five out of nine possible subs - we put one on

I played in an era with no substitutes the only time you went off is with a broken leg. Sometimes subs help and sometimes they don't. You keep on hearing commentators saying this player is tiring after 60 minutes.If he is that tired he shouldn't have started. It's upto the manager we badly need more quality hopefully the money we get for Alfie will help. We need a better starting eleven.

The game opened up with around 20 to go.

I think that would have been the perfect time to rest Aribo and throw Barker or Murphy on.

If not then, then defo after the red card.

Do you think we would have won the game then, or maybe prevented all the chances they created?
surely with a four month break and only a one goal lead we are playing a dangerous game in not freshing it up why go for five subs if not using it to keep the advantage

We kept the advantage. It was 1-0 for us.

Do you think we would have won the game then, or maybe prevented all the chances they created?

Who knows but a pacey fresh tricky outlet might have helped get a second while giving Aribo a breather....

It’s about game management I’d say....we’ll run these boys into the ground at this rate

And worryingly the one who came on was Arfield, who I'm not sure made an accurate pass to a team mate and who has a first touch which is as bad as they get.
Man really? Have you got nothing positive to give us?

Gerrad has always been wary about using subs. Hopefully something that will be addressed with more experience in time.
He has had two full seasons. How much experience does he need to work it out? Hagi had a poor game and Morelos didn’t look fit at all. Those two should have been off by 60 minutes.

Am i missing something , Aberdeen got a lift from their subs but we refuse to use ours ,fresh legs new energy new drive whats that all about ????????
If ain’t broke, then don’t fix it - Arfield was a good swap for the fading Hagi.
No real issues anywhere else that warranted a change.

Am i missing something , Aberdeen got a lift from their subs but we refuse to use ours ,fresh legs new energy new drive whats that all about ????????
We won the game with the settled and preferred players on the park.

No complaints on use of subs for me. Just because we have the option for 5 doesn't mean we need to use them.

We won the game ? Maybe changing it could easily have upset the system when we looked in control. No pleasing some people.

He has had two full seasons. How much experience does he need to work it out? Hagi had a poor game and Morelos didn’t look fit at all. Those two should have been off by 60 minutes.

Who do you suggest he brought on for this “unfit” Morelos?

As for Hagi he didn’t have a poor game at all, changing our whole attacking style 60 minutes in would have done us no good at all.

Thankfully you aren’t the gaffer

Last edited:
There are two points here and both play into why we allowed Aberdeen to gain momentum in second half

Gerrard is terrible when it comes to the use of subs, from the very first game against Aberdeen 2 seasons ago onwards

The bench is poor, options ain’t great ...but .who has bought those players / kept them at the club?

In the modern game , you need to use your subs to inject fresh energy into the team / up the pace of things

Let's face it apart from arfield today. Who else was he going to put on today bar injury. No need for Bassey, Helander or Patterson to come on when 1 up to Aberdeen. Patterson may come on as part of the 5 if we're say 3 up at home to st johnstone. Were needing more and better attacking players.

I'd probably have put Barker on to stretch the game especially when they went down to 10 but let's be honest, although we weren't creating much we were absolutely dominating that game in terms of stopping Aberdeen playing at all. I can see why we didn't change any of the defenders or midfield

If you upset the rhythm of your team by making too many subs and end up conceding then you're slaughtered for that as well. I'm happy with the win, three points and not looking for any other negatives. It's the first game of the season, none of them should exactly be tired.

Our bench highlighted that our overall squad is fairly weak. 9 subs and only 1 of them a centre mid.

Aye you're missing a brain pal. Go have a hard think about why we made the subs we did.

Today it was

It should look considerably stronger with Davis and Defoe back and 3-4 new signings which will hopefully come in

I think both players are too long in the tooth to make a significant difference to a title challenge, albeit they’ll be far better options than what was there today. Anyhow, if we can get a couple of quality players in over the next couple of weeks the whole outlook could change.

If I remember right, last year we were winning 1-0, SG brought on a sub with a few minutes to go to shore up.
What happened we conceded a late equaliser.

He seems to have learnt from that mistake. :))

Thread started with having a go at aribo and now it’s on too Gerrard.
We have went upto pittodrie and come away with three points and yet we having some moaning. Get a grip for goodness sake.

Yet we won the game pretty comfortably in the end. Aribo should have scored at the end to kill it, but overall it was comfortable. I also feel had they scored at our goal mouth scramble we’d have got a second too.

If we get that important 2nd goal then more changes and rest for some players. Don't forget at the back we were not being put under any pressure really so no need for change.

Back