Can we really win the league this season?

We could of and should have won it last season. I think we can push on and do it this coming season.

The whole thing about leaders has been done to death.

Impossible to predict a league with the transfer window open for another 2 months.

Chances are us and the tims will look pretty different by the start of October.

The team that buys/loans right will win the league.

The team with the best players wins the league, the whole leaders argument is just an excuse and majorly overstated on here.
I agree about the team with the best players wins, but a born leader can get you a few extra points when a game looks lost.

Sorry to bring up brown, but when we won the last game at their midden, I thought he was the difference between us really rolling them over. He seemed to be lifting them by driving them on, when you could see they had no answers and seemed to be running out of ideas.

I definitely agree with other posters about the strengh in the squad. They looked a bit flat on their feet after the break. In this day and age with the amount of football played, especially if competing in europe a strong squad is essential.

The squad definitely needs freshened up. That goes for most clubs every season though. First 11, theres not much between both clubs at all, with a bit of luck and I include signings, I dont see why not.

I have us as slight favourites.

we are a younger team on the way up whereas they are on the decline. We’ll learn from last seasons mistakes.

If we can add Roofe, Vydra and/or Maja, I’ll have us as comfortable favourites

We will need to be like Pep's Barca this year.

The decisions that will go against us/for them will defy belief this season.

The refs, compliance officer, governing bodies, appeals panels and Scottish media will do absolutely everything in their power to hinder us.

The April/May shambles of this year has shown us the blatant lengths they will go to.

Just thinking if we can.
I’m not the pessimistic type but when it come to Rangers that’s sometimes my default position.

I hope we can but I’m not convinced we will, as I don’t see too many leaders in that squad and that concerns me.
Not with our squad at this moment. If we lose Kent and Hagi to injury our attacking options are woeful.

Depends on who we sign.

We can’t go in with the same starting XI and expect to win anything. There has to be some serious upgrades.

As Einstein said, Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

We need better players, it’s as simple as that.
I totally agree with this.
I’m hoping we still have 4 automatic first choices still to be signed.
I assume we’ll sell Alfie, if he brings in £20m then why not, that will fund these 4 new signings
Firstly a centre forward who has some form of track record. Someone more stable than Alfie. £8m
A centre half who could partner Goldson and importantly be our next captain £5m
A right back who can be ultra consistent throughout the season £3m
A central midfielder to boss the midfield as one hard and fit b.astard £4m
If we signed these guys (whoever they are) and they fitted in then we’d probably win the league.

.............................McGregor.................

NewRB......Goldson...New CH.....Barisic

..................Jack........New Mid...............

.............Aribo........Hagi.........Kent..........

..........................New Forward................

Subs
Kamara
Barker
Davis
Defoe
Etc

I think the majority of the players are good enough. Even those left out a lot. But will need Celtic to be off the boil because the manager has so far shown he prefers philosophy over wins and time and again we come unstuck without the tools to help ourselves.

Not a chance in hell will we be allowed to stop their tainted ten. We all seen the blatant corruption in the summer to give them nine they didn't even hide it. Hand on heart does anyone truly believe that the scumbags who run our game and It's not just them but the whole of the Scottish government are going to let us ruin their reason for living.

They kicked us down to the fourth tier ffs because they couldn't beat us on the park. Every game we play we are treated differently than any other club.

It's a sad state of affairs and makes my blood boil.

I assume we’ll sell Alfie, if he brings in £20m then why not, that will fund these 4 new signings
Firstly a centre forward who has some form of track record. Someone more stable than Alfie. £8m
If we signed these guys (whoever they are) and they fitted in then we’d probably win the league.

Subs
Kamara
Barker
Davis
Defoe
Etc

Thick skin loyal this is what I'd be aiming for - rotate Kent, Hagi, Ferguson and Aribo

............................McGregor.................

Tav..Goldson..Edmundson..Helander..Barisic

..................Jack.......Kamara...............

.............Hagi ............... ..Ferguson..................

.................Aribo......Dykes...............

Paterson
Bassey
Davis
Kent
Arfield
Stewart
Shankland or new St
Murphy

We live in hope. I believe it’s possible but the odds are against us I’m afraid.

Ask me again when the transfer window closes

Of course we can.
We are more than a match for them and I think the pressure their fans/media will lump on them to get the title will mean less consistency than last season.

I am positive we can cut out the mid season malaise that has cost us the last couple of years.

I’m the pessimistic type also by default. As the squad is the now, no we can’t.

I think the key is to sell Morelos and get 3 people in and yes I think we will have a chance. Need a change of mentality from the players and unfortunately no amount of money etc can buy that.

Thick skin loyal this is what I'd be aiming for - rotate Kent, Hagi, Ferguson and Aribo

Paterson
Bassey
Davis
Kent
Arfield
Stewart
Shankland or new St
Murphy

Good god

Right now no
We don't have the depth of squad.
We are short in quality in first 11 and off the bench.
Definitely short of fire power.

Over a 38 game season just now we will fall just short.
If Morelos stays will his head be in it?

I said when we were going through our slump last year that the team needed winners and leaders in it with a strong mentality.

So far that’s not been addressed so I don't think anything will change until that happens... time will tell

Paterson
Bassey
Davis
Kent
Arfield
Stewart
Shankland or new St
Murphy
Tbf if we can sneak 12 players onto the pitch without the opposition or ref noticing I agree we will have a much stronger chance of winning the league :p

We won’t be winning the league with the current squad, that’s for sure

I understand the uniqueness about the current climate but It’s pretty disappointing how few quality additions we’ve added thus far. Need 3/4 genuine first team players to come close tbh

Depends on what team shows up .The one who played the first half of the season
Or the team who played the second half of the season.

