Roofe is a great fit for us

Coza

If Morelos goes as we all expect I can’t help but feel Roofe actually would be a great fit in our system. He can play any of the front three positions but with Hagi having Kent and Roofe ‘s pace to hit it would be a great three and would mean if Kent drops off the front there is still pace in behind.

Hagi lacks that pace but if 2 of the front 3 have it we will really benefit.

That is of course all under the assumption we would get the Roofe that was so dynamic at Leeds and not someone who is done.

Seems to be held in high regard on here for someone who has never been a prolific striker. Him being able to play anywhere along the front 3 seems kind of irrelevant, we need a striker, Kent and Hagi will play every week either side.

Might well be a good player but if Morelos goes we need to replace his goals, don’t know that Roofe has that in him

I haven't seen much of him. How is his hold up play?
From the clips ive seen he doesnt look the hold up type, but highlight clips dont tend to show good hold up play

I know many won't agree, but I actually think our play up top and in the final third will actually improve when Morelos leaves. And I think the players around the forward area will benefit as a result.

I am excited by this opportunity to freshen things up in our attack/striking area and adopt a new approach. Because, as we saw again today, it continues to be an issue.

Seems to be held in high regard on here for someone who has never been a prolific striker. Him being able to play anywhere along the front 3 seems kind of irrelevant, we need a striker, Kent and Hagi will play every week either side.

Might well be a good player but if Morelos goes we need to replace his goals, don’t know that Roofe has that in him

I watched Leeds quite a bit that past two years when he was converted to a main striker and he can more than do it for us. But obviously it won’t be a like for like.

If he plays instead of Morelos you are then asking for him Kent and Hagi/Aribo to all interchange so they all need to get a lot more of a return at the sharp end than previous seasons. Spreading the Morelos return among them.

I know many won't agree, but I actually think our play up top and in the final third will actually improve when Morelos leaves. And I think the players around the forward area will benefit as a result.

I am excited by this opportunity to freshen things up in our attack/striking area and adopt a new approach. Because, as we saw again today, it continues to be an issue.

What are you basing that on? Given that he has been absolutely pivotal to the way we play?

Someone always has to take it too far. One of Morelos’ main strengths is with his back to goal.

I am excited by this opportunity to freshen things up in our attack/striking area.

I agree but it will go down like a lead balloon in here. Morelos is raw outside the box for me and while sometimes brilliant he can be a total bomb scare at times too. I’d rather he stay and develop with us to the complete player he can become but he is obviously offski.

Someone always has to take it too far. One of Morelos’ main strengths is with his back to goal.

Yeah we will badly miss Morelos back to goal play. No doubt.

Roofe absolutely doesn’t bring that for us but I do think some of the other play around the box will improve.

Got a feeling the moment the Morelos money is in this will happen, and that the deal has been agreed 'in principle'

Totally guessing by the way, but just feels our interest in him is concrete and we've already tested the waters with the loan to buy offer

I agree but it will go down like a lead balloon in here. Morelos is raw outside the box for me and while sometimes brilliant he can be a total bomb scare at times too. I’d rather he stay and develop with us to the complete player he can become but he is obviously offski.
Agreed.

He is offski. We all know that. This is an opportunity to address the continued issues in the final third and our lack of clinical finishing when it matters.

As I say, I am excited by the new opportunity this brings. And I feel the likes of Hagi and Kent can benefit.

Alfie's departure doesn't even seem to be imminent going by the noises we are hearing.

It needs resolved asap. I am sure we will have a list of targets dependent on Alfie going and Alfie staying.

We can't have this cloud hanging over us for weeks and developing into another transfer window saga with regards to Alfie.

Here’s an idea, could we not bring in Roofe and keep Alfie, if his head’s in it?

I know o_O right?!

Alfie's departure doesn't even seem to be imminent going by the noises we are hearing.

It needs resolved asap. I am sure we will have a list of targets dependent on Alfie going and Alfie staying.

We can't have this cloud hanging over us for weeks and developing into another transfer window saga with regards to Alfie.
Alfie is going.

I'd rather we just get a deal done ASAP so we can all move on. We can't have this dragging on. No good for anyone.

Get the deal done, get our new players in and let's properly kick on.

Unless our valuation is being met and he goes out and gives his all then so be it. The English leagues have virtually just finished and this window is opened until the first week in October. That’s where we will get our money from imo.

Alfie is going.

I'd rather we just get a deal done ASAP so we can all move on. We can't have this dragging on. No good for anyone.

He isn't going unless Lille come back with an improved offer. They could easily decide to move on. Nothing is imminent as it stands.

He isn't going unless Lille come back with an improved offer. They could easily decide to move on. Nothing is imminent as it stands.
A conclusion to all this as soon as possible is best for all parties. Need this done, dusted and out the way so we can all move on and get our replacements bedded into the team.

Alfie is going.

Is he? When? Not trying to start an argument, but the Club is bigger than Lille, imo, much bigger.

Think people need to understand whoever replaces Alfie will not be as good a player they may make us a better balanced team but they will not be as an effective individual

Is he? When? Not trying to start an argument, but the Club is bigger than Lille, imo, much bigger.
We all know he has been wanting out of this backwater for a while mate. And I can't blame him.

If he has the opportunity to play in a proper league he is going to take it.

This young lad from Colombia has given us three good years. I don't begrudge him a move to a better league.

And with a new addition to his family he will be looking at the off field aspect as well, so they can settle somewhere for a bit.

I'll stake my life on the fact that he won't be here after 5th October.

I think it will be concluded sooner rather than later. Which is best for all parties.

Unless our valuation is being met and he goes out and gives his all then so be it. The English leagues have virtually just finished and this window is opened until the first week in October. That’s where we will get our money from imo.

Agreed mate he will continue to give his all. Just saying the whole is he staying or is he going saga is horrendous for the club and will continue to be a dark cloud hanging over us. It's in the club and players interest to find a resolution to this asap.

We will have different targets based on whether Morelos stays or goes thats why it dragging on for another 6 weeks is no use to us. We could be out of a title race by then or lose targets we are ready to move on if Alfie goes.

36 goals in 89 games over the last 3 seasons isn't too bad a return. No reason why he couldn't improve on it further playing for a top team in a poor league.

Last edited:
Morelos can be a bomb scare at times. He has missed some glaring chances over the years. Has been very raw. But with his negatives his positives
far outweigh all of them. He single handedly has pulled us out the shit and bullied defenders on his own leading a line on his own. As much as I can see where you're coming from with freshening things up he will be impossible to replace in not only his goal return but overall hold up and lone striker play. Be gutted when he leaves but maybe for the nest as he gets such a hard time here that he won't be allowed to reach his potential. I do think Lille would be an excellent platform for him. Roofe I'm not so sure that I'd be over the moon with being our main striker given his injuries and his goalscoring record isn't great.

We may have a greater tradition, trophies won and overall fanbase but Lille are a big club in a top league.

He would undoubtedly see it as a step up.
Lifting the title with us, nothing better mate, imo.

Not by any stretch suggesting Roofe is poor. But I dont really see why he is the almost unanimous choice to replace Alfie.

Genuinely a bit perplexed why so many seem to hold him in extremely high regard.

Just seems to me a decent, talented but injury prone guy. Anderlecht finished 4th and 8th I think since he has been there, he hasn't troubled anywhere near thr top of the scoring charts?

Why the clamour for him?

Back