Nathan Young Coombes to West Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s a very young guy who took the decision to leave London to try it up here. If he’s missing his friends and family down there then it would be hard to criticise him given his age and the fact he had the guts to give it a go in Scotland. Good luck to him.

Another potential impact factor for this move could be how he felt during lockdown.

Being so young, away from family, being in a publicised vulnerable category group, must have been mentally horrendous for someone so young.

If he does go then good luck, I'd be surprised if he's critical of the club.

Another potential impact factor for this move could be how he felt during lockdown.

Being so young, away from family, being in a publicised vulnerable category group, must have been mentally horrendous for someone so young.

Think he went home for lockdown mate. But I get what you're saying.

Either way, definitely think he was yearning for a move back south to get back to near his family friends etc. He seems to have got the move he wanted.

There is a good chance the kid went home for lockdown. The vast majority of players did. Perhaps that has impacted on him wanting to return though.

Best wishes to him

When was the last time we produced a forward from our youth who went on to have a successful career with us? I genuinely can’t think of one

He was miles away from 1st team football mate.
He's 17 and one of our best prospects, he can't have been that far away.

The news coming out of the academy hasn't been all that positive lately, with Kennedy and NYC leaving, plus Gerrards "ego" comments.

If it's homesickness, then it's nothing to worry about. But if it's the continuation of the Kennedy trend, then that's worrying.

That's a bit of a blow. Had high hopes for him at Rangers. As above, wonder if he was one of the people Gerrard was hinting at along with Kennedy?

Sad to lose another young talent though. Wonder how many more will be on their way? Looks like there is a fair amount of cleaning out going on with the staff and players.

Is that not the whole purpose though? Develop them for the first team, if not move them on at a profit?

Bingo. He's seemed to have stalled from the initial buzz from the first Alkass tournament.

Dapo shot past him as the striking option.

Not every youth player makes it through. He might even have a very successful career but we deal with the here and now.

The key difference is us now earning a few quid from deals like this that fund other buys instead of constantly paying boys off to go and have a good career around the lower leagues in England like Loy and Shinnie etc.

He's 17 and one of our best prospects, he can't have been that far away.

The news coming out of the academy hasn't been all that positive lately, with Kennedy and NYC leaving, plus Gerrards "ego" comments.

If it's homesickness, then it's nothing to worry about. But if it's the continuation of the Kennedy trend, then that's worrying.

He wasn't one of our best prospects.

He was one who did well through the age groups, but his progress was stalling..

Some will no doubt try to make a big deal out of this, but anyone who watches our youths regularly will know NYC wasn't making it with us.

Good luck to him though and hopefully he can still make a career out of the game.

Bingo. He's seemed to have stalled from the initial buzz from the first Alkass tournament.

Dapo shot past him as the striking option.

Not every youth player makes it through. He might even have a very successful career but we deal with the here and now.

The key difference is us now earning a few quid from deals like this that fund other buys instead of constantly paying boys off to go and have a good career around the lower leagues in England like Loy and Shinnie etc.
Nailed it. If they aren’t good enough then get a fee for them. FWIW, NYC is 3 years atleast away from first team, he’s stalled and is yet to develop into a man.
Doesn’t help we have folk here giving it “ throw him in, can he not play” as recently as last week. When he’s 16 and built like the side of a fiver.
He will score goals for fun at youth level though and best of luck to him. I think he will be a Ryan Hardie type who never quite makes the jump to first team.
I wish him all the best though as he is a natural goal scorer and seems a level headed kid.

Disappointed with this one. Really thought he had a chance of pushing through into our 1st team.
Anyways, all the best young man!

He wasn't one of our best prospects.

He was one who did well through the age groups, but his progress was stalling..

Some will no doubt try to make a big deal out of this, but anyone who watches our youths regularly will know NYC wasn't making it with us.

Good luck to him though and hopefully he can still make a career out of the game.
We have a number of youths who have contract extensions on the table and aren't signing them.

Somethings going on.

Best wishes to him

When was the last time we produced a forward from our youth who went on to have a successful career with us? I genuinely can’t think of one

Robert Fleck, Charlie Miller?

John Spencer and Gary McSwegan to a lesser extent.

I'm probably missing a more recent standout, but he's escaping me at the moment.

Reactions: BWO
Homesickness the likely deal breaker. And being back home during lockdown and having to go back up to Glasgow with no family etc probably sealed his move back down.

Plus, he's not exactly got a bad move. EPL academy/youth team or whatever is nothing to be disappointed about.

I certainly don't think he is one of the 'ego' players.

Good luck to the lad.

Is covid worse for gingers?

The current Covid-19 scenario wouldn't help and to be honest better to be nearer family in times like this.
I'm sure he enjoyed his time with us, and will relate to his new team mates at West Ham how professional we are in stark comparison as to how the governing bodies in Scotland are. ;)
Good luck to Nathan for the future.

I'm probably missing a more recent standout, but he's escaping me at the moment.
Little done alright, poor standard etc. Mckay if we count him was alright also. Aside from that I can’t think, many leave and have good careers alas McLean and Mcswegan.

Good shout with Fleck, just before my time.
Miller was a midfielder....Spencer & McSwegan were never really established players.

We have a number of youths who have contract extensions on the table and aren't signing them.

Somethings going on.
Not necessarily NYC, but too many ego's thinking they should be in the first team squad?

If that's their attitude then they need a kick up the arse.

We surely have to be insisting on a minimum 10-15% sell-on clause for any player being sold to a team down south, especially English youngsters.

Would be crazy not to with the amounts they tend to go for after even one or two decent-good seasons down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back