of poor treatment.

Barjonas has the potential to be an important player, the Greg Docherty comparison is laughable. Docherty could never have made either of those passes. Barjonas reminded me of Barry the way he sprayed the ball about, chest out and demanding the ball.

I think he looks very similar to Jack but more creative. If he develops then its promising. The coaching staff clearly rate him highly.

Docherty can’t pass like that and doesn’t suit Gerrards style.

Not sure about Barjonas but the management team think he deserves a chance , Docherty can’t even get on the pitch.

Docherty has had chances and never really taken them. Understand why we would all like him to do well but being a fan isn’t enough. He just isn’t good enough. Best he moves on and finds somewhere he can be good enough. But we have to be honest. Barjonas deserves his crack at the first team. Time will tell if he is or isn’t good enough. But Docherty ship has sailed.

Would have no issues with keeping Barjonas in and around the squad this season. He looks decent technically which it seems is a priority for Gerrard midfielders. If he can make an impression when he gets the chance then he might just flourish into an important squad player for us.

I don’t understand this line of thought to be honest.

It suggests there’s personal animosity towards Docherty by Gerrard and his coaching staff, that they’re deliberately overlooking a talent that could make us better.

Folk need to let it go. Docherty clearly lacks attributes the management want to see in our players.

Conversely they evidently feel Barjonas offers more.

Barjonas has shown up well in pre season but it’s easy to give him minutes when the pressure is off in a friendly. I’m not sure he’ll be trusted when the league starts and suspect Arfield will occupy the impact sub role.

How has the treatment very poor? Unfortunately, if you aren't showing enough in training or appearances then you won't get game time.

You've got to admire his attitude and resilience. He's clearly showing up well in training, has improved and it taking his chance now.
That pass to Patterson was a thing of beauty, brilliant vision and execution, and gives us a glimpse of what Gerrard sees in him.
Was that today? i only caught the first half hour.

I don’t remember a great deal of barjonas when he got his chances under previous management, but one has shone this pre season the other hasnt.

2 or 3 years ago Barjonas along with Johnston at Celtic was the best 1999 in the country.

Loan moves that haven't worked out have stalled his development.

Not sure where he goes from here.
Couple of seasons ago Barjo was a standout in the 20s and really looked like he would make the step up with little problem. This is the first I've seen him play in the first team with that same swagger about him.

Different players, but I think Barjonas looks very impressive. Built like a tank, assured touch - even on the half turn, can pass and shoot.

I don’t remember a great deal of barjonas when he got his chances under previous management, but one has shone this pre season the other hasnt.

Au contraire. I have always liked the look of this kid since he got his chance previously.

So comfortable on the ball and mature for his years I thought then. See if he can get some real confidence going I'd love him to develop that slightly (not over the top) arrogant streak he's a player that could go to the very top.

All ifs and buts but he is deserving of the chance Gerrard has given him.

Would have been good to see Barjonas get the full second half today. Kamara done nothing wrong but you feel Barjonas would have given a more direct option.

Barjonas is rated far higher at Ibrox than Doc mate.

He's a better technical player in terms of passing, possession retention, shooting, positional sense, but Doc would be more athletic.

However, I'd be more athletic than Doc and you certainly wouldn't want me in your midfield!!!
There's a lot more to being a top midfielder than pure athleticism.

Barjonas is a couple of years younger too.

Don’t know whether he will make it or not but too clear moments of quality in pre season cameos. The pass with outside of right foot today pure quality and in my view even better than the goal

difference is, mate, Barry was on the verge of Rangers captaincy when he was Barjo’s age. It’s good to see a young player confident but I don’t know where he fits in when there’s at least 5 players ahead of him.

As for Doc, I’ve always seen him as the natural replacement to Arfield, but I don’t think he’ll be about long enough for that to come a reality.

I've liked what I've seen from him this pre-season. Looks to have very good technical ability and I thought he took his goal against Nice very well.

Although I can see him going out on loan, I wouldn't be adverse to seeing him in and around the match day squad.

difference is, mate, Barry was on the verge of Rangers captaincy when he was Barjo’s age. It’s good to see a young player confident but I don’t know where he fits in when there’s at least 5 players ahead of him.

