Andre Gray

Every transfer for every club in the world is a risk. But that risk is mitigated for the wealthier clubs as they can spend money on “sure things”. Even then it doesn’t always work out but more often than not they get exactly what they paid for and expected.

Gone are the days that we could sign a “sure thing”. I can’t imagine ever seeing us with a Laudrup or Gascoigne ever again, so in the meantime we are forced to shop in the Andre Gray market. It isn’t ideal but let’s trust our staff hoping that we get more Alfredos than Penas.
Even with Gazza we only got him after he’d had a bad injury and it put off other clubs.
And Laudrup despite his obvious utter brilliance,didn’t actually do very well in Italy before we signed him.

Your general point is a very good one though and absolutely relevant to where we are in the market.

It looks like depending on the Alfredo transfer saga will depend on what quality we get, I actually thought we would have had another striker in by now for the French Tournament games and new season starting.

With other leagues just finishing, ours just starting it’s going to be a mental transfer window. With the rumoured interest in Borna from Palace for example we could end up losing a key player in the first week of October:oops:

McBurnie isn't prolific yet he would be a cracking signing irrespective of what some think of him. He's a good player. He's outwith our budget though.

Firminho never hit a home goal last season (did that stat stand?), he scored 9 league goals.

Lys Moysset would get a game up top for us, he scored 6 league goals.

Leicester had a great campaign, Inheanacho bagged 5 league goals.

Origi got 4 for Liverpool.

You've sometimes got to look past the stats. I think Gray started 7 league games in 2019/20. He scored 2 league goals.

Playing on the opposition's shoulder, good movement, strong. Attributes he possesses. He's shown in the past that he can score. Is the hunger and desire still there?
Firminho scored against Chelsea .

Think he used to play for Wycombe when I lived nearby in Marlow, if I remember correctly.
He had some Headbangers as mates . Hopefully he has grown up since then.

Can't see it happening. I would have thought that he would want to stay down south as would his girlfriend who's in Little Mix. Can't see them wanting to move up here.

Well not for me to say how a gay supporter would feel. I wasn't personally affected by his comments, just stating my opinion - the club would face a lot of backlash if we signed this guy & there would rightfully be questions asked of how it fits in with the everyone anyone campaign.

If they're prepared to face that & think they can handle it then fair enough sign him. I'm not personally set against the signing, just questioning how it fits in with our policy and wondering what it means for the campaign we've been making a lot of noise about.
Or he has learned from his mistakes doesn't believe that and openly supports and becomes heavily involved in the campaign.

Sometimes someone has changed and openly admits mistakes is more powerful a message than a player reading from a card

Can't see it happening. I would have thought that he would want to stay down south as would his girlfriend who's in Little Mix. Can't see them wanting to move up here.

A 45 minute flight away is hardly moving to the end of the earth.

Maybe Deeney could be tempted to win something before the end of his career? Would be a good stop gap for us.

A Watford sub?

He actually played quite regular this season up until Nigel Pearson came in as manager.

Watford really shouldn't be getting relegated with the players they have, they actually have a good side on paper.

Pearson came in with different ideas and with Deeney being the captain and only one playing up front it stunted Gray's chances of game time.

Gray can play wide as well but Ismaila Sarr burst onto the scene and he had no chance after that as he's an outstanding talent.

So we can’t get a guy on loan until we sell Alfie?
God hope finances aren’t that tight

All linked to players moving on.

giphy.gif

I don't get the "Watford sub" comment.

Kent was a Liverpool under 23 player, Goldson couldn't get a game for Brighton, Hagi wasn't a guaranteed starter for Genk. They are three of our most important players.

Some players find themselves out of favour with their manager and it's not always down to ability or lack of.

Get the feeling we have a list of targets if Morelos goes and another list if he stays and are now completely in Limbo.

We will have a list of players we wouldn’t mind signing, Gray could be on it or he might not be. Just because he’s on it though doesn’t mean the player would be interested in the first place.

Hope I’m wrong but heard all these rumours before

I don't get the "Watford sub" comment.

Kent was a Liverpool under 23 player, Goldson couldn't get a game for Brighton, Hagi wasn't a guaranteed starter for Genk. They are three of our most important players.

Some players find themselves out of favour with their manager and it's not always down to ability or lack of.
A fair point but for me, in Gray's case, it seems a bit different. Any time I've seen him play he doesn't ever look like making any impression on the game. Some players you can tell aren't the greatest but still are capable of decent performances, any time I've seen Gray he looks like a shadow of a footballer. It's probably a confidence thing with him but I'm not sure we can take a gamble on someone who's 29 and on high wages in the hope they show some form they've not shown for 4 years or so. I know it's a step down in quality coming to Scotland but that doesn't always mean the player will cope better and that's the feeling I get seeing him play

Terrible news if true .

Huge wages and a transfer fee for someone almost 30 and questionable off field behaviour .

Red flags all over the place - if true of course .

I'd have to agree mate, would rather it's loan to buy to give us time to consider him over
a decent time period.

Even his biggest fan would accept that there are questions to be answered.

Terrible news if true .

Huge wages and a transfer fee for someone almost 30 and questionable off field behaviour .

Red flags all over the place - if true of course .
Only recently turned 29 is that almost 30 ? He will play until he’s what 34. That’s 5 seasons .

I think a senior / prime player at CF would be very good for us , coupled with a breaking talent eg Maja that to me makes sense

She knows her place anyway after @Gregco campaigned against her band on twitter to get Glad all over number 1 ahead of them :D

I think Gray would do well up here he certainly has the physical presence to cope and also quite quick. Had 1 good season at Burnley that shows he knows where the net is wouldnt discount him based on his return in the EPL. Only stumbling block I guess would be the fee and wages as I would take a good guess that he will be on a lot of money at Watford.

Back