Can we really win the league this season?

We absolutely can win it, but to do that we need two things,

- A tougher mentality particularly post Christmas - it's unacceptable the collapses of the last two seasons and if we can't overcome a blip we'll be nowhere near again
- Signings in key positions - still don't believe the squad is strong enough and we lack options off the bench. We need to spend wisely and the players need to be good enough to go into the first team

I think our first choice XI beats their first choice XI in a head to head game, but I think they have more goals from midfield and are better suited to getting past some of the dross in the league (at this point). If we can add a couple of key players in the attacking areas I think it'll make a huge difference to us

Heart says yes, head says no (at present). If Morelos gets sold soon and we bring in 2no good strikers, and improve our bench then we may have a chance, but as it stands we will struggle.

We can, and we must! The past few years of getting stick from the Celtic supporting members of my family have been absolute hell, if they get the 10, I'm going to end up either killing them or myself!

Of course we can win it, with the current squad it is going to be an incredibly tall order though.

We need a real injection of quality into the starting lineup.

On the field is the only thing that matters though. if you honestly believe that the refs are going out their way to cheat us though, there is no point in us playing, or the fans watching. Just give the tims the title just now.

all the board room and court stuff has been done to death. When they announced the panel for hearts arbitration, most were happy as it could not be appointed by SFA/SPFL. Then when the decision does not go the way most thought, the screams of conspiracy again!!!
You said
“On the field is the only thing that matters though”
Yes it is and unfortunately for us the officials are also on the field of play and referee us to a different standard, if in the unlikely event the officials miss any misdemeanours then there’s always trial by Sportscene which is then picked up by the oh so impartial Compliance Officer now and amazingly you just brush off the biggest crooked fiasco Scottish football has ever seen that incidentally was conveniently done in secret with absolutely nothing being released to a normally leaky media as a conspiracy.
So if you don’t believe or think I’m being paranoid then I’ll end this conversation now.

No point in playing if we don't think we can win the league or expect to.

Of course we can.

Just have to deal with certain situations better. We've got to take our chances when given an opportunity, handle the heat, pressure and expectations. We have to be more ruthless in terms of finishing off the opposition. The manager has to learn to make the right and required changes before and during a match. Obviously we need to be refereed in fair manner and need that bit of luck. That along with a number of quality additions.

It's a core of players that are up there or are the best in the country; McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson, Barišić, Jack, Kamara, Kent, Hagi, Aribo.

Iv learned over the last few years not to get too carried away. I'll not start genuinely beleiving we have a chance until we are near neck and neck / ahead of them going into the split, until then i'll always have the worry that we will lose consistency like we are renowned for. Ability isnt the issue, its consistency

Think some people underestimate how much of a massive impact Hagi can have.

Kent has had a full pre-season.

They both and Aribo are a year older, developing all the time, and are more used to the Scottish game.

Might look like 'the same squad' but its constantly getting better, and I think we will mount a much stronger challenge this year.

That’s a brilliant point.

I still feel we need a few more quality additions and the manager has to be more adaptable than he has been in his first 2 seasons.

Too often it feels like groundhog day watching the same game replay, in which we drop points.

If both of the above happen then we will have a shot and truthfully for the gaffer, he has to deliver it next season. It's last chance saloon. You don't get a 4th year in Glasgow without a league title.

I thought we were going to win it this year. Only a January visit to Dubai and COVID19 seemed to put a halt to that. We are good enough -there needs to be a belief (a commentator said none of the team have won anything). I think that's why Steve D and Greegsy are so vital. They know what it means.

You said
“On the field is the only thing that matters though”
Yes it is and unfortunately for us the officials are also on the field of play and referee us to a different standard, if in the unlikely event the officials miss any misdemeanours then there’s always trial by Sportscene which is then picked up by the oh so impartial Compliance Officer now and amazingly you just brush off the biggest crooked fiasco Scottish football has ever seen that incidentally was conveniently done in secret with absolutely nothing being released to a normally leaky media as a conspiracy.
So if you don’t believe or think I’m being paranoid then I’ll end this conversation now.
The arbitration was impartial- ie not appointed bySFA. Do you believe that celtic have QCs or judges in their pockets?
All the paranoia goes away if we win on the pitch.
Timmy was most paranoid when we were doing to them what is happening to us right now.

The arbitration was impartial- ie not appointed bySFA. Do you believe that celtic have QCs or judges in their pockets?
All the paranoia goes away if we win on the pitch.
Timmy was most paranoid when we were doing to them what is happening to us right now.
Celtic have the SFA, SPFL and referees in their pockets. They also invented the position of compliance officer to deal solely with big bad Rangers.
I don't ever remember us being able to wield such power and influence.

We are capable but need better attacking options and better application and belief from the players oh and fair officials

Just thinking if we can.
I’m not the pessimistic type but when it come to Rangers that’s sometimes my default position.

I hope we can but I’m not convinced we will, as I don’t see too many leaders in that squad and that concerns me.
Id take a goalscoring midfielder over a leader any day. People put too much emphasis on having a leader in a team. If you have enough talent and endeavour - we will be just fine.

Haven't read through the thread, as much as I hope we can win it, my gut feeling is Liverpool would struggle to win it this year if they were in our league.
The dark forces will be out big time.
Will be blatant too.

We can live in hope.However,if we do not make 3 or 4 quality signings and hopefully our manager has learned from the past couple of seasons I don't think we will.With the current squad I don't think we will win the league this season and without strengthening I can't see us winning the league any time soon.
Come on Rangers prove me wrong.

Yes, we can. We are capable of winning each individual match, the question is whether we have the desire, energy, creativity and mental strength to see it through.

I think we have the players but having seen the refs last season Clancy's article the other day I just dont think we will be allowed to. Every marginal decision in our games will go against us and the Tim's will get every marginal decision

Not impossible but not likely as it stands at the moment. Still short on genuine difference makers in the first 11 and strength in depth in the squad. Things can change quickly though and in the last 20 years or so we have seen significant swings from one team to the other, from one season to the next when it wasnt expected. I expect both ourselves and Celtic to lose first choice players this summer.

We are good enough but we haven’t been consistent enough. Cure the consistency and we win the league. We are better than the beasts+ref, and any other team in the league. We just stuttered after the winter break and let it slip. I’m hoping that now Joe, Glen, Iannis, and Fil have had enough time to feel settled, that they bring their A game to the team more often.
I’m happy with that.
I seen I had commented on the thread but was buggered if I knew what I said. :)) :))

Turns out it was a stroll.

Confirmation if it was ever needed that there’s too much pessimism in this place :D

A lot of fair points about us needing to get more players in at that point tbf. Roofe, Itten and Balogun have all been massive for our depth and stopped the same sort of fatigue setting in.

But then there are the proper pessimists, aye.

Back