As for Doc, I’ve always seen him as the natural replacement to Arfield, but I don’t think he’ll be about long enough for that to come a reality.
I used to have that idea too, however I don’t think Doc has the game intelligence Arfield has. Nor the ability to retain possession and slow a game down (when required). Horses for courses and all that but for his own sake he needs to leave soon IMO.

Docherty had very similar stats to John McGinn in the SPFL before he signed for us.

Docherty went out on loan to Shrewsbury and was their player of the year.

Docherty was subject to (rumoured) 7 figure bids.

Docherty went to Hibs and the Hibs fans were desperate for him to go back.

Docherty played one for the Rangers first team last season. It was the 6-0 home win against St Joes, he got man of the match.

Barjonas has had 3 loan spells, none of which had the clubs wanting him back. The fans of Bury, Raith and Thistle didn’t think he was good enough for them.

I, personally, think Docherty has been given a rough ride under Gerrard. Others might disagree, that’s ok.

I think he could offer us some drive/goal threat from midfield. Again, others disagree, that’s ok.

The idea that Gerrard doesn’t fancy Docherty and we’ve just to accept it doesn’t wash with me. Gerrard has shown that he can have blind spots with players and can be very inflexible at times.

Has shown up much brighter than the likes of Scott Arfield. Will be surprised if he’s further ahead Of Arfield in the pecking order when real games come around though which is slightly frustrating.

Docherty had very similar stats to John McGinn in the SPFL before he signed for us.

Docherty went out on loan to Shrewsbury and was their player of the year.

Docherty was subject to (rumoured) 7 figure bids.

Docherty went to Hibs and the Hibs fans were desperate for him to go back.

Docherty played one for the Rangers first team last season. It was the 6-0 home win against St Joes, he got man of the match.

Barjonas has had 3 loan spells, none of which had the clubs wanting him back. The fans of Bury, Raith and Thistle didn’t think he was good enough for them.

I, personally, think Docherty has been given a rough ride under Gerrard. Others might disagree, that’s ok.

I think he could offer us some drive/goal threat from midfield. Again, others disagree, that’s ok.

The idea that Gerrard doesn’t fancy Docherty and we’ve just to accept it doesn’t wash with me. Gerrard has shown that he can have blind spots with players and can be very inflexible at times.
I agree with most of your points other than him getting a raw deal from the manager. I think he maybe doesn't suit the style of play he is looking for. I don't understand people stating barjonas is definitively the better player when he is yet to really show anything at the top level when docherty has played over 100 games in our league and done well down south. Jamie may potentially be better but hasn't shown it yet. A lot of folk clamour for the youths to play when Middleton, who was obviously deemed ready ahead of the rest has been written off by a lot of folk just for being inconsistent. For what it's worth I don't think doc is good enough for us but atm barjonas still has it all to prove. Hopefully he does.

I agree with most of your points other than him getting a raw deal from the manager. I think he maybe doesn't suit the style of play he is looking for. I don't understand people stating barjonas is definitively the better player when he is yet to really show anything at the top level when docherty has played over 100 games in our league and done well down south. Jamie may potentially be better but hasn't shown it yet. A lot of folk clamour for the youths to play when Middleton, who was obviously deemed ready ahead of the rest has been written off by a lot of folk just for being inconsistent. For what it's worth I don't think doc is good enough for us but atm barjonas still has it all to prove. Hopefully he does.

Do you not think Docherty’s drive/goal scoring from midfield would come in handy for games where we’re struggling to break teams down?

As a player, Kamara is head and shoulders above Docherty on talent, but would Docherty offer us something different at home v the low block?

I hope Barjonas proves me wrong and becomes a mainstay in the Rangers team for years to come.

The hard on some have for Docherty is mental.

He has shown nothing so far other than having a good engine that he is good enough.

He wanted to stay and fight for his place and clearly did not show enough to the management team that he has it to be a player with us.

He has been treated no different than anyone else

Back