Of course we can win the league!

I can't believe the amount of negativity on here. People saying we actually cannot win? And people moan about tav? How can you expect our players to show faith in themselves when their supporters won't. Jesus christ. Strap on a pair, get behind them and lets get fvcking tore in.

We can beat and even dominate them on our day. That means all we actually have to do to win the league is beat every other team in the league, who all have a small fraction of our budget and we should always be favourites against. That should of course be possible in the main (there will always be some slip ups). So of course we can win.

Subs
Kamara
Barker
Davis
Defoe
Etc

No chance are we replacing Tav for 3 million ffs.

The cold hard facts are that we weren’t good enough last year and so far haven’t strengthened our first XI. And it seems our best player is on the cusp of leaving.

The management and board are either in denial; lacking in funds; or still have a few aces up their sleeves. I hope to god it’s the latter.

I personally felt that the team needed freshened up a bit. I near the guy no malice but Tav is about to enter his 5th season as a Ranger and has delivered nothing as a captain in that time. Plus when the lad has made mistakes they have often unfortunately cost us big time. Right back and captain is one area I’d have looked to change.

I fear that a midfield which has to rely on at least one of Kamara, Arfield or Davis starting every week won’t be strong enough.

And finally I fear that at this stage if we lose Morelos then it will really difficult to replace what he brings to the team. And that’s before we talk about back up strikers.

Those were my personal worries. It looks like Tav will be staying and keeping the armband - fair enough, I’ll back him like I’ve always done. If we fail to strengthen the starting midfield and don’t sort out the striking options then my gut tells me the scum will have too much over the course of 38 games, even if we bloody their nose on the way. Again, I hope I’m wrong.

A more important question for me is...will we be allowed to win the league?

A few additions in key areas and consistency right through the season and we can absolutely win it on the park.

I think probably not.

Whatever the result against the sheep in the first match - win, lose or draw, we will see some horrendous refereeing decisions go against us in that first game. As has been the case for the last few years. That will continue throughout the season.

And, the decisions against us and the decisions the Papes get in their favour will, as time goes by, become more bizarre than has ever been seen before.

This refereeing factor renders other issues such as recruitment, strength up front, in midfield and at the back inconsequential.

Kevin Clancy has already alluded to how the referees are aware of the "importance" of the season in terms of the quest for the mentally challengeds tainted ten. This alone is what will be our biggest hurdle, and I fear we do not enough in hand to overcome it.

I'm all in for victory but in no way do i thinks the 1st team has been strengthened as needed. Not even close.

Every one of us knows the starting 11 needs strengthened, even SG has admitted as much.

Well we have a new back up goalie to replace Fods and we have a new CB due to the injury to Katic as well as Helander's inability to get himself fit.

So with the season a few days ago are we better off compared to when last season finished? Quite clearly we are not by any reckoning better off, we have stood still, the expected strengthening in midfield, out wide and upfront has not materialised.

Can we win the title? I'm a Bear so my heart says Yes but realistically I worry that our old failings have not been rectified with 2, 3 or even 4 quality signings, so until these new desperately needed players arrive (and I haven't given up hope they will) I think we will once again come up short.

We can beat and even dominate them on our day. That means all we actually have to do to win the league is beat every other team in the league, who all have a small fraction of our budget and we should always be favourites against. That should of course be possible in the main (there will always be some slip ups). So of course we can win.
But we only play the tactics that beat about 70% of the league. It's clearly the issue.

We have a great bunch of technical players... but most of them were part of that group who chucked it a few months ago when we were in a f**king great position. On top of that the management showed little ability to change things in domestic games when things weren't going well - so this is probably the most downbeat I have felt in a few years ahead of a new season. Hoping for the best but fearing the worst.

We are currently not strong enough. We lack creativity in the middle of the park and have very limited options up front.
If we strengthen and put them under pressure, I'm convinced Lennon will crack.

I think it’s 75% Sellick & 25% Us...we need 2/3 players into our starting 11 & we are 2 days away from KO. Add to the fact we are losing our only fit striker it does not look good. From the games I’ve seen over pre-season its just same as last 2 seasons...if anything we’ve regressed.

I hate to say it but it could be a very long season & I hope & pray I’m wrong. Maybe playing without Supporters helps us.

Just thinking if we can.
I’m not the pessimistic type but when it come to Rangers that’s sometimes my default position.

I hope we can but I’m not convinced we will, as I don’t see too many leaders in that squad and that concerns me.
Now pay attention : Leicester won a league far bigger, more difficult, tougher and wealthier than ours. They took on teams with budgets in the hundreds of millions.
What was your question again ?

If allowed to yes. Hopefully all the latest stink with the SPFL might make them think twice about being so blatant.

I don't believe we will. We struggle for depth IMO and let's not forget the squad shite themselves when the pressure is on. We need harder c-nts in our team to help drive them forward more mentally. They need a sit down with bomber

Not with the current way football in this country is ran. If Celtic need help on the pitch they have Collum and Clancy. Off it they have a SPFL board and compliance officer who will act on their wishes.

Of course we can. We have the beating of them and man for man I would put us ahead. We're the only one of both who have strengthened so far. Kamara, Aribo and Hagi really do excite me as ball players. We don't need hot and cold players though, just consistency.

I also think we have ten times the manager they do.

